Apparently, a lot of enterprise tried the Q10 and gave up after a week. That's what prompted "classic" I believe.
    andreirad and Grumblegrumble like this.
    02-26-14 08:19 AM
    Apparently, a lot of enterprise tried the Q10 and gave up after a week. That's what prompted "classic" I believe.
    Yes a lot of people did
    Why is the 9900 so amazing? The track pad among all the other things!

From my White Z30
    acovey and anon8091350 like this.
    02-26-14 08:27 AM
    im a q10 user and yess I cant wait :P
    I'm in the same boat as you . It was my mistake and I went back and edited my post . Some people with Q10 have no patience

Visit my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    XyeD_R likes this.
    02-26-14 08:34 AM
    I wonder what people think, WHY there are still 70m+ users on legacy devices.
    Some of them might be in developing countries, not being able to buy a new phone.
    But the majority is these business users who would WISH to have a larger screen and modern phone comfort, but who KNOW that there is nothing better than a physical keyboard and a trackpad when having to deal with ~100 or so messages a day. I think they stick to BBOS not because they couldn't afford a new phone. I think most of them are craving new phones, but they appreciate speed and ease of handling to get their daily challenges done.

These useres were probably disgusted by the absence of track pad etc., and didn't want their workflow to get interrupted by having to learn something new. Then the first user reviews bemoaning how difficult it was to e.g. edit text, and how often they missed the end call touchscreen button added on top of that.

So what's wrong with a strategy that tries to make a compelling offer to these users, give them a significantly larger screen, an equally good or even better keyboard, a modern OS, and a few phiscal keys that most of them would like to coninue to use? Why not trying to finally convert a big junk of these 70m+ users to BB10, with a best of both world offer?
    AND, in parallel, to also provide belt-less QWERTY- and touchscreen only phones to those who don't care about the belt or who got used to not having it?

To me, this sounds like BB heaven. Something for everybody.....my only wish was it would be available tomorrow.
    02-26-14 08:43 AM
    They should just put the trackpad in the Space Bar and be done with it!!! so it doesn't make the phone ugly or take up space. The rest of BELT is absolutely useless
    02-26-14 08:45 AM
    They should just put the trackpad in the Space Bar and be done with it!!! so it doesn't make the phone ugly or take up space. The rest of BELT is absolutely useless
    Believe it or not, there is a faction of BlackBerry users (mostly Legacy users) who want physical buttons to answer/deny/hang up phone calls without having to look at their phone.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-26-14 08:47 AM
    I wonder what people think, WHY there are still 70m+ users on legacy devices.
    Some of them might be in developing countries, not being able to buy a new phone.
    But the majority is these business users who would WISH to have a larger screen and modern phone comfort, but who KNOW that there is nothing better than a physical keyboard and a trackpad when having to deal with ~100 or so messages a day. I think they stick to BBOS not because they couldn't afford a new phone. I think most of them are craving new phones, but they appreciate speed and ease of handling to get their daily challenges done.

These useres were probably disgusted by the absence of track pad etc., and didn't want their workflow to get interrupted by having to learn something new. Then the first user reviews bemoaning how difficult it was to e.g. edit text, and how often they missed the end call touchscreen button added on top of that.

So what's wrong with a strategy that tries to make a compelling offer to these users, give them a significantly larger screen, an equally good or even better keyboard, a modern OS, and a few phiscal keys that most of them would like to coninue to use? Why not trying to finally convert a big junk of these 70m+ users to BB10, with a best of both world offer?
    AND, in parallel, to also provide belt-less QWERTY- and touchscreen only phones to those who don't care about the belt or who got used to not having it?

To me, this sounds like BB heaven. Something for everybody.....my only wish was it would be available tomorrow.
    you are comparing apple to oranges. BBOS7 is nothing like BB10. BIS, Dirt cheap, much more simple UI (probably the most simple UI of all phones) I had a huge write up about it. BBOS7 is meant to have BELT BB10 completely changed how you use a blackberry so you only need that trackpad which should just be innovatively put in the space bar.
    02-26-14 08:47 AM
    Let it be, for as many of us on CB who do not want to see the belt coming back, there are plenty of legacy users out there that would love to have the belt back. Being a full touch screen person personally, id be lieing if I told you there werent times I wish I had a trackpad for when I am doing fine editing/adding. Yes, its not BAD on the Z series, but does not compare to the trackpad. That aside, a little less alienation to the legacy to BB10 users isn't a bad idea no matter how you slice it.
    acovey, Anilu7 and th.1977 like this.
    02-26-14 08:48 AM
    you are comparing apple to oranges. BBOS7 is nothing like BB10. BIS, Dirt cheap, much more simple UI (probably the most simple UI of all phones) I had a huge write up about it. BBOS7 is meant to have BELT BB10 completely changed how you use a blackberry so you only need that trackpad which should just be innovatively put in the space bar.
    There is a need to convert BBOS users to BB10. If BlackBerry can get all users on BB10, they don't have to spend the resources (time, money, labor) on BBOS.

