Trackpad = unparalleled one hand usage

My only gripe is the naming of the device, it shouldn't have been the Q series.

C30, B30, R30 or even W30 would have made much more sense but BBRY is playing on "flagship" card on us to upgrade. At least for the time being until next no trackpad Q*0 is released.
    I agree, should have been maybe C10, for Classic.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-26-14 07:54 PM
    There are about 70 Million BB users like that and NEWS FLASH... THEY ARE NOT ON CRACKBERRY!
    People who want to upgrade now to the Q20 instead of going to iPhone? I agree. If you browse through my other posts in here, you will see I am PRO Q20.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-26-14 07:56 PM
    You all complained when the track pad was removed and now your complaining because it's back.
    Really? All of the same people made both complaints?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-14 08:00 PM
    I'm annoyed that people are annoyed about a new phone.
    I'm annoyed that people are annoyed about people being annoyed about a new phone...
    kbz1960 and Omnitech like this.
    02-26-14 08:02 PM
    I don't see the reasoning behind it either, but I guess we'll both have to wait and see whether Chen made a mistake or not. I LOVE my Q10 and I'll buy this phone, but I honestly don't know if I'll use the trackpad, etc.
    I don't see either... but,
    Chen doesn't make mistakes. Lol

It's the people. They asked for this. I hope Chen will not produce lots of this because this is for sure not going to sell a lot.

Most advanced People here in North America are looking for one high end BlackBerry phone and they are willing to pay for it.

Even though those ones who doesn't have extra money/ income for it to buy, I'm pretty sure they will do something just to get it. Unless the device is a flop.

But with this one, I don't know.
    If it's just the "track pad" and no other buttons, it would be nice I think. If it's the whole package of buttons, then I would say good luck.

I hope Chen is didn't forget that BlackBerry has 1shot left.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:04 PM
    All the media people will be all over this phone. News, Sports, entertainment, etc. If it has a keyboard and a Belt like they are familiar with, I see most of them finally making the jump to BB10.
    02-26-14 08:09 PM
    All the media people will be all over this phone. News, Sports, entertainment, etc. If it has a keyboard and a Belt like they are familiar with, I see most of them finally making the jump to BB10.
    I'm guessing you mean "All the media people who are still using a BBOS device". Just trying to keep things in perspective.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-14 08:18 PM
    I have only read a few post at the top of this thread but Blackberry needs to move forward! Yes the belt is a nice option to have in theory but why make a bunch of devices that may not sell well. It is expected to appeal to legacy users but look at the Z10 sales. The Z10 seemed like a great idea and I myself like it but Blackberry had to write off so many devices mid-2013. My concern is they will as per usual offer too many phone variants and as a result will have to ultimately write them off.

Keeping one simple high end all touch Blackberry device and one simple high end QWERTY Blackberry device is their best option.

With regards to emerging markets they can offer last year models at an extremely discounted price, seeing that they wrote off so many devices. No need to create a cheap device with watered down specs to offer as a cheap option when they can sell the same experience and not have to test out anything new.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:23 PM
    I am not quite about this phone either. When average consumers look to purchase a mobile device, they look at comfort and size - size as in screen. It is no longer the size of the phone because screen width now determines the overall mobile device dimensions. This is where the problem lies with this phone.

The screen being slight bigger may appease. Like another contributor to this thread wrote, the belt takes up what could have been an increase in screen size. That being said, BlackBerry plans to make QWERTY devices in likes of the Q10 without the trackbelt. I was actually hoping to see a highend device instead of the so called Q20 - a flaghship device with no specs listing. This leaves us wondering what's under the hood...

My other concern is that the device may be or should I say already perceived as a move backwards because of its design. We moved away from trackbelt to bring gestures, why would we go back? Leave the stagnant design development to the likes of Apple and Samsung. S5 looks like the S4 with a slightly bigger screen. But in an attempt to maintain customer base we went back to an old design in hopes of moving legacy device owners to BlackBerry 10. The issue here is not of design. The lack thereof is one of software, fear of change and most of all the large number of organizations who have not upgraded their BlackBerry infrastructure forcing their employees to be seen with legacy devices.

I'll bet my last coin that there are more company deployed legacy users than outright sale owners. If Blackberry is lure legacy users to BlackBerry 10 OS and devices, why not start of the organizations. I understand getting to CIOs and CFOs is no easy task but this is where the problem lies - within the organizations. For instance, I live in Australia and a big bank here National Australian Bank (NAB) still has it BlackBerry users on legacy devices. NAB is massive. While I do not bank with NAB, I don't think they have an app built for Blackberry devices either.

