They're trying to sell it on the experience, not the hardware. Just like Apple does.

The mass market for the Classic is not a market that cares about specs.
    I get what you're saying and it makes half-sense but remember, BlackBerry has made this thing available to the public for preorder. People should be able to know what they're getting. It's kinda like they walked backwards-forward going into this whole thing.
    12-01-14 01:33 PM
    I get what you're saying and it makes half-sense but remember, BlackBerry has made this thing available to the public for preorder. People should be able to know what they're getting. It's kinda like they walked backwards-forward going into this whole thing.
    That's the risk those users are willing to take. Again, if it is just a business phone to do email, web browsing, BBM and some low-end apps specs aren't going to matter anyways. The Q10 runs all that perfectly fine. This just adds a slightly bigger screen, the tool-belt and a bigger battery. The specs have already leaked all over the place, so what's it matter.

Honestly I think we are making something out of nothing.
    12-01-14 02:02 PM
    Somehow I'm not comfortable with the classic having less battery power than the z30. It's not adding up

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 02:36 PM
    I doubt there's any secret sauce, that will make someone go "Wow!", but until the announcement, we just don't know.

I don't personally see the point in the phone at all, but for BlackBerry's sake I pray it hits or exceeds target sales.
    Agreed, most sincerely!

I pray BlackBerry has a Passport 2 with 4" screen ready to be announced by beginning of March 2015, and shipping in high volume for April 2015 should the Classic not meet or exceed sales targets. Considering the thread opening post here, I think that person has an insight without realizing it upon posting that many others seem to agree with. I honestly think with the hybrid keyboard, with more features and gesture support there will be NO NEED for physical trackpad or back button. Looking for a back button is just a joke because an OS was never thinking of a gesture in it's place - although there are some UI layouts that require them to help the end user - but software button kills off a hardware button as the hardware button never CLOSED an app on BBOS since BBOS4.x! That said, physical Call and End buttons will ONLY prove their real worth IF and only IF software Call and END buttons are no longer present in the UI for accidental face/cheek initializations to activate them.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-01-14 03:00 PM
    Agreed, most sincerely!

I pray BlackBerry has a Passport 2 with 4" screen ready to be announced by beginning of March 2015, and shipping in high volume for April 2015 should the Classic not meet or exceed sales targets. Considering the thread opening post here, I think that person has an insight without realizing it upon posting that many others seem to agree with. I honestly think with the hybrid keyboard, with more features and gesture support there will be NO NEED for physical trackpad or back button. Looking for a back button is just a joke because an OS was never thinking of a gesture in it's place - although there are some UI layouts that require them to help the end user - but software button kills off a hardware button as the hardware button never CLOSED an app on BBOS since BBOS4.x! That said, physical Call and End buttons will ONLY prove their real worth IF and only IF software Call and END buttons are no longer present in the UI for accidental face/cheek initializations to activate them.
    What are you talking about? Of course the back button closed apps in BBOS and on some it required a long press of the back button.

It was end call button that out apps in the background.
    12-01-14 03:07 PM
    What are you talking about? Of course the back button closed apps in BBOS and on some it required a long press of the back button.

It was end call button that out apps in the background.
    No they did NOT!
    NOT in BBOS 7.1/7/6/5 ...

Pressing the BACK button simply returned you to a previous menu structure OR the main screen. This was evident when you press and held the BB symbol menu button! It showed your previous applications running. Case in point the Browser NEVER closed ... ever. Just like the previous mutli-messaging layout, the precursor to The Hub it too always was running.
    12-01-14 03:34 PM
    The Classic won't have to drive the big display on the Z30. It will have a bigger battery than the Q10. I've got a Q10 and battery life has never been an issue. My Z10 is another story.

Somehow I'm not comfortable with the classic having less battery power than the z30. It's not adding up

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 03:42 PM
    No they did NOT!

Pressing the BACK button simply returned you to a previous menu structure OR the main screen. This was evident when you press and held the BB symbol menu button! It showed your previous applications running. Case in point the Browser NEVER closed ... ever. Just like the previous mutli-messaging layout, the precursor to The Hub it too always was running.
    There was some apps that never closed yes but other apps you pressed the back button or you long pressed the back button. The apps closed.
    12-01-14 03:53 PM
    No they did NOT!

Um, way to pick on an app that cannot be closed. But with apps that could be closed holding the back button did indeed close them.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    12-01-14 03:56 PM
    Um, way to pick on an app that cannot be closed. But with apps that could be closed holding the back button did indeed close them.