02-26-14 08:49 AM
    There is a need to convert BBOS users to BB10. If BlackBerry can get all users on BB10, they don't have to spend the resources (time, money, labor) on BBOS.

Hopefully they just don't slap on that BELT bar, do something innovative with it.
    Grumblegrumble and CDM76 like this.
    02-26-14 08:52 AM
    The announcement of the Q20 has really been eating away at me since I heard about it earlier today. I genuinely am struggling to understand how this benefits the brand and how this shows that John Chen is anything but totally behind BlackBerry 10. There are two main reasons why this got me burning.

1. At the core of BlackBerry 10 is the gestures. Swipe up, swipe down - everything is just a swipe away. I understand that there are many legacy users still out there but manufacturing this phone is kind of like giving up. I reckon give most of these legacy users an existing BB10 device for a less than a month and not many of them are going to want to go back. The gestures render the toolbelt useless, and this phone makes me feel like BlackBerry are taking a massive step backwards.

2. I am currently using a Q10 and I would love a similar phone with a bigger screen. I think it's safe to say most Q10 users would. I realise that the screen on Q20 is bigger but the toolbelt is just taking up room that could have given us the perfect screen size. I really hope we will still see a Q10 like device with a bigger screen and that this toolbelt doesn't hinder any plans or progress to making this happen.

BlackBerry smartphones prior to BlackBerry 10 were terribly behind the competitors in terms of what was available then. They were old, outdated, slow - everything that a phone in today's market cannot compete with. Taking one of these features from those phones and putting it on something great doesn't sit well. At the end of the day, the belt takes up room I'd rather have with my screen and with BlackBerry 10 a toolbelt is just simply not required.
    I believe we will still see a Q10 with a larger screen. In fact, the current screen is 3.1 inches and the Q20 will be 3.5 inches plus the belt. So they should be able to produce a Q10 that's 3.5 inches plus the unused belt space making it more like 3.7 inches with even maybe a slightly bigger keyboard to balance it out.

My only worry is time frame. There will most likely be an update to the Z10 and the Q10. What will the impact of the production of other phones have on the time line of getting a larger Q10 out to consumers is my main concern. I feel strongly it's less about if and more about when. As BlackBerry users clearly we care as much about when.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-26-14 09:02 AM
    I believe we will still see a Q10 with a larger screen. In fact, the current screen is 3.1 inches and the Q20 will be 3.5 inches plus the belt. So they should be able to produce a Q10 that's 3.5 inches plus the unused belt space making it more like 3.7 inches with even maybe a slightly bigger keyboard to balance it out.

My only worry is time frame. There will most likely be an update to the Z10 and the Q10. What will the impact of the production of other phones have on the time line of getting a larger Q10 out to consumers is my main concern. I feel strongly it's less about if and more about when. As BlackBerry users clearly we care as much about when.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    The Z30 isn't an upgrade from the Z10? I agree time frame is an issue to Q10 users who won't get Q20 (probably the vast majority want the Q30).

Last edited by JAS0NB0URNE; 02-26-14 at 09:28 AM.
    02-26-14 09:05 AM
    i am like the op a tad skeptical, even if i can imagine how i'd use the trackpad to scroll or browse internet and documents...
    but as he correctly pointed out: the screen estate is the priority if you want to make the Q20 better than its predecessor.
    Passing from 3.1" to 3.5" is ridiculously ditherer, i'm pretty sure for example the problem browsing pictures on BBM channels (at times you only see one third of a picture preview...)will not be resolved by adding 0.4" .
    They should propose at least a 3.9" screen to assure a comfortable browsing experience.
    There's though a good news! Remember Kevin Michaluk introducing the new Q20 specs (There will be many BlackBerry "Classic" models like the Q20 | CrackBerry.com)
    "Classic - With a physical keyboard and the "tool belt" making its return, this is where the new Q20 fits in. This is the iconic BlackBerry experience that so many longtime BlackBerry users still love. It may not be a huge growth opportunity, but this is giving those loyal BlackBerry users what they want. Note, don't take the re-introduction of the toolbelt on the Q20 to mean they won't make another Q10-like device without it.

