There seems to be this idea around here that people either fall into one of two categories.
    The first, is the "I don't even know what a ghz is"
    And the second, is the "I gotta keep up with the latest Samsung phone's specs or it's too slow".

There are many of us who fall into neither camp
    We are the ones that realize that the latest and greatest specs are not ways needed to get work done. We realize that a phone, for most uses doesn't have to have a quad core CPU or 3 GB of RAM.

On the other hand, we also know that a good experience with a phone needs more than merely the minimum system requirements.

For an example, there are new Windows 8 devices that only have 1 GB of RAM.
    A knowledgeable consumer will know that that would be limiting. But that same knowledgeable consumer also knows that you can have a reliable PC that has less than 16 GB of RAM as well.
    We are the ones that want an adequate amount of specs to meet the needs of our devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 08:56 AM
    Right on. Enough function to do the job works for me. Messaging is paramount. Games and videos are not necessary in my handheld life.
    Lefty724, keepit dry and bungaboy like this.
    12-05-14 09:06 AM
    I do care about some specs, like screen resolution, and also CPU speed up to a certain extent. On the other hand, it depends on what the phone's primary purpose is. Just the same as with a computer, where you would chose a very different configuration depending on the tasks you want to take up with it.

What also matters to me are non technical specs, like build quality and durability. Unfortunately they are not measurable, so this comes down to experience.
    renzokuken.tan likes this.
    12-05-14 03:57 PM
    I wouldn't say I'm really into specs anymore, but upping the hardware, even a little, would make the phone being so expensive.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:05 PM
    I don't think it makes sense to name just the categories "don't know anything" "keeping up with latest android phone".
    I'd see myself as somebody who doesn't need the latest cpu/ram/xyz, but I'd like to have reasonable hardware. I'd be be fine with the Classic if it had z30 specs. And to be honest, compared to in-market wp/android devices around $450 that would be already quite outdated. Delivering z10/q10 cpu/gpu for such a price is in my opinion just a cheek. Classic is perhaps the device with the highest margin one can buy because the hardware is so old and the price so high. But BB users who want "traditional" hardware have no choice, don't they? Mr Chen knows that...
    12-05-14 04:09 PM
    I don't think it makes sense to name just the categories "don't know anything" "keeping up with latest android phone".
    I'd see myself as somebody who doesn't need the latest cpu/ram/xyz, but I'd like to have reasonable hardware. I'd be be fine with the Classic if it had z30 specs. And to be honest, compared to in-market wp/android devices around $450 that would be already quite outdated. Delivering z10/q10 cpu/gpu for such a price is in my opinion just a cheek. Classic is perhaps the device with the highest margin one can buy because the hardware is so old and the price so high. But BB users who want "traditional" hardware have no choice, don't they? Mr Chen knows that...
    But... your name is Maxxxpower...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-05-14 04:39 PM
    There aren't two categories, you are backing yourself into a corner. There are many types of people, with different needs.

I just want a smooth, stable experience, similar to the iPhone or newer Android versions. (4.2+)

I do not want my phone to lag when I have 10+ tabs open, or have it randomly restart. It should not take a minute to boot up a phone.

Specs matter to a point, they don't have to be the latest but they cannot be the same specs as older devices.
    limabo and mfurman like this.
    12-05-14 05:04 PM
    Octacore 4K rendering

Z10
    12-05-14 05:14 PM
    Go back to apples "user experience" arguments of a few years ago before they decided to enter the spec war.

Tl;dr... specs guide your perception of a item regardless of how it actually works.

Or reference why a car with lower specs can be faster etc than one with more- the horsepower wars.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 05:21 PM
    I would like to ask those who emphasize "user experience" over specifications to give me one example of a current smart phone that costs more than $400 and uses 2-3 old SoC or CPU.
    12-05-14 06:19 PM
    Just preordered Classic. GL 2 touchscreen users & NE future tyypos.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-05-14 10:49 PM
    I think people are upset that BlackBerry is over-charging for the BlackBerry Classic for mediocre specs (when alternative phones with similar specs that can do way more cost way less), there is no true upgraded version of the Q10 (It's just a keyboard attached to a Q10), and the lack of removable battery & lower PPI. With that said, that's the price you pay for staying with BlackBerry and wanting a keyboard phone.

