Surely the Q20 already exists, at least on paper if there aren't beta phones out there being tested. I'm impressed BB has kept this under wraps. I wanna see a picture!
    03-07-14 10:18 PM
    me too

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 08:44 AM
    At MWC, it sounded to me like they just made the decision. If JC had been on the job for 3 months and spent time learning about smartphones and listening to customers then they couldn't have made the decision much more than a month ago. I would imagine that design would take months. Someone has to figure out if the screen will be square like they speculated on the Crackberry podcast. And if so, then how are they going to get Android emulation working on a square screen. It's a fairly significant software and hardware redesign and I'm not sure that they could do it in a year from the time that you make the decision.
    03-08-14 08:53 AM
    At MWC, it sounded to me like they just made the decision. If JC had been on the job for 3 months and spent time learning about smartphones and listening to customers then they couldn't have made the decision much more than a month ago. I would imagine that design would take months. Someone has to figure out if the screen will be square like they speculated on the Crackberry podcast. And if so, then how are they going to get Android emulation working on a square screen. It's a fairly significant software and hardware redesign and I'm not sure that they could do it in a year from the time that you make the decision.
    What? That's software. They have the same issues to deal with for the Q10 and Q5. I see no reason why the Q20 should take more than a year's gestation. Hopefully we get some news in the spring, and it gets released in the summer.
    03-08-14 03:03 PM
    Maybe Chen told his staff heads will roll if anything leaks... followed by a disarming joke and that affable laugh.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 03:08 PM
    What? That's software. They have the same issues to deal with for the Q10 and Q5. I see no reason why the Q20 should take more than a year's gestation. Hopefully we get some news in the spring, and it gets released in the summer.
    I agree with that, it shouldn't take a year to launch it.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    03-08-14 03:09 PM
    They are saying turn around with new devices will be faster. We'll see.
    03-08-14 04:46 PM
    JC, in recent Bloomberg interview, was saying that he wanted the Q20 out yesterday, but recognized that he had to satisfy the 9900 customers (his words).
    I saw a similar article wherein he was saying similar things such as restoring the classic functionalities and UI on the BB10 platform takes a longer time.
    I do not think the hardware would take much longer time even with the addition of the "tool belt". Look at the Jakarta. It was out fast.
    To me, the classic functionalities/UI is more important than the tool belt. If I hd to choose between the two, I would pick those "little moments of delight", including the "real" keyboard shortcuts etc. PIM functions were also organically integrated too.
    Sounds like he has a complete grasp of the past issues, and very eager to show what he is doing now. Very encouraging.

He has been getting earful of whining from the enterprise clients anyway :-)
    03-08-14 06:45 PM
    JC, in recent Bloomberg interview, was saying that he wanted the Q20 out yesterday, but recognized that he had to satisfy the 9900 customers (his words).
    I saw a similar article wherein he was saying similar things such as restoring the classic functionalities and UI on the BB10 platform takes a longer time.
    I do not think the hardware would take much longer time even with the addition of the "tool belt". Look at the Jakarta. It was out fast.
    To me, the classic functionalities/UI is more important than the tool belt. If I hd to choose between the two, I would pick those "little moments of delight", including the "real" keyboard shortcuts etc. PIM functions were also organically integrated too.
    Sounds like he has a complete grasp of the past issues, and very eager to show what he is doing now. Very encouraging.

He has been getting earful of whining from the enterprise clients anyway :-)
    Legacy features are imperative to BB10. No matter how much we love BBRY there was no excuse to release your hardware keyboard device without ability to assign keys to contact's phone numbers. It took them a year to get that working properly. And this is just one example.
    03-09-14 01:06 PM
    It may have something to do with the fact that most of those legacy coders are now gone.
    Legacy features are imperative to BB10. No matter how much we love BBRY there was no excuse to release your hardware keyboard device without ability to assign keys to contact's phone numbers. It took them a year to get that working properly. And this is just one example.
    03-09-14 01:39 PM
    From the pictures or renderings so far that I've seen of the Q20, I am beginning to think the screen size will be only slightly bigger than the Q10 - much the same as the Q10 screen was only slight bigger than my 9900. At least that's what it looks like to me. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
    03-11-14 03:17 PM
    From the pictures or renderings so far that I've seen of the Q20, I am beginning to think the screen size will be only slightly bigger than the Q10 - much the same as the Q10 screen was only slight bigger than my 9900. At least that's what it looks like to me. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
    First, all renders of the Q20 mean little to nothing. Wait until an official photo is out. Second, screen size on Q10 is 3.1" and the original Q20 announcement says the screen size will be 3.5". So yes, slightly larger screen size.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    03-11-14 05:52 PM
    A 3.5" diagonal screen versus the Q10's 3.1" is about 7mm wider and taller screen.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-12-14 01:18 AM
    Going from a BlackBerry Bold 9900 to a BlackBerry Q10 there is a noticeable step up in screen size... if you don't think so try playing with your 9900 again. I think that it will be just as noticeable of a jump going 3.1 - 3.5

