I have both, the Classic and Passport. As of today, I used both phones as my daily drivers for about three months each. Passport first for a bit more than two months, than Classic for almost three months and right now back to the Passport since almost two weeks.

To tell you the truth, I can't tell which one is better. Both are so unique in their very own respects. When I use the Passport, I often miss the Classic. Yet when I use the Classic, I miss aspects of the Passport. It's a true (first world) dilemma.

From my perspective, the Classic excels in keyboard, portability and the "BlackBerry experience". For me, typing on the Classic simply is more enjoyable and less tiring than it is on the Passport. The lesser width makes it easier to hold and carry in some pockets, yet I have to say I don't really have too much trouble with the Passport's size at all. Last but not least the Classic really feels like a true BlackBerry, it really credits the name and it does the marketing full justice.

Now the Passport. It is a true powerhouse in many aspects. Battery performance, screen estate and uniqueness. With the Passport at hand, I don't need to worry about battery anymore. Most of the time I get two days from a single charge, leaving for work with only 50% of juice left isn't much of a problem. The screen is amazing, from simply navigating around BB10 to consuming content on the web or within documents, that huge 1:1 display really is a class of its own in every respect. It also gives that pretty unique look to the Passport: There are larger phones out there for sure, yet the odd, almost square like wide appearance of the Passport really turns heads and make people go wow. That rather compact three row keyboard adds to the overall impression.

In daily use I'd say the perfect device for my needs would be an AT&T styled Passport with a four row keyboard. I really do type fast on my devices and usually skip all those modern helpers like autocorrect and the like. The Classic with the 4-row keyboard gives much more direct control about typing than the Passport, due to the fact it has all hardware keys.
    The Passport's virtual row often seem to be lagging behind my typing. Especially the shift key, almost every third word needs correction because two letters in a row got capitalised. It appears to me the software just isn't fast enough for my input, never had such a problem with any full hardware design. If that very issue would be fixed completely, I'd be much, MUCH happier with the Passport.
    I also disagree with the statements regarding the trackpad and Passport keyboard scrolling. Doing the latter is really nice, yet when it comes to selecting text, the trackpad is simply much more precise than the capacitive keyboard, something which has already stated in multiple reviews. Also that keyboard doesn't function as a trackpad at all, navigating around the OS? Selecting certain items? Mouse cursor in browser? Not with the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    BBGary, jas1978, gmsm and 4 others like this.
    04-08-15 07:03 PM
    I prefer the Classic over Passport because the Classic's size/holster access, four row keyboard, and toolbelt/trackpad. I miss having the Passport and the Classic at the same time, but decided the use of the money would be better experienced in a different ecosystem/device type.
    04-08-15 08:27 PM
    I did, for the sole reason of size. Passport is valid truly big. Needs two hand for proper use, no alternative . So after 3 months of rigorous use I switched to classic. Mostly happy as I can manage lots of. Things single handedly. Don't really miss the large screen. And trackpad is awesome. Specially websites where the side menu pops out on just taking the cursor over it. No need to click it. Just like a desktop browser.

Posted via CB10
    Melinium likes this.
    04-09-15 09:03 AM
    The form factor had a major role in my desicion. And i didnt regret my choice one day. Really happy with the classic

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 10:12 AM
    Me too. Sold my passport and bought Classic

Form size and main enjoyable factor: keyboard.

From my Classic
    04-09-15 11:16 AM
    My first BlackBerry was 9700 and since then I have used all OS7 and BB10 devices.
    Passport - was build to support "Work Wide" concept, but not too much "User Friendly" concept when compared to Classic. I am using both at the same time and can't really tell the difference, except when I need to start a phone call or answer one. I am always trying to find that button on Passport.
    When working with emails Passport makes it easier to read one and Classic makes the writing faster and more accurate (well, at least for me).
    The only Android app I am using is Shazam and it works fine for me.
    So, my answer to OP will be that I am going to Classic because of "BlackBerry User Friendly" features only.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 11:58 AM
    Thank you for your responses everyone. I dont really use many android apps besides google maps from snap and that probably works fine on the classic. I dont really make full use of the 3gb of ram either I rarely have more than two apps open at once and I always clear my active frames. Definitely love the form factor of the classic, but same time love the uniqueness of the passport. Im typing this from the passport and I am surprised how fast I have become at typing from this thing. It can give you a hand strain after a while though.