BlackBerry is pretty ****ty as a company though and somewhat irresponsible. You can't put your phone for sale and then not list what the phone consists of especially when it's like 500 dollars. You also can't expect people to just trust BlackBerry when it has a history of sort messing up. You cannot rely on hardware reliability after the Q10 double tying issue mess & BlackBerry never even acknowledging it even though it was massively common. At the same time that's the free market and the lack of professionalism has put BlackBerry in last place. However I'd like to note that no other rival competition has a keyboard smart phone. If you want a keyboard, shut up and buy it or accept that most phone companies just accept keyboard phones as the only option. I have mixed feelings.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    12-06-14 02:38 AM
    But... your name is Maxxxpower...
    I changed my avatar to clarify why
    decoy713 likes this.
    12-06-14 05:01 AM
    They can list it without telling you the specs and that exactly what they did.

I think people are upset that BlackBerry is over-charging for the BlackBerry Classic for mediocre specs (when alternative phones with similar specs that can do way more cost way less),
    there is no true upgraded version of the Q10 (It's just a keyboard attached to a Q10), and the lack of removable battery & lower PPI. With that said, that's the price you pay for staying with BlackBerry and wanting a keyboard phone.

BlackBerry is pretty ****ty as a company though and somewhat irresponsible. You can't put your phone for sale and then not list what the phone consists of especially when it's like 500 dollars. You also can't expect people to just trust BlackBerry when it has a history of sort messing up. You cannot rely on hardware reliability after the Q10 double tying issue mess & BlackBerry never even acknowledging it even though it was massively common. At the same time that's the free market and the lack of professionalism has put BlackBerry in last place. However I'd like to note that no other rival competition has a keyboard smart phone. If you want a keyboard, shut up and buy it or accept that most phone companies just accept keyboard phones as the only option. I have mixed feelings.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 09:03 AM
    Well, if you don't like the price and specs, just don't buy it.

Classic is designed for people who don't even know what GHz means, who found the new gesture system less favorable than the conventional BlackBerry keyboard + tool belt combos. They are the people who probably used BlackBerry for the longest... and you know what that means... that means they are usually financially secure, high up in whatever structure they are in, less likely to learn new things and wants things stay the way they were.

They are the old school guys who cares more about the form of Classic instead of internal specs... And let's face it, $499 is only priced as mid-tier devices, the flagship are usually $800-1000 now.

I will definitely NOT buy one but I think BlackBerry priced it just right. If you see it as unfairly priced, that only means you are not the targeted audience.

The biggest change BlackBerry has gone through is, they are not building iPhone killers anymore. They are not pleasing everyone but focusing on niche groups. Classic is for one of these niche groups, the volume is not going to high, the margin has to be higher than those phones appealing to mainstream.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    Lefty724 and bungaboy like this.
    12-06-14 09:40 AM
    A device with more RAM/GHZ does more. Developers build programs that need more storage space, more RAM and a fast processor. My phone beats my Win95 computer for sure! Now it is logical that some specs are needed. However, there is a limit... like the MP of a cam. Unless someone wants to print out a big poster, noone really needs a 20MP cam do we? But hey, if a phone is released tomorrow with this specs, the queue will be endless!! That's how some care about specs!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.932; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    12-06-14 10:01 AM
    What annoys me is the idea that it's not aimed for people who wants good specs.

Well, that is just plain stupid for them to do because it should be aimed at people who want a physical keyboard and a toolbelt.

Some within that group will why higher specs than others. But why must a physical keyboard and a tool belt be exclusive of good specs?

Posted via CB10
    jkomo001 and mfurman like this.
    12-06-14 10:17 AM
    Is Samsung The Next BlackBerry? - BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY), IHS Inc. (NYSE:IHS) | Benzinga

SAMSUNG ELECT LTD mobile business declined 74 percent in the third quarter, highlighting the company's ongoing struggle at retail. Is this a sign of things to come?

"In their current shape and form, every indication is that Samsung is going to be the next BlackBerry Ltd BBRY 2.01% and Nokia," Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry told Benzinga.

IHS Technology IHS 1.56% Senior Analyst Daniel Gleeson said that this is a "danger" that Samsung and other manufacturers need to recognize.

