Far be it from me to defend Facebook, but why would anyone support an OS whose own manufacturers don't support, harness or develop?

Posted via CB10
    Facebook never supported BB10 even when they first started. So that's not the reason. The reason is, as always, financial. Google, for example, as a company actively removes apps from their play store that allows the consumer to bypass using the official Facebook app meaning bypass some of their data mining ability and their ads. BB10 had it where your notifications came to the hub and you could load the post right there too, which does bypass those money-making things from Facebook. So of course they will do what they can to kill it, which in turn would make things better for iOS and Android, the two that helps facebook make their profits. Look at youtube for another example. The reason videos cannot play in the background on Android isn't because the phone or OS isn't capable, it's because then youtube won't be able to force you to watch the ads. The proof is that now you can pay for a subscription and magically that feature will work. Google actively removes third party apps that allowed for background playing of YT videos without a Red subscription (some apps have that feature, but you have to be subscribed with Youtube). BB10 allows for this feature straight out of their native browser. BB10 allowed for many of these things that are good for the consumers. The big corporations didn't like that. So they only support the OS's that help them in their endeavors...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    moyah8, jas1978, acovey and 1 others like this.
    05-20-16 08:53 AM
    Wrong BlackBerry don't want to develop BlackBerry 10 os ,no new api no new sdk ,road map..
    That reply is just a comment! It does not state the stopping of developing api!

@Slagman5 says it best in his reply above.

BlackBerry does not cater for data mining like the others, so they will do whatever it takes to kill that OS and force you to theirs (data mining OS's).

So, the likes of BlackBerry has no room in this world of data mining!

(it's so funny when people object to the police / government. Having their biometric data, yet they get a mobile device with a finger print scanner!!)

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-20-16 09:42 AM
    OP....

If WhatsApp is your concern... you have time to wait and see where BlackBerry is heading. We will have three more earnings reports and opportunities for Chen to announce something more concrete about plans for BB10 (if there are any).

But currently no there are no known plans for an updated PKB device running BB10... of course there really aren't too many PKB devices out there period. If you want a PKB, I'd look real hard at the PRIV as I think it will be a better device than the ROME/Vienna.
    05-20-16 09:55 AM
    OP....

If WhatsApp is your concern... you have time to wait and see where BlackBerry is heading. We will have three more earnings reports and opportunities for Chen to announce something more concrete about plans for BB10 (if there are any).

But currently no there are no known plans for an updated PKB device running BB10... of course there really aren't too many PKB devices out there period. If you want a PKB, I'd look real hard at the PRIV as I think it will be a better device than the ROME/Vienna.
    I would disagree, with you on the topic of priv being better than thee new one with pkb, but that's something i hope, not know (I assume it only because the build quality of priv is kind of mediocre, in comparison to passport.

Also, I have a dumb hope that they are allowing the developers to leave BB10 apps, because they would re-implement google play services for reasonable android support and proper hub notifications. But as I see it, the only device that can run AR without much shutter is passport, and I would question the decision to support 1 device with new updates. nonetheless, I would wish for it. Anyway I think I will keep my "new" pp as a mobile workstation/inbox and stay with android for media-related stuff, fb and wa.

Thee problem with FB is easily solvable, as the are some reasonable apps on the BBWorld.
    The whatsapp is more difficult, but we still do not know if the end of support means that they will shut down all of the BB10 users, or if they will not support us with new features, etc. Anyhow, if someone feels like developing something there is a publicly available API written in python where you can communicate with whatsapp servers (previously known as openwhatsapp which was shut down, but the API works and the development continues, but clients are only for meego and some long forgotten OS)
    05-20-16 10:27 AM
    I hope BB10 doesn't go away completely. It's a really powerful, business first, OS. If the hardware division returns to profitability, i could see BlackBerry having two OS's. I could see a scenario where they continue to have one updated full touch and one keyboard BB10 phone to keep the business users happy. It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest of specs and could have a low production number.
    05-20-16 10:40 AM
    The answer to me is simple. If your phone does what you need, stay with it. If it doesn't, then move on.
    Great reply.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    05-20-16 12:28 PM
    The most frustrating part of that is BlackBerry is ignoring that reality and pursuing the futile effort of attracting Android customers; most of whom wouldn't be caught dead using a BlackBerry. Misguided.
    It wasn't all that long ago that every member here wouldn't have been caught dead with a Android phone. Labeled a POS, Inferior design, Slow, Laggy, or my favorite, not a productivity platform. I always laugh at the last one. I've had every OS out there at some point. They all boosted productivity. Hell, If I could make a call, send a message, or do emails it was productive. add apps? BINGO now I can do more. Whenever I read about BB and productivity in the same sentence I wanna LOL! It's like the person has nothing to actually say. Since all the smartphones out there all do the same basic thing but BB users have a hard time saying more than hey, It's a productivity device.Granted, no one does Email better than BB but, compared to everything else, Thats all it really can do better. That PKB crap, The Priv keyboard is no where close to the older bold and Curve keyboards.
    05-20-16 01:00 PM
    As a long term android user I do agree... I tend to smirk a little every time i read comments like that, but frankly... now that I have the passport, it is build with productivity in mind. There is not much distraction, and i have all the communication (work) right under my fingers (i have a OnePLus One also, great phone, love it, but its not the same). In android, you have many widgets, fancy this a and that (ofc, since its android, you are free to remove the stuff) and I find myself often lost on facebook or wikipedia. This didnt happen on BB and I am seriously considering getting another passport (SE this time) just for the sake of future work mobile device.
    05-20-16 01:07 PM
    When you both finish smirking...... try to run an Android with multiple accounts with thousands of contacts each.
    BB10 can do that efficiently.
    If they would only continue to develop full office VOIP integration and every other form of communication used in the professional world it would remain the best for a long time to come. Also some bugs to work out especially search related. It is the most solid platform and is crazy to abandon.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817), acovey and moyah8 like this.
    05-20-16 03:24 PM
    What gets me is how they still sell phones without Facebook and Whatsapp for 500 euro. Like, of all the nerve.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 05:21 PM
    What gets me is how they still sell phones without Facebook and Whatsapp for 500 euro. Like, of all the nerve.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed! I need to be able to easily broadcast pictures of what I'm eating to the entire world! And making me do that through a browser or Android app instead of a native app is just way too much to ask. My time is precious - I need every moment to stage my next selfie.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-20-16 05:33 PM
    Not only that. I have 5 accounts with multiple email addresses and thousands of contacts on each. When I loaded those onto Android, the device became almost unusable. BB10 even with a weaker processor does okay with that. It is a solid platform that deserves further development. Android should be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    While well over 5000 contacts sounds crazy to me I'm still surprised you feel Android couldn't handle that while BB 10 could. Which Android device struggled with that?
    05-20-16 05:53 PM
    Actually, a faster processor is not really a necessity. My Classic does everything I need. Besides, I'd rather the processor power be scaled down in the interests of battery life.

