I truly believe that the Blackberry classic is the one that going to be successful,
    Because it's small, it's operative, it fits well in the pocket, you can use it with one hand, answer/reject call button.
    Seriously it's like a dream phone.

I'm not taking anything from the Passport, and I'm not saying it's a bad phone. I do think the Passport is very unique and mind blowing phone and it has higher specs that the classic. but I just don't see too many people walking around carring a phone like the Passport.

Anyone feel me?
    KDB84, lift and Dave Liao like this.
    08-11-14 01:58 AM
    i agree 100% to me the classic is the more practical phone and the passport is the "neat to have " phone. i know im def interested in the passport just not to buy. i am glad the made it for the spec focused consumer tho. the classic to me is the perfect phone a blend of the q10 and the bold. i cant wait for it. i just hope that they didn't kill gestures for the hub etc. i love buttons but those gestures look fun .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-11-14 02:09 AM
    its just a q10 with a belt, nothing special....
    08-11-14 02:15 AM
    This.

The Classic is wholly uninteresting. Re-releasing the Q10 with some redundant doo-hickies. It lies a bad Disney sequel; The Little Mermaid 2, style.

I'd sooner see a Q10 successor. In the sense that it has the same format factor, but upgraded specs and NO belt.

The belt is a desperate cry for help to those hold-outs still clutching their Bolds. We need forward thinking folk, and the belt is so backwards it hurts.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    08-11-14 02:18 AM
    the belt is not backwards its practical nothing more. ppl that want the physical buttons want them because there reliable. particularly the call end button. ever hung up on some one with ur cheek while talking? i have and it sucks. or dial by accident? or clicked a link while scrolling a web page. buttons are just better period imo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-11-14 02:47 AM
    no hype doesnt mean no joy.

But as mentioned above the classic has nothing new on it. Sure, it will be a great phone and many people will be lucky because they can have that phone that they ever wanted.

But the passport goes some new ways. starting with the form factor / size and the really innovative touch sensitive hardware keyboard. It�s simply not exciting enough to talk about things you already knew if you can speculate about new und unknown things.
    08-11-14 02:58 AM
    The Passport is coming out in about a month, the Classic is due in November. So the hype will come, just not yet.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 03:01 AM
    You answered your own question:

I truly believe that the Blackberry classic is the one that going to be successful,
    Because it's small, it's operative, it fits well in the pocket, you can use it with one hand, answer/reject call button.
    Seriously it's like a dream phone.
    There's no need to hype it. The Passport, on the other hand, is something new and unconventional, which needs some introduction.
    08-11-14 03:02 AM
    I think the screaming awkward design of the Passport is meant to erupt the hype. It has to create the hype to get people curious about it and give a try even out of this curiosity
    08-11-14 03:04 AM
    It's not just a belt, what about the biggest blackberry fan base that still own older devices?
    I don't think Blackberry want to lose their older customers so that's why the made the BB Classic.

Passport = optain new customers,
    Classic = Keep old customers.
    08-11-14 03:32 AM
    i dont think most of those ppl with an old bb still have it cause of the belt. Most of them cant buy a new one or dont see the point buying a new phone while the old one is still doing the job.
    And the battery life of the older bb is better too.
    But u will always have a few diehards who will keep liking the belt.
    08-11-14 04:09 AM
    I think this hype around the Passport is intended by BlackBerry!

The Passport is designed and destined to draw people from other platforms (back) to BlackBerry!

Therefore it comes with the big screen and it has this "wow-effect" with the touch - sensitive keyboard!

The classic is more for the loyal BlackBerry customers and especially for enterprises to upgrade from their "old" BlackBerry7 devices.

You generally don't see a lot of advertising in the B2B sector!

The real crackberrys buy both anyway :-)

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    HarrisonArcher likes this.
    08-11-14 04:21 AM
    The classic is a potentially great device but it not getting media attention because doesnt represent anything new or innovative. It serves the BlackBerry trackpad + belt crowd which is still significant.

