Yeah but would that be a problem? They would have a big seller then, finally.
    You're mis reading me. The Q20 selling well would not be the problem. The problem would be that the Q10 owners would feel like they now own the "experimental model". The one just before BlackBerry got it right.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Paul Callahan and acovey like this.
    02-28-14 11:38 PM
    The track pad us still the best for copy and paste. The touch screen one can be a pain in the rear sometimes

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-28-14 11:40 PM
    It's good to see healthy debate among fellow BlackBerry users. It is useless, even detrimental, to all of us to be hating on each other and a phone because we're either afraid of BlackBerry looking like it's bringing out another BBOS phone, or that people might laugh at us, or...what is it that is bringing out the hate?? It's. A. BlackBerry. One of us. I use a Q10 and a Z10 although prefer the Q10. Do I hate on Z30 or Q5 users or phones? No - that would be silly. So those of you who don't want the Q20 don't buy it. Buy what you like - there will be a BlackBerry that you will prefer. The lack of trackpad was one of the biggest disappointments for me when the Z10 and Q10 specs were leaked. A year later I still miss it. End result - I'll have what I want and you buy what you want. Easy. And no-one gets hurt.
    02-28-14 11:40 PM
    You're mis reading me. The Q20 selling well would not be the problem. The problem would be that the Q10 owners would feel like they now own the "experimental model". The one just before BlackBerry got it right.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    As a Z10 owner, I sometimes feel this way about the Z30.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-28-14 11:42 PM
    As a Z10 owner, I sometimes feel this way about the Z30.
    That's my exact point. Of course most Z10 owners wish they had a Z30. I do. Yeah some folks just don't want that big a phone but other than size preference there's really no reason to functionally prefer the Z10 over the Z30.

But putting the buttons and track pad back on the qwerty phones is a much larger difference. It's like a whole change in the use philosophy. So to speak.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-28-14 11:50 PM

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    It's been a year almost. That's normal for mobile phones. That reasoning is like saying Samsung shouldn't release a Galaxy S5 that is better than the S4 with the fear that owners of the S4 will feel robbed or something...
    02-28-14 11:53 PM
    It's good to see healthy debate among fellow BlackBerry users. It is useless, even detrimental, to all of us to be hating on each other and a phone because we're either afraid of BlackBerry looking like it's bringing out another BBOS phone, or that people might laugh at us, or...what is it that is bringing out the hate?? It's. A. BlackBerry. One of us. I use a Q10 and a Z10 although prefer the Q10. Do I hate on Z30 or Q5 users or phones? No - that would be silly. So those of you who don't want the Q20 don't buy it. Buy what you like - there will be a BlackBerry that you will prefer. The lack of trackpad was one of the biggest disappointments for me when the Z10 and Q10 specs were leaked. A year later I still miss it. End result - I'll have what I want and you buy what you want. Easy. And no-one gets hurt.
    Amazing how such a simple idea seems so hard for some people to understand...
    02-28-14 11:55 PM
    That's my exact point. Of course most Z10 owners wish they had a Z30. I do. Yeah some folks just don't want that big a phone but other than size preference there's really no reason to functionally prefer the Z10 over the Z30.

But putting the buttons and track pad back on the qwerty phones is a much larger difference. It's like a whole change in the use philosophy. So to speak.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Except they will also release a qwerty without the track pad...
    02-28-14 11:56 PM
    It's been a year almost. That's normal for mobile phones. That reasoning is like saying Samsung shouldn't release a Galaxy S5 that is better than the S4 with the fear that owners of the S4 will feel robbed or something...
    Not quite. It's more like saying if the S5 all of a sudden had a physical keyboard and outsold the S4 by a factor of 10 to 1 then the S4 owners would feel like they missed out. Crazy analogy. Yeah.

You get the idea. With BlackBerry adding "the belt" it feels like they are admitting a mistake in a sense.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    02-28-14 11:56 PM
    Not quite. It's more like saying if the S5 all of a sudden had a physical keyboard and outsold the S4 by a factor of 10 to 1 then the S4 owners would feel like they missed out. Crazy analogy. Yeah.

You get the idea. With BlackBerry adding "the belt" it feels like they are admitting a mistake in a sense.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Or if they released a new phone with a much larger screen and a stylus to help get work done... Oh wait, they did that too...
    03-01-14 12:12 AM
    With BlackBerry adding "the belt" it feels like they are admitting a mistake in a sense.

Nothing wrong with admitting a mistake, per-se.