Just to clarify, has anyone ever used google maps on the classic?

Posted via International Passport
    04-09-15 01:38 PM
    Another interesting thing which really impressed me with the passport is how fast it does operate some android apps. I use IP cam viewer for work and my buddy has the same app for his iphone 6. The apk on the passport works way way faster than his native iphone app. Hes app takes forever to open and to change from camera to camera and all the cameras show "loading" for a while before they even open. On my passport its like a snap of the fingers. And its not just hes iphone another buddy has the same app and its slow on his too. My android instagram app which I rarely use even works faster than the native iphone instagram app on my buddies phones. How is that even possible. What happened to iphones b.s high geekbench scores. They sure dont show up much in regular use.

Xenolock likes this.
    04-09-15 01:45 PM
    I have both, the Classic and Passport. As of today, I used both phones as my daily drivers for about three months each. Passport first for a bit more than two months, than Classic for almost three months and right now back to the Passport since almost two weeks.

To tell you the truth, I can't tell which one is better. Both are so unique in their very own respects. When I use the Passport, I often miss the Classic. Yet when I use the Classic, I miss aspects of the Passport. It's a true (first world) dilemma.

From my perspective, the Classic excels in keyboard, portability and the "BlackBerry experience". For me, typing on the Classic simply is more enjoyable and less tiring than it is on the Passport. The lesser width makes it easier to hold and carry in some pockets, yet I have to say I don't really have too much trouble with the Passport's size at all. Last but not least the Classic really feels like a true BlackBerry, it really credits the name and it does the marketing full justice.

Now the Passport. It is a true powerhouse in many aspects. Battery performance, screen estate and uniqueness. With the Passport at hand, I don't need to worry about battery anymore. Most of the time I get two days from a single charge, leaving for work with only 50% of juice left isn't much of a problem. The screen is amazing, from simply navigating around BB10 to consuming content on the web or within documents, that huge 1:1 display really is a class of its own in every respect. It also gives that pretty unique look to the Passport: There are larger phones out there for sure, yet the odd, almost square like wide appearance of the Passport really turns heads and make people go wow. That rather compact three row keyboard adds to the overall impression.

In daily use I'd say the perfect device for my needs would be an AT&T styled Passport with a four row keyboard. I really do type fast on my devices and usually skip all those modern helpers like autocorrect and the like. The Classic with the 4-row keyboard gives much more direct control about typing than the Passport, due to the fact it has all hardware keys.
    The Passport's virtual row often seem to be lagging behind my typing. Especially the shift key, almost every third word needs correction because two letters in a row got capitalised. It appears to me the software just isn't fast enough for my input, never had such a problem with any full hardware design. If that very issue would be fixed completely, I'd be much, MUCH happier with the Passport.
    I also disagree with the statements regarding the trackpad and Passport keyboard scrolling. Doing the latter is really nice, yet when it comes to selecting text, the trackpad is simply much more precise than the capacitive keyboard, something which has already stated in multiple reviews. Also that keyboard doesn't function as a trackpad at all, navigating around the OS? Selecting certain items? Mouse cursor in browser? Not with the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. This is all what you have to know about the differences between Classic and Passport if you don't know which one to buy.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-15 05:02 AM
    I did. For one handed usage as I walk and drink/smoke. And of course for text selection/editing and copy/cut-pasting as the pop-ups are rather finicky, and there are still no keyboard shortcuts this long after BB10's introduction. Shortsighted BlackBerry.

Who here has switched from passport to the classic and why?-img_20150411_225918.png
    04-11-15 03:59 PM
    I do not completely agree with the comparison of the PP capacitive keyboard as a "trackpad". I've had the PP for 4 months and now switched to Classic. In the Classic, with the trackpad you can navigate on screen almost "everything". With the PP... just some specific functions and limited in many ways than Classic

From my Classic
    100% agree

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 02:35 AM
    Im still wondering how noticeable the speed will be and how much of a "downgrade" it will feel for me.

