I have been a blackberry user for a long time now I had the 8320 the 8900 the 9000 the 9900 the z10 the z30 and now the passport. I got the passport for free because one of my buddies went back to iphone and he didnt want to bother selling it so he just gave it to me it was practically brand new. I love the passport. When I had the z30 I was planning on getting the classic but since the passport was given to me I decided to stick to it. Still missing the 9900 days and not sure how well the classic handles. I have played around with it a few times at the store I dont see any lags or anything and the feeling in the hand is perfect. I

know the passport has higher specs and everything I just wonder how much faster it is when actually using it. Are even basic functions like calling and opening texts faster on the passport? I know I would save time with the tool belt but I dont know if that time saved makes up for the speed of the passport. The passport is usable with one hand but you have to support the whole device with just your pinky so obviously not as easy to operate as the classic.

I want to hear from those who switched from the passport to the classic and those like me who actually used the passport for months not just a few days.

Posted via CB10
    aventurine likes this.
    04-05-15 03:41 PM
    04-05-15 10:03 PM
    I have them both and the Passport is significantly faster than all the other BB10 phones I've tried.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-05-15 10:09 PM
    I switched to classic because of how slightly pocket unfriendly the passport is. IMO the passport is the better device by far in terms of technical capability, but I found that I naturally just didn't have it on me as much because it isn't as nice to just slip in your pocket and go.

It's a shame that they didn't widely release the round edge version because I think that's all it needs to make it much less awkward.

To address the performance question, where you might feel the hit using the classic is android applications. E.g. on my classic spotify audio can skip, it feels like the hardware is just barely keeping pace with it. The transitions are slower also (minimising an application for example). Web browsing also, it will start to struggle on about 7 tabs I find.

It's a nice solid performing device for me, but if you're heavily into android apps you might find it not powerful enough. I guess it depends on your use, my passport sits in a drawer now
    04-05-15 10:14 PM
    Thanks man some helpful insights on there for sure I just have some specific concerns one of them being performance based but not on android aps and such just on basic functions like opening and closing active frames and speedialing and overall lags if any. Also just want to hear some fresh perspectives and from people who have really given the passport a chance and still think its a great device.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:27 PM
    I use google maps a lot from snap and carfax app from snap and instagram here and there. So really as far as android apps goes my only concern would be how well google maps and carfax work. I used to use carfax on z10 and z30 and dont recall any issues. Havent used google maps so wondering how that works on the classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 11:31 PM
    I understand that the Classic does not feature the same performance specs as other comparable devices however I don't understand where the issue of 'lag' came from. I am typing this using the CrackBerry App, I have the browser open with 5 tabs and I am also checking calendar entries and have open a word document - I am experiencing no lag at all.

I haven't used a Passport before (except when clearing immigration) however I imagine the device was designed to watch videos and listen to music.

BB10 and the default apps all run without any lag on the Classic - BlackBerry wouldn't have released it otherwise. If you think you would be faster having access to the toolbelt and find a smaller form factor appealing, then go ahead and buy the Classic with confidence that it will do everything you've stated without experiencing performance issues.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    andy957 likes this.
    04-06-15 01:12 AM
    It's running into summer here in hong kong and that wearing lite clothes means passport becomes more inconvenient for that.

Here's my top 3

1. Pocketing
    2. One hand use
    3. Toolbelt

But here are the things I am getting use to

1. Seems keyboard is weaker build, and the layout is hard to adjust after months with the pp keyboard
    2. Keyboard scrolling, actually it's rather fluid on the pp and works well on most apps.
    3. Bit slow on some native apps even (not droid apps)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 05:17 AM
    Me and didn't regret it
    I love more the classic in every way....
    It reminds me every day that I'm holding a classic blackberry
    Passport wasn't for me....

Posted via CB10
    emadr likes this.
    04-06-15 05:56 AM
    I went back to the Passport after using the classic for a few days. The passport is much faster,more responsive, and just plain much more powerful!

Posted via CB10
    quangtran1 and alb101 like this.
    04-06-15 09:51 AM
    Thank you for your responses everyone. Has anyone ever tried using google maps on the classic and the carfax app?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 12:11 PM
    Planning on getting the Bold 9900.

Passport to me is great but the form factor for my usage is going to be a let down.

Classic - im not a big fan of the plastic cover on its back.
    04-07-15 09:51 AM
    Planning on getting the Bold 9900.

Passport to me is great but the form factor for my usage is going to be a let down.

Classic - im not a big fan of the plastic cover on its back.
    Man I miss the bold like crazy. I just know it would be.a major downgrade. The passport has spoiled me with its powers.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 12:10 PM
    I've experienced little spots of lag here and there--all very random. I think it has more to do with the current OS build than the hardware. Upgrading to 10.3.1.2558 seemed to help.

Of course if the device gets too hot or it is syncing for the first time you'll see some lag. But for the most part, it's been pretty much lag-free. Opening large websites or more complicated android apps will take an extra few seconds. Apart from that, lag isn't an issue 99% of the time for me.

From a Classic
    04-07-15 06:42 PM
    Yeah now that I have everything loaded up and matched to my Passport I'm not seeing any lag at all. Everything seems to be running really nice. It's not as quick as the Passport but it's not really slow either. The tool belt is a nice addition as well even though it's not really needed with the gestures. Do like the call and end keys though.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 08:17 PM
    Yeah now that I have everything loaded up and matched to my Passport I'm not seeing any lag at all. Everything seems to be running really nice. It's not as quick as the Passport but it's not really slow either. The tool belt is a nice addition as well even though it's not really needed with the gestures. Do like the call and end keys though.

