For this post, let's assume two things: we like our Classics enough to keep them for a very long time and BlackBerry will not be making any more PBK phones (Classic/Q10).

The batteries in these phones will eventually die. Even though the phones might be just fine they will need to be replaced. My hopes are that there will be a way to get a new battery and it won't cost an arm and a leg. If that is not an option (and since I'm not a fan of VKBs) I will likely move back to my Q10.

The Q, IMO, is a great phone and would be a very welcomed replacement to the Classic over a VKB phone in the event that I cannot get the battery replaced.

I don't know the life span of these batteries, but I am hoping that I can get a couple of years out of it.

So, what will you do?

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    10-25-15 10:00 AM
    Purchase a Priv most likely. It is the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 11:41 AM
    I'm gonna buy another one... I don't think there will something that can offer the same features for the price... I don't use many apps though...
    10-25-15 11:55 AM
    Buy a new classic
    Yes the priv has a pkb but i like the classic design.

When i hear the name BlackBerry i see a classic. Not a 5.4 screen

For for me, the classic is BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 12:01 PM
    It may be more difficult but it's not impossible to replace it. So I'll just replace the battery.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-25-15 12:45 PM
    To buy one of the last new Classic and store in home safe.

It's my plan.
    10-25-15 02:10 PM
    Buy another one or get the classic 2. Blackberry batteries last a good 2 years or more with moderate use. Now if you're a power user, you going have to stick with Q10 or user replaceable battery phone

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 02:20 PM
    Like most things, changing out Classic battery gets easier with practice. We've dissected several in office. It's a royal PITA but not impossible.

If new ones are still available, i'll buy new. If not, i'll roll up sleeves & get after it. Hopefully when I can do without it for multiple hours.
    lactose likes this.
    10-25-15 02:24 PM
    Wouldn't we be able to take the phones into a mobile repair shop and have the battery replaced?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 04:03 PM
    It may be more difficult but it's not impossible to replace it. So I'll just replace the battery.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    +1

Quot homines, tot sententiae!
    10-25-15 04:07 PM
    I'm not interested in the Priv. I have a new Android 4.4 and it's fine as a backup phone, but I need a TRUE BlackBerry for my work.

I like my Q5. It does what I need it to. It took me years to finally jump from os7 to BB10. No way I'm buying a Berry running Droid. When the battery dies, I'll buy another Q5. By then they will probably be well under $100 on Amazon.
    10-25-15 04:12 PM
    Hopefully the batteries will be available down the road because I can't find them online. Changing out the battery would be ideal if there isn't an updated PKB BlackBerry as an option.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 05:03 PM
    Buy another battery...

Really don't know if this type of posts

Regards
    cristu likes this.
    10-25-15 06:08 PM
    Get a Passport. Oh wait, I did already lol

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:46 PM
    Get a Passport. Oh wait, I did already lol

Posted via CB10
    My passport is already months older than my Classic.
    Is the Passport's battery easier to change WHEN it gets old?
    10-26-15 01:51 AM
    I just remembered that I got my iPhone 4s about 5 years ago. I was used by me for about six months, then my S.O. used it for four years solid, then gave it back to me and I've been using it off and on for about six months. So what, right? Well, I'm heading toward a conclusion here.
    iPhone batteries are also NON consumer replaceable (without opening the phone's core up), and are the same type of battery.

SO, if my old iPhone 4s' Battery has lasted this long and is STILL going strong, I'd also think that my sealed Q5 and other members Classics and Passport's batteries will also last at least this long.

I also had the original iPod touch from about 8 years ago, and the battery JUST failed a month or so ago. 5-7 years sounds about right for the new generation of Li-Ion batts with 8 years on the outside depending on use. I'd think that most of us would not have to worry for at least five years. Again, depending on conditions and use cycles of course. Since I cycle through phones, my use cycles are not as great as others.

I could open up that old iPod and replace the battery but at this point it's not worth it. The OS is too old and can't be upgraded. We will probably feel this way about our current Berries in five plus years. They will simply be too dated and we'll want something new and fresh anyway. Seriously. Does anyone here still replace batteries on their original BlackBerry Curve? Of course not. 99 percent of us have moved on to new phones.
    10-26-15 10:45 AM

Seriously. Does anyone here still replace batteries on their original BlackBerry Curve? Of course not. 99 percent of us have moved on to new phones.
    Umm...I swap batts in my 9900 twice a day when using OEM batt. Every 4 days with extended aftermarket batts. Just swapped batt in my 99 before posting this ... Lol . Good point tho. Modern LiPo/LiOn is truly amazing. At least partly due to improved charge/discharge controller algorithms. Even the NiMh in my 10 year old Prius shows zero evidence of deterioration. (That thing still gets 50+ mpg and still spins tires at stoplights. )

Still, there WILL be a percentage of failures that WILL need to be dealt with. As with Apple, it's not a user friendly operation. I work with, and run in to, iUsers who frequently express envy over my 99's swappable batt. Not for addressing degradation, but for convenience of letting the battery hug a wall while my 99 stays on the job with me. But, I don't think that's what OP was referring to, so...
    10-26-15 12:22 PM
    I wasn't thinking of the 9900. I still use a 9900. I still love the 9900.

My FIRST Curve was the 8520 in 2007 (ish). That's what I was referring to. There is no way I'd replace the bat on my old 8520. It's just too legacy. The 9900? I have three spare batts for that! I have a Q5 for personal but the 9900 is my business phone. It's a beast.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-26-15 02:32 PM
    Get a Lumia 950.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:24 PM
    I'll change the battery. They're not that hard to change out. People used to say the PB battery was a pain but I've changed 3 now and can do it in 10-15mins. It's worth it.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:15 AM
    Where do you get the batteries? Admittedly, I haven't look too hard for a Classic battery but I haven't found one online yet.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:24 AM
    No kidding who has a link where PB, Classic, Z30 & PP batteries can be purchased?

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-27-15 12:54 AM
    Yeah, I'm curious too, from which source we can buy batteries for Q20
    10-27-15 05:19 AM
    You can check places like this:
    Battery 1ICP4/58/116-2 916TA029H for Blackberry Playbook Playbook 16GB Playbook 32GB Playbook 64GB

But sometimes (as here) the cost of the battery is on the cusp of making it a better decision to just buy a new Playbook.

eBay will no doubt have a few offerings for batteries for BBerry devices, and eventually, Amazon will probably have them as well.
    10-27-15 04:59 PM
    I've gotten 2 OEM PB digitizers and 1 PB battery off eBay with no issues. I would imagine other BB device batteries would be available there as well. A 2nd PB battery I got from a cellular supply store I found online. I didn't pay over $20 for the batteries and the digitizers were $25 and $37

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 12:29 AM
26 12