The real issues for me - and this is from a person that would actually consider owning a Q20 - are:

• Does the potential revenue justify the cost of designing and producing it?
    • Does it undermine the company's platform message going forward?
    • Is it worth more to the company in terms of direct sales and impact on the company's reputation and platform message than simply producing a truly killer all-touchscreen model that would likely have a vastly broader mainstream appeal? (Does it siphon corporate resources away from such a potentially much more popular product?)
    • Will it be another half-*ssed product that, for example, has such poor OS support that the potential benefits of the buttons and trackpad are squandered?
    • Will it be another highly-delayed product that misses its marketing window of opportunity?
    • Will its hardware spec be hopelessly outdated the day it becomes available?
    kbz1960 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    03-01-14 12:18 AM
    Nothing wrong with admitting a mistake, per-se.
    They really have no choice but to listen to their critics IF the products are not selling. I feel Chens language -- "it remains to be seen if BlackBerry should continue making handsets" to paraphrase , is indicative that a return to the classic hardware form factor is sort of a last ditch effort to find something that resonates with the core BlackBerry users.

I agree with all your points by the way. I to will consider buying the Q20.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    acovey likes this.
    03-01-14 12:48 AM
    I welcome it, but only because many people have tried the q10 and could not get used to it. All of us enthusiasts love it, but the fact is BB10 didn't sell well. Why? Poor adoption due to a bit of a learning curve to use, lack of education by BlackBerry and yes, poor marketing. If BlackBerry will make a phone that allows more of the general public to operate comfortably, then why not?

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 01:03 AM
    Lol.. re: tool / toolbelt.. yeah I've never heard it before until now..

Posted from my Q10 (TMobile) Running OS 10.2.1.2102 as of 2.14.2014!
    03-01-14 01:31 AM
    Except they will also release a qwerty without the track pad...
    Well that indeed IS the big question. I do not think they've committed to that though right? All we know is Q20 and Z3 at this point.
    03-01-14 02:01 AM
    Well that indeed IS the big question. I do not think they've committed to that though right? All we know is Q20 and Z3 at this point.
    They have committed to that. The qwerty phones with a trackpad and function keys is starting a new family of BlackBerry 10 phones.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    03-01-14 02:20 AM
    Um, yes, they have... They've clearly made the distinction between this as being a new line they will call the "Classic" line, which means the non-"classic" line will not have the track pad and the buttons...
    03-01-14 02:24 AM

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Come on, you can't be serious.
    Who will get upset about a vendor releasing a successor (or let's call it "alternative") with more/different/enhanced features, more than one year after the current device got released. And, the "genuine" BB10 models will also be continued, as was stated clearly.
    03-01-14 06:25 AM
    I think it is a good marketing move... Blackberry has millions of people holding on to the legacy devices and this will get many of them to move to BB10... It gives options for people, something for everyone... A full line of Blackberry's to meet the needs and wants of a wider customer base... If you don't like it, don't buy it!! stick with the Z10 or Z30 or whatever the next one is..... I think it is a great business move
    acovey likes this.
    03-01-14 06:32 AM
    The belt would be great if the track pad is used as a finger print thingy and the rest is capacitive touch programmable buttons

Q10 Powered by 10.2.1.1925
    03-01-14 06:39 AM
    Z50..are you kidding? Tapping on glass and mutilple gestures to accomplish what a simple click of a keyboard does? No thanks. I'll wait for the Q20.
    I can't wait for the 20. Even though I will be between contracts I will probably buy one outright.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) and acovey like this.
    03-01-14 06:41 AM
    I can't wait for the 20. Even though I will be between contracts I will probably buy one outright.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you.. I think this is great..
    acovey likes this.
    03-01-14 06:47 AM
    This makes no sense. And by the time the 20 comes out, it will be well over a year since the 10 came out. And there will be other keyboard phones with the belt coming too. This argument is nuts.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-01-14 09:00 AM
    Thanks for your constructive contribution to this discussion.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    Anytime

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 10:16 AM

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    ok this is exactly how i feel. just as i was 'getting used' to life post trackpad (9900) and accepting the trackpad-less q10 as the 'future', we get the annoucement the trackpad q20 is now the future. feel kinda bummed actually. luckily i have just yesterday returned my 2nd �350 q10 for a full refund before the return period ran out.

i love bb10 os and it's dark theme. and i love feeling like i am holding a phone rather than a slab in my hand. and if the q20 is gonna be of the same premium rock solid build quality of the q10, then i'm in
    acovey likes this.
    03-01-14 10:46 AM
456 ... 910111213 ...