"It's something that's not just affecting Samsung," said Gleeson. "If you look at Sony, HTC, LG -- they're all under fierce, incredible pressure just simply to generate profits and to break even. Samsung has a bit more of a cushion than the others, but it's something that affects all of them because they're being pressured at the top-end from Apple, who has now come out with those larger phones."
    Specs Are A 'Recipe For Disaster'

Chowdhry warned that Samsung needs more than upgraded specs if it wants to survive.

"Specs, by itself, is a recipe for a disaster," said Chowdhry. "That is the fundamental problem of Samsung. I don't think you can take specs in isolation."

Instead, Chowdhry thinks that Samsung should focus on software -- but not necessarily the OS.

"Everybody is doing Lollipop, so what is unique?" Chowdhry questioned. "What is Samsung's differentiation? Can you remember the last time you went to the store to buy a phone and asked for technical specifications?"
    12-06-14 10:31 AM
    I'll put it this way for me.

I'm looking for a new laptop that I want to handle a couple years if not 4 or 5 years of updates etc. Maybe 5 years is stretching it. So I care about specs as I don't want to have to buy a new one in 2 years just because my current one can't handle something or doesn't handle it well.

If I buy a low spec laptop today, one that is already out of date compared what is available today. It may run fine but be a little slower. In 2 years the low spec may run like crap. So I'm purchasing the best I can now to try and offset having to buy another in a year or two. Granted most people don't keep their smartphones that long but I see people on here talk about the Z30 running faster/better than the Z10. Same for passport>Z30.
    limabo likes this.
    12-06-14 10:35 AM
    What annoys me is the idea that it's not aimed for people who wants good specs.

Well, that is just plain stupid for them to do because it should be aimed at people who want a physical keyboard and a toolbelt.

Some within that group will why higher specs than others. But why must a physical keyboard and a tool belt be exclusive of good specs?

Posted via CB10
    No PKB+tool belt is not exclusive of good specs, but the overlapping demographic is just too small... it sucks to be in the minority of minorities.

BlackBerry could meet your request by lower their profit margin and pack more bang for your buck, but that will only increase their sale volume by a little bit, and divide thin the sales for their flagship product, would you do that?

Yeah I wish we all get what we want from Santa this Christmas, but BlackBerry is no Santa.

And where is my Z50?!

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-06-14 10:43 AM
    I'll put it this way for me.

I'm looking for a new laptop that I want to handle a couple years if not 4 or 5 years of updates etc. Maybe 5 years is stretching it. So I care about specs as I don't want to have to buy a new one in 2 years just because my current one can't handle something or doesn't handle it well.

If I buy a low spec laptop today, one that is already out of date compared what is available today. It may run fine but be a little slower. In 2 years the low spec may run like crap. So I'm purchasing the best I can now to try and offset having to buy another in a year or two. Granted most people don't keep their smartphones that long but I see people on here talk about the Z30 running faster/better than the Z10. Same for passport>Z30.
    You can upgrade your "dated" laptop easily by adding RAM and SSD to improve performance, no?
    12-06-14 10:57 AM
    You can upgrade your "dated" laptop easily by adding RAM and SSD to improve performance, no?
    Some. Kinda of pointing as to why some want better specs on phones, you can't add those things to a phone so easily. Also I notice a big difference between using an i3 as compared to an i7 computer using the same stuff. The i3 seems so slow.
    mfurman likes this.
    12-06-14 11:05 AM
    Better Ram by itself won't do miracles, and even a SSD just means read times will be faster, not processing times, and the price per gb for SSD is pretty high. I personally prefer normal hdd's simply because it's far too expensive to go SSD. And the capacities are much less as well.

12-06-14 02:43 PM
    Better Ram by itself won't do miracles, and even a SSD just means read times will be faster, not processing times, and the price per gb for SSD is pretty high. I personally prefer normal hdd's simply because it's far too expensive to go SSD. And the capacities are much less as well.

If you stream HD video or even 24/192 HD audio files, the speed of SSD matters. It all depends on what you need the device for.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-06-14 03:09 PM
    Not to say some things don't operate fine with less specs. I think for me I just like getting the latest available when buying computers. So far I haven't done that with my phones even though they are computers.
    12-06-14 03:24 PM
48 12