Greeting friends,

So I've acquired an SQPC100-2 because I'm switching to AT&T and I want to use the blackberry classic but I was curious to know whether or not there was a significant difference between the SQC100-2 and the SQC100-4 models of the classic. The bands seem to be about the same, for GSM and UMTS at least. SQC100-4s seem to be the rarer of the two and I was curious as to why that was. Additionally, if the SQC100-4 is, in fact, better, is there a way to transfer components from a partially broken SQC100-4 to a fully functional SQC100-2 to give the SQC100-2 the beneficial features of the SQC100-4? I have a broken SQC100-4 coming in to replace the keyboard on my SQC100-2 but I was curious if there was a way I could move some other stuff over as well. I've been getting into phone/pocket tech disassembly recently and I think this would be a pretty cool thing if I could pull it off. As always, thanks for your help.
    11-19-20 10:58 AM
    Greeting friends,

So I've acquired an SQPC100-2 because I'm switching to AT&T and I want to use the blackberry classic but I was curious to know whether or not there was a significant difference between the SQC100-2 and the SQC100-4 models of the classic. The bands seem to be about the same, for GSM and UMTS at least. SQC100-4s seem to be the rarer of the two and I was curious as to why that was. Additionally, if the SQC100-4 is, in fact, better, is there a way to transfer components from a partially broken SQC100-4 to a fully functional SQC100-2 to give the SQC100-2 the beneficial features of the SQC100-4? I have a broken SQC100-4 coming in to replace the keyboard on my SQC100-2 but I was curious if there was a way I could move some other stuff over as well. I've been getting into phone/pocket tech disassembly recently and I think this would be a pretty cool thing if I could pull it off. As always, thanks for your help.
    rarsen and dubengeldu like this.
    11-19-20 01:27 PM
    Thank you for your reply! I did see this but I was curious if there were any other differences.
    11-19-20 01:38 PM
    Thank you for your reply! I did see this but I was curious if there were any other differences.
    Nah. That's pretty much it.
    11-19-20 01:40 PM
    One more thing to consider, which you may already know, to notify AT&T about your Classic. Simply changing SIM won't give you all the functions that are otherwise available.

That is what happened to me. I switched from a Bold and switched only SIM cards first. I had no LTE data and no visual voice mail (and maybe a few more minor things that I forget now), until I have contacted AT&T and they have "registered" my phone on their network.
    12-01-20 09:51 AM
    That's it....

As for moving components.... If the Main Board is good in the 100-4, yes you could pull it apart and move it to the body of the other phone.

AT&T's main bands are 2, 4, 12, and 17. But 5, 14, 29, 30 and 66 are also now used and in some markets.
    12-01-20 10:20 AM
    Wait....so when did you switch from the Bold to the Classic? Just recently?

Am asking because I am on VZW family plan with three (ancient) Bolds and was trying to hold out until OnwardMobility gets the new BBs to market in 2021, but VZW is throwing me off end soon and I need to know if ATT will either:

1) Activate the Bolds on their network, not throwing us off for another year.

OR...

2) I should buy three used BB Classics (asap) which are 4G LTE but not VOLTE and do not know if ATT will activate those phones.

3) If I do take the Bolds to an ATT store , let's say next week, and they even try to activate these ancient phones, that will throw me off the VZW network, so unless I have a newer BB (Classic?) with me, that means no cellphone.

(Yes, I should have done this earlier in this year, but I live in NYC and it's been Mad Max Plague World here, stores boarded up etc, fun year for everyone!)

So my question comes down to should I buy three used Classics and take them to the ATT store and hope they will activate them which will buy us another year?

Advice appreciated.
    12-05-20 12:09 PM

Am asking because I am on VZW family plan with three (ancient) Bolds and was trying to hold out until OnwardMobility gets the new BBs to market in 2021, but VZW is throwing me off end soon and I need to know if ATT will either:

OR...

2) I should buy three used BB Classics (asap) which are 4G LTE but not VOLTE and do not know if ATT will activate those phones.

3) If I do take the Bolds to an ATT store , let's say next week, and they even try to activate these ancient phones, that will throw me off the VZW network, so unless I have a newer BB (Classic?) with me, that means no cellphone.

(Yes, I should have done this earlier in this year, but I live in NYC and it's been Mad Max Plague World here, stores boarded up etc, fun year for everyone!)

So my question comes down to should I buy three used Classics and take them to the ATT store and hope they will activate them which will buy us another year?

Advice appreciated.
    I think you have to ask yourself whether you want to take a risk on the unknown future of BB10, in as much how much longer it is going to be useable for, or invest in some cheap Android phones to see you through until you make your mind up on which OS, Android or iOS you want to move forward with because you will have to bite the bullet at some point quite soon.

The cheap Android would also tide you over until the new BB phone arrives, of course this new phone may not be something you want when the specs are revealed.
    AA Byron likes this.
    12-05-20 03:41 PM

OR...

Advice appreciated.
    If you're going to do that, purchase ONLY the AT&T branded carrier locked version. That way it's optimized for the AT&T network for the next year until AT&T shuts 3G down. Although I don't believe VoLTE will be supported, if by some fluke it happens, that will only happen on AT&T sold and supported devices.
    AA Byron likes this.
    12-05-20 03:45 PM
    Nah. That's pretty much it.

SQC100-2 have wireless charging and SQC100-4 do not have that.

What makes an SQC100-2 different from an SQC100-4?-screenshot-2021-02-01-183623.png
    Last edited by CarSocMaguinsay; 02-01-21 at 05:39 AM. Reason: add photo
    02-01-21 05:35 AM
    As of the end of January 2021, AT&T will no longer activate non-LTE devices on their network. I am not sure about their MVNOs like Cricket, H2O, and so on.

That having been said, aren't the Classic and Passport both LTE compatible?
    02-05-21 12:30 PM
    As of the end of January 2021, AT&T will no longer activate non-LTE devices on their network. I am not sure about their MVNOs like Cricket, H2O, and so on.

That having been said, aren't the Classic and Passport both LTE compatible?
    LTE and VoLTE are not same thing.
    02-05-21 01:03 PM
    True...they will no longer activate non-VoLTE Devices. My bad with the typo.
    02-05-21 01:30 PM
    True...they will no longer activate non-VoLTE Devices. My bad with the typo.
    I didn’t mean anything snarky, I was just clarifying since there’s been much confusion on the specific topic..

*****Correction, the wife says I always come across snarky.......
    02-05-21 02:06 PM
    Please explain the difference between LTE and VoLTE. Thanks
    02-06-21 08:08 PM
    4G/LTE is the data network.

VoLTE is the name of the method used to transmit voice and sms over that data network.
    02-06-21 08:10 PM
    As conite explained while I was busy at the outdoor Super Bowl eve party, just me, Captain Morgan and the family.... LOL

Good too because my answer would be too hard to understand at least until tomorrow morning...
    02-07-21 12:33 AM