I feel like BlackBerry could offer their existing hardware form factors with a choice of Android or Windows (Or BlackBerry 10 - but I think that ship has sailed, been torpedoed by Nazi U-boats, steered into an iceberg, and gone down in pieces with the survivors freezing to death huddled on the iceberg saying "don't worry, Chen will rescue us soon" ).

They would basically be re using an existing design with different software. A lot of people are with BlackBerry for the design, and I think that the Priv just doesn't capture enough of it. I wouldn't go for the Priv design, but I would definitely go Classic if they released it with Windows (or Android, but Windows is my first choice).

I wonder if there are enough users like myself to make such a project financially viable, and I wonder how much would it cost them to develop a Windows (or Android) version of the Classic? I realise that there are other Android devices supposedly in the pipeline, but surely it costs less to re purpose an existing successful design than it does to keep creating new designs which have an unknown chance of success.

Obviously Satan will be building snowmen before this happens, but I'm just curious how many other people have thought about this.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:32 AM
    Buying a W10 OS phone is a definition of insanity. Android or iOS are the only paths.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    04-07-16 05:40 AM
    Buying a W10 OS phone is a definition of insanity. Android or iOS are the only paths.

Why? W10 has Microsoft services, that's basically what I use. Okay, so I have an iOS device as well - but I only use that for iMessage.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:45 AM
    Seriously this would be the last thing I'll ever think of doing. Android is just fine
    04-07-16 06:23 AM

I kind of agree, but it's subjective and personal preference, but for me, my experience with Windows Phone was a disaster. But never tried WP10...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-07-16 07:53 AM
    Why? W10 has Microsoft services, that's basically what I use. Okay, so I have an iOS device as well - but I only use that for iMessage.

Posted via CB10
    They are losing market share in the US and having app issues as well. The direction doesn't look like it's trending the right way. Hence the comment about about the definition of insanity.

04-07-16 08:51 AM
    Intriguing idea. But I'm not happy with the direction Microsoft has taken with Windows 10 and the data-mining it has built into it. It's a privacy nightmare.

The Continuum feature is something I have dreamed of having on a smartphone for years, but if I have to give up my personal data to Microsoft to use it that's too high a price for me.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    04-07-16 09:00 AM
    Intriguing idea. But I'm not happy with the direction Microsoft has taken with Windows 10 and the data-mining it has built into it. It's a privacy nightmare.

The Continuum feature is something I have dreamed of having on a smartphone for years, but if I have to give up my personal data to Microsoft to use it that's too high a price for me.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    You mean you don't just have a series of alternate personas and fake identities to present to software corporations? You know - buy a phone off Craigslist, use it to set up an ID in a foreign country, set all the double authentication to email only and thereafter only access that identity via an Indian proxy on single use virtual machines.

In my opinion, you will not be able to avoid data mining in any case without a constant, conscious effort to do so. Do you believe that google does not aggregate the metadata from your searches, or that Apple does not use machine learning to analyse your personality via Siri?

They track me through Windows 10, which is the reason I started using Linux more frequently - but it's not enough. Every search is tracked to my IP and MAC address. So I used Disconnect search, but it's not enough because ISPs track raw packets from my IP address and MAC address - So I use a MAC address changer on my laptop which chooses a random MAC address every 10 minutes, but it's still not enough. They track me through browser fingerprinting and "ever" cookies, so I use a fresh virtual machine for every boot with a random browser selection. But that's still not enough, they track geographic location of clean browser installs. So I change my location with TOR and proxies, but it's still not enough - turns out TOR is controlled by the NSA and they track me through TOR, so I took my laptop and dumped it in the river, I drove as fast and far as I could and they tracked me through my car's ICU - so I dumped the car and burned it, as the smoke rose into the sky they tracked me with the smoke, so I ran to hide - into the hills I fled, I left every piece of material from the modern world - keys, cards, headphones. I made a pair of shoes from tree bark and vines, slept in a hole in the ground and they tracked me following my footprints and the marks I left on the land. So I stopped running - I found out who they were, walked straight towards them. Down from the hills I came, into the city, into the lair of the beast - and I asked them what they wanted, and they said they wanted me and that they wanted all of us. And I asked them why, and they said because they rule us it is their right to take what is theirs. So I said that I disagree, but they told me that they would give me a FREE TRIAL OF AMAZON PRIME if I signed the paper, so here I am watching TV with my nice new Amazon TV stick.

Posted via CB10
    baarn, kertong, bh7171 and 1 others like this.
    04-07-16 10:08 AM
    Even less people than bought it with BB10.
    04-07-16 11:06 AM
    You mean you don't just have a series of alternate personas and fake identities to present to software corporations? You know - buy a phone off Craigslist, use it to set up an ID in a foreign country, set all the double authentication to email only and thereafter only access that identity via an Indian proxy on single use virtual machines.

In my opinion, you will not be able to avoid data mining in any case without a constant, conscious effort to do so. Do you believe that google does not aggregate the metadata from your searches, or that Apple does not use machine learning to analyse your personality via Siri?

