Hey guys,

So when a new person contacts me on WhatsApp, the contact name appears as a number - however when I then 'Add to Contacts' for that particular person, it doesn't update/refresh? Any ideas/fixes welcome!

Added this to the Classic forum as the issue is only on the Classic, I believe...

Posted via BlackBerry Classic / BBM PIN 2BF3EF46
    06-15-15 10:54 AM
    It used to happen to me. I figured, if you add this as a completely new contact, instead of updating the number to an existing contact, it works.

Also, the contacts app will automatically link this newly created contact with the existing contact of the same name.

Posted from the gorgeous Z30
    06-15-15 11:01 AM
    Ah, cool, might give that a try!
    Cheers!

Posted via BlackBerry Classic / BBM PIN 2BF3EF46
    06-15-15 12:49 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem! But it's all my contacts. I will try the method above and see but it is very frustrating!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 03:08 PM
    If you add the number to an existing contact, and that existing contact got into your address book from a "social" source (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.), then WhatsApp won't be able to read it. This is especially true in OS 10.3.1, where BlackBerry made this restriction stronger than it used to be.

Adding a completely new contact should work as expected.
    06-15-15 07:14 PM
    Adding the new contact worked for me.
    Although it's a bit annoying as I never had to do that before with previous BB handsets.

But as posted above, seems they're cracking down with security a bit more hence the reason.
    Glad it's sorted!
    06-16-15 05:24 PM
    This was a change they deliberately made in 10.3.1.

Prior to 10.3.1, if you locally added a phone number to a contact 3rd party apps couldn't see, those apps suddenly became able to see at least that phone number and the contact's display name.

In 10.3.1, the whole contact remains invisible to 3rd party apps, even after you locally edit it.

The real problem is that "visible" and "restricted" contacts look almost identical in the Contacts app, and none of these restrictions apply to any of BlackBerry's own apps. Since there aren't many 3rd party apps that actually depend on contact data, this causes a lot of "Why can't app XYZ see half my address book?!?!" confusion where its not obvious who's actually responsible for the issue.
    06-17-15 09:20 AM