I didn't, and don't, see the Q10 as abandoning existing customers. If they weren't interested in BB10 with the Q10, I can't imagine putting familiar buttons on the same OS as a game changer in that respect. Anyone who didn't like the Q10, and sees the exact same phone simply in old packaging is a suckered for marketing ploys. And I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to BlackBerry users that they can see past that thin veil and see the Classic for what it really is: the Q10... again.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Well, that's where we disagree. Similar discussions have, no doubt, raged within the meeting rooms of BB for years. We're not likely to resolve it here. You, and many others, seem to underestimate the important functionality provided by the tool belt. Edit 100 spreadsheet cells per day on a Q and then ponder how "uninteresting" a tool belt is. Abandoning the tool belt was an abject abandonment of a great number of legacy users. IMO.
    08-11-14 01:37 PM
    I didn't, and don't, see the Q10 as abandoning existing customers. If they weren't interested in BB10 with the Q10, I can't imagine putting familiar buttons on the same OS as a game changer in that respect. Anyone who didn't like the Q10, and sees the exact same phone simply in old packaging is a suckered for marketing ploys. And I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to BlackBerry users that they can see past that thin veil and see the Classic for what it really is: the Q10... again.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    i disagree with u also, while the q10 and classic are very similar the classic has the belt and thats a significant difference. users like myself will buy the classic no question because it has all they need. i almost bought the q10 shortly after it came out but decided not to because it was missing the toolbelt. its not that i think bb10 was difficult to learn its that physical call buttons just work better imo. i also feel that with the small screen, the track pad is superior for web navigation my large fingers have a hard time clicking on links on a small screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Xenolock likes this.
    08-11-14 02:08 PM
    I dont really care which gets attention. As long as I get a classic
    dollface likes this.
    08-11-14 09:46 PM
    Well said, you couldn't have expressed my own sentiments better.The serious professional likes the familiar that works. Their life-style doesn't permit much time for the new learning curve in features that are often non-productive. New features are great only if they offer enhancements and greater efficiency. I'm also using a Z10, wanting a Z30, but eyeing the Windermere Classic.
    08-11-14 10:42 PM
    Well, I'm outnumbered it seems. Which I accept. We will let the market talk! I predict Passport sales out perform Q20, and that Bb10 adoption rate by legacy users stays consistent.

08-12-14 01:04 AM
    Well, I'm outnumbered it seems. Which I accept. We will let the market talk! I predict Passport sales out perform Q20, and that Bb10 adoption rate by legacy users stays consistent.

Well, this IS a Q20 forum. . Most here think the Q20 is a worthwhile solution or they would be elsewhere. In all honesty, I frequently wonder about ppl who feel like they need to spend time in a forum dedicated to a device they obviously have no interest in. ?? I could rain heavy on the Q10 over in the Q10 forums but I respect Q10 owners' choice and their space. They love their Q10s. I used one for 3 months and became VERY proficient with it. Used a Z for nine months prior. I, and 26 coworkers, are as proficient with BB10 as ANYone. We are all now back to the 9930 because it's most efficient for our use. The toolbelt is a BIG part of that efficiency. Your mileage obviously varies. Diversity is a wondrous thing!! .

The Q20's tool belt promises to restore that part of the Bold's efficiency to BB10. Unfortunately, despite personal purchases, my company might not decide on the Q20 if it comes handicapped with a fixed battery, so... We'll see...
    08-12-14 05:36 AM
    While there is quite some hype about the Passport I would guess that the Q20 numbers sold might even be higher as this will be the phone companies buy for their staff. And those users won't be found in forums.

Only time will tell at the end of the day.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 07:31 AM
    What's to get excited about by the classic? Just your typical blackberry being released. Plus it's release is still pretty far away.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 08:00 AM
    I truly believe that the Blackberry classic is the one that going to be successful,
    Because it's small, it's operative, it fits well in the pocket, you can use it with one hand, answer/reject call button.
    Seriously it's like a dream phone.

