Thank you for the kindness - this world needs more of it. (I've actually been on this site since 2013, to search for solutions; but I've only recently been posting and asking questions.)
    02-05-19 01:49 PM
    Chuck , I am Very appreciative of your help, knowledge and assistance to me through this thread and the question that I had. I am even considering returning the Passport because of your help and information. However, Troy Tiscareno's comments were rude, presumptive, insulting of me, my intelligence and the work that I do /did, and was directed at me personally. That's all I'm going to say because I don't want this thread turning into an argument.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-05-19 02:06 PM
    Chuck , I am Very appreciative of your help, knowledge and assistance to me through this thread and the question that I had. I am even considering returning the Passport because of your help and information. However, Troy Tiscareno's comments were rude, presumptive, insulting of me, my intelligence and the work that I do /did, and was directed at me personally. That's all I'm going to say because I don't want this thread turning into an argument.
    Regardless of the intent, and perspective maintained, I can say we’re glad to have you here posting.. LOL you have five years of posts to make up for, get busy typing and share with us all your opinions.... there are no wrong opinions and strongly encouraged to be shared... just remember all sides are fair game and the room is 360 degrees round..... LOL
    02-05-19 02:16 PM
    What’s to apologize for? We’ve been replying politely to questions. The OP statements were pretty strong and we’re discussing our viewpoints and helping correct some misinformation about the BB10 and the Passport regarding it's nearing EOL status and it’s apparent limitations with certain apps.
    The OP answered you and I will leave it at that.

Posted via CB10
    CharBerry718 likes this.
    02-05-19 02:22 PM
    Regardless of the intent, and perspective maintained, I can say we’re glad to have you here posting.. LOL you have five years of posts to make up for, get busy typing and share with us all your opinions.... there are no wrong opinions and strongly encouraged to be shared... just remember all sides are fair game and the room is 360 degrees round..... LOL
    LOL - yes, I have been watching, reading and learning. Even though I am older than you guys, I know that I can learn a lot from you all. Like I had said, my IT and technical knowledge is in the Pharmaceutical Software Industry. I've even designed and developed a Translatable Clinical Trials Data Management system, where the data can be shared and translated from English, to German, French, Japanese and all stored in the same database. That's where my Oracle training & experience was handy. But this phone OS stuff, when I first heard the terms Marshmallow and Lollipop versions of OS, I was like WHAT??? This is a Whole different world to me
    02-05-19 02:36 PM
    LOL - yes, I have been watching, reading and learning. Even though I am older than you guys, I know that I can learn a lot from you all. Like I had said, my IT and technical knowledge is in the Pharmaceutical Software Industry. I've even designed and developed a Translatable Clinical Trials Data Management system, where the data can be shared and translated from English, to German, French, Japanese and all stored in the same database. That's where my Oracle training & experience was handy. But this phone OS stuff, when I first heard the terms Marshmallow and Lollipop versions of OS, I was like WHAT??? This is a Whole different world to me
    I’m turning 49 in March and that means you’re in my ageosphere.... however I have no official IT background, so you’re ahead of me, technically speaking
    02-05-19 03:29 PM
    and fourth the only phone I purchased was the Passport, which I haven't even received yet, and I also bought it NEW (unboxed, still wrapped, never been opened) also - just from a different source.
    What you bought was new old stock. The Passport was discontinued two years ago. Blackberry has no obligation or intent to provide any software updates beyond, possibly, a few minor bug fixes before the end of this year. There is no longer any sort of warranty or guarantee that the phone will continue to function as intended, or to run new third party software or connected services going forward.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-19 04:21 PM
    I’m turning 49 in March and that means you’re in my ageosphere.... however I have no official IT background, so you’re ahead of me, technically speaking
    Hahahaha - well you are Way ahead of me in the phone OS platform knowledge and skills, and that's what everyone is focused on now; myself included, since I no longer work in the Corporate world.