Regardless that is "Long-Pressing" not "Pressing" Very big difference ... don't mix the two because doing one changes the result vs the other. I stand correct pressing the BACK button does NOT close an application. It minimizes after BBOS4 until BB10 arrived.

Applications NEEDED to be coded to accept the LONG press.
    Messages, Browser (Torch), Calendar, RSS Feeds (native) and BBM never closed even with a LONG press ... they ALL continued to run indefinitely.

BBM was not core to the OS yet STILL exihibited a 'Close' in the Menu and never fully closed Press-and-Hold.

WhatsApp - soon was coded to accept Long Hold, Pressing Back button (not holding it for a Long Press) returned you to the previous screen, and to the main home screen.
    Why on earth has BlackBerry not released a spec sheet?-1_120203135958_1.jpg

BBM Close Menu ... Press and Hold Menu button and see which apps after you think you closed them are STILL running.
    http://rimhelpblog.files.wordpress.c...p-11.jpg?w=800

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    12-01-14 04:09 PM
    Ok but unless they are planning a mighty surprise I am not sure the Classic will offer what it takes to captivate the Press... Q10 with a toolbelt better battery and larger screen? Apple must be trembling...

CB10 on my Passport
    I'm sure those 9900 users can't wait to get a bendable iPhone 6 plus

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 04:20 PM
    Regardless that is "Long-Pressing" not "Pressing" Very big difference ... don't mix the two because doing one changes the result vs the other. I stand correct pressing the BACK button does NOT close an application. It minimizes after BBOS4 until BB10 arrived.

Applications NEEDED to be coded to accept the LONG press.
    Messages, Browser (Torch), Calendar, RSS Feeds (native) and BBM never closed even with a LONG press ... they ALL continued to run indefinitely.

BBM was not core to the OS yet STILL exihibited a 'Close' in the Menu and never fully closed Press-and-Hold.

WhatsApp - soon was coded to accept Long Hold, Pressing Back button (not holding it for a Long Press) returned you to the previous screen, and to the main home screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_120203135958_1.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	318000

BBM Close Menu ... Press and Hold Menu button and see which apps after you think you closed them are STILL running.
    http://rimhelpblog.files.wordpress.c...p-11.jpg?w=800

KB35590-Troubleshooting Issues with Closing Applications
    Dude, believe us, the back button closed apps, either with one press or a long press.

Some apps (browser, BBM if installed, messaging folder and a couple of others that I can't remember) never ever closed, which was part of the "always on" thing.
    12-01-14 04:21 PM
    Dude, believe us, the back button closed apps, either with one press or a long press.

Some apps (browser, BBM if installed, messaging folder and a couple of others that I can't remember) never ever closed, which was part of the "always on" thing.
    Well, if it goes to the very beginning, and you pressed back again, it'll close it. But before then it'll go back one page.

12-01-14 04:25 PM

Now you're backpeddling, contradicting your two earlier posts ... 1 stating back button closed apps, the next stating Long-Pressing closed apps (unless I've mixed your posts with the guy below).

Well, if it goes to the very beginning, and you pressed back again, it'll close it. But before then it'll go back one page.

You've just repeated what I've stated in your quote. Apps by the core OS did not close when pressing the Back button. They needed to be coded to do so, Long Pressing the Escape/Back button still had to be coded to be closed.

Escape Key:
    Exit lists (by default keeping data into custom text list; data entered by users)
    Application could present the main menu at root screen
    Escape to the main home screen, application runs in background by default.

Funny I've provided examples, yet neither of you have, I've even provided screenshots readily over internet. I've used BBOS 4-7.1 and troubleshooted the core OS on BES activated devices, using BBOS4-5 personally. I'm sure both of you have used BBOS extensively as well, but I doubt many have paid attention or recalled the functions very much.

Sorry this is derailing thread off topic so open to PM.
    Last edited by Supa_Fly1; 12-01-14 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Sorry this is derailing thread off topic so open to PM.
    12-01-14 04:48 PM

Now you're backpeddling, contradicting your two earlier posts ... 1 stating back button closed apps, the next stating Long-Pressing closed apps (unless I've mixed your posts with the guy below).

You've just repeated what I've stated in your quote. Apps by the core OS did not close when pressing the Back button. They needed to be coded to do so, Long Pressing the Escape/Back button still had to be coded to be closed.