04-12-15 08:15 PM
    Im still wondering how noticeable the speed will be and how much of a "downgrade" it will feel for me.

I don't think you'll feel it as a "downgrade". It's just "different". Browsing is different, viewing documents is different, making/answering phone calls is different, typing is different.

- Using the phone for voice calls: I find it simply more comfortable, and "normal" with the size of the Classic. I get a lot of stares when people see me holding this square humongous slab to my ear. That said, the dual speakers of the Passport are tremendous on speakerphone vs the single speaker of the Classic.

- Browsing and document viewing: Without reservation, I can say the larger screen of the PP is just better.

- Battery: You may or may not miss the duration of the larger PP battery, depending on your own daily habits.

- Multitasking: I find the most understated by-product of the PP wide screen is its capability of showing all 8 backgrounded apps on one screen. It's just more efficient for me not having to scroll down to look for the other 4 apps. The first 4 apps in BB10 stay active and are not automatically closed; I use those 4 slots for apps that I need opened at all time. The last 4 rotate as you access them. On the Classic, you'd have to scroll down to access them; on the PP, they're on the same screen as the first 4.

- Typing/Copy & Paste: I didn't like the small keys on the Classic at first (although I enjoyed my Bold 9930), but now I don't mind. I can't think of anything I can do on the Classic that I can't do on the PP as far as text selection, copying & pasting. They're both efficient and easily accessible. I prefer the PP's keyboard and its built-in touchpad. It's more fluid and does a little more. I find it interesting that many here disagreed with me about this point... until they actually use the PP's keyboard to its full potential. You can enter numbers and punctuation marks using the physical keyboard on the PP, as you do on the Classic. Here's one interesting thing I feel about the PP's touchpad vs the Classic's trackpad. When I'm browsing the web, Facebook, or anything with clickable links, the PP's touchpad simply fluidly scrolls as my finger dictates. On the Classic, the trackpad tends to stop and highlight those clickable links as I scroll, and for myself, I find that very distracting. I don't need the device to highlight any link; when I scroll, I just want to scroll. My train of thoughts can get sidetracked on those blue unintended links.

All in all, I do like them both. I acquired each device when each became available at the Verizon & AT&T stores. These are simply my opinions. I don't wish to debate the merits of these things; they're what they are. I would suggest not getting rid of your PP just yet; rather, play with the Classic for a couple weeks and see if you can live with the shorter battery life. To be honest, I'm always on the latest leak anyway (on 10.3.2.281 on day one it was leaked a couple weeks ago), I do not ever experience lagginess, double-typing, or short battery life. I don't experience that the Classic is that much slower than the PP. The only time that it's slower is when you load an app the very first time. That's why those 8 backgrounded apps are important to me. I have FB, Assistant, CB, eBay, and a checkbook program running at all time. That eliminates the so-perceived lag on the Classic; that puts the PP and the Classic on the same level of responsiveness.
    Last edited by quangtran1; 04-13-15 at 09:29 AM.
    nglfmark, tlgem and BillyBreathes like this.
    04-12-15 09:30 PM
    I was a happy Q10 owner(and former Bold owner) for a year and a half and planned on upgrading to the Classic eventually. then the whole shopbb coupon code thing happened with the Passport when it came out and I was able to grab one for $450. so I've been using the passport since October and I love it, but I've also never gotten over the Classic and my draw to it. finally saw one in person and handled it at work yesterday and that was it. I bought one off ebay last night for $295 and listed my Passport on ebay today. I know i'll miss a lot about the passport, but there's so much I love about the Classic. it's a modern take on what I've always loved about BlackBerry. I'm essentially going back to my Q10 with a bigger/better screen, bigger battery, and a toolbelt. not to mention the rubberized Z10 back I always wished my Q10 and Passport had. Passport is so slippery without a case it's awful. Classic is so grippy and feels so amazing in hand. can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 07:11 PM
    I'm essentially going back to my Q10 with a bigger/better screen, bigger battery, and a toolbelt. not to mention the rubberized Z10 back I always wished my Q10 and Passport had.
    Interesting, I thought the Q10 had the best grip because of that nice glass weave back. I found the Classic's plasticy back the most slippery of all the devices mentioned!
    04-19-15 07:18 PM
    Interesting, I thought the Q10 had the best grip because of that nice glass weave back. I found the Classic's plasticy back the most slippery of all the devices mentioned!
    Yeah, true PP feels sliperry but Classic feels cheap plastic compared even with my previous Z30 back.

