Bingo! Waited 'til midnight UK time ( because I was up anyway working, not because What'sApp is so important ) ; plus when I got up in the morning, I sent some nay Sayers messages to advise them that I'm still in business on the BlackBerry Passport ! Get in!

Regardless of whether it peters out slowly, glad I didn't brick my BlackBerry Passport with Android bloatware, just to get this sad *** instant messenger, that pales in comparison to  BBM or WeChat ).

May the os10 be with you …
    I've posted WhatsApp timeline see previous.
    ARQ-Keighley likes this.
    01-01-18 08:29 AM
    No, you'll have to install the Android version.

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

After that download and run this app,

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/60005088
    Do you have to delete the Original WhatsApp first, before downloading the above?

If not, does each conversation in whasapp carry on as normal, or is a new conversation created under the android app?
    01-03-18 01:48 PM
    Is whatsapp working on the classic anymore
    01-03-18 08:37 PM
    Once you download the Android version, the BB10 version will no longer work. Conversations won't carry over.
    01-03-18 11:46 PM
    Once you download the Android version, the BB10 version will no longer work. Conversations won't carry over.
    The BB10 version will stop working anyway in a few days, while it still works you can export your conversations and import them into the Android version.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13107190
    01-04-18 12:20 AM
    I am pretty sure it - Android apk - will work until 12/31/2019.

Posted via CB10
    There is another post from a WhatsApp developer where he makes the statement that the Android versions available ARE NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED and could stop working AT ANY TIME.
    01-04-18 08:59 AM
    No, you'll have to install the Android version.

https://www.whatsapp.com/android/

After that download and run this app,

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/60005088
    Let's be clear. This is the Android version, which is NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED and may NOT continue to function.

If you MUST have WhatsApp, the only really safe option is to get a TRUE ANDROID phone and a supported version of WhatsApp. (I think it's likely available on IOS as well).
    01-04-18 09:07 AM
    Do you have to delete the Original WhatsApp first, before downloading the above?

If not, does each conversation in whasapp carry on as normal, or is a new conversation created under the android app?
    You don't have to delete the original but you'll have to create an Android backup if you want to transfer your conversations over.

Let's be clear. This is the Android version, which is NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED and may NOT continue to function.

If you MUST have WhatsApp, the only really safe option is to get a TRUE ANDROID phone and a supported version of WhatsApp. (I think it's likely available on IOS as well).
    Of course, you're installing an app through unknown sources so it's basically a given that's it not officially supported.

The installer warns you of that to some extent as well, everyone reads that part, right?
    01-04-18 09:43 AM
    You don't have to delete the original but you'll have to create an Android backup if you want to transfer your conversations over.

Of course, you're installing an app through unknown sources so it's basically a given that's it not officially supported.

The installer warns you of that to some extent as well, everyone reads that part, right?
    Don't you have to into settings and then allow download apps from unknown sources too? Just in case you missed all the other warnings?
    01-04-18 09:53 AM
    Don't you have to into settings and then allow download apps from unknown sources too? Just in case you missed all the other warnings?
    Yup but if you try to install an Android app with unknown sources disabled it basically sends you directly to that settings screen. The two screens you'll see at minimum will still give you enough warning about the risks of installing something outside of BB World and Amazon though.
    01-04-18 09:57 AM
    There is another post from a WhatsApp developer where he makes the statement that the Android versions available ARE NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED and could stop working AT ANY TIME.
    So what? Google Play Market is not officially supported on BB10, but it still works great. If a piece of software is written well, there are little chances it will break. No guarantees and no work - there's a difference.

And that respected dev wrote all true. I myself would have written the same, if I were him, - no guarantees, guys, please, use that stuff at your own risk.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-18 10:03 AM
    So what? Google Play Market is not officially supported on BB10, but it still works great. If a piece of software is written well, there are little chances it will break. No guarantees and no work - there's a difference.

And that respected dev wrote all true. I myself would have written the same, if I were him, - no guarantees, guys, please, use that stuff at your own risk.

Posted via CB10
    The difference being WhatsApp is broken "out of the box" on BB10, you need to do a symlink for basic functionality to work (and some things are still broken). WhatsApp is also a very tightly controlled app, all builds on all platforms expire after X months from release. Unlike other apps where you can theoretically stay on an older build for years without issue, on WhatsApp you'll always be limited by their timer.

If WhatsApp is important then the Android version on BB10 is at best a "stopgap" while you upgrade to a new device, it certainly shouldn't be relied on for longterm use.
    01-04-18 10:10 AM
    The difference being WhatsApp is broken "out of the box" on BB10, you need to do a symlink for basic functionality to work (and some things are still broken). WhatsApp is also a very tightly controlled app, all builds on all platforms expire after X months from release. Unlike other apps where you can theoretically stay on an older build for years without issue, on WhatsApp you'll always be limited by their timer.