Like everyone else, I guess I will have to sit back and await for rise or stagnant life of my beloved BlackBerry.
    Once again, this is exactly the point. Those that believe that most of these legacy devices are personally owned devices are foolish. Most of these legacy devices are pushed by corporations that are slow to upgrade. Unfortunately, this device won't do anything for them to get them to accelerate the upgrade process. As I've mentioned before, the BES offering is still lacking and the uncertainty surrounding BlackBerry future are the driving factors behind the unwillingness to embrace BlackBerry 10 on a corporate level. That and the fact that a large number of organizations now allow BYOD which means most users are using personal, non-BlackBerry devices. This device has no place and serves no purpose. I and like-minded individuals are frustrated at their direction with this device because we do invest energy to try to get other people to adopt BlackBerry because we are passionate about our devices. The launch of this device feels like an admission of defeat and a slap in the face of all of those that put time and effort to try to help the brand out on a personal level. Maybe it seems silly sometimes but if we don't do that we will be left with a duopoly of iOS and Android as the only choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:45 PM
    Maybe it seems silly sometimes but if we don't do that we will be left with a duopoly of iOS and Android as the only choice.
    I understand what you're saying, but don't you think WP8 is a viable third platform at this point? Their numbers are trending positively worldwide. At what point should those who want to avoid a duopoly just consolidate their support behind Windows as the third platform?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-14 09:07 PM
    Let it be, for as many of us on CB who do not want to see the belt coming back, there are plenty of legacy users out there that would love to have the belt back. Being a full touch screen person personally, id be lieing if I told you there werent times I wish I had a trackpad for when I am doing fine editing/adding. Yes, its not BAD on the Z series, but does not compare to the trackpad. That aside, a little less alienation to the legacy to BB10 users isn't a bad idea no matter how you slice it.
    I wonder if there are people out there who wants a BB10 all touch device with a track pad, ala-Torch 9860.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-26-14 09:32 PM
    Please re read what you typed, then feel free to edit.
    This device has no place and serves no purpose. I and like-minded individuals are frustrated at their direction with this device because we do invest energy to try to get other people to adopt BlackBerry because we are passionate about our devices. The launch of this device feels like an admission of defeat and a slap in the face of all of those that put time and effort to try to help the brand out on a personal level.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:41 PM
    This is a tool to convert people to BB10 nothing more. There are still so many people in the business community with the old bolds and phones with the trackpad. They currently see no compelling reason to change because they would have to start learning the new gestures from scratch. They would rather start with a different phone altogether. This is to help these people transition over nothing more. Yes it wont be popular with everyone but it will make an impact with those people still on those old bb07 OS phones. This is why the tool belt. The more people on bb10 the better then they can finally transition from the old OS which is costing them time and money. Having people on that OS is like having another division and it shouldnt be. They can then concentrate on the new devices and bb10 and leave the old ones behind. For most its like they are trying to go in reverse but really if you saw the last sales numbers that bb07 phones were outselling the new handsets thats a big problem. This will help with the transition. They had another option and that would be to just dump all the people that dont want to transition which might make up 20 percent of their current clients. That would be disastrous. This is why they are bringing back the tool belt and no other reason. So stop crying about the belt. Its only for a certain type of customer and they are still going forward with some wonderful handsets that wont have it. They arent flushing bb10 which is the other option they have. This is just coaxing everyone over to the new world.
    hecmanhoops and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 09:46 PM
    Please re read what you typed, then feel free to edit.
    I re-read it, then I considered your suggestion literally and figuratively, neither made any sense. Maybe I need to be more clear. Re-introducing a device with legacy hardware components will not win consumers and it is not in-line with the direction taken by BlackBerry 10, devices or the OS. Strategically, it is off, way off. Perception is everything and bringing back legacy hardware components such as buttons to an all-gesture based OS can and will be perceived as an admission that the direction taken by BlackBerry with BlackBerry 10 is wrong.

So, what would you like me to edit?

I understand what you're saying, but don't you think WP8 is a viable third platform at this point? Their numbers are trending positively worldwide. At what point should those who want to avoid a duopoly just consolidate their support behind Windows as the third platform?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ah, I knew somebody will bring up Windows Phones. I don't consider them a viable alternative yet for two reasons, (a) their strategy has not been one to differentiate but rather one of "me too", i.e., there is nothing innovative or different about Windows Phones (yes, I've used them), and (b) Microsoft strategy and direction is neither here nor there. Together both of this does not lead me to believe that they are a relevant player, not in my eyes anyway.

I had some hopes for Jolla, but they flopped hard with their first headset. Very low specs, unfinished OS, and virtually non-existent ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:58 PM
    At last I will be able to upgrade to a Blackberry that looks and operates as a Blackberry and have all the features of BB10 with all the missing physical buttons that have served me so well over the years.
    02-26-14 10:01 PM
    Thats your opinion and I'm with Ron White on this one. I bought the Q10 on release day and LOVE it. But there is no doubt in my mind that some people would still love to have the hard buttons. And my guess is, again, that a large percentage of people this device targets won't care about losing any screen real estate. There are some things that are easier with hard buttons and a trackpad...not the least of which is editing text. The media industry does a lot of text editing.
    I re-read it, then I considered your suggestion literally and figuratively, neither made any sense. Maybe I need to be more clear. Re-introducing a device with legacy hardware components will not win consumers and it is not in-line with the direction taken by BlackBerry 10, devices or the OS. Strategically, it is off, way off. Perception is everything and bringing back legacy hardware components such as buttons to an all-gesture based OS can and will be perceived as an admission that the direction taken by BlackBerry with BlackBerry 10 is wrong.