Posted via CB10
    The faster processors also have more battery saving capabilities.
    05-20-16 05:54 PM
    Galaxy Note 5

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 06:02 PM
    Galaxy Note 5

Posted via CB10
    That's surprising. I've never heard that complaint about the note 5. I've found my Android devices and BB devices handle contacts about the same.
    05-20-16 06:18 PM
    Sorry, your comment is too stupid for me to take notice. Try posting something intelligent next time.

Posted via CB10
    Except you did take notice. And went out of your way to reply. Ironic.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-20-16 06:50 PM
    Except you did take notice. And went out of your way to reply. Ironic.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    Lol, reminds me of that old song where the woman sings "I bet you think this song is about you." Um, sounds like it was, LMAO.

anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-20-16 07:25 PM
    Who cares if it's getting old, or what others think. If everything we did was based on what others thought of us, then we'd be puppets.

Posted via CB10
    ....but a puppet doesn't know it's on the strings..........(these redundant threads wane as evidence)

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    05-20-16 08:27 PM
    Lol, reminds me of that old song where the woman sings "I bet you think this song is about you." Um, sounds like it was, LMAO.

....Miss Jackson..(if ya nasty)

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    05-20-16 08:29 PM
    They can, but won't.

BB10 is more than capable of handling whatever it is that they have instore. And if it's not, then BB10 will be updated to match it.

However, as my opening statement made clear. They do not want to support BB10 development.

My concern may be a little different from others. My Z10 (which I like) is not going to live forever. One day, I will need to replace it, but with what? I like the Z10, because I don't need a phablet. I don't carry a purse, I don't want to pull a wagon, around. I want a phone that I can clip to my belt, and it won't look like I have a briefcase hanging from my waist. So, I probably will not be able to buy another BlackBerry. I hate the thought of buying an iPhone, but they realize that some people don't need a huge phone, and are bringing out a small one. Time will tell.
    05-20-16 09:06 PM
    Well I still have glorious wows regarding my Passport SE but you're right, ppl are very intrigued this is actually a BlackBerry.
    05-21-16 04:50 AM
    Do you think it would ever be possible to put Android on the classic? The classic is the perfect size and the keyboard is an excellent feature.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 06:55 AM
    Do you think it would ever be possible to put Android on the classic? The classic is the perfect size and the keyboard is an excellent feature.

Posted via CB10
    No Android.

Posted via CB10
    moyah8 likes this.
    05-21-16 07:21 AM
    I suppose not.
    As the booloader is, and apparently stays, locked, you cannot switch to any other ROM/OS.

In terms of "would it run?"
    You would need the newer android runtime with ahead of time compilation (ART +) and a reasonable gui with no bloatware, because the processor si somewhat slower than the common android. I guess you will have to wait till summer
    05-21-16 07:23 AM
    My concern may be a little different from others. My Z10 (which I like) is not going to live forever. One day, I will need to replace it, but with what? I like the Z10, because I don't need a phablet. I don't carry a purse, I don't want to pull a wagon, around. I want a phone that I can clip to my belt, and it won't look like I have a briefcase hanging from my waist. So, I probably will not be able to buy another BlackBerry. I hate the thought of buying an iPhone, but they realize that some people don't need a huge phone, and are bringing out a small one. Time will tell.
    That too is my concern.

I've but sold all my BlackBerry devices recently. I still have my beloved Q10 and just one Classic (the one I'm using now). I'll wait for the Passport Silver edition to drop more in price then get one.. strange I saw that, considering I had a Passport and sold it!!

Anyways, I too can not see myself owning a iPhone or an Android device.

Just looking at my Classic now and seeing the notification light flash makes me love this little beast even more.

05-21-16 09:33 AM
128 1234 ...