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 03:36 AM
    First, all renders of the Q20 mean little to nothing. Wait until an official photo is out. Second, screen size on Q10 is 3.1" and the original Q20 announcement says the screen size will be 3.5". So yes, slightly larger screen size.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    Quite right - I'm saying from what I've seen and I realize it's not an official photo - however I was disappointed with the size of the Q10 coming from the 9900 and I am saying I hope this will not be the same situation again.
    Last edited by BGK; 03-12-14 at 06:56 PM. Reason: wording
    03-12-14 10:26 AM
    A 3.5" diagonal screen versus the Q10's 3.1" is about 7mm wider and taller screen.

So you're saying it will be less than a cm wider and taller - I'd like more thanks.
    03-12-14 10:31 AM
    Going from a BlackBerry Bold 9900 to a BlackBerry Q10 there is a noticeable step up in screen size... if you don't think so try playing with your 9900 again. I think that it will be just as noticeable of a jump going 3.1 - 3.5

Posted via CB10
    Yes there was slight increase in size from the 9900 to the Q10 - was it impressive? Not in my opinion. Of course going back to the 9900 you would see a difference - it just did not make me say wow.
    I sincerely hope the next Q device will have a noticeably more impressive screen (my Z10 's screen I love - yes I know attaching a keyboard to that would be impractical)
    Bure03 likes this.
    03-12-14 10:44 AM
    Going from my 9930 to the Q10 was a noticeably bigger screen. Moving up from the Q10 to the Q20 will most likely be the same experience. 3.5" diag will be a nice size. Please dont turn this thing into a multimedia phablet. Those are already out on the market. Keep it as an optimum size professional messaging device with adequate display size without being a phablet. Tnx, Wolf
    xanadome likes this.
    03-12-14 11:15 AM
    Yes there was slight increase in size from the 9900 to the Q10 - was it impressive? Not in my opinion. Of course going back to the 9900 you would see a difference - it just did not make me say wow.
    I sincerely hope the next Q device will have a noticeably more impressive screen (my Z10 's screen I love - yes I know attaching a keyboard to that would be impractical)
    If you want a big screen, get a Note... I for one don't want the device to become unwieldy and a keyboard that is too wide is actually harder to type on since it'll take more effort and time from key to key...

xanadome likes this.
    03-12-14 02:48 PM
    If you want a big screen, get a Note... I for one don't want the device to become unwieldy and a keyboard that is too wide is actually harder to type on since it'll take more effort and time from key to key...

Or better yet stick to the Z series devices if you want a bigger screen. I for one have sacrificed the physical keyboard for screen real estate. No regrets! But I do agree if the keyboard gets too big it works against you.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    xanadome likes this.
    03-12-14 02:52 PM

I respect your opinion and what you feel you'd like in a future Q - and if I wanted a Note I wouldn't be on this site. I was merely stating my thoughts and impressions of what I have had, currently own and what I would like to see in a future BlackBerry Q - I'm not in any way trying to force my opinion on you...... so don't get your shorts in a knot.
    03-12-14 06:54 PM
    Or better yet stick to the Z series devices if you want a bigger screen. I for one have sacrificed the physical keyboard for screen real estate. No regrets! But I do agree if the keyboard gets too big it works against you.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    I have both the Z10 and the Q10 and love them both.
    03-12-14 06:59 PM
    The answer is because BB's marketing in the past revealed products to early and consumers no longer wanted to wait.. the whole alicia keys marketing and then the product didn't launch for a long time resulted in consumers getting flustered and disappointed. Chen is smart and wants people to buy the product at the peak of the consumers burning desire to own a new BlackBerry Q20.

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes"
    03-13-14 01:55 PM
    So you're saying it will be less than a cm wider and taller - I'd like more thanks.
    I'd like less.

So you see, BlackBerry has to compromise between the people who want a phone and the people who want a mini laptop computer. I'd say they're doing a fair job going with a 3" to 3.5" screen.
    Johberry likes this.
    03-13-14 07:19 PM
    The answer is because BB's marketing in the past revealed products to early and consumers no longer wanted to wait.. the whole alicia keys marketing and then the product didn't launch for a long time resulted in consumers getting flustered and disappointed. Chen is smart and wants people to buy the product at the peak of the consumers burning desire to own a new BlackBerry Q20.

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes"
    As much as I want to see leaked images of this phone, you're right about BlackBerry blowing their reveal 9 months too early in the past. I'd rather the Q20 have some apple-like buzz, rather than the same old "what? that year old phone hasn't even been released yet?!".

Posted via CB10
    Johberry likes this.
    03-14-14 10:40 AM
31 12