I am in the process as well the phone doesn't want to die tho....lol
    just out of curiosity, how are u and cseggleton attempting to drain your battery fast?
    12-28-14 01:25 PM
    just out of curiosity, how are u and cseggleton attempting to drain your battery fast?
    I am not draining my battery fast..I just wait for it to die...If there would be a switch to let the screen on all the time that is what i would do
    12-28-14 01:27 PM
    Plug small USB in device then plug into main. Tried it ten times worked every time with classic powered off. Hope this helps. Ps I'm a Newby but long time BlackBerry user Hi everybody Happy new year.
    12-28-14 04:09 PM
    Happy to see some results that it charges if completely dead. That's encouraging until there is some clarification or resolution.
    Generally it won't affect me because I never power off my phones at night. Just sleep mode.
    12-28-14 05:05 PM
    Plug small USB in device then plug into main. Tried it ten times worked every time with classic powered off. Hope this helps. Ps I'm a Newby but long time BlackBerry user Hi everybody Happy new year.
    This is what I suspected. I'll be doing some tests myself when my Classic arrives.

This BlackBerry Knowledge Base article seems to imply that the electrical current needs to flow to the device in a smooth, continuous motion. If you have the cable plugged into the wall first, then attempt to plug the other end into the phone, you need to do so in a continuous motion so that the electrical connection is not established in different segments as you are attempting to insert the cable into the phone. Of course, a better idea would be to plug in the phone-end of the cable first, and then plug the other end into the wall, so that the supply flows smoothly to the phone every time.

It's an interesting theory and I'll be testing it out extensively when I receive my device.
    12-28-14 05:06 PM
    almost there...18 % left b4 the phone die
    12-28-14 06:21 PM
    This is what I suspected. I'll be doing some tests myself when my Classic arrives.

This BlackBerry Knowledge Base article seems to imply that the electrical current needs to flow to the device in a smooth, continuous motion. If you have the cable plugged into the wall first, then attempt to plug the other end into the phone, you need to do so in a continuous motion so that the electrical connection is not established in different segments as you are attempting to insert the cable into the phone. Of course, a better idea would be to plug in the phone-end of the cable first, and then plug the other end into the wall, so that the supply flows smoothly to the phone every time.

It's an interesting theory and I'll be testing it out extensively when I receive my device.
    LOL...exactly
    12-28-14 06:22 PM
    slagman,

You are still not getting it: so, tell me - what happens if YOUR Classic suddenly has battery drain to the point where it powers off? How would you recharge it, since you cannot charge the Classic when powered off?

Z10 - 10.3.1.1151 w/996 radio
    Don Henry,

Please point out where I made any argument over this not needing to change. The only comments I've made was for intentionally turning off the device.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-28-14 09:33 PM
    geeeez my phone won't die..still 8% to go and it is late here
    12-28-14 11:24 PM
    jesus c....2 % now...that stup1d thing will turn off at zero%.....there should be a turn off point say 10 %...to power off by itself....

finally 0 % at h23:09...waiting for the Classic to power off

Attachment 323945
    Attachment 323946
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-29-14 at 12:14 AM.
    12-29-14 12:02 AM
    [QUOTE=Don_Henry;11202904]
    I STILL don't understand the point of turning the phone off to charge...

Hey slagman5,

Some leave their device on 24/7 (me) - others choose to power down at night (my wife). Personal choice - and yes, I could probably convince my wife to leave it on at night and set it to silent.

The REAL issue here is what happens if the phone battery goes to 0% and the device shuts down (long day out and about, or a rogue app taking over and causing sudden severe drain, etc.) - in the current situation, the device can then NOT BE CHARGED, rendering it an INOPERATIVE DEVICE (can't be charged because it can't be turned on because the battery is dead).

So - yes - this is a real problem - EVEN FOR YOU if you suddenly find yourself with a DEAD BATTERY!
    OMG, I don't know how many times I wrote it on this thread.

