They sell a metal band for the Q10 on Amazon. I think the Classic will have the same metal band like on the Bold 9900. If does not have a metal band, I will wait for someone to make one. I am going to have one chrome plated and one black anodized. If you ever saw black anodized after it is polished you would swear it was black glass. I can't wait to make my Classic a one of a kind!
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-26-14 at 09:52 PM.
    05-26-14 09:40 PM
    I love the look of the silver on the q10, wouldn't mind doing to mine.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-26-14 10:25 PM
    They sell a metal band for the Q10 on Amazon. I think the Classic will have the same metal band like on the Bold 9900. If does not have a metal band, I will wait for someone to make one. I am going to have one chrome plated and one black anodized. If you ever saw black anodized after it is polished you would swear it was black glass. I can't wait to make my Classic a one of a kind!
    You realize the black bezel on the Q10 is steel right??

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-26-14 11:06 PM
    You realize the black bezel on the Q10 is steel right??

It must be painted from BB, Amazon has a brush finish replacement. I think it is aluminum. The Bold is brush finished. I don't know which will look better a chrome trim or black anodized. If you polish before anodizing the finish will look like a piece of polished black glass.
    05-26-14 11:33 PM
    Never mind.
    Last edited by Ray III; 05-28-14 at 08:30 PM.
    05-26-14 11:35 PM
    Yes.
    05-26-14 11:45 PM
    It must be painted from BB, Amazon has a brush finish replacement. I think it is aluminum. The Bold is brush finished. I don't know which will look better a chrome trim or black anodized. If you polish before anodizing the finish will look like a piece of polished black glass.
    Yes, a black finish is put on the bezel from BB. The silver one you see is also steel, just brushed finish instead of with a black finish. I like the black bezel because it contrasts great with the frets notched into it. But recently I put the brushed steel bezel on my phone just to have a "different" look than the normal Q10. It looks nice, especially in the holster where the steel color peeks out...

05-27-14 12:02 AM
    That sounds pretty sweet. I am going to do the exact same thing so mine can be one of a kind too.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and KDB84 like this.
    05-27-14 12:17 AM
    The Q20 is likely to be somewhat taller than the Q10, and that metal band also forms part of the chassis for the device itself.

There will likely be black and white versions of the Q20, and likely different finishes (I've seen black Q10s with the white chassis swapped in, giving it a brushed aluminum band like on the 9900). I'm sure a similar swap will be possible on a Q20.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 12:22 AM
    And why are we calling it a "band"?? It's the frame of the phone, the keyboard, mainboard, and midframe screws directly into it... It's not just a "band" around the phone...

Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 12:30 AM
    Yes, a black finish is put on the bezel from BB. The silver one you see is also steel, just brushed finish instead of with a black finish. I like the black bezel because it contrasts great with the frets notched into it. But recently I put the brushed steel bezel on my phone just to have a "different" look than the normal Q10. It looks nice, especially in the holster where the steel color peeks out...

Not brushed steel or it would rust. I will chrome plate one and anodize one. I manufactured parts before the black anodize is a finish that you can not get with painting.

I think I will order some trim tomorrow and try it on my 9900.

When I get them done I'll PM you some pictures.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-27-14 at 03:42 AM. Reason: material not aluminum
    05-27-14 01:04 AM
    And why are we calling it a "band"?? It's the frame of the phone, the keyboard, main board, and mainframe screws directly into it... It's not just a "band" around the phone...

No the trim or band or bezel whatever you want to call it isn't t part of the main frame. Everything bolts to the back and this trim is sandwiched between the glass and the keyboard. The engineering on the 9900 is amazing. A lot of thought went into the engineering. That is why the Bold cost so much. It is also the reason it won't be water proof.

And yes, aluminum and stainless can be chrome plated.

I looked at the videos on You Tube and the design of the Q10 is similar to the 9900.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-27-14 at 03:48 AM. Reason: correct material to stainless
    05-27-14 01:27 AM
    That sounds pretty sweet. I am going to do the exact same thing so mine can be one of a kind too.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha
    05-27-14 02:20 AM
    No the aluminum trim or band or bezel whatever you want to call it isn't t part of the main frame. Everything bolts to the back and this trim is sandwiched between the glass and the keyboard. The engineering on the 9900 is amazing. A lot of thought went into the engineering. That is why the Bold cost so much. It is also the reason it won't be water proof.

And yes, aluminum can be chrome plated.

I looked at the videos on You Tube and the design of the Q10 is similar to the 9900.
    It's still not a "band" because it's not merely wrapped around the structure. I just looked at the 2 spare bezels I have laying around and counted 7 points where the screws go through the bezel, it is obviously part of the structural integrity of the phone and not just a surrounding covering piece like a band would be...

But you're right, it's not simply steel, that would rust... unless it was stainless steel... from the engineers themselves: "The frame is carved out of solid block of forged, 304 stainless steel to make the BlackBerry Q10 strong and durable. Each frame takes 20 minutes to produce through a multi-step computer controlled machining process. The black PVD finish has been chosen to keep the frame from scratching"

So I guess that is laid to rest. It's so odd that the engineers who built the phone are calling it a frame though... ;-)

I know it's personal preference, and I'm sure you'll love how it'll come out, so do it, enjoy it. Just me personally, I find chrome kind of tacky looking. You can practically chrome anything, and companies know this, that's why they chrome every cheap thing that's made out of cheap metals... But that's just my personal opinion...
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 02:57 AM
    It's still not a "band" because it's not merely wrapped around the structure. I just looked at the 2 spare bezels I have laying around and counted 7 points where the screws go through the bezel, it is obviously part of the structural integrity of the phone and not just a surrounding covering piece like a band would be...

But you're right, it's not simply steel, that would rust... unless it was stainless steel... from the engineers themselves: "The frame is carved out of solid block of forged, 304 stainless steel to make the BlackBerry Q10 strong and durable. Each frame takes 20 minutes to produce through a multi-step computer controlled machining process. The black PVD finish has been chosen to keep the frame from scratching"

So I guess that is laid to rest. It's so odd that the engineers who built the phone are calling it a frame though... ;-)

I know it's personal preference, and I'm sure you'll love how it'll come out, so do it, enjoy it. Just me personally, I find chrome kind of tacky looking. You can practically chrome anything, and companies know this, that's why they chrome every cheap thing that's made out of cheap metals... But that's just my personal opinion...
    Ok, the band/bezel/trim gives structural strength of the phone along with the keyboard and glass. Everything bolts to the back cover and the band acts to help stiffen the phone. Partially assembled it has no strength.

Didn't check it close enough and it is stainless. How did you find out about the machining process?

Thanks for the insight.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-27-14 at 04:14 AM.
    05-27-14 03:22 AM
    Ok, the band/bezel/trim gives structural strength of the phone along with the keyboard and glass. Everything bolts to the back cover and the band acts to help stiffen the phone. Partially assembled it has no strength.

Didn't check it close enough and it is stainless. How did you find out about the machining process?

Thanks for the insight.
    The info on the frame/bezel/NOT-band ;-) is on the inside blackberry website which is a blog hosted by blackberry's own domain:
    Designing the new BlackBerry Q10: An Inside Look | Inside BlackBerry
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-27-14 04:22 AM
    The info on the frame/bezel/NOT-band ;-) is on the inside blackberry website which is a blog hosted by blackberry's own domain:
    Designing the new BlackBerry Q10: An Inside Look | Inside BlackBerry
    Thanks for the research on the frame. This make me appreciate the Bold and Q10 even more. 20 minutes of machining could never have been done in the USA at a reasonable cost.
    05-27-14 09:17 AM