I'm not taking anything from the Passport, and I'm not saying it's a bad phone. I do think the Passport is very unique and mind blowing phone and it has higher specs that the classic. but I just don't see too many people walking around carring a phone like the Passport.

Anyone feel me?
    You've answered your own question. If the success of the Classic is a given for its target market, why spend too much time promoting it? There's nothing new really on the classic, and that's the point of it. It's ? BlackBerry 10 with a toolbelt. What's to promote. The people that have been waiting on that will buy it.

The Passport on the other hand shows innovation. It's new and different. There's never been anything like it. So from a marketing perspective, it makes no sense to allow the Classic to out-market the Passport. People know what the Classic brings, they have to taught the unique qualities and advantages of the Passport. That's also no doubt, why they're launching the Passport first, despite having announced the Classic first.

? BlackBerry Z30
    08-12-14 08:07 AM
    Not too concerned with either the Passport or the Classic... where is a new all touch device?

The Q5 and Q10 must have really sold well.....
    08-12-14 08:16 AM
    Not too concerned with either the Passport or the Classic... where is a new all touch device?

The Q5 and Q10 must have really sold well.....
    Yup...

And the classic is nothing special. It's a taller Bold 9930 with 10.3. If I was BlackBerry, I wouldn't really talk about it a lot either. It's a simple upgrade option for those that like the tool belt. That's all its meant to be.

The Passport is their feature device. It's new, innovative and different. The Classic isn't going to turn any heads. All hands are on the deck for the Passport.

Think it this way, if you were a marketing manager for an automotive company and you had a choice to market an entirely new vehicle that's new to the market or the simple model year upgrade that now has HID headlamps and a bigger LCD screen, which one would you choose?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 08:29 AM
    Yup...

And the classic is nothing special. It's a taller Bold 9930 with 10.3. If I was BlackBerry, I wouldn't really talk about it a lot either. It's a simple upgrade option for those that like the tool belt. That's all its meant to be.

The Passport is their feature device. It's new, innovative and different. The Classic isn't going to turn any heads. All hands are on the deck for the Passport.

Think it this way, if you were a marketing manager for an automotive company and you had a choice to market an entirely new vehicle that's new to the market or the simple model year upgrade that now has HID headlamps and a bigger LCD screen, which one would you choose?

Posted via CB10
    I might quietly remind my staff: "Remember the Edsel...". Lol. Keep the safe bet in hand till after the risky hand's been played.

I plan on getting a PassPort but look at it as a logical extrapolation from the PlayBook... A supplement to the Q20 I also plan to get.
    walt63 likes this.
    08-12-14 08:41 AM
    What's interesting to me is the number of z30 users salivating for the Passport. They love the big screen but are compelled by the keyboard.
    08-12-14 10:22 AM
    What's interesting to me is the number of z30 users salivating for the Passport. They love the big screen but are compelled by the keyboard.
    Yes, that's probably fair comment. Probably most people actually prefer a physical keyboard if they're really pushed, but hate the loss of screen real estate and regard that as being more important. Something that has both....well that's of interest.

Having said that, I am delighted by my Z30 and will have it for a fair while yet.
    08-12-14 10:30 AM
    I truly believe that the Blackberry classic is the one that going to be successful,
    Because it's small, it's operative, it fits well in the pocket, you can use it with one hand, answer/reject call button.

I'm not taking anything from the Passport, and I'm not saying it's a bad phone. I do think the Passport is very unique and mind blowing phone and it has higher specs that the classic. but I just don't see too many people walking around carring a phone like the Passport.

