I am among the last holdouts whom I know.

I can't count how many times I have heard things like "What? People still use BlackBerry?!"

But I do because it has, long, been the best.

But now my Classic is getting old. Support for the extraordinary BB10 has waned. Whatsapp is abandoning us.

While it is true that BBM is a much better app, it has failed to gain enough users to make it a viable alternative. That means I will no longer participate in family groups, groups of colleagues or friends....

Doubt creeps in. No new announcement about new advanced BB10 keyboard phones. More doubt.

(chorus) But now my Classic is getting old. Support for the extraordinary BB10 has waned. Whatsapp is abandoning us.

Is it time to move on?

Posted via CB10
    momsthename likes this.
    05-19-16 05:51 AM
    The answer to me is simple. If your phone does what you need, stay with it. If it doesn't, then move on.
    05-19-16 05:54 AM
    Who cares if it's getting old, or what others think. If everything we did was based on what others thought of us, then we'd be puppets.

Posted via CB10
    pale_face, ck2nb, sesp9 and 4 others like this.
    05-19-16 08:01 AM
    Who cares if it's getting old, or what others think. If everything we did was based on what others thought of us, then we'd be puppets.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed... there will always be greater and better.

Posted via CB10 on my ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-19-16 08:30 AM
    That was not my point. Obviously I have made my decisions based on what I need and not what others think I need or I would have bailed years ago.

My point is time is moving on. A faster processor is very close to being a necessity to support the forms of data we all exchange on the job. Additionally, Whatsapp, for better or worse, has become the norm on cross-platform messaging. They now say BB10 doesn't have the ability to support features they plan to add. That wouldn't be even close to a reality if BlackBerry were pursuing development and harnessing the power of BB10. Instead they have chosen to build better hardware only for the inferior Android platform.

I don't see this leading anywhere good. My Classic still does what I need, but it appears that won't be the case for much longer.

The most frustrating part of that is BlackBerry is ignoring that reality and pursuing the futile effort of attracting Android customers; most of whom wouldn't be caught dead using a BlackBerry. Misguided.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 08:45 AM
    Get what you want and be happy.

I don't use Facebook or WhatsApp, so I'm not affected by their discontinued app support.

I do use several Android apps and have used Cobalt's patched APKs to get the Google Play Store and Google Play Services working.

But even if Android apps stopped working on BB10 tomorrow, I'd still use a BlackBerry as my daily driver. Their communication and productivity features are still unmatched and there are enough native apps to keep me happy.

Join me on BBM!
    lopez2013 and UnderBerry like this.
    05-19-16 08:58 AM
    I don't use Facebook either. I do use Whatsapp only because it has caught on where BBM failed. I also use Cobalt's solution and have no problem with any of that.

My point stands.

BlackBerry has deserted it's only loyal client�le and left us with no options.

You say to go where I want.

What I want is to hear about a new more powerful BlackBerry 10 keyboard device in the making; what I want is to see new releases of a developing BB10.

Pipe dreams, I fear.

Posted via CB10
    Emanuel_Bardanis and mdbd like this.
    05-19-16 09:05 AM
    I don't feel abandoned by BlackBerry. My devices do what I want and do not do what I don't want. Which right there is more than I could say for android. The time to move on is when you are unhappy with what you have.

People who won't be caught dead using a BlackBerry are just funny people. If they have never tried one there is nothing to say, they may try one if they see one in action someday.
    acovey, BlackGuy and mdbd like this.
    05-19-16 09:51 AM

I can't count how many times I have heard things like "What? People still use BlackBerry?!"

But now my Classic is getting old. Support for the extraordinary BB10 has waned. Whatsapp is abandoning us.

While it is true that BBM is a much better app, it has failed to gain enough users to make it a viable alternative. That means I will no longer participate in family groups, groups of colleagues or friends....

Doubt creeps in. No new announcement about new advanced BB10 keyboard phones. More doubt.

(chorus) But now my Classic is getting old. Support for the extraordinary BB10 has waned. Whatsapp is abandoning us.

Is it time to move on?