So the passport is marketed to convert people back to BlackBerry.

The classic is to upgrade and retain.

Good strategy to me!

Differentiate or Die
    tatytu, Shadowyugi, Banco and 2 others like this.
    08-11-14 04:34 AM
    If the classic came out first and then the Q10. Trust me no one would touch the Q10. It would flop. Everything is too squashed on the Q10 screen.
    KDB84, Chelmsford, koebi90 and 2 others like this.
    08-11-14 06:26 AM
    This.

The Classic is wholly uninteresting. Re-releasing the Q10 with some redundant doo-hickies. It lies a bad Disney sequel; The Little Mermaid 2, style.

I'd sooner see a Q10 successor. In the sense that it has the same format factor, but upgraded specs and NO belt.

The belt is a desperate cry for help to those hold-outs still clutching their Bolds. We need forward thinking folk, and the belt is so backwards it hurts.

Short Stories and Similar Submissions, a Channel dedicated to creative writing and constructive critique C003CC54C. Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    What could be more "wholly uninteresting" than flat glass? If the 10 series had been even moderately successful, your arguments might have merit. Last i checked, Apple and Samsung haven't filed Chapter 11 because of the overwhelming sales of Q's and Z's. Try checking the price BB's getting out of the re-released 9900's. A 3 year old TOOL BELT design! Compare that with the price of Q10s. The bad Disney sequel here has been BBRY's desperate attempt to chase the i-Droid crowd around, like a starving puppy, with iLike and iLite glass oriented stuff that is NOT selling! If the Q10 was supposed to attract iDroid users, it didn't. If it was supposed to attract "legacy holdouts", it needed to offer a TRUE upgrade. Handing them LESS functionality and calling it "more" will never work with ADULTS that know what works for them and WHY it works for them. SOME of us have WORK to do!

Passport is a gamble. The Q20 is a "safer" bet and standing ready to soften the fall if the PP gamble turns bad. No need to overshadow the impending PP release with hype about the Q20. Q20 will sell itself without hype. THAT will be the "old school", "Classic", success story.
    KDB84, divyan, Anatomy and 3 others like this.
    08-11-14 08:13 AM
    I like the idea of the upgraded Q10. The Q10 is just the right size for me and very functional.
    KDB84 likes this.
    08-11-14 09:03 AM
    i dont think most of those ppl with an old bb still have it cause of the belt. Most of them cant buy a new one or dont see the point buying a new phone while the old one is still doing the job.
    And the battery life of the older bb is better too.
    But u will always have a few diehards who will keep liking the belt.
    I had 3 batteries for my 9900....you're saying it has good battery life? That thing was horrible for battery life! I'd be a wall hugger if I didn't keep spare charged batteries with me, at all times.
    Banco likes this.
    08-11-14 09:18 AM
    The Passport comes with more hype but the Classic will sell better. In the end, people may look at the Passport but won't buy them in any significant numbers. Carrier adoption alone will favor the Classic since it is a form factor that is proven and is a logical upgrade for the legacy Blackberry users that the carriers have left.
    08-11-14 09:39 AM
    Because the Passport is creating its own genre. The huge, square screen and the active keyboard are making people pay attention to BlackBerry for the first time in years. People may actually walk into stores and ask to see it. If they like it, they may actually buy it!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-11-14 09:57 AM
    I had 3 batteries for my 9900....you're saying it has good battery life? That thing was horrible for battery life! I'd be a wall hugger if I didn't keep spare charged batteries with me, at all times.
    I have over a dozen spare batts for 9900. It's batt life is notorious BUT well mitigated by the swappable feature. No need for "wall hugging" with the 99. Thanks to the swappable battery. I'd like a BIGGER swappable battery and there are aftermarket batts for the 99 rated 3600ma, last i checked. They sacrifice the NFC, AFAIK. Also they add thickness to the device. Something i LIKE but they're a problem to physically fit various charging cradles so i'm pretty stuck with BB batts for the 99.

