Look at a device tear down and you will see that there is basically no 'empty space' in any devices

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 07:14 PM
    Look at a device tear down and you will see that there is basically no 'empty space' in any devices

Posted via CB10
    This is true but other manufacturers manage devices with Equivalent screen size and much slimmer profiles.
    06-21-14 09:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh come on... there must be lots of space around the 2 big wing nuts holding the logo down.

for the humor impaired.
    06-21-14 09:34 PM
    Why do they always leave so much real estate space at the top of their devices, when it can be used as screen space? why can't they remove the logo from there, and push the ear slit button higher and you'll get like 15%-20% more real estate. Yet again blackberry has made the same mistake, we could have gotten like 20% more screen but they are too cheap... shame on you john cheng
    You kind of forgot that it's a square screen... Any size change vertically will have to be matched horizontally. so they can't simply remove the logo and magically you have more screen in the same dimensions. It'll result in a wider device as well...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    donemt and southlander like this.
    06-21-14 10:20 PM
    Why should the logo be at the top? Why does it matter to you if other people know what phone you are using?

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't matter to me. It would matter to me if I was an investor or Chen or anyone who wanted the company to get noticed since they don't advertise.

Does it bother you if someone could tell you were using a BlackBerry? Maybe they put the logo in the center to save people embarrassment.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    06-21-14 10:46 PM
    I agree with OP. BB could have maximized the screen by minimizing the top bezel. I have LG G2 and it has so thin bezel all sides. Like Slagman pointed out....it must be due to 1:1 screen size.

Guys don't be too much greedy. I think 3.5' screen size is decent for qwerty device. Anybody who prefers larger size should go for Z30 or samsung note series.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    06-21-14 10:49 PM
    nope. its not just my opinion mistake. anyone can see this. there is no reason for the blackberry logo at the top to take up so much room when all that room can be used for screen space.
    think about it logically if they removed all that wasted space at the top we could get like 20% more screen area!!
    Let's turn the tables! I think the screen takes up too much space. Why can't BlackBerry push the top bezel all the way down so we can just have a giant BlackBerry logo. If they removed the screen, we could get 1000% more logo!
    Jonesy1966 and Jtaylor1986 like this.
    06-21-14 11:02 PM
    My BlackBerry logo is at the bottom...

I really don't see an issue with a little empty space. I remember some time ago they made LCD TV's edge to edge and it didn't completely work out so even my current TV has a little edging around it albeit only an inch or so.
    The Z30 has a pretty nice balance. The Q5/Q10 and those with physical keyboards are a little different because that hardware has to be housed somewhere but it's not that bad, it really isn't.

Look at the iPhone, that's got more housing than Bill Gates!
    06-21-14 11:12 PM
    Ok if that's the case how come samsung is able to utilize all that space on their s4/s5?
    Take a look at a few samsung phones u'll see that thet use the screen right to the top

Posted via CB10
    Because the s4 /s5 don't have physical keyboards that are the depth of the entire phone leaving no room to put some of the thicker components.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    06-21-14 11:18 PM
    it must have been a slow day.....on that note why does BB have to make the word BlackBerry stretch so far?
    06-21-14 11:38 PM
    Because the s4 /s5 don't have physical keyboards that are the depth of the entire phone leaving no room to put some of the thicker components.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    This is a very valid point.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 using the CB Forums App.
    06-21-14 11:58 PM
    This is a very valid point.
    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 using the CB Forums App.
    That point doesn't really hold water when compared to the Z10 or Z30

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    06-22-14 12:55 AM
    The OP is making a reasonable suggestion. The BlackBerry logo is huge. Look at Z10's design, a top and a bottom chin and a huge bezel (gestures can be performed with small bezels like Q10). Attacking the OP calling him silly, for his suggestion? Come on CB we can be more fair.
    06-22-14 01:24 AM
    Well in my opinion, yes, you can slide up to minimize the apps. Like the thin one in the Q10. But, It's a lot easier having some space to do some slide up. Oh, and also in android apps, you can swipe from the bottom middle of screen to right to back. In Q5/Q10 the screen is too small sometimes android apps can't fit with the action bar popping up so I hide that bar. Even in Q5 with some space to do that sometimes it doesn't work. So I think that gap/space is not that 'useless'. In my opinion though.