With the Classic, beauty comes from the front not in the back.

From my Classic
    04-19-15 08:35 PM
    I also like the woven-glass backs of Q10 and Z30 the most - looked and felt great, offered very good grip. I prefer the back of the Classic over that of the Passport however, especially because the Passport seem to be extremely prone to fingerprints and lint.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-15 03:54 AM
    I bought a Classic to see if the smaller form factor would be more convenient and if I'd like the smaller keyboard. To be clear: I've owned the Passport since launch and have no complaints about it (other than the one mentioned below), but the toolbelt and smaller size of the Classic has been calling me to at least try it.

So far, so good.

It is amazing how quick the muscle memory comes back for the keystrokes, though I did feel like my typing was awkward after getting used to the much larger Passport keyboard. A couple of 10 fingers test showed my speed was the same as with the Passport (40) which I think speaks highly of the Passport. But I am confident that by the end of this week my Classic speed will eclipse the Passport as I get used to sliding the thumbs around the smaller keyboard.

All of my apps I use regularly, Waze, Passport Radar, and Bible, all work the same but one, Latasy, isn't scaled right so I'll have to find a new mp3 player that works with folders and the Kindle app won't let me zoom into magazines enough to be legible. But kindle books work fine.

The difference in speed of the apps and such was immediately noticeable, but after about 24 hours I don't notice the difference because the Classic is not a sluggish phone, it is just noticeably slower than the Passport.

The form factor is really nice. I was one of those that never thought I was going to drop the Passport while typing, I think the design naturally allows it to rest on the index fingers while typing...and I could do one handed typing except for having to really stretch to hit the "Q" and "A" keys. But the Classic keyboard is so 9900 that it is also a pleasure to use and the frets and general "clicky" feel top the Passport IMO.

The toolbelt is just plain "wow." I never knew how much I missed a button to answer and hang up the phone, or the precision and convenience of the track pad, plus the single thumb scrolling technique. The touch sensitive Passport keyboard was fine for scrolling with two hands, and ok one-handed, but the text selection accuracy was never good for me. Plus, the sensitive keyboard would throw the cursor around a little too often that it had become a regular annoyance. But man, oh man, is the Classic track pad a perfect tool for web browsing and text editing...if I can just remember it's there and stop touching the screen!

And as for the screen, it was shockingly small when I first saw it, again, compared to my Passport, but it has so far grown on me. I haven't had the chance to do a lot of reading with the Kindle or Reader mode of the browser, but the emails, texts, and the Bible app have all been very easy on my eyes.

There is one thing I don't like about the Classic: the swiping up accuracy. When I swipe up to check the Hub or minimize the app, I often end up scrolling instead of getting the swipe up read properly. Might be a finger technique issue, so I'll see if my accuracy improves.

It's been only less than a week since I switched, but I'm very positive. I think I'll be surprised if I go back to the Passport, as the Kindle and swipe up issue aren't fatal issues.
    04-20-15 12:21 PM
    I bought a Classic to see if the smaller form factor would be more convenient and if I'd like the smaller keyboard. To be clear: I've owned the Passport since launch and have no complaints about it (other than the one mentioned below), but the toolbelt and smaller size of the Classic has been calling me to at least try it.

So far, so good.

It is amazing how quick the muscle memory comes back for the keystrokes, though I did feel like my typing was awkward after getting used to the much larger Passport keyboard. A couple of 10 fingers test showed my speed was the same as with the Passport (40) which I think speaks highly of the Passport. But I am confident that by the end of this week my Classic speed will eclipse the Passport as I get used to sliding the thumbs around the smaller keyboard.

All of my apps I use regularly, Waze, Passport Radar, and Bible, all work the same but one, Latasy, isn't scaled right so I'll have to find a new mp3 player that works with folders and the Kindle app won't let me zoom into magazines enough to be legible. But kindle books work fine.