If WhatsApp is important then the Android version on BB10 is at best a "stopgap" while you upgrade to a new device, it certainly shouldn't be relied on for longterm use.
    WA is distributed through the official site as an APK. That means that GPS are not to be used at almost 100%. This is an example of a good piece of news. Please, stop that hysteria. Just let some individuals continue to use their BB10 devices as long as they can. There are a few guys on this forum who consistently promote BBAndroid. Are you one of them?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by arfeo; 01-04-18 at 10:36 AM.
    01-04-18 10:25 AM
    Double post.
    01-04-18 10:35 AM
    WA is distributed through the official site as an APK. That means that no GPS are not to be used at almost 100%. This is an example of a good piece of news. Please, stop that hysteria. Just let some individuals continue to use their BB10 devices as long as they can. There are a few guys on this forum who consistently promote BBAndroid. Are you one of them?

Posted via CB10
    I know this comment was aimed at someone else, but I have been accused before of being "alarmist".

So, we are not trying to spread alarm / hysteria.

We are just trying to warn people that their applications may stop working and they will be STUCK.

And, since when is it a crime to promote BBAndroid?
    It has worked well for me personally. Before I jumped to BBAndroid, however, I made a CONCERTED effort to remain with BB10 - however, there was an app that I viewed as critical to my work that I was just UNABLE to get to work under BB10.

It's not like we are heretics or anything - if we're promoting BBAndroid then it at least means that we are STILL SUPPORTING BB by buying their products!

I could have gone to a Samsung or Apple.
    anon(9803228) and vincentkong like this.
    01-04-18 10:36 AM
    WA is distributed through the official site as an APK. That means that no GPS are not to be used at almost 100%. This is an example of a good piece of news. Please, stop that hysteria. Just let some individuals continue to use their BB10 devices as long as they can. There are a few guys on this forum who consistently promote BBAndroid. Are you one of them?

Posted via CB10
    I promote BBAndroid. I don't care about BB10 anymore.

I also do not depend on WhatsApp like so many others do because I live in the USA and WhatsApp is redundant since MMS and SMS is basically free and unlimited within my carrier plan.

I'm warning people that DEPEND on the app more than just an outdated almost EOL phone and OS.

I have family in Peru. I actually used WhatsApp for the first time since Christmas so Mom could make sure all family OK down there. Last time I used the app was family there checking on us here due to hurricane back in September.

I can see where people depend on it. Warning them and letting them know a backup plan may be needed is more important than defending old hobby technology.
    glwerry and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-04-18 10:38 AM
    WA is distributed through the official site as an APK. That means that GPS are not to be used at almost 100%. This is an example of a good piece of news. Please, stop that hysteria. Just let some individuals continue to use their BB10 devices as long as they can. There are a few guys on this forum who consistently promote BBAndroid. Are you one of them?

Posted via CB10
    It has nothing to do with Google Play Services, it has everything to do with the Android runtime in BB10. This is why you can't send files without the symlink and why, even after the link, you still can't send videos over 16 MB in size or update your Status.

Unless you need a physical keyboard or root protection I don't think I'd ever recommend BB Android, regular Android from a good OEM provides a better deal in that case.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-04-18 11:29 AM
    It has nothing to do with Google Play Services, it has everything to do with the Android runtime in BB10. This is why you can't send files without the symlink and why, even after the link, you still can't send videos over 16 MB in size or update your Status.

Unless you need a physical keyboard or root protection I don't think I'd ever recommend BB Android, regular Android from a good OEM provides a better deal in that case.
    The patch for sending media already exists. Other functions are unlikely to stop working in a year or two - that was my initial statement. What are we arguing about?..

Posted via CB10
    01-04-18 11:37 AM
    The patch for sending media already exists. Other functions are unlikely to stop working in a year or two - that was my initial statement. What are we arguing about?..

Posted via CB10
    You're claiming this is hysteria but realistically, if features aren't working today then it's plausible that more could break in the future. If you're a heavy user or you run a business that relies on WhatsApp, BB10 is simply no longer a viable longterm platform for you. Otherwise, BB10 is a great OS and you can continue using it. It's no longer my daily driver but I still prefer it to this day over any other platform,
    01-04-18 11:57 AM
    If WhatsApp is a critical function, then BB10 is a bad choice.
    Don't poison optimism.

Regarding the very good price a classic IS a good choice!

What you will risk? Maybe only two year's function of Whatsapp? You mean 80 or less buck's for a handheld?

If you said that about a phone that costs a few 100 bucks or maybe iPhone X price, ... but ... about a phone for the price of some pizzas? :-)

Come on!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-18 02:41 AM
    I am newbie-
    and do not understand anything yet-
    01-06-18 02:51 AM
    This is an example of a good piece of news. Please, stop that hysteria. Just let some individuals continue to use their BB10 devices as long as they can.
    Very very wise word's.

From, look exactly, a professional programmer!

Don't make marketing, make support ... CB-guys!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-18 02:54 AM

What you will risk? Maybe only two year's function of Whatsapp? You mean 80 or less buck's for a handheld?
    It could stop working at any time.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-06-18 08:39 AM
    Two weeks, two months, who knows? If money isn't an issue then I agree, there's no harm in getting a BB10 device and just using it for as long as it's useful, no matter how short that might be. But if you only have enough money for one phone and you need it to work flawlessly for at least a year then BB10 isn't an option at this stage.
    01-06-18 09:38 AM
    Who really thinks it goes only about some weeks or month's? :-)

Please, if I have to read arguments, then real arguments.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-18 03:10 PM
171 12345 ...