Anyone feel me?
    I agree. The classic is meant for those who are still using the OS7 and for those who left BlackBerry for other platforms. They are the majority of what's left of BlackBerry customers. Passport is a hype because it's marketed as newer renovation with the better specs to draw attention to the company. The jury is still out there if it will be a great success. If I'm a betting person, I would put my money on the Classic to outsell Passport. The Z10 and Z30 are getting the attention at a snail pace and unlikely to help BlackBerry to pick up significant number of customers to make a difference.
    08-12-14 11:32 AM
    the all touch fans can wait...they had two years to enjoy the BB10...this time I think BlackBerry did touch OS the correct way instead of the debacle of the Storm...so glass huggers please wait your turn
    08-12-14 12:21 PM
    The classic is meant for those who are still using the OS7 and for those who left BlackBerry for other platforms. They are the majority of what's left of BlackBerry customers.
    The classic is meant for people who know what works and aren't waiting for a fly-by-night media personality or creative marketing department to tell them what they want. The whole "full-touch is new and anything else is a dinosaur" paradigm is what's growing old. The Classic is not about nudging/easing some fuddy-duddy execs into the modern world, it's about combining the best that BlackBerry has produced into a single, modern device.

Passport is an exciting experiment and a glimpse into what's possible.
    08-12-14 12:28 PM
    I had 3 batteries for my 9900....you're saying it has good battery life? That thing was horrible for battery life! I'd be a wall hugger if I didn't keep spare charged batteries with me, at all times.
    really?? im surprised to hear this? definitely not my experiences. as a matter of fact i was with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago at a pool party and she still rocks a 9900. whenever i was out of the pool checking my phone she was asking me to check hers, too. it was under 20% at noon and was still kickin at 8pm. she was texting and bbming back and fourth with two different people pretty regularly. i was in disbelief.
    08-12-14 12:47 PM
    I'm a classic guy and at first I was looking at the Passport, but after seeing it doesn't come with a removable battery, toolbelt I was done with it but all other things are really interesting.
    The hype about this phone is mostly because something like this has never been done before and therefore people are excited. I really hope it is a huge hit for Blackberry.

The Blackberry Classic for me is Blackberry's chance to convince me, that they still haven't forgotten what has made the OS 7 great and the BB 10 the failure it is. Personally I don't care about the hype, I don't need PR people or advertisment which phone I need to have I can easily decide that for myself.
    Thunderbuck and anon(6038817) like this.
    08-12-14 03:15 PM
    [QUOTE=campbecw;10702623]

The belt is a desperate cry for help to those hold-outs still clutching their Bolds. We need forward thinking folk, and the belt is so backwards it hurts.

Why is it everyone says this is backward thinking? Here's a different perspective for you, in part borne out by the 'runaway success' of the q10 - removing the USP's of the Bold line for cost reason is a mistake that has bit BlackBerry in the **** hard, and nearly driven them to the wall. Thank goodness they had the forward thinking attitude to accept their mistake and put it right rather than nose dive the company into the ground out of blinkered arrogance.

Just as valid an opinion I'll think you will find.
    Carrtman and anon(6038817) like this.
    08-12-14 03:44 PM
    I do feel the Classic will reach more market penetration than the Passport, mainly because of its design and form.

It's a beautiful device very comparable to the likes of the Bold 9900 which in my opinion, was a success.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 04:15 PM
    I think and hope you are right. From what I've seen its the answer to my hopes for my next BB - I am certain it will be this or a z30 for me. Passport Keyboard and the missing 4th row really really worries me too much I am worried I will feel how I felt about a missing trackpad and hardware buttons on the q10 I've owned this past year and a half.
    08-12-14 05:36 PM
    Classic would be nice if they make the screen longer (Sorry I hate square boxes). Its going to be interesting to see how they hook up the physical Call/End Call buttons for a device running BB10 OS. I expect that it would work much more efficiently than the virtual Call functionality that BB10 offers.
    I also hope that they would offer the special physical keyboard's gestures that we see from the Passport.
    08-12-14 08:00 PM

Anyone feel me?
    There is no need for any fanfare on the Classic, it will sell itself if it is good enough for business users. It will be a phone that people can identify Blackberry with, not the Passport or other flat screens ones. I don't expect the Classic users to scout the forums for leaks and shout all over the place.
    08-12-14 09:04 PM
    And judging by the Classic's specs recently posted... yeah. I think I'm right. The Passport wins.

08-12-14 10:44 PM
133 1234 ...