I have seen several people complain about the lack of a "convince" key. Umm. What is that?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 01:58 PM
    It simply a key or button on the side of legacy BlackBerry devices. Some devices had one and some two (left/rigt&font combinations).

When you pressed the key a default function was executed e.g. opening the Calendar app. Via the settings menu you were able to reprogram the key to open other apps.

Found this old image with descriptions of the 8703. Notice the front and left convenience keys.
    https://www.google.dk/search?q=black...2F%3B449%3B621
    10-07-14 02:04 PM
    I have seen several people complain about the lack of a "convince" key. Umm. What is that?

Posted via CB10
    I believe the *convenience key can be programmed for several different "shortcuts" so you can be more efficient and productive.

*Convenience key when pressed can open up several different things:

Camera
    Contacts
    Browser
    Apps
    Calculator
    And so on..

Edit: thanks hamsterwheel lol

Posted via CB on my BlackBerry Z30
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-07-14 02:07 PM
    ^this....Used to be available in BBOS. And btw, it's called convenience key.
    ATMJOE and RafiqK like this.
    10-07-14 02:10 PM
    When you press the "convince" key I pop up from the side and get you the convincing arguments to anyone who is not using the same phone as you...

Not convinced?

Try that:

Back in BBOS days there used to be a key on the side of the phone that could do whatever you wanted it to do.

This convenience key would start recording, open the note app or do something else at the push of a button.

No need to do anything else.

Push the button and start taking notes, have it record the conversation, start a new email or something else you mainly use your phone for.

This was very convenient and made it a productivity powerhouse!

Until you had to take off the battery cover, take out the battery, put it back in and replace the cover, wait a few minutes and BAM!!!!!!

After entering your password you JUST pressed the button and there comes your calculator, timer, notepad or whatever You want it to be!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    Chrisy and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-07-14 02:13 PM
    It simply a key or button on the side of legacy BlackBerry devices. Some devices had one and some two (left/rigt&font combinations).

When you pressed the key a default function was executed e.g. opening the Calendar app. Via the settings menu you were able to reprogram the key to open other apps.

Found this old image with descriptions of the 8703. Notice the front and left convenience keys.
    https://www.google.dk/search?q=black...2F%3B449%3B621
    Should have stuck to that explanation.... )=

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-07-14 02:14 PM
    I usually program it to "Messages" for rapid email-text-etc check. Back button gets me right back to what ever app i was in when before pressing. Pretty handy to press by feel while extracting from holster and see msgs right away. 3rd party apps permitted multiple press functionality of it, and other, buttons. In my case, first press- msgs, second press- browser, third press- wifi setup... all the way to about half dozen presses if you want. Same 3rd app applied other functionality for other buttons, as well. I have two presses on "mute" key to fire up flashlight. Pretty handy for finding keys or tracing circuits in our poorly lit document room (go figure). My old 9650 had two convenience keys and i had one dedicated to flashlight.
    10-07-14 06:31 PM
    The convenience key was a way to do simple things in a split rather than 2 splits. It was also a cool thing to show friends. It's main purpose these days is for bbosers to complain more about bb10.

In reality, missing it shouldn't be a big issue for an upgrade. But hey, you can't 'convince' everybody.

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-07-14 06:33 PM
    Does the Classic have any convenience buttons?!
    10-07-14 06:34 PM
    The convenience key was a way to do simple things in a split rather than 2 splits. It was also a cool thing to show friends. It's main purpose these days is for bbosers to complain more about bb10.

In reality, missing it shouldn't be a big issue for an upgrade. But hey, you can't 'convince' everybody.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, now some competitor phones have this "just a reason to complain" convenience key, and the people love it. I had mine set to take photos, so I can hold my phone like a regular camera and take the photo with that button. So much better than how it is now with needing to push on the face of the device with a thumb... It also launched the camera app if it wasn't active. So taking a photo from the home screen is as easy as double pressing that button.

Oh well, so much for convenience...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-07-14 06:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    Back in the day, we would disable that for 90% of the users. They always complained about the camera launching "for no reason". (camera was the default action)
    10-07-14 07:57 PM
    Actually, now some competitor phones have this "just a reason to complain" convenience key, and the people love it. I had mine set to take photos, so I can hold my phone like a regular camera and take the photo with that button. So much better than how it is now with needing to push on the face of the device with a thumb... It also launched the camera app if it wasn't active. So taking a photo from the home screen is as easy as double pressing that button.