Posted via CB10
    BB10 phones by themselves are not profitable. They need to stabilize the hardware department before they even consider making more BB10 devices. There is still demand for BB10 out there by a few consumers and some corporate customers. So they have a reason to keep it, but right now no reason to prioritize it. I'll wait until next year before you make up your mind. If we don't hear of any BB10 devices coming out before the end of 2017 then I think it could be considered official...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    acovey and anon(3072139) like this.
    05-19-16 09:58 AM
    BB10 phones by themselves are not profitable. They need to stabilize the hardware department before they even consider making more BB10 devices. There is still demand for BB10 out there by a few consumers and some corporate customers. So they have a reason to keep it, but right now no reason to prioritize it. I'll wait until next year before you make up your mind. If we don't hear of any BB10 devices coming out before the end of 2017 then I think it could be considered official...

I like your tone. Hopeful but not unrealistic. I can swallow that. Hope you're right!

Posted via CB10
    mdbd likes this.
    05-19-16 10:18 AM
    I like your tone. Hopeful but not unrealistic. I can swallow that. Hope you're right!

Posted via CB10
    Yah, me too, I really like BB10's interface. It's actually kind of fun, lol. I use an Android for work so I'm familiar with it. Not a huge fan... It's not bad, it's usable and it works, but it's just so... blah...

05-19-16 10:38 AM
    I held on to BlackBerry 10 for 3 years hoping it would improve but it didn't. I realized it doesn't work for me anymore, so I gave it away no matter how hard it is. Swiping your way everyday is simply too hard to forget. Just think of it this way: a phone is a tool. If you own a Victorinox but you needed beefy pliers, get a Leatherman.
    05-19-16 12:26 PM
    Yah, me too, I really like BB10's interface. It's actually kind of fun, lol. I use an Android for work so I'm familiar with it. Not a huge fan... It's not bad, it's usable and it works, but it's just so... blah...

Not only that. I have 5 accounts with multiple email addresses and thousands of contacts on each. When I loaded those onto Android, the device became almost unusable. BB10 even with a weaker processor does okay with that. It is a solid platform that deserves further development. Android should be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    victory zhou, jagdish L and acovey like this.
    05-19-16 12:40 PM

Is it time to move on?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing in life is perfect and has it faults. I'm not a user of whatsapp, but I do like the option of it being there. Everyone's requirements of apps and services are individual cases so BB10's limited app support is ok for some, and unacceptable to others. Like Conite said, if your phone fits your needs then keep on chugging along with it...

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    ANONAMOUS16 likes this.
    05-19-16 12:59 PM
    No Whatsapp and minimal Facebook. Lots of Webex, conference calls and ridiculous amount of emails. Have Passport SE, Priv, Moto Force and Moto Maxx. I use Classic as daily driver. Why? Slowest processor and least memory with smallext battery!! Simple, keyboard is king, size is perfect and it does everything that I need it to. Totally dominates with shortcuts and toolbelt. Best handling of multiple phone calls and best texting (Priv on Lollipop is a texting problem with MMS and NO fix). Additional SD card a godsend. As long as I can stay on my Classic all is good. No complaints and no wants except not to let it die like WebOS.
    acovey likes this.
    05-19-16 02:00 PM
    That was not my point. Obviously I have made my decisions based on what I need and not what others think I need or I would have bailed years ago.

My point is time is moving on. A faster processor is very close to being a necessity to support the forms of data we all exchange on the job. Additionally, Whatsapp, for better or worse, has become the norm on cross-platform messaging. They now say BB10 doesn't have the ability to support features they plan to add. That wouldn't be even close to a reality if BlackBerry were pursuing development and harnessing the power of BB10. Instead they have chosen to build better hardware only for the inferior Android platform.

I don't see this leading anywhere good. My Classic still does what I need, but it appears that won't be the case for much longer.