The difference in speed of the apps and such was immediately noticeable, but after about 24 hours I don't notice the difference because the Classic is not a sluggish phone, it is just noticeably slower than the Passport.

The form factor is really nice. I was one of those that never thought I was going to drop the Passport while typing, I think the design naturally allows it to rest on the index fingers while typing...and I could do one handed typing except for having to really stretch to hit the "Q" and "A" keys. But the Classic keyboard is so 9900 that it is also a pleasure to use and the frets and general "clicky" feel top the Passport IMO.

The toolbelt is just plain "wow." I never knew how much I missed a button to answer and hang up the phone, or the precision and convenience of the track pad, plus the single thumb scrolling technique. The touch sensitive Passport keyboard was fine for scrolling with two hands, and ok one-handed, but the text selection accuracy was never good for me. Plus, the sensitive keyboard would throw the cursor around a little too often that it had become a regular annoyance. But man, oh man, is the Classic track pad a perfect tool for web browsing and text editing...if I can just remember it's there and stop touching the screen!

And as for the screen, it was shockingly small when I first saw it, again, compared to my Passport, but it has so far grown on me. I haven't had the chance to do a lot of reading with the Kindle or Reader mode of the browser, but the emails, texts, and the Bible app have all been very easy on my eyes.

There is one thing I don't like about the Classic: the swiping up accuracy. When I swipe up to check the Hub or minimize the app, I often end up scrolling instead of getting the swipe up read properly. Might be a finger technique issue, so I'll see if my accuracy improves.

It's been only less than a week since I switched, but I'm very positive. I think I'll be surprised if I go back to the Passport, as the Kindle and swipe up issue aren't fatal issues.
    Thank you for the write up. Where did you mostly notice the performance difference?

04-20-15 01:51 PM
    Running apps. Waze, for example, is press for menu, wait 3-5 seconds, select navigation, wait 3-5 seconds, select destination...an so on.

Also, there is a noticeable delay for the Classic to wakeup when it's picked up, versus the Passport.

Thank you for the write up. Where did you mostly notice the performance difference?

Posted with a Classic
    Last edited by lauyerman; 04-21-15 at 03:13 PM.
    04-20-15 03:20 PM
    There is one thing I don't like about the Classic: the swiping up accuracy. When I swipe up to check the Hub or minimize the app, I often end up scrolling instead of getting the swipe up read properly.
    I have noticed that the swiping gestures aren't as nice on the Classic as on the touch-screen BlackBerries. I expect this to improve with further OS updates.

Apart from occasionally doing the Peek gesture, I don't even really use touchscreen gestures. End minimizes, Back closes an app, End exits the Hub just how you left it, and quickly swiping left or right across the trackpad can get you into the Hub or to app pages. Menu key is great for any menus, and the trackpad does everything else. I find that using the toolbelt is almost as fast as gestures and more accurate. Plus, you never need to adjust your grip when navigating with the toolbelt.

From a Classic
    lauyerman likes this.
    04-20-15 03:51 PM
    I also switch back and forth every couple weeks. I can't tell which is better. What I hate about the Classic, the Passport delivers. What I hate about Passport, the Classic delivers. I enjoy them both equally and if I had to pick one only one, I would give a slight nudge to the Passport due to the awesome battery life, which is important to me.
    04-20-15 03:58 PM
    ...End minimizes...and quickly swiping left or right across the trackpad can get you into the Hub or to app pages
    Thanks for the tips!
    04-20-15 05:06 PM
    Except don't use End key to minimize when on a call, or it brings up the phone app. Definitely stick to up-swipe in that situation.

From a Classic
    04-20-15 06:01 PM
    I have noticed that the swiping gestures aren't as nice on the Classic as on the touch-screen BlackBerries. I expect this to improve with further OS updates.
    That was an issue for me when I had my Classic. I don't think it's a software problem. I think the location of the Trackpad is right in the way of the swipe up gesture. I tried to swipe up from a different location next to it, but it was unnatural and I couldn't get used to it.
    04-20-15 07:29 PM
84 1234