The announcement of the Q20 has really been eating away at me since I heard about it earlier today. I genuinely am struggling to understand how this benefits the brand and how this shows that John Chen is anything but totally behind BlackBerry 10. There are two main reasons why this got me burning.

1. At the core of BlackBerry 10 is the gestures. Swipe up, swipe down - everything is just a swipe away. I understand that there are many legacy users still out there but manufacturing this phone is kind of like giving up. I reckon give most of these legacy users an existing BB10 device for a less than a month and not many of them are going to want to go back. The gestures render the toolbelt useless, and this phone makes me feel like BlackBerry are taking a massive step backwards.

2. I am currently using a Q10 and I would love a similar phone with a bigger screen. I think it's safe to say most Q10 users would. I realise that the screen on Q20 is bigger but the toolbelt is just taking up room that could have given us the perfect screen size. I really hope we will still see a Q10 like device with a bigger screen and that this toolbelt doesn't hinder any plans or progress to making this happen.

BlackBerry smartphones prior to BlackBerry 10 were terribly behind the competitors in terms of what was available then. They were old, outdated, slow - everything that a phone in today's market cannot compete with. Taking one of these features from those phones and putting it on something great doesn't sit well. At the end of the day, the belt takes up room I'd rather have with my screen and with BlackBerry 10 a toolbelt is just simply not required.
    02-26-14 06:01 AM
    I don't see the reasoning behind it either, but I guess we'll both have to wait and see whether Chen made a mistake or not. I LOVE my Q10 and I'll buy this phone, but I honestly don't know if I'll use the trackpad, etc.
    02-26-14 06:09 AM
    I have a Q10, and no matter how much I got used to it. I miss the trackpad, now I am always hesitant to select test, with a trackpad, it's so much easier. give meh teh trackpad now!!
    02-26-14 06:19 AM
    The announcement of the Q20 has really been eating away at me since I heard about it earlier today. I genuinely am struggling to understand how this benefits the brand and how this shows that John Chen is anything but totally behind BlackBerry 10. There are two main reasons why this got me burning.

1. At the core of BlackBerry 10 is the gestures. Swipe up, swipe down - everything is just a swipe away. I understand that there are many legacy users still out there but manufacturing this phone is kind of like giving up. I reckon give most of these legacy users an existing BB10 device for a less than a month and not many of them are going to want to go back. The gestures render the toolbelt useless, and this phone makes me feel like BlackBerry are taking a massive step backwards.

2. I am currently using a Q10 and I would love a similar phone with a bigger screen. I think it's safe to say most Q10 users would. I realise that the screen on Q20 is bigger but the toolbelt is just taking up room that could have given us the perfect screen size. I really hope we will still see a Q10 like device with a bigger screen and that this toolbelt doesn't hinder any plans or progress to making this happen.

BlackBerry smartphones prior to BlackBerry 10 were terribly behind the competitors in terms of what was available then. They were old, outdated, slow - everything that a phone in today's market cannot compete with. Taking one of these features from those phones and putting it on something great doesn't sit well. At the end of the day, the belt takes up room I'd rather have with my screen and with BlackBerry 10 a toolbelt is just simply not required.
    1) It benefits BlackBerry because now users still on Legacy devices who have resisted BlackBerry 10 due to no toolbelt will be much more likely to upgrade. Some with the Q10 will also upgrade to the Q20.

2) If you read Kevin's interview posted last night, BlackBerry is going to also make qwerty keyboard phones without the toolbelt. They are just making different lines of phones - all touch, qwerty with no toolbelt, qwerty with toolbelt. The Q20 is to placate a segment of BlackBerry legacy owners who have resisted upgrading because they want the toolbelt, whether it is to answer/reject/hangup from a phone call without looking at the screen, or to use the trackpad for superior copy/paste ability.

