I have a BB Classic OS 10.3.2.2836

This is only happening with ONE CONTACT in my contacts list. I send texts to other contacts with no problem. This is the first time I've tried to send a text to this particular person, I'll call her "Mary Lou."

I bring up Mary Lou's entry in contacts list. Choose send text. Type in text. Hit send. Bounces back telling me that it wants a 10-digit valid phone number. The texting function has added a "+1" in front of Mary Lou's number, i.e., the USA country code.

Mary Lou's area code is the same as mine. We're both in the same city in the USA and we have the same area code.

I've done some googling on this and as a result I've deleted her contact info and re-entered it (as one place said automatically adding the +1 can happen when you save a number when someone has called you, which is indeed the way I acquired her number).

One place said to disable "international assist," but I couldn't find a setting like that on my phone.

One place said it has to do with somehow linking to Facebook, but I'm not on Facebook.

I deleted the bounced messages as well as the error messages and turned the phone off then back on. Tried to send again--same problem.

Yeah, I could just call her...but this is bugging me.

ETA. Tried one more thing. I deleted her from my contacts list. Then I went to compose text message and just entered her 10-digit number, typed in the message, and sent it. It bounced with the same message, i.e., please use a valid 10-digit number and showed that it had added a +1 in front of the number that I manually entered.
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 03-14-16 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Additional attempt to fix.
    03-14-16 08:32 PM
    Have you actually tried calling her, to see if you get an error message from your carrier about adding the 1 prefix?

Also, a possible source for an unwanted number change:
    Swipe down from the top of the Contacts app and choose Settings. Scroll almost to the bottom until you see "search for contact details" and make sure that setting is OFF.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    03-14-16 09:18 PM
    Shot in the dark...realize your issue is with SMS and with a single contact but have you gone in to phone...settings...smart dialing...and adjusted settings accordingly.

You probably have but just throwing it out there .

Posted via CB10
    03-14-16 09:26 PM
    OP, what would happen if you were to type Mary Lou's number manually, i.e. ten digits, one at a time? Does the number get recognized as Mary Lou's? Also, you say that you are not on Facebook. What about Gmail? Do you have contacts sync turned on for your Google account?

Also, while it may seem a bit counter-intuitive, the Ask a Question forum is more intended for first-time visitors/non-members to ask questions. Registered, contributing members are supposed to start threads in other sub-forums, like device (Classic,) or OS (BB10.)
    03-14-16 09:45 PM
    Have you actually tried calling her, to see if you get an error message from your carrier about adding the 1 prefix?
    I did call her and got her voicemail, but the call went through.

Also, a possible source for an unwanted number change:
    Swipe down from the top of the Contacts app and choose Settings. Scroll almost to the bottom until you see "search for contact details" and make sure that setting is OFF.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    I see "search for contact details," and it is off.

Shot in the dark...realize your issue is with SMS and with a single contact but have you gone in to phone...settings...smart dialing...and adjusted settings accordingly.

You probably have but just throwing it out there .

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I didn't know about that place, but I went to it, and the USA country code (+1) is entered by default. You said "adjust settings accordingly." The only way to adjust it is to change it to another country. The setting for "10-digit phone number" is correct.

OP, what would happen if you were to type Mary Lou's number manually, i.e. ten digits, one at a time? Does the number get recognized as Mary Lou's?
    I explored this suggestion two ways. First, I typed her 10-digit phone number in manually and the phone did recognize it as her number. I sent the text and it bounced after having added the +1.

Then as I said in my OP: "Tried one more thing. I deleted her from my contacts list. Then I went to compose text message and just entered her 10-digit number, typed in the message, and sent it. It bounced with the same message, i.e., please use a valid 10-digit number and showed that it had added a +1 in front of the number that I manually entered."

So when I entered the number manually and she was NOT in my contacts list, it still added the +1.

Also, you say that you are not on Facebook. What about Gmail? Do you have contacts sync turned on for your Google account?
    Not on FB or Gmail. No google account. I do not sync my phone contacts with anything.

Also, while it may seem a bit counter-intuitive, the Ask a Question forum is more intended for first-time visitors/non-members to ask questions. Registered, contributing members are supposed to start threads in other sub-forums, like device (Classic,) or OS (BB10.)
    Interesting, and indeed counter-intuitive. Since this was a cross-device and possibly cross-OS question, I wanted it to get the widest exposure. Oh well.
    raino likes this.
    03-14-16 11:29 PM
    I explored this suggestion two ways. First, I typed her 10-digit phone number in manually and the phone did recognize it as her number. I sent the text and it bounced after having added the +1.

Then as I said in my OP: "Tried one more thing. I deleted her from my contacts list. Then I went to compose text message and just entered her 10-digit number, typed in the message, and sent it. It bounced with the same message, i.e., please use a valid 10-digit number and showed that it had added a +1 in front of the number that I manually entered."

So when I entered the number manually and she was NOT in my contacts list, it still added the +1.
    Sorry...did not see the edit before I made my post

Have you tried saving your area code under Phone>Settings>Smart Dialing and then saving (or typing in the text message...since the two seem to be linked) Mary Lou's number without the area code? I know for phone calls, Smart Dialing assumes based on the country (US) and area code provided that the seven digit number dialed has the same area code. Maybe it will work for texting as well.
    03-15-16 11:48 AM
    Sorry...did not see the edit before I made my post

Have you tried saving your area code under Phone>Settings>Smart Dialing and then saving (or typing in the text message...since the two seem to be linked) Mary Lou's number without the area code? I know for phone calls, Smart Dialing assumes based on the country (US) and area code provided that the seven digit number dialed has the same area code. Maybe it will work for texting as well.
    Thank you for not abandoning me.

My area code is saved under phone>settings>smart dialing.

I just input her phone number manually WITHOUT the area code. The phone supplied the area code and the "+1" and the message bounced.

Very strange...
    03-15-16 03:46 PM
    Is this contact listed in your Sim card contacts? If so have you tried deleting her from that directory?
    Contacts...settings....manage Sim card contacts.
    .....Just throwing this out there too. ...no guarantees.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 04:35 PM
    Is this contact listed in your Sim card contacts? If so have you tried deleting her from that directory?
    Contacts...settings....manage Sim card contacts.
    .....Just throwing this out there too. ...no guarantees.

Posted via CB10
    Not a SIM card contact. And, at the moment, not in my contacts at all.
    03-15-16 05:10 PM
    Y'all moved this to the BB Classic forum? Now only Classic owners will see it.

Anyway, likely a moot point, as this appears to be an AT&T issue.
    Lusitano17 likes this.
    03-15-16 05:31 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 05:46 PM
    Anyway, likely a moot point, as this appears to be an AT&T issue.
    If you try that suggested solution and it works, please post. Personally, I'm somewhat doubtful but will be hoping otherwise.

Regardless, a round of back pats for everyone for not suggesting an OS reinstall/wipe.
    Lusitano17 likes this.
    03-15-16 08:51 PM
    If you try that suggested solution and it works, please post. Personally, I'm somewhat doubtful but will be hoping otherwise.
    I'm doubtful, too, but then these are cynical times.

Regardless, a round of back pats for everyone for not suggesting an OS reinstall/wipe.
    Hehe... or my preferred (fantasy) solution: put the device in my driveway and run over it with my car.
    03-15-16 10:21 PM