I didn't see the phone/network/OS changes coming the way they did. In the IT world you keep the same hardware (for a reasonably longer time) and just upgrade the software. I think Apple is to blame for the "well, can't get into the Operating System to fix it, so just chuck it and buy a new phone" mentality. I'm used to being able to go into Operating systems and fixing and installing patches and upgrades, etc. and that's why I purchased the Classic because it had an OS upgrade that I thought would continue to be upgraded....and so then keeping and being able to continue using the same hardware. That was my logic and experience.....but it didn't go that way...
    02-05-19 04:23 PM
    Heck. I'm 53 and certainly not the oldest forum member around here, looking at the "oldest crackberrian" thread we had here recently.

But, I've also been active around here for nearly 10 years now, and can understand how some responses can be rather blunt and seem rude. It happens more out of frustration, and I've done it before too. We should be more forgiving of newcomers, or new-posters.

However, once hard-headedness kicks in... all bets are off.
    02-05-19 04:44 PM
    To directly answer the question that the OP asked, to use Pandora, one must have an Android device running 6.0 Marshmallow or newer, or an iPhone running IOS 10. 0 or newer.

https://help.pandora.com/s/article/M...language=en_US
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-05-19 05:43 PM
    I think Apple is to blame for the "well, can't get into the Operating System to fix it, so just chuck it and buy a new phone" mentality.
    Really? Because Apple still provides updates for phones that are now almost 6 years old.
    02-05-19 11:56 PM
    Really? Because Apple still provides updates for phones that are now almost 6 years old.
    Smartphones have been around long enough... I don't get someone not being aware of the update cycles?

I wouldn't buy anything that's five years old, and just expect to be able to update the firmware on it. Things have greatly improved from the BBOS days of devices not running next years OS release...
    02-06-19 07:34 AM
    Apple is in a singular position of designing their SoC (System On A Chip) in-house, so they have complete control of the features and implementation of those features. This allows Apple the ability to support older hardware for a longer period of time than any other company in the market - though they have still abandoned buyers of early devices quite quickly (the original iPad, for example, before they controlled the SoC).

All other manufacturers have to buy SoCs from Qualcomm or MediaTek or whoever, and are dependent on driver support from the manufacturer for every major version release of their OS. If the manufacturer decides not to make and release drivers, then you either go without or you pay the millions of dollars the manufacturer wants to do it as a side project.

But even if you are willing to pay, there may be parts of the design that are incompatible with the new software, so a particular SoC family will be abandoned. That's just the reality of the smartphone business and why manufacturers don't bother with devices older than 2 years in most cases (with a few exceptions).

A 5-year old smartphone from any manufacturer, even Apple, is considered irrelevant and unimportant, and given that all devices are cleared off a manufacturer's books after no more than 2 years (from that device model's market introduction) through clearance sales, buying old stock is seen by the company as working against them rather than for them. The company only makes money when you buy a current device (for BB, that currently means a Key2 or Key2LE - even K1s are off the books at this point).

And outside of some narrow exceptions, you cannot just install new software on your device as you wish - you are dependent on the manufacturer, who is in turn dependant on the SoC's manufacturer.

There may be a time when smartphones are more like PCs and you will have options on the software you run on it, but that has never been the case with mobile devices in general over the last 20 years (i.e., since the Palm Pilot).
    02-06-19 12:51 PM
    Just a heads up... OP was able to get Pandora running on her Passport.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...sport-1162191/
    02-06-19 07:11 PM
    Yes, I was able to get Pandora on my Passport thanks to Brookie229 and Zim9000. I had already downloaded some APK files and got a link from the 2 mentioned above.

I just want to say that the last couple guys that posted on this thread (Elephant_Canyon & Dunt Dunt Dunt) about "not being aware" of phone cycle updates; obviously that is not the case. You guys Completely Missed my point about getting into the iOS on iPhones.

Do you remember in early 2016, the FBI wanted Apple to unlock an iPhone used by a Syed Farook, who weeks earlier had killed 14 people in a terrorist attack in San Bernardino, CA?