Adding a toolbelt does not make the phone slow like Legacy device phones are.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-26-14 06:34 AM
    I think it comes from them changing and moving onward and forward and it makes them seem wishy washy again and going backwards. That and the cancelled other phones in the pipeline and then announce this. Not that a few models with it will hurt anything unless they only sell as well as the rest has.
    Actually I think it makes them seem to be doing what the other phone companies aren't doing, which is listening to their customers. If they are to survive, they absolutely must hold onto their current base.

02-26-14 07:06 AM
    Actually I think it makes them seem to be doing what the other phone companies aren't doing, which is listening to their customers. If they are to survive, they absolutely must hold onto their current base.

We will all find out how many have been holding out for a belt.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-14 07:08 AM
    The OP already has a Q10 so I don't know where the hate is coming. Don't buy the phone if you don't like it. What's important is that this device should sell, and we'll have to wait and see.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-26-14 07:14 AM
    I don't understand why ppl are ******** about this phone. I don't complain about every phone I don't like or agree with. If you don't like it, don't buy it? There are ppl who want the buttons and track pad, so why not let them have it?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:14 AM
    Did you know that another way for selecting texts is by holding Alt and then with another finger swiping in the text that you want to select.
    Sorry for bad English

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Bs06TL likes this.
    02-26-14 07:23 AM
    Did you know that another way for selecting texts is by holding Alt and then with another finger swiping in the text that you want to select.
    Sorry for bad English

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    It's holding shift and swiping, not Alt; it is a big improvement from original copying of text in BB10, but trackpad is more precise.

02-26-14 07:30 AM
    I miss the times when a messaging device was just a messaging device, and a phone was - just a phone... no wasting time - just getting things done ;-)
    02-26-14 07:32 AM
    I miss the times when a messaging device was just a messaging device, and a phone was - just a phone... no wasting time - just getting things done ;-)
    I do too. That was a long time ago. Now people want portable computers in their pocket that can message. Times change.
    02-26-14 07:35 AM
    I don't understand why ppl are ******** about this phone. I don't complain about every phone I don't like or agree with. If you don't like it, don't buy it? There are ppl who want the buttons and track pad, so why not let them have it?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your constructive contribution to this discussion.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    CDM76, beamolite, cascada and 1 others like this.
    02-26-14 07:51 AM
    1) It benefits BlackBerry because now users still on Legacy devices who have resisted BlackBerry 10 due to no toolbelt will be much more likely to upgrade. Some with the Q10 will also upgrade to the Q20.

2) If you read Kevin's interview posted last night, BlackBerry is going to also make qwerty keyboard phones without the toolbelt. They are just making different lines of phones - all touch, qwerty with no toolbelt, qwerty with toolbelt. The Q20 is to placate a segment of BlackBerry legacy owners who have resisted upgrading because they want the toolbelt, whether it is to answer/reject/hangup from a phone call without looking at the screen, or to use the trackpad for superior copy/paste ability.

Adding a toolbelt does not make the phone slow like Legacy device phones are.

Honestly I hope you're right and that the phone sells and people are happy. I do wish that this new QWERTY phone you mentioned was formalised prior to the Q20 as it shows more faith in the OS and hardware to pull users from Google, Apple and Microsoft. After all that is definitely bigger than bringing over legacy users, surely you agree? I hardly think many of competitor users are going to come over to a BlackBerry that looks like the ones they hated just a couple of years back. You may know it ain't the same but they'll take one look at it and bail.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    dejanh and cascada like this.
    02-26-14 08:00 AM
    Not sure why the sarcasm, his comment is pretty simple. I have always used BB. I bought the Q10 as soon as it came out, but could not get used to it - I went back to a Bold 9900. I like to be able to operate the phone with one hand. I cannot understand why people think using the trackpad is some sort of insult to the gods of innovation. The trackpad works - full stop. When you get in your can in the morning, that round thing you grab onto is the same concept as the the one on the 1910 model T. That works too...

