With all of the confusion about the cpu in the classic, it got me thinking: why not make two versions of the device? One with lower end specs for a lower price and one with higher end specs.
    Laptops do this, why not a phone?
    One with a slower cpu and maybe 1.5 gb ram and one with a faster CPU, 2 GB and maybe 32 GB onboard.

All else would be equal and they would look identical.

Why not?

Posted via CB10
    wilber1, Mr4aces and bb1010 like this.
    10-15-14 09:01 AM
    I totally agree! I think they should really consider this.
    I've made a concept (The Wolf Q-Zero) exact based on this idea.

It would have the full physical keyboard, but a much better screen like the Z10.
    10-15-14 09:31 AM
    What I am talking about is two identical looking models with different internal specs.

Just like you can get a Surface pro with an i5 or an i7 but they look identical if you just look at them.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:40 AM
    With all of the confusion about the cpu in the classic, it got me thinking: why not make two versions of the device? One with lower end specs for a lower price and one with higher end specs.
    Laptops do this, why not a phone?
    One with a slower cpu and maybe 1.5 gb ram and one with a faster CPU, 2 GB and maybe 32 GB onboard.

All else would be equal and they would look identical.

Why not?

Posted via CB10
    I was just thinking the exact same thing on the official Classic Specs thread.

From a Z30
    10-15-14 09:47 AM
    So like the Q5 and Q10 sort of thing.

More options are almost always better so, sure bring on 2 different Classics.
    10-15-14 12:19 PM
    Yeah like a Classic base and Classic Deluxe model. The base has a low price range with like same specs as the Z30, battery being 2515mah with this model, not 2880mah. Then the deluxe would have a slightly faster processor, maybe 3g of ram (cant really justify this for the device seeing that Z30 can multitask great with 2), and much larger battery (something in the 3000mah range). Let me break it down.
    Base:
    Colors: White, Black
    Hardware Dimensions (LxWxD): 131 x 72.4 x 10.2 mm
    Weight: 178g
    Processor: Qualcomm MSM8960 Dual Core 1.5 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 RAM + 16GB eMMC Expandable Memory Hot swappable MicroSD slot (up to 128GB)
    3.46” LTPS TFT LCD touchscreen
    720720 resolution
    294 PPI
    1:1 Aspect ratio
    24 bit Color (16M colors)
    Rear Facing Camera: 8MP Auto-Focus, Backside Illumination, 5 element F2.2 lens, Flash, continuous & touch to focus, Image & video stabilization, 5x digital zoom, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps, 2DOF video stabilization
    Front Facing Camera: 2MP Fixed-Focus, 3x digital zoom, 720p HD video recording
    35 key backlit physical keyboard. The following Keyboards are supported: Black model – QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, Arabic, 5-Stroke, BoPoMoFo; White model – QWERTY, Arabic External Keys
    Front (Physical Key Belt): Send, Menu, Escape, End (Power)
    Top: Lock/Power (On/Off)
    Side: Volume Up / Mute / Volume Down (Media Overload as Track Fwd / Pause / Track Back)
    Optical Trackpad – Located on front face of device, Escape Key to the right, Menu Key to the left
    Three microphones for Noise Cancelation, Integrated speaker, Hands-free headset capable, Bluetooth headset capable, Integrated Hands-Free Speakerphone, Wideband AMR, FM Radio Receive (headset as antenna) Headset
    3.5 mm stereo headset support
    Micro USB 2.0 High Speed – allows charging and data synchronization of the device with a USB “A” to micro-USB “B” cable
    USB Port: Micro B at bottom of device.
    Physical Video out via SlimPort
    Wireless Video out via Miracast
    NFC
    DLNA Server Power Adapter
    +5V DC / 850 mA AC power adapter, OMTP Complaint (to be selected and supplied by BlackBerry).
    2515 mAh (minimum) non-removable Lithium Ion battery
    Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Hall Sensor, Ambient light sensor SIM Interface
    Nano SIM card (4FF)
    Deluxe:
    Colors: White, Black
    Hardware Dimensions (LxWxD): 131 x 72.4 x 10.2 mm
    Weight: 178g
    Processor: Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor 2.3GHz
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 RAM + 32GB eMMC Expandable Memory Hot swappable MicroSD slot (up to 128GB)
    3.46” LTPS TFT LCD touchscreen
    720720 resolution
    294 PPI
    1:1 Aspect ratio
    24 bit Color (16M colors)
    Rear Facing Camera: 8MP Auto-Focus, Backside Illumination, 5 element F2.2 lens, Flash, continuous & touch to focus, Image & video stabilization, 5x digital zoom, 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps, 2DOF video stabilization
    Front Facing Camera: 2MP Fixed-Focus, 3x digital zoom, 720p HD video recording
    35 key backlit physical keyboard. The following Keyboards are supported: Black model – QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, Arabic, 5-Stroke, BoPoMoFo; White model – QWERTY, Arabic External Keys
    Front (Physical Key Belt): Send, Menu, Escape, End (Power)
    Top: Lock/Power (On/Off)
    Side: Volume Up / Mute / Volume Down (Media Overload as Track Fwd / Pause / Track Back)
    Optical Trackpad – Located on front face of device, Escape Key to the right, Menu Key to the left
    Three microphones for Noise Cancelation, Integrated speaker, Hands-free headset capable, Bluetooth headset capable, Integrated Hands-Free Speakerphone, Wideband AMR, FM Radio Receive (headset as antenna) Headset
    3.5 mm stereo headset support
    Micro USB 3.0 High Speed – allows charging and data synchronization of the device with a USB “A” to micro-USB “B” cable
    USB Port: Micro B at bottom of device.
    Physical Video out via SlimPort
    Wireless Video out via Miracast
    NFC
    DLNA Server Power Adapter
    +5V DC / 850 mA AC power adapter, OMTP Complaint (to be selected and supplied by BlackBerry).
    3000 mAh (minimum) non-removable Lithium Ion battery
    Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Hall Sensor, Ambient light sensor SIM Interface
    Nano SIM card (4FF)
    Qi and Powermat wireless charging supported on SQC100-2 and SQC100-3 only.
    10-15-14 12:32 PM
    So like the Q5 and Q10 sort of thing.