Apple had helped pull some data from Farook's iCloud account, but some additional data was missing. The FBI couldn't get into the phone because it didn't know the passcode, and Even After a US Magistrate Judge Ordered Apple to create the software to open the iOS for the FBI, Apple STILL refused; with Cook arguing that the order went too far and would threaten the security of all iPhone users stating that bypassing the iPhone's password meant creating a "back door" in its iOS software that could then be used to access every other iPhone. (On a Blackberry, I can get into my OS no problem. I can save and backup my data and even extract data out of the .BBB backup files.)

Apple actually REFUSED to provide info to the FBI regarding a Terrorist that had killed Americans. That level of "Security" contradicts Security for us as Americans, if Apple is going to protect the Terrorists. Everyone that I have known that has had an iPhone has, at some point, had it lock up on them, not boot, etc....and what they've all had to end up doing is going to the Apple store, and they get "Sold" a new phone and LOSE ALL THEIR DATA and contacts; and NOT having their existing phone fixed and their data saved.

So, we are talking about Completely different platforms and operating systems; iPhone, MicroSoft, Android and Blackberry, etc. etc.. and Designed Completely differently.

There is a very interesting 4-Part Series on the Science Channel called Silicon Valley: The Untold Story. If you are a Techie you will Really enjoy watching it, as I did (twice), and it explains how we got to where we are in technology (also the Microsoft vs. Apple situation)
    and why it took Apple SO long to find their Niche and a product that finally started making them money (with a huge financial assist by Bill Gates) because the Social Media niche finally became available; Because before that, Everything was Business related.

So, I hope you enjoy watching the series as much as I did, and I hope I don't get a bunch of nasty messages back. I am just trying to clarify what I meant about "no access to iOS" for users. I have learned from people on this site, but I have also learned by testing, wiping, reinstalling, reading, rewiping, reinstalling, etc etc. even hacking into my Samsung Android test phone OS.

Here's the link to the CNet article: This situation isn't resolved yet. But IMHO, I don't think that Apple should be telling the FBI "NO".

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-vs-f...tuck-in-limbo/
    02-07-19 01:23 AM
    Well retrospectively, we all just wish BB 10 sold more than Apple and Android put together. As long as a BB10 device serves your needs with all the accompanying quirks of asking around how to make it work like an overlord, you should just be fine. I've owned all passports except the Red edition and lovingly cared for all of them it, ensuring the white never faded or scratched, made full use of the quad microphone and inner ear speaker setup, enjoyed it's stereo output, clicked beautiful 1:1 and 4:3 shots with. But it was more of a hardware accessory for me, specifically a full time keyboard if you must. It never fulfilled the software aspect, which the Android BlackBerry's do along with the keyboard aspect today. This is my story.
    02-07-19 02:15 AM
    ?

Apple had helped pull some data from Farook's iCloud account, but some additional data was missing. The FBI couldn't get into the phone because it didn't know the passcode, and Even After a US Magistrate Judge Ordered Apple to create the software to open the iOS for the FBI, Apple STILL refused; with Cook arguing that the order went too far and would threaten the security of all iPhone users stating that bypassing the iPhone's password meant creating a "back door" in its iOS software that could then be used to access every other iPhone. (On a Blackberry, I can get into my OS no problem. I can save and backup my data and even extract data out of the .BBB backup files.)
    So how do you extract data out of a BB10 .BBB backup files? Many here would like to know that process.

Really don't know what you are going on about..... Do BlackBerries have some built in back door that would have allowed BlackBerry to access Farook's Data? Problem with backdoors, is once it's known they are there... others will find a way in. And your customers will stop putting their valuable in your care. Only Backdoor BlackBerry had was for BBM data, because it used a single common encryption key. Which is why in 2019 hardly anyone uses consumer BBM.
    02-07-19 07:36 AM
    I just want to say that the last couple guys that posted on this thread (Elephant_Canyon & Dunt Dunt Dunt) about "not being aware" of phone cycle updates; obviously that is not the case. You guys Completely Missed my point about getting into the iOS on iPhones.
    How could we see your point when literally none of the argument detailed in this post was even mentioned previously in the thread?