Passport is probably fixed batt. Until 3 minute to 100% recharging "SuperCap" becomes feasible, no amount of endurance can mitigate the fixed battery handicap, IMO. Swappable batts are the ONLY way to solar charge while backpacking, for example. No "current bush" to plug into at night. Professionals on call 24/4 have NO down time to dedicate to wall hugging. Even in the "concrete jungle".

Passport will likely replace my desk phone where it can stay "wired". Also, if i'm going to dedicate both hands to operating a device, i'll need a desk to set the coffee mug on...
    08-11-14 10:21 AM
    Passport is a gamble. The Q20 is a "safer" bet and standing ready to soften the fall if the PP gamble turns bad. No need to overshadow the impending PP release with hype about the Q20. Q20 will sell itself without hype. THAT will be the "old school", "Classic", success story.
    You're right. It's a safe bet/gamble thing. But if BlackBerry is gonna get outta where they are, pulling in safe bets won't do it. They gotta risk take, and be confident that they have the cash in hand to do so (which they do). Q20, by your own definition of a safe bet, is less interesting.

Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-11-14 11:02 AM
    You're right. It's a safe bet/gamble thing. But if BlackBerry is gonna get outta where they are, pulling in safe bets won't do it. They gotta risk take, and be confident that they have the cash in hand to do so (which they do). Q20, by your own definition of a safe bet, is less interesting.

Yes, they NEED to figure out what it takes to entice i-Droid users into BB. Abandoning legacy users did NOT help. Until BB does develop a product that i-droiders will buy, if ever, they also need to survive. Re-release of the 9900 is a significant part of that near term survival. The "uninteresting" Q20 might just buy BB the time they need to turn around and start expanding market share. It might even arrive in time to capitalize on a growing dissatisfaction with the even MORE "uninteresting" sea a glass the current consumer market is flooded with. Maybe.

Passport is a smart risk for BB, IMO. Jumping from a plane wearing a parachute can be a smart risk. Jumping without a chute is stupid risk. Much like attempting to expand market share by abandoning existing customers.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    08-11-14 12:51 PM
    People want the Classic because of the tool belt, and a slightly bigger screen is extra icing. These users obviously won't be surfing the web or read ebooks with it. They want some familiar to them that works. Their situations don't give them time for learning curve.

On the other hand, people want the Passport because mainly a big screen. They want to be able to read ebooks, surf the web, and consume media. They are curious with the three-row keyboard. They have time to try it out.

Does this sound reasonable?

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    Thunderbuck and tatytu like this.
    08-11-14 01:06 PM
    Yes, they NEED to figure out what it takes to entice i-Droid users into BB. Abandoning legacy users did NOT help. Until BB does develop a product that i-droiders will buy, if ever, they also need to survive. Re-release of the 9900 is a significant part of that near term survival. The "uninteresting" Q20 might just buy BB the time they need to turn around and start expanding market share. It might even arrive in time to capitalize on a growing dissatisfaction with the even MORE "uninteresting" sea a glass the current consumer market is flooded with. Maybe.

Passport is a smart risk for BB, IMO. Jumping from a plane wearing a parachute can be a smart risk. Jumping without a chute is stupid risk. Much like attempting to expand market share by abandoning existing customers.
    I didn't, and don't, see the Q10 as abandoning existing customers. If they weren't interested in BB10 with the Q10, I can't imagine putting familiar buttons on the same OS as a game changer in that respect. Anyone who didn't like the Q10, and sees the exact same phone simply in old packaging is a suckered for marketing ploys. And I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to BlackBerry users that they can see past that thin veil and see the Classic for what it really is: the Q10... again.

08-11-14 01:13 PM
    Two very simple reasons why the Passport is getting more attention:

1) It's coming out much sooner than the Classic

2) It's more innovative and controversial.

Given that, it's natural.
    imcurved, 1Criz, Deppe and 1 others like this.
    08-11-14 01:20 PM
133 123 ...