Thanks for your constructive contribution to this discussion.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    02-26-14 08:05 AM
    To me it gives the message "Not even we're sold on BB10, why should you be?"

Would that work for enterprise? Perhaps. Will this make it harder to get consumers back on board? Most definitely.

On a side note, did anyone call the five buttons the "belt"/the "tool belt" before last week?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:05 AM
    I think it is great for the option to who wants it but I also want email to work like it did on Bbos

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:07 AM
    I think BlackBerry is doing exactly what they should do. They are giving us 3 options :
    1. full touch
    2. touch+keyboard
    3. touch+keyboard+track pad

We should appreciate the fact that the company is listening to customers and is building phones as they ask for. Probably soon they will have a slider phone too.

Why we see all this complaining is because some people with the Q10 or Q5 have no patience and they want to see the next upgraded Q10 style phone already and they hate to see they will have to wait a little longer.

Visit my BBM Channel C000E96F6
    Last edited by andreirad; 02-26-14 at 08:28 AM.
    02-26-14 08:08 AM
    to me it gives the message "not even we're sold on bb10, why should you be?"

posted via cb10
    this.

Sqn100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    02-26-14 08:08 AM
    It's a nice looking phone for legacy users to upgrade to most definitely! BB10 for ALL

Still waiting for the new keyboard device without the tool belt to upgrade to. Although, with the tool belt, copy/paste would be done with much more ease, one thing I truly miss! Hope it looks super sleek and better then the Q10
    acovey likes this.
    02-26-14 08:13 AM
    To me it gives the message "Not even we're sold on BB10, why should you be?"

Would that work for enterprise? Perhaps. Will this make it harder to get consumers back on board? Most definitely.

On a side note, did anyone call the five buttons the "belt"/the "tool belt" before last week?

Posted via CB10
    I still refer to it as the BlackBerry navigation keys (isn't that what RIM themselves referred to it as in their BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 handsets in the quick start guide?)

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:13 AM
    Honestly I hope you're right and that the phone sells and people are happy. I do wish that this new QWERTY phone you mentioned was formalised prior to the Q20 as it shows more faith in the OS and hardware to pull users from Google, Apple and Microsoft. After all that is definitely bigger than bringing over legacy users, surely you agree? I hardly think many of competitor users are going to come over to a BlackBerry that looks like the ones they hated just a couple of years back. You may know it ain't the same but they'll take one look at it and bail.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.2102
    If they were going to make all qwerty phones with the toolbelt in the future, I would also be upset. Since it is just adding a new line of BB10 phones for another option, so be it. I have 2 Q10's...I will probably upgrade one for the Q20 to test it out, and when the Q30 (or whatever the next qwerty phone without a toolbelt is called) comes out, I will upgrade that as my daily driver.

Signhere and acovey like this.
    02-26-14 08:16 AM
    I think BlackBerry is doing exactly what they should do. They are giving us 3 options :
    1. full touch
    2. touch+keyboard

We should appreciate the fact that the company is listening to customers and is building phones as they ask for. Probably soon they will have a slider phone too.

Why we see all this complaining is because people with the Q10 or Q5 have no patience and they want to see the next upgraded Q10 style phone already and they hate to see they will have to wait a little longer.

Not sure why some people in this forum can't see that...
    02-26-14 08:17 AM
    I still refer to it as the BlackBerry navigation keys (isn't that what RIM themselves referred to it as in their BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 handsets in the quick start guide?)

Posted via CB10
    I dunno, I never read the manuals.

I just call them "the top buttons", although with the Q20 it's more like "the appendix".

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    02-26-14 08:18 AM
    1. full touch
    2. touch+keyboard

Why we see all this complaining is because people with the Q10 or Q5 have no patience and they want to see the next upgraded Q10 style phone already and they hate to see they will have to wait a little longer.

im a q10 user and yess I cant wait :P
    02-26-14 08:19 AM
456 123 ...