They track me through Windows 10, which is the reason I started using Linux more frequently - but it's not enough. Every search is tracked to my IP and MAC address. So I used Disconnect search, but it's not enough because ISPs track raw packets from my IP address and MAC address - So I use a MAC address changer on my laptop which chooses a random MAC address every 10 minutes, but it's still not enough. They track me through browser fingerprinting and "ever" cookies, so I use a fresh virtual machine for every boot with a random browser selection. But that's still not enough, they track geographic location of clean browser installs. So I change my location with TOR and proxies, but it's still not enough - turns out TOR is controlled by the NSA and they track me through TOR, so I took my laptop and dumped it in the river, I drove as fast and far as I could and they tracked me through my car's ICU - so I dumped the car and burned it, as the smoke rose into the sky they tracked me with the smoke, so I ran to hide - into the hills I fled, I left every piece of material from the modern world - keys, cards, headphones. I made a pair of shoes from tree bark and vines, slept in a hole in the ground and they tracked me following my footprints and the marks I left on the land. So I stopped running - I found out who they were, walked straight towards them. Down from the hills I came, into the city, into the lair of the beast - and I asked them what they wanted, and they said they wanted me and that they wanted all of us. And I asked them why, and they said because they rule us it is their right to take what is theirs. So I said that I disagree, but they told me that they would give me a FREE TRIAL OF AMAZON PRIME if I signed the paper, so here I am watching TV with my nice new Amazon TV stick.

Posted via CB10
    You take your name seriously huh? Lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-07-16 01:28 PM
    No

Posted via Q10 / 10.3.2.2836
    04-07-16 01:45 PM
    Nope. I love the Classic but not Windows haha.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 04:49 PM
    I'd rather just buy a(nother) BB10 Classic instead...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    ^i had a similar experience to this once, but it involved an alien abduction, some hydroponics and shadow figures holding BlackBerrys while wearing crowns... Alas I was NOT offered a free trial of Amazon Prime though...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:31 PM
    I feel like BlackBerry could offer their existing hardware form factors with a choice of Android or Windows (Or BlackBerry 10 - but I think that ship has sailed, been torpedoed by Nazi U-boats, steered into an iceberg, and gone down in pieces with the survivors freezing to death huddled on the iceberg saying "don't worry, Chen will rescue us soon" ).

Posted via CB10
    So close to the anniversary of the Titantic's fateful voyage your reference to the sinking reference after striking an Iceberg is out of line in my opinion.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    04-07-16 07:11 PM
    So close to the anniversary of the Titantic's fateful voyage your reference to the sinking reference after striking an Iceberg is out of line in my opinion.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    Holy political correctness, Batman! <

Really? LSDBerry was clearly only cracking a joke in reference to the movie Titanic. As in Kate Winslet and Leo... (Talk about offensive, btw... That movie on its' own is a whole other offensive issue not meant for this thread... So with that, I digress... ) NOT to the actual Titanic wreck... So kindly cool your nips and grow a sense of humor, please... It's just NOT THAT serious...

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 07:29 PM

They would basically be re using an existing design with different software. A lot of people are with BlackBerry for the design, and I think that the Priv just doesn't capture enough of it. I wouldn't go for the Priv design, but I would definitely go Classic if they released it with Windows (or Android, but Windows is my first choice).

I wonder if there are enough users like myself to make such a project financially viable, and I wonder how much would it cost them to develop a Windows (or Android) version of the Classic? I realise that there are other Android devices supposedly in the pipeline, but surely it costs less to re purpose an existing successful design than it does to keep creating new designs which have an unknown chance of success.

Obviously Satan will be building snowmen before this happens, but I'm just curious how many other people have thought about this.

Posted via CB10

Who would buy a Windows version of the Classic?-960.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 07:49 PM
    ^i had a similar experience to this once, but it involved an alien abduction, some hydroponics and shadow figures holding BlackBerrys while wearing crowns... Alas I was NOT offered a free trial of Amazon Prime though...

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like Shadow People, or some relations thereof. They should have given you app store credits. If you still have the scar from the probing, you might be able to tweet a picture of it to Amazon accounts management and get your credits.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    04-08-16 02:29 PM
    Holy political correctness, Batman! <

Really? LSDBerry was clearly only cracking a joke in reference to the movie Titanic. As in Kate Winslet and Leo... (Talk about offensive, btw... That movie on its' own is a whole other offensive issue not meant for this thread... So with that, I digress... ) NOT to the actual Titanic wreck... So kindly cool your nips and grow a sense of humor, please... It's just NOT THAT serious...

Posted via CB10
    Too soon I guess?

04-08-16 04:29 PM
    Too soon I guess?

104 years is never too soon!
    04-08-16 04:40 PM
    Google won't approve a phone with 1:1 ratio so both Classic and Passport v. Android is out to pasture. Tomorrow someone will post wanting an Android Classic/Passport again like Groundhog Day.
    04-08-16 05:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    What the hell are Microsoft services ?
    04-08-16 06:29 PM
    Maybe the BSOD is a service

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 08:07 PM
    Uh no

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 08:17 PM
    Basically Office 365 / E3 + other similar widgets and doodads.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 01:54 AM
28 12