Not sure if you're referring to BB10 with the part I bolded, but on my Z10, you can use either VOL key to snap the shutter.
    10-07-14 08:00 PM
    Back in the day, we would disable that for 90% of the users. They always complained about the camera launching "for no reason". (camera was the default action)
    People also complain about accidentally touching the touchscreen while using the trackpad on the 9900, I guess I must have really good sensory-motor skills because I never had an issue with either. If they ask you what is wrong with the phone, did you answer them "user error"? I hope so, lol.

10-07-14 08:00 PM
    It's a button with a very small needle, invisible to the naked eye, that is laced with a super strong chemical that convinces you that BlackBerry is the way to go.

Once that you touch the button or make someone else do it, there is no turning back.

Key strategy to gain back our userbase, but don't tell the government
    sam81 likes this.
    10-07-14 08:07 PM

I had mine launch the music player. Like I said it was nice and I'd like it back but come on, it shouldn't be a game changer for anyone. Swipe up and tap your app. Done. Now you can program a keyboard shortcut. It's silly people are raising the torch for this.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:07 PM
    Why can't they just transform our mute/pause button into the convenience key. We even have the option to disable BlackBerry assistant from opening up when holding it, why not take it a step further.

Also we're getting keyboard shortcuts in 10.3.1, what about this key

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:31 PM
    +1000 for BB10.3.1 shortcuts!!! Any cognitive processing that can be assigned to my muscle memory "coprocessor" reduces distraction of my limited "main processor". Some of us have more surplus "main processor" capacity than others. Guess i got shortchanged.

Distractions that demand "main processor" resources are much more disruptive of creative productivity than simple number of clicks or milliseconds to operate a device might indicate. Something BB once understood. Mr. Chen has brought it back in focus with programmable shortcuts! THANK YOU MR CHEN!!!

Convenience keys are pretty easy to locate without looking. Still use mine 100x per day to check msgs. Expect that "P" will be the easiest shortcut key to find sight unseen. It's the easiest speed dial, IMO.
    10-07-14 09:17 PM
    I had mine launch the music player. Like I said it was nice and I'd like it back but come on, it shouldn't be a game changer for anyone. Swipe up and tap your app. Done. Now you can program a keyboard shortcut. It's silly people are raising the torch for this.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not raising a torch for anything, I have a Q10 and most likely will be getting a Classic. But I am never one to "settle" for good enough. If something can be better, and it isn't, you will hear me talk about it...
    10-07-14 09:37 PM
    I'm not raising a torch for anything, I have a Q10 and most likely will be getting a Classic. But I am never one to "settle" for good enough. If something can be better, and it isn't, you will hear me talk about it...
    Wasn't talking about you but there's many others who keep going on about it on the forums.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 10:37 PM
    Wasn't talking about you but there's many others who keep going on about it on the forums.

Posted via CB10
    I know, but I can only speak for myself, so...
    10-08-14 01:02 AM
    Only apple and android has the convince key. BlackBerry removed it a long time ago.
    10-08-14 03:22 AM
    With 10.3.1 this works on two fronts:

1) Universal Convenience Key - hit the mute button to open BlackBerry Assistant and say what app you want to open or task you want performed. In this sense it is even better

2) You can customize buttons and/or numbers to do different things.
    Example: hard press 'C' to open CB app or 'B' to open BBM. It is all customizable and very convenient.

Option 1 can be done from almost anywhere in the OS whereas option 2 seems to only work from the app pages view. Not from within the hub or an open app.

Curve 8300 --> BlackBerry 9300 --> Bold 9900 --> Z10 --> Z30(x3) --> Q10 --> Passport
    idssteve likes this.
    10-08-14 04:22 AM
    And for Classic? How will be function? It is/ will be possible to customise the mute key?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 04:58 AM
    OK, OK. Yes. I know what a "convenience"key is. I used mine for my camera on my old phones.

I have just seen to many people complain about the lack of a "convince" key, I wonder how the people at BlackBerry would even take someone seriously who couldn't even spell the name right.

So, there is John Chen on the stage introducing the new all-touch Z50: "You'll notice on the side that there is a new feature that was most requested by our long time users, it's the "convince" key. It has such a great tactile response and gives such a great clicking sound."

(question from media member in the audience) "But what does it do?"

Chen: "Nothing actually, it's just there to "convince" our legacy users to upgrade to a modern OS"

:-)

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:05 AM
    Oh, and I did like those keys and hope I can get good use out of the shortcuts in 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 08:06 AM
29 12