The most frustrating part of that is BlackBerry is ignoring that reality and pursuing the futile effort of attracting Android customers; most of whom wouldn't be caught dead using a BlackBerry. Misguided.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, a faster processor is not really a necessity. My Classic does everything I need. Besides, I'd rather the processor power be scaled down in the interests of battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 04:11 PM
    It's like saying that a more powerful engine in every new car is a necessity. There will always be a market for modestly-powered equipment.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 04:32 PM
    Well, I'm not one to say that it needs to be the "fastest" phone out there, but having a faster processor can have its benefits, including battery life. Usage matters more when it comes to power consumption. A CPU being pushed to its limits often will likely use more power than a faster CPU not being pushed. So as long as you're not constantly playing 3D games and doing other things that would push your CPU or GPU, it can be geared to be more power efficient. And also a faster CPU will get things done quicker, meaning it'll spend less time working and more time resting, you get things done faster so the screen doesn't stay on as long, etc... For example, if you put in a 2GHz CPU, and downclock it to 1.8GHz and turn down the voltage applied as well, it will likely get the same things done faster and with less power consumption than a phone with a 1.5GHz CPU doing the same thing because of the factors mentioned above.

Since someone else brought up cars, here's the perfect example. Someone (think it was Top Gear) did a test where they took a Toyota Prius and drove it around a track as fast as they could push the car. Then they took a BMW M3 (V8 engine) and went around that same track but only fast enough to match the Toyota Prius lap time. Guess which car used less fuel. Yep, the M3...

werkregen likes this.
    05-19-16 05:25 PM
    I LOVE my Classic... Up until this November/December I was still actively using my 9900 as my daily driver, Classic on line 2... Finally retired my Bold and put the Classic on line one, the Priv on line 2... Very much like the 9900, I will use this device until it it no longer functions... For the most part I only use my daily driver to call, text, email and occasionally use the browser or commemorate special moments with a pic or two... Maybe a video if I'm feeling frisky. The Classic does all of this and even more so feels amazing when bumping out mass textual content... Perfect size and form factor. A phone phone... Still a keeper for me...

As for whatsapp/facebook meh... I don't use either... Not into FB, Instagram, Snapchat, hell I don't even use BBM... None of that matters to me... I only carry the Priv for a few select functions that really, when it comes down to it, are unimportant to me... The second line is frivolous and carried simply because I can, but not because I must... If I was forced to downsize to just one device it would be a simple choice to choose my Classic...

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    05-19-16 06:48 PM
    Whatsapp, for better or worse, has become the norm on cross-platform messaging. They now say BB10 doesn't have the ability to support features they plan to add.

Posted via CB10
    They can, but won't.

BB10 is more than capable of handling whatever it is that they have instore. And if it's not, then BB10 will be updated to match it.

However, as my opening statement made clear. They do not want to support BB10 development.

05-20-16 01:37 AM
    They can, but won't.

BB10 is more than capable of handling whatever it is that they have instore. And if it's not, then BB10 will be updated to match it.

However, as my opening statement made clear. They do not want to support BB10 development.

Wrong BlackBerry don't want to develop BlackBerry 10 os ,no new api no new sdk ,road map..
    Attached Thumbnails What Many Are Thinking-1463729646578.jpg   What Many Are Thinking-1463729659113.jpg  
    akshay_neudigit likes this.
    05-20-16 02:34 AM
    I have a very simple philosophy. I will use a blackberry for emailing and calls and use a secondary device for apps/social/navigational needs. You could use an iphone/ipad/android tablet or phone as your secondary device and fill any gaps.
    Blackberry4Shizzle likes this.
    05-20-16 06:17 AM
    I have a very simple philosophy. I will use a blackberry for emailing and calls and use a secondary device for apps/social/navigational needs. You could use an iphone/ipad/android tablet or phone as your secondary device and fill any gaps.
    That is actually a complicated one. I would always want to carry one device.
    acovey likes this.
    05-20-16 06:35 AM
    They can, but won't.

Far be it from me to defend Facebook, but why would anyone support an OS whose own manufacturers don't support, harness or develop?

Posted via CB10
    Uzi and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    05-20-16 07:46 AM
    They can, but won't.

Yep, it's pretty obvious their reasoning is BS.

acovey likes this.
    05-20-16 08:45 AM
128 123 ...