First, you should never ever leave a phone fully drain. Always plug it at night cause totally draining a lithium ion battery can permanently damage It.

Second, if you do accidentally drain the battery and it's off... once you plug it in... isn't there power now to turn it back on??? So what's the worry about not being able to turn it on?

Beside I believe the phone automatically turns on once it's plugged it.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:08 AM
    [QUOTE=bobshine;11205932]

OMG, I don't know how many times I wrote it on this thread.

First, you should never ever leave a phone fully drain. Always plug it at night cause totally draining a lithium ion battery can permanently damage It.

Second, if you do accidentally drain the battery and it's off... once you plug it in... isn't there power now to turn it back on??? So what's the worry about not being able to turn it on?

Beside I believe the phone automatically turns on once it's plugged it.

Posted via CB10
    that's the thing I did one night the phone was at 51%..I power it off, plug it in, got up in the morning thinking it was fully charged still turn off..turn it on and there it was still sitting at 51%...

So the phone had not charged during the night whatsoever...Now it has to be tested... if by accident you forgot to charge it...will the phone turn on!!!
    12-29-14 12:20 AM
    Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooo..Phone off..... plug it in> the light came on and flashing....Waiting a few minutes then the phone POWERED ON BY ITSELF..

So One can conclude that the phone will not BRICK...

Phone now on and charging......3%....power off the device (while still connected to power source) to see if it will charge.....nope no light...waiting 5 minutes like that...well 3% was not enough juice..unplug it>power it on>still was showing me a dead battery

The phone is at 100% this fine morning....

THE PHONE HAS TO BE POWERED ON WHEN CHARGING
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-29-14 at 06:35 AM.
    12-29-14 01:10 AM
    time to bring this up
    12-29-14 08:03 AM
    I had the same problem on my Z10 last wednesday, it was cheerfully playing my offline radio music and suddenly i saw the last minute warning you get when your battery's running out. It was plugged in and could no longer recognize the usb plug even though the plug still worked on another device.

The charging light would only briefly come on. I had another plug handy made for Blackberry and it worked fine but for awhile after i plugged it in the charging light was still being iffy and i was adjusting the plug wondering if it was too late for my battery. I looked online and did the battery pull while plugged in. I hadnt seen anything like this before and was doing the same thing i do every day except usually its my Bold that i am playing music from.

After that everything seems to work normal again.

Last week my Bold did an unexpected battery drain while i was walking streaming blue tooth music like i do every week with plenty of battery left at the end of the day. The bold doesnt even have a sim card in it or have a network turned on or anything. After that incident it seems to work normal too.

So unexpected rapid battery drain seems like it might be a related topic that might be included in a poll, type of device, charging light, and unexpected battery drain that is not chronic.

Maybe the solar flare affected all our phones or something. Whether a person leaves their phone on all the time or not shouldnt be a relevant issue if it wasnt one before now. I dont leave my phone on all the time either for several reasons.
    I'm not having a problem charging I set my warning at 25% and carry a small 2600mAh charger.

It is interesting you using your 99 without phone service. I'm trying that also for forums and other apps with WiFi. Have you found a was to use Free Talk with WiFi? All the apps I found are for Android or iPhones only. I would pay $25 of an app to work on OS7/9900. Then SMS would work.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:29 AM
    This thread dropped to the second page... are people not having this issue anymore? Or did everyone adopt to the "never ever turn off your phone or let it drain" strategy...?
    12-30-14 11:02 AM
    This thread dropped to the second page... are people not having this issue anymore? Or did everyone adopt to the "never ever turn off your phone or let it drain" strategy...?
    read post #113
    12-30-14 11:36 AM
    read post #113
    Right, that the phone needs to be powered on in order to charge.