Sorry for bad, bad English. Peace!
    06-22-14 02:29 AM
    I agree. Logo should go to the sides or rear of the device. It will be more stylish.
    06-22-14 05:20 AM
    Why do they always leave so much real estate space at the top of their devices, when it can be used as screen space? why can't they remove the logo from there, and push the ear slit button higher and you'll get like 15%-20% more real estate. Yet again blackberry has made the same mistake, we could have gotten like 20% more screen but they are too cheap... shame on you john cheng
    Not a mistake at all IMO. The iPad mini I'm typing this on right now has about 3/4" of an inch on either side which, by your comments, is wasted screen space. I'm sure the engineering behind Blackberry devices and other products account for constraints and physical hardware requirements that dictate the size of the overall device.
    06-22-14 06:37 AM
    Interesting.

I think to complain about the unused space is only valid at the Z 10.
    Lets have a look:
    The PCB Design is not the best I have ever seen and wastes a lot of space, which could have been used for a bigger battery or should have been used. I dont know the circumstances for this design.

Why does BlackBerry leave such a big space atop their phones?-desgin2.jpg
    Why does BlackBerry leave such a big space atop their phones?-design.jpg
    When look close enough you see a lot of wasted space at the top (where the camera is ) of the pcb. I dont know how many layers this board has, but its anyway which side you watch. both sides do not use their top layer in this area. I dont know if the reason is signal timing or something like this.

This goes further, as you can see that we do not have that much parts in the bottom. no board, a speaker an nothing more.
    Wasted Space.
    Why does BlackBerry leave such a big space atop their phones?-nothingdownside.jpg

yeah, but if you look at other teardowns i cant say: only the z10 was not really good in using space.
    Bla1ze and WorkStation 0 like this.
    06-22-14 06:51 AM
    That point doesn't really hold water when compared to the Z10 or Z30

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    For those they have implemented larger off screen touch areas. Thought the frame around that could be lessened I'm assuming the reason for that design is to provide better impact protection in the case of a fall. Drop a Z30 and an S4 and see which will handle the most abuse.

Posted via CB App from my Galaxy S4 Mini with an LED CrackLight ;-)
    06-22-14 12:33 PM
    I totally agree, but I wouldn't use it for screen space, I'd shorten the device or add a fourth row of keys.

Posted via CB10
    allwi likes this.
    06-22-14 12:58 PM
    Isn't it obvious? It would be squished in with other conponents. All you have to do is suffer with a smaller battery. LOL. I'm sorry that's sarcasm. I honestly. Didn't read all of his post. Because after the words screen/logo I looked at my phone Z10 and Filed the rest as jibberish.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:09 PM
    Tell that to apple.....

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:10 PM
    Interesting.

I think to complain about the unused space is only valid at the Z 10.
    Lets have a look:
    The PCB Design is not the best I have ever seen and wastes a lot of space, which could have been used for a bigger battery or should have been used. I dont know the circumstances for this design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desgin2.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	347.8 KB 
ID:	279615

Name:	design.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	279616
    When look close enough you see a lot of wasted space at the top (where the camera is ) of the pcb. I dont know how many layers this board has, but its anyway which side you watch. both sides do not use their top layer in this area. I dont know if the reason is signal timing or something like this.

This goes further, as you can see that we do not have that much parts in the bottom. no board, a speaker an nothing more.
    Wasted Space.

Name:	nothingdownside.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	279617

yeah, but if you look at other teardowns i cant say: only the z10 was not really good in using space.
    But then you have to figure how to still leave it as a removable battery

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 02:36 PM
    nope. its not just my opinion mistake. anyone can see this.!
    Hmm - perhaps the Armchair CEO forum can use a subforum - "armchair head of industrial design".
    currentodysseys likes this.
    06-22-14 05:02 PM
    For those they have implemented larger off screen touch areas. Thought the frame around that could be lessened I'm assuming the reason for that design is to provide better impact protection in the case of a fall. Drop a Z30 and an S4 and see which will handle the most abuse.

Posted via CB App from my Galaxy S4 Mini with an LED CrackLight ;-)
    As I was reading through this thread that is exactly what I was thinking...

I once had my Z10 out and about all naked for all of a half day and as expected I had my first ever drop. It landed exactly on the top corner, gave it a little road rash but nothing else. First thing I thought was dang...good thing the glass does not go right to the edge of the corners!

I also quickly put it back in the transform case and learned a lesson...have not dropped it since mind you.
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-22-14 05:32 PM
    I am just wondering how the OP got this phone so far in advance...and figured out how to take apart. We'll done.
    06-22-14 05:53 PM
79 1234