Posted via CB10
    Does it feel as premium as the passport does? Build quality on the passport is really nice. I recall the classic feeling really nice on the hand too and premium materials but dont remember if it felt and looked as premium.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 12:05 AM
    I haven't, but I'm sure about one thing. If you go Passport, you'll destroy your chances to be a happy BlackBerry user in the long run, because I think this is happening for most people buying the Passport:

Stage 1: "What a beast! Awesome! Super fast! Unique! Love it!"

Stage 2: "I wish, I had 4 row keyboards."

Stage 3: "I wish, I had trackpad."

Stage 4: "The phone is still nice, but I'm tired of that size." This is the PROBLEM 1 in the long run.

Stage 5: "I want a new phone, that is more portable, but it still has to be a BlackBerry" and here is the PROBLEM 2, because if you go from Passport to another BlackBerry, it will be a huge downgrade.

Conclusion: Passport will destroy your relationsship to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 03:17 AM
    I haven't, but I'm sure about one thing. If you go Passport, you'll destroy your chances to be a happy BlackBerry user in the long run, because I think this is happening for most people buying the Passport:

Stage 1: "What a beast! Awesome! Super fast! Unique! Love it!"

Stage 2: "I wish, I had 4 row keyboards."

Stage 3: "I wish, I had trackpad."

Stage 4: "The phone is still nice, but I'm tired of that size." This is the PROBLEM 1 in the long run.

Stage 5: "I want a new phone, that is more portable, but it still has to be a BlackBerry" and here is the PROBLEM 2, because if you go from Passport to another BlackBerry, it will be a huge downgrade.

Conclusion: Passport will destroy your relationsship to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    That's a lot of assumptions.

#2: Passport users enjoy the on-screen numbers and punctuation marks. They are easy to access, don't have to use the Alt key.
    As long as the OS deems necessary to present the number row, it is displayed on-screen for the duration of your typing. In essence, you no longer have a 3-row keyboard, but actually 7 rows readily available.

#4: There's a track pad. The entire physical keyboard is a track pad.

I will give you the size dilemma. It can be awkward in certain instances. Like many on this forum, I have both, along with the IP6+ and the Note 4. After a couple days with the PP, I don't enjoy typing on the Classic now. That's totally personal preference. The wide screen makes it so enjoyable to read PDF, xls, etc. The speed and battery life make the PP extremely productive.

One last thing, whether I carry the PP or the Classic on a given day, they both exude class and professionalism.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 04-08-15 at 05:29 AM.
    04-08-15 04:41 AM
    Does it feel as premium as the passport does? Build quality on the passport is really nice. I recall the classic feeling really nice on the hand too and premium materials but dont remember if it felt and looked as premium.

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion the Passport seems to be a bit better,however the Classic is very good as well. The classic feels really good in the hand. Both are excellent quality.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 06:38 AM
    #4: There's a track pad. The entire physical keyboard is a track pad.
    I do not completely agree with the comparison of the PP capacitive keyboard as a "trackpad". I've had the PP for 4 months and now switched to Classic. In the Classic, with the trackpad you can navigate on screen almost "everything". With the PP... just some specific functions and limited in many ways than Classic

From my Classic
    sakissalonika likes this.
    04-08-15 06:54 AM
    I do not completely agree with the comparison of the PP capacitive keyboard as a "trackpad". I've had the PP for 4 months and now switched to Classic. In the Classic, with the trackpad you can navigate on screen almost "everything". With the PP... just some specific functions and limited in many ways than Classic

From my Classic
    Out of curiosity, I wonder what functionalities are you missing with the PP's touchpad besides using it as the Enter key by pressing it. (The PP does not do that.) Would you elaborate? The PP's touchpad scrolls in all directions, in all screen presentations that require scrolling. It facilitates the selection of text for cut/copy. It supports word flick-to-type, swipe-to-delete, fine cursor control. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
    04-08-15 07:06 AM
    I haven't used a Passport before (except when clearing immigration) however I imagine the device was designed to watch videos and listen to music.
    I have had all three, and I think Z30 beats both Passport and Classic in the video and music departments. Video formats will fit the screen better (larger) on the the Z30 in the landscape mode, and the Z30 stereo speakers are also just amazing!
    chinmay007 likes this.
    04-08-15 07:06 AM
    I sold my Classic mainly because of its poor quality (screen gaps and light bleed, as well as the matt stainless band). I also have a Passport. I believe Passport is of a much higher quality and a more premium device.
    04-08-15 07:11 AM
    I have had all three, and I think Z30 beats both Passport and Classic in the video and music departments. Video formats will fit the screen better (larger) on the the Z30 in the landscape mode, and the Z30 stereo speakers are also just amazing!
    I agree that the Z30 is a awfully nice multimedia device.
    04-08-15 08:02 AM
    Yeah if the unlocked Z30 could get LTE on ATT I would likely still be using one. Shame they didn't put all the band in that one. It's a great device as well.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Classic
    quangtran1 likes this.
    04-08-15 08:26 AM
84 123 ...