Apple had helped pull some data from Farook's iCloud account, but some additional data was missing. The FBI couldn't get into the phone because it didn't know the passcode, and Even After a US Magistrate Judge Ordered Apple to create the software to open the iOS for the FBI, Apple STILL refused; with Cook arguing that the order went too far and would threaten the security of all iPhone users stating that bypassing the iPhone's password meant creating a "back door" in its iOS software that could then be used to access every other iPhone.
    And everything Cook said was true. There is no such thing as a backdoor that is available only to law enforcement. If it exists, bad actors such as criminals and fascist (or totalitarian or corrupt) governments will find a way in. The Pandora's box that would be opened would be even worse than the minuscule security gained from opening up that one iPhone to widespread exploits.

(On a Blackberry, I can get into my OS no problem. I can save and backup my data and even extract data out of the .BBB backup files.)
    Can someone else do it if you're dead and didn't leave your passcode somewhere it could be found? Because that is the situation you're discussing.

Apple actually REFUSED to provide info to the FBI regarding a Terrorist that had killed Americans. That level of "Security" contradicts Security for us as Americans, if Apple is going to protect the Terrorists.
    By opening this one phone up to security exploits, you'd be giving even more terrorists the power to cause even more widespread damage by opening up the personal data of anybody in the world who has an iPhone to any bad actor with a little bit of technical expertise.

This situation isn't resolved yet.
    Because the FBI dropped the case, knowing that a judicial ruling that didn't go their way would set a legal precedent that they could never even attempt take this course of action in the future.

But IMHO, I don't think that Apple should be telling the FBI "NO".
    It's a moot point now, because encryption keys are stored locally on the phone, and Apple does not have access to them. With new protections built into iPhones and iOS, the phone won't even give accessories access when plugged into a locked device. Even if Apple wanted to comply with a legal order to unlock someone's phone, they would not be able to.
    02-07-19 11:24 AM
    Because the FBI dropped the case, knowing that a judicial ruling that didn't go their way would set a legal precedent that they could never even attempt take this course of action in the future.
    Did you not read the article and the news? The FBI did NOT Drop the case, they got a COURT ORDER, the JUDGE ORDERED APPLE to open up the phone! So because APPLE refused, the FBI found another 3rd party company to do it. OMG - and THIS is Exactly why I don't post on here.

....and do you really think the FBI is EVER going to Drop a case against a Terrorist?
    Last edited by CharBerry718; 02-07-19 at 03:35 PM.
    02-07-19 03:04 PM
    So how do you extract data out of a BB10 .BBB backup files? Many here would like to know that process.

Really don't know what you are going on about..... Do BlackBerries have some built in back door that would have allowed BlackBerry to access Farook's Data? Problem with backdoors, is once it's known they are there... others will find a way in. And your customers will stop putting their valuable in your care. Only Backdoor BlackBerry had was for BBM data, because it used a single common encryption key. Which is why in 2019 hardly anyone uses consumer BBM.
    Yes, there is a way to extract out data from the BBB files. I have been able to extract out text messages and sort, filter and get them into an Excel spreadsheet. I guess that's where my long-term IT experience and design/developer skills have been Very helpful. I have even won 2 lawsuits by putting that data in front of a Judge and him reading it for himself.
    02-07-19 03:12 PM
    And everything Cook said was true. There is no such thing as a backdoor that is available only to law enforcement. If it exists, bad actors such as criminals and fascist (or totalitarian or corrupt) governments will find a way in. The Pandora's box that would be opened would be even worse than the minuscule security gained from opening up that one iPhone to widespread exploits.
    Cook did not say "there is no such thing as backdoor.....for law enforcement" as you worded it. He REFUSED to Provide the programming code (i.e. software) for it; and even if they didn't have programming code for it, they could have very easily written some for the FBI to help them protect our country. Again, you are missing the point of being able to get into the iOS or OS of devices. The DATA is what is critical to solving the case. You are not a developer so you don't understand that basically Anything that is needed can be developed - and Apple can VERY easily keep it under their own Lock and Key Security for situations like Terrorism and protecting our country.
    02-07-19 03:26 PM
    OP got problem fixed, thread is now just ranting about politics amd such. Closed!
    02-07-19 03:32 PM
47 12