So, what would you like me to edit?

Ah, I knew somebody will bring up Windows Phones. I don't consider them a viable alternative yet for two reasons, (a) their strategy has not been one to differentiate but rather one of "me too", i.e., there is nothing innovative or different about Windows Phones (yes, I've used them), and (b) Microsoft strategy and direction is neither here nor there. Together both of this does not lead me to believe that they are a relevant player, not in my eyes anyway.

I had some hopes for Jolla, but they flopped hard with their first headset. Very low specs, unfinished OS, and virtually non-existent ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    Oddsocket and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 10:23 PM
    I have a Q10 and a Z10. I'll pass on it. But, it may sell really well for those Legacy owners ready to update.
    02-26-14 11:10 PM
    I'm excited to see how this phone would look :-)

via Q10
    02-26-14 11:23 PM
    I still miss the thumb wheel from my 7105t. And no, that's not sarcasm. I'd KILL for a thumb wheel on my Q10.
    02-26-14 11:28 PM
    you know, in the technology world, sometimes you just have to take a step back in order to move forward. take Intel for example, their Netburst architecture was getting thrashed by AMD's Athlon 64. If they didnt go backwards, reinvent their core series with inspirations from previous generation designs, AMD would be mopping the floor with them.

Anyhow, I like this idea. its the only reason why i did not go from a 9000 to a Q10 is because of the lack of a trackpad. I had always dreamed of BB10 with a trackpad because I want precision tool with accuracy, speed, and efficiency that would allow me to be more productive.

The Q20 is not for you if you b!tch about which f**king filter to use on your instagram photo or play the latest iteration of flappy bird. The Z series can serve that purpose just fine. I bought my Z10 just to support this company, hoping that the next Bold would return and my prayers have been heard. I will be lining up for this. This next BBRY phone is for prosumers who need to get sh!t done!
    acovey and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 11:29 PM
    As much as I love my all touch z10. The latest bugs of unresponsive swipe-up swipe-down gesture, though it doesn't always happen, makes me want at least a home button just in case it comes to that.
    02-27-14 12:16 AM
    The announcement of the Q20 has really been eating away at me since I heard about it earlier today. I genuinely am struggling to understand how this benefits the brand and how this shows that John Chen is anything but totally behind BlackBerry 10. There are two main reasons why this got me burning.

1. At the core of BlackBerry 10 is the gestures. Swipe up, swipe down - everything is just a swipe away. I understand that there are many legacy users still out there but manufacturing this phone is kind of like giving up. I reckon give most of these legacy users an existing BB10 device for a less than a month and not many of them are going to want to go back. The gestures render the toolbelt useless, and this phone makes me feel like BlackBerry are taking a massive step backwards.

2. I am currently using a Q10 and I would love a similar phone with a bigger screen. I think it's safe to say most Q10 users would. I realise that the screen on Q20 is bigger but the toolbelt is just taking up room that could have given us the perfect screen size. I really hope we will still see a Q10 like device with a bigger screen and that this toolbelt doesn't hinder any plans or progress to making this happen.

BlackBerry smartphones prior to BlackBerry 10 were terribly behind the competitors in terms of what was available then. They were old, outdated, slow - everything that a phone in today's market cannot compete with. Taking one of these features from those phones and putting it on something great doesn't sit well. At the end of the day, the belt takes up room I'd rather have with my screen and with BlackBerry 10 a toolbelt is just simply not required.
    It gives more options for those who want it. I'm sorry it makes you mad that other people with other preferences will ALSO get what they want and it's not only you getting exactly what you want...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Oddsocket, acovey and Anilu7 like this.
    02-27-14 12:24 AM
    bla bla bla cry cry cry
    You realise the Q20 Classic is a budget range foxconn device, right?

A high end successor to the Q10 is still as yet unannounced. No need to complain about the Q20 - it's simply not targeted towards you. Wait for the high end (Q30?) and then make your judgement.

People need to realize that BlackBerry is targeting multiple markets. The Z3 and Q20 are aimed at the low end market. High end is coming. Have patience
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-27-14 12:35 AM
    You realise the Q20 Classic is a budget range foxconn device, right?

A high end successor to the Q10 is still as yet unannounced. No need to complain about the Q20 - it's simply not targeted towards you. Wait for the high end (Q30?) and then make your judgement.

People need to realize that BlackBerry is targeting multiple markets. The Z3 and Q20 are aimed at the low end market. High end is coming. Have patience
    Q20 is their next flagship.
    02-27-14 12:45 AM
    Oh and by the way, I don't think CrackBerry ran this...

BlackBerry Head of Design Leaves Company - http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...60730?mobile=y

How is that for the future of BlackBerry 10?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 12:48 AM
456 ... 34567 ...