Why do they always leave so much real estate space at the top of their devices, when it can be used as screen space? why can't they remove the logo from there, and push the ear slit button higher and you'll get like 15%-20% more real estate. Yet again blackberry has made the same mistake, we could have gotten like 20% more screen but they are too cheap... shame on you john cheng
    mas_quemex likes this.
    06-21-14 03:01 PM
    I dunno, I never really considered it a problem. It's a mistake in your opinion, not mine.
    06-21-14 03:11 PM
    It really is not a problem seems natural the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 03:14 PM
    I dunno, I never really considered it a problem. It's a mistake in your opinion, not mine.
    nope. its not just my opinion mistake. anyone can see this. there is no reason for the blackberry logo at the top to take up so much room when all that room can be used for screen space.
    think about it logically if they removed all that wasted space at the top we could get like 20% more screen area!!
    06-21-14 03:19 PM
    nope. its not just my opinion mistake. anyone can see this. there is no reason for the blackberry logo at the top to take up so much room when all that room can be used for screen space.
    think about it logically if they removed all that wasted space at the top we could get like 20% more screen area!!
    Well now you're just being silly. I see and know what you mean, I just don't care and don't consider it to be a mistake, you do and that's fine but again.. it's your opinion that it's a mistake. I'm sure many will agree with you just as I'm sure many, like me, won't care. *shrug*
    06-21-14 03:28 PM
    Hey, Sack, I feel the same way regarding the bottom of the devices. The placement of the logo on the back also boggles my mind.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    06-21-14 03:39 PM
    And to those who think it is a mistake have you ever designed hardware?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 03:41 PM
    Ya ... I could care less I love the look of the new phones and I'm happy with the current screen size 3.5" is more than enough for me. It sounds like the op needs a z30
    06-21-14 03:42 PM
    LED, Camera, Speaker technology... the micro elements have to be incrusted somewhere... The devices are flat... the rest of the space is occupied by THE KEYBOARD, battery, SIM, etc.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    JGoodard and knownastron like this.
    06-21-14 03:45 PM
    Posted via CB10
    No need to be condescending.

06-21-14 03:57 PM
    Ever stop to think there is something behind the logo? Circuitry, wiring etc... the device looks great that way regardless.
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    06-21-14 04:04 PM
    Why do they always leave so much real estate space at the top of their devices, when it can be used as screen space? why can't they remove the logo from there, and push the ear slit button higher and you'll get like 15%-20% more real estate. Yet again blackberry has made the same mistake, we could have gotten like 20% more screen but they are too cheap... shame on you john cheng
    So where would the front camera, speaker and proximity sensor go?

Posted via CB10
    axllebeer and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-21-14 04:05 PM
    I believe the Q10 has this effect only. The top has a bit of extra space and could of been used for more screen size and also the sides as well in order to make a 1:1 ratio as intended.

But I am sure BlackBerry had their reasons to design it the way they did.

Attachment 279507

Other then that..I believe all other devices used screen space very efficiently..especially the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RafiqK; 06-21-14 at 04:21 PM.
    06-21-14 04:06 PM
    So where would the front camera, speaker and proximity sensor go?
    Posted via CB10
    Why does BlackBerry leave such a big space atop their phones?-smartphone-comparison-2013a-5.jpg
    I use this comparison as an example of the differences. It seems some manufacturers are able to push the screen farther out.

06-21-14 04:11 PM
    I agree that the space should be maximized for screen and the logo on the back should be at the top so it's visible while being held.

But if it's BlackBerry's goal to make it look like the past then I guess what they're doing for the Classic is correct.

I'd love to see a modern looking Q5 type device with a trackpad. But everyone's taste is different. I don't own one but to me the Q5 is the best looking device.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    06-21-14 04:15 PM
    Exactly. Sometimes form has to follow function.
    06-21-14 04:16 PM
    Exactly. Sometimes form has to follow function.
    I completely agree.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 04:20 PM
    I can agree with the OP and disagree at the same time. It's a situation that could be improved, but doesn't have to be.
    BerryBerto likes this.
    06-21-14 04:58 PM
    I agree that the space should be maximized for screen and the logo on the back should be at the top so it's visible while being held.

But if it's BlackBerry's goal to make it look like the past then I guess what they're doing for the Classic is correct.

I'd love to see a modern looking Q5 type device with a trackpad. But everyone's taste is different. I don't own one but to me the Q5 is the best looking device.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    Why should the logo be at the top? Why does it matter to you if other people know what phone you are using?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:32 PM
    I never said that the proximity censor and camera hole should be moved, there is about a nails worth of real estate space that is wasted where the BlackBerry logo is... ytthey could just place the BlackBerry logo at the bottom under the keyboard or move it higher and we would get 15%-20 more screen space.

Also it has nothing to do with function.. BlackBerry is just being cheap as usual.. look at the q10 we didn't even get a leather case holster witth it

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    06-21-14 05:55 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartphone-comparison-2013a-5.jpg 
Views:	2185 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	279505
    I use this comparison as an example of the differences. It seems some manufacturers are able to push the screen farther out.

The side bezel space is roughly the same on all the devices in the chart. If a device keeps to the existing width (since the side bezel width is fine), then the height is determined from it, due to keeping a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio.

An argument could be said to make the Z10 shorter, by removing some top/bottom bezel, but in order to add more screen space by utilizing the top/bottom, then the screen needs to be wider too (in keeping with the desired aspect ratio).
    eddy_berry likes this.
    06-21-14 06:15 PM
    I never said that the proximity censor and camera hole should be moved, there is about a nails worth of real estate space that is wasted where the BlackBerry logo is... ytthey could just place the BlackBerry logo at the bottom under the keyboard or move it higher and we would get 15%-20 more screen space.

Also it has nothing to do with function.. BlackBerry is just being cheap as usual.. look at the q10 we didn't even get a leather case holster witth it

Posted via CB10
    Behind the glass there is hardware in that space. The camera is much bigger than the tiny hole it peaks out through. The screen is much bigger than what you see as well. BlackBerry wasn't wasting space to make room for the logo. They were putting the logo in what would otherwise be a visually awkward blank spot.
    donemt and sk8er_tor like this.
    06-21-14 06:28 PM
    Behind the glass there is hardware in that space. The camera is much bigger than the tiny hole it peaks out through. The screen is much bigger than what you see as well. BlackBerry wasn't wasting space to make room for the logo. They were putting the logo in what would otherwise be a visually awkward blank spot.
    Ok if that's the case how come samsung is able to utilize all that space on their s4/s5?
    Take a look at a few samsung phones u'll see that thet use the screen right to the top

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 06:53 PM
    Also, I think balance played a big part in the decision to place the logo at the top. Too much space below the keyboard would make the typing experience less comfortable. And why would you want them to introduce another non-standard aspect ratio?

As for BlackBerry being cheap for not giving you a leather holster for free, do any other smartphone manufacturers give premium accessories like this for free?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 07:02 PM
    Ok if that's the case how come samsung is able to utilize all that space on their s4/s5?
    Take a look at a few samsung phones u'll see that thet use the screen right to the top

Posted via CB10
    It's quite simple, the Samsung is almost twice the size of a Q10. They were able to move some components like the antena to a different location. And BlackBerry achieved the same thing with the Z30. The Q10 is just too small.

Have a look at that list again. What do all small phones have in common? That's right, they all have a lot of "unused" space above the screen.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots and southlander like this.
    06-21-14 07:10 PM
79 123 ...