So I guess people are holding out for a software update to hopefully fix it, or some communication from BB that a fix is in the works, while they are still in the 30-day return window? Or are people really okay with owning a device that can't charge when powered off?
    12-31-14 01:09 AM
    As I've already said, it has nothing to do with the Classic. I'm having the exact same problem with my Q10 ever since I loaded the leaked 10.3.1 OS. It's an OS bug, not a hardware problem. If it was hardware, your phone would not charge ON or OFF.
    I have the 10.3.1.1151 leak on my Passport and Z30 and they both charge even if the power is off on the phone so maybe it only SOME 10.3.1 users? - But then again my Classic charges just fine with the power off. When I plug in the charger with the phone off I get a red light blink for about 1 second followed by a lightning bolt on the screen and then a flashing orange led. (This is the same for all 3 phones)
    12-31-14 03:49 AM
    I have the 10.3.1.1151 leak on my Passport and Z30 and they both charge even if the power is off on the phone so maybe it only SOME 10.3.1 users? - But then again my Classic charges just fine with the power off. When I plug in the charger with the phone off I get a red light blink for about 1 second followed by a lightning bolt on the screen and then a flashing orange led. (This is the same for all 3 phones)
    I guess you are the lucky one...but anyhow it now brick the phone
    12-31-14 01:15 PM
    Take a voltage meter to your outlet. If your circuit is near capacity you will not have 110-120 volts. These chargers were designed for optimum conditions.

I have the same problem OP is having with a warning message sometimes. As long as the charging symbol is ther it will charge. To bad they just didn't provide a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 amp charger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-31-14 07:18 PM
    Take a voltage meter to your outlet. If your circuit is near capacity you will not have 110-120 volts. These chargers were designed for optimum conditions.

I have the same problem OP is having with a warning message sometimes. As long as the charging symbol is ther it will charge. To bad they just didn't provide a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 amp charger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    doesn't matter I tried some other charger that was more powerful. Still the same for me
    Last edited by Alain_A; 12-31-14 at 11:08 PM.
    12-31-14 07:29 PM
    Don't know HAPPY NEW YEAR

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 10:45 PM
    "It is interesting you using your 99 without phone service. I'm trying that also for forums and other apps with WiFi. Have you found a was to use Free Talk with WiFi? All the apps I found are for Android or iPhones only. I would pay $25 of an app to work on OS7/9900. Then SMS would work."
    __________________________________________________ ______
    My Bold was my phone, and i switched to the Z10 only because my atnt sim card disabled my slacker radio caching feature and i want to keep using it for that. It really made me mad because atnt wouldnt admit it. Just using the Bold for music is good but i want to go back to it as my main phone. Z10 is nice but Bold is better phone / texter. Slacker caching wont work on BB10. I will be playing with another OS7 device soon just for keeping my Slacker offline music cuz i love it. I guess we digress a bit ...

My charging / battery problem hasnt come back yet, so far.
    01-01-15 12:18 AM
    "It is interesting you using your 99 without phone service. I'm trying that also for forums and other apps with WiFi. Have you found a was to use Free Talk with WiFi? All the apps I found are for Android or iPhones only. I would pay $25 of an app to work on OS7/9900. Then SMS would work."
    __________________________________________________ ______
    My Bold was my phone, and i switched to the Z10 only because my atnt sim card disabled my slacker radio caching feature and i want to keep using it for that. It really made me mad because atnt wouldnt admit it. Just using the Bold for music is good but i want to go back to it as my main phone. Z10 is nice but Bold is better phone / texter. Slacker caching wont work on BB10. I will be playing with another OS7 device soon just for keeping my Slacker offline music cuz i love it. I guess we digress a bit ...

My charging / battery problem hasn't come back yet, so far.
    Lets not steal this thread go to BB10 OS for a thread I started.

http://forums.crackberry.com/develop...y-25-a-986687/

Yes wouldn't it be nice to carry your main phone and the 9900 for long text and emails. Carry the main phone in a holster and the 9900 in your pocket. You wouldn't have to wipe it clean, plenty of RAM for texting.
    01-01-15 08:30 AM
257 ... 34567 ...