So maybe the Classic will be the 'legacy users' smuggler and we may even see a 4" screen Q30 after him?
    Whatever, if they don't leak out some Q30 mock-up when the 'Classic' hits the shelves i'll buy the tool-belted right away because 3.5" isn't enough but it's still better than 3.1" (but a Q30 with Z30 width and 4" screen would have my preference)
    acovey likes this.
    02-26-14 09:09 AM
    Not sure why some people in this forum can't see that...
    Exactly. It's like people would rather assume BlackBerry's reasoning and ignore what BlackBerry is actually saying. I don't get it. I have never had a full KB BlackBerry, so I really don't have any preference either way. But I do know is this, the KB Crowd has got to be the most complicated group I've ever read about and I think BlackBerry is doing the right thing here. Cater to different types of KB diehards. That's really the only way it's gonna work. Choice. Just leave buttons off my Z30 thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin and CDM76 like this.
    02-26-14 09:13 AM
    My stars, what drama. Had BlackBerry done this at the initial release of BB10 phones would all the upset people ***** and moan back then? Probably not, they'd hail it as a pure genius coup. What's so different now?
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-26-14 09:14 AM
    I am nearing the end of my contract on 9930 and I was looking to either get a z30 or Iphone. My problem is I don't like touch screen so the announcement of Q20 will keep me with blackberry. I want a physical keyboard and a design that is second nature to me now. The screen will be somewhat larger than what I have now for those limited times I view something on internet, but I am not using a blackberry to watch movies or play games. I think Blackberry did a good thing here.
    02-26-14 09:20 AM
    I can't understand why so much hate!
    If BlackBerry said that all BlackBerry will have the belt thingie then would understand, but that's not the case, you have many other options. You have full touch screen, you have big full touch screen, touch screen with keyboard, and now keyboard with big screen and the belt. What other company gives you that many option????!!! Apple definitely doesn't, Samsung doesn't, HTC doesn't, Nokia doesn't, NOBODY ELSE DOES!!
    So buy the device you like and STFU....
    This is not directed at the OP but to ALL those who have been hating so much...

From my White Z30

Rock on, brother!
    02-26-14 09:21 AM
    Believe it or not, there is a faction of BlackBerry users (mostly Legacy users) who want physical buttons to answer/deny/hang up phone calls without having to look at their phone.

Exactly. I love my Q10 but dislike having to tap on glass to end a call.

I wonder if the Q20 will get rid of the 'android-esque' call answer screen too?
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-26-14 09:23 AM
    Wonderful post. I feel the same way. I've been rooting for this company and their products for years, and this move feels like a slap in the face as it does nothing but reek desperation. More so than that it shows that there is no confidence in the new platform at all.

Posted via CB10
    dayno25 likes this.
    02-26-14 09:50 AM
    Why do people act like the gestures and touch are going away? I also don't see how anyone says it doesn't show confidence in bb10 when they launched a new phone sans touchpad at the same freakin event.

Everything will be the same and still work just as it does now along with the added benefit of superior text editing and easier calling.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-26-14 09:59 AM
    Wonderful post. I feel the same way. I've been rooting for this company and their products for years, and this move feels like a slap in the face as it does nothing but reek desperation. More so than that it shows that there is no confidence in the new platform at all.

Posted via CB10
    Or it recognizes the reality that BBOS phones still outsell BB10 phones so they are trying to convert the BBOS owners.

Anilu7 likes this.
    02-26-14 10:01 AM
    You might find it annoying and unneeded, but a lot of people are also in favor of it and find it useful.

Chen repeatedly said the consumer is what's important, and now we've seen him listen to the hardcore customers who are staying because of the trackpad and buttons.

You don't have to like it, no one is putting a gun upto your head forcing you to buy, but you have to atleast respect the opinion of others.
    acovey, Oddsocket and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 10:05 AM
    I am nearing the end of my contract on 9930 and I was looking to either get a z30 or Iphone. My problem is I don't like touch screen so the announcement of Q20 will keep me with blackberry. I want a physical keyboard and a design that is second nature to me now. The screen will be somewhat larger than what I have now for those limited times I view something on internet, but I am not using a blackberry to watch movies or play games. I think Blackberry did a good thing here.
    There are many who feel the same way. BlackBerry needs to keep its current users and this will help that.

02-26-14 10:08 AM
    Or it recognizes the reality that BBOS phones still outsell BB10 phones so they are trying to convert the BBOS owners.

This ^

To the legacy BBOS users, the belt is irreplaceable.
    Anilu7 and anon8091350 like this.
    02-26-14 10:13 AM
    Even if you add buttons and a trackpad, everything is still just a gesture away. It has always been useful to have more than one way to accomplish the same task. That way you can use what works best for you in the current situation.

As far as screen real estate, yes the space could be used elsewhere. It sounds like they will still make other phones to accomplish exactly that. Using a physical keyboard, my priority isn't a bigger screen. Obviously people's priorities are different. BB10 has lots of improvements to BBOS. Adding a trackpad does not diminish or take away from those advances.
    acovey and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 10:17 AM
456 1234 ...