Escape Key:
    Exit lists (by default keeping data into custom text list; data entered by users)

Funny I've provided examples, yet neither of you have, I've even provided screenshots readily over internet. I've used BBOS 4-7.1 and troubleshooted the core OS on BES activated devices, using BBOS4-5 personally. I'm sure both of you have used BBOS extensively as well, but I doubt many have paid attention or recalled the functions very much.

Supa_Fly, I'm not backpedding, go back and read my initial response, you'll see that I mention long press.
    12-01-14 04:52 PM
    To put this to rest I just tried it on my wife's 9790, one press will close apps, calendar, bb travel, click, no need for long press.
    12-01-14 04:57 PM
    The closer it gets to launch date the more undecided I am on the Q20.

7 months ago I lobbied for more RAM. When BB eliminated the convince key, ergonomic keyboard, removable battery and charging points the Bold community was disappointed. Two months ago I accepted all this and still was willing to purchase this phone. Last month the pre-ordering opened up and I was right there to place my order, but I could not find any specs so I held off.

I have since found out that there are 4 versions and the pre-order is SQC100-4 without wireless charging, the BB10 will not work as smooth all android apps, the hub doesn't work exactly like OS7 so there are a few more steps and some people are saying that the specs might not be enough to run some android apps.

I'm on ATT and they are always 2-3 months behind on the BlackBerry products so if I want wireless charging I will have to wait till spring unless Amazon sells the SQC100-2 version. More delays more reasons to just keep the 9900 and suffer through the lack of RAM. Especially if the Q20 will be coming with low end specs.

So here I am 17 days from launch date more undecided than ever. If BB keeps screwing around they will have some of the 9900 users just wait for the next edition of this phone.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 12-01-14 at 05:27 PM.
    12-01-14 05:08 PM
    Looking at the mobile bands on the passport vs the classic, I noticed some bands missing on the latter which causes me someconcern for use with att usa & proximus belgium... maybe doesn't have 1800 gsm & maybe missing 2600 LTE both listed for belgian use... should I worry about that? I need full functionality both sidesof the pond...
    12-01-14 06:17 PM

Escape Key:

That's funny, I could have sworn I replied to someone else... Must be my imagination, sorry man.

12-01-14 06:31 PM
    The Classic is not about "SPECS", but about functionality, ease of use and smooth transition from BBOS devices to BB10 devices. If someone is looking for a device with specs, they should be using the Passport.
    This is rationalization of, at best, shady business practices.

Apple never releases any spec sheets and no one bats an eye.
    Apple does announce the new A-whatever processor in each new iDevice announcement. It just meaningless to the public at the time of the announcement since Apple uses its own SoC so it needs to be benchmarked.

Blackberry has not formally announced the SoC in the Classic so its revealing less than Apple.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    12-01-14 08:25 PM
    I'm sure those 9900 users can't wait to get a bendable iPhone 6 plus

Posted via CB10
    Hey, I am a 9900 user and I am NOT at all interested in another iPhone!!!! especially not one that bends. Love the physical quality of the BB models. They're work ponies. I'm totally hooked on Blackberry - totally. No backs and no going back to iPhone - one was more than enough!
    I'm on the Blackberry bus, and that's all there is to it!

OH... maybe that was sarcasm.

Time to say good night!
    12-01-14 08:46 PM
    I think it's odd that they don't even show a view of the device from the back, as they do with every other device for sale.

I was even hoping that maybe the design on the back wasn't finalized in time for pre-order, so maybe there's still hope that BlackBerry might spice things up with something other than what we've already seen.
    12-01-14 09:20 PM
    No spec sheet on the Passport or the Classsic?

Why I haven't seen ONE advertisement in the US on the Passport at all!

It's like a BIG secret that the Passport is available by ANY carrier (I think ATT&T is making it available but haven't seen any local ads for it). I'm the metro Los Angeles, CA area (Long Beach) and NOTHING.

The same advertising campaign for the Z10, Z30, Q10. I don't get it!
    12-01-14 09:21 PM
    No spec sheet on the Passport or the Classsic?

Why I haven't seen ONE advertisement in the US on the Passport at all!

It's like a BIG secret that the Passport is available by ANY carrier (I think ATT&T is making it available but haven't seen any local ads for it). I'm the metro Los Angeles, CA area (Long Beach) and NOTHING.

The same advertising campaign for the Z10, Z30, Q10. I don't get it!
    Because other than purchasing it direct from BB or on Amazon, it is not yet available.
    12-01-14 09:23 PM
    You nailed it!!
    12-01-14 09:57 PM
93 1234