More options are almost always better so, sure bring on 2 different Classics.
    No, the q5 and q10 are two different models. I am talking about IDENTCAL looking models with two internal configurations. One with say, a 1.2 and one with a 1.7. Maybe one with only 16 GB and one with 32.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 02:45 PM
    The point is that all accessories would be shared. Cases etc. Not two models.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 02:54 PM
    I love the idea but not likley to happen. The only way I see this happening is if a carrier forced BlackBerry to spec their device down or up in their version of the device. It's possible this is happening. The us carrier versions seem to have wireless charging. And there does seek to be confusion over the specs. Haven't heard of this type of thing happening lately. It makes it more expensive and harder to support 2 configurations.

They used to do this back In the day. I remember when Verizon completely changed the outside and internals of the htc touch pro. First they gimped it then they charged more. Gotta love capitalism

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:26 PM
    So you're talking the Apple model.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-15-14 08:31 PM
    I'd pay more for a higher spec classic. I have a passport on order but I think would prefer the form factor of the classic. But the passport has the better internals.
    10-15-14 08:39 PM
    It doesn't take long to get used to the form factor of the Passport. My old Q10 seems so tiny now.

That said, the Classic looks like a really nice phone. I hope those who do get it enjoy it very much.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    10-15-14 08:41 PM
    Manufacturing two different versions will add cost. Lets not forget about testing and software updates, etc. This is also add confusion to the users.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-15-14 10:15 PM
    Apple tried it, was called the 5C, the phone is discontinued now. A big deal considering people still sell the 4S.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-16-14 09:32 PM
    Apple tried it, was called the 5C, the phone is discontinued now. A big deal considering people still sell the 4S.

Posted via CB10
    No they didn't.
    That is not what I am talking about.

Actually Apple has done it with all of the iPhone models so far. There have been 16 and 32 GB versions etc of the SAME model. They would LOOK identical just have different internal specs.

I am not sure why this is difficult to understand.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 09:40 PM
    No they didn't.
    That is not what I am talking about.

Actually Apple has done it with all of the iPhone models so far. There have been 16 and 32 GB versions etc of the SAME model. They would LOOK identical just have different internal specs.

I am not sure why this is difficult to understand.

Posted via CB10
    Those don't have different internal specs, that's just different internal storage... The specs are the same in those models...
    rambo47 likes this.
    10-16-14 09:58 PM
    The 5c was the same internal specs in a cheaper package.

Again, thr Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is available in multiple internal configuration yet it is the same model, uses the same cases and accessories.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 06:10 AM
    Exactly, which is not what I want with the classic.

I want the exact same looking device with an upgrade in CPU speed, RAM and Storage

Ideally :
    16GB/2gb/1.7
    And
    32GB/3GB/2.2 dual.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:28 PM
    The two markets are the people who wants this phone and depend on what they can afford.

More and more companies are moving away from subsidies so price will be more of a concern.

My desktop computer is a Mac mini. It's the third I have had and I have always gotten the base model.

I could have gotten in each case, one that was the same generation with a faster CPU, more RAM and a larger capacity hard drive but it would have cost more and I was on a budget.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:05 PM
    Well, they do already do this sort of thing with the other phones for carrier purposes...stl-1 anybody

thurask or someone dug up five different models from the leak software including 2 verizon models, one without a camera.
    10-17-14 05:16 PM
    Exactly, which is not what I want with the classic.

I want the exact same looking device with an upgrade in CPU speed, RAM and Storage

Ideally :
    16GB/2gb/1.7
    And
    32GB/3GB/2.2 dual.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody does this with phones. Computers - yes. But BlackBerry would be the first to offer different specs for the same model phone. Could be a very interesting and attention-grabbing option. The problem is that BlackBerry is backing way away from the handset business. They're not looking to sell tons of handsets as a major profit generator. Their focus is moving back to enterprise. Would they be willing to suddenly jump back in the ultra-competitive hardware sales arena and bear the increased costs of offering multiple versions of the same handset? The old BlackBerry would have - and probably should have. But this re-invented Chen-era BlackBerry probably won't go in that direction. This would be a consumer oriented move, offering multiple spec versions of a model.
    10-17-14 11:07 PM
    Yes agreed, ive said the same thing. Except I would go all out with the specs, basically match passport levels what is possible with the Classic's dimensions.

Why does the toolbelt have to be synonymous with low end?? I agree that theres a market for low end enterprise deployment, but theres also lots of people from executives to consumers that would appreciate a high end BlackBerry with a toolbelt.

Hopefully they plan to release one soon after this iteration. Id be willing to pay the cost of a Porsche model for one (if they actually made one with high end specs)

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 03:56 AM
    I'd like to see a $299 low end version and a 499 high end version. They wouldn't be likely to match the specs of the Passport, but at least a 2.0 dual or maybe a 1.8 quad would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:47 AM