I have a Classic, bought unlocked from Amazon, running on AT&T and a weak LTE signal at work is killing my battery...12% drop in 2 hours while it's just sitting on my desk.

Is there anyway to toggle off LTE?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:19 PM
    Try:
    Settings/Networks and Connections/Mobile Network/Network Technology/See if there is more options on the drop down you can try.

However, if it's just that the Classic can't get a good signal, period, then you may have to come up with another plan.
    If you can go without a "phone", switch it to Airplane Mode. That way it won't keep running down the battery fighting for a signal.
    Frehley likes this.
    01-02-15 02:34 PM
    I have a question, is gsm /2g the best battery friendly?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:57 PM
    It's definitely lte? There's an app called 'taskmanager' which is great for killing pesky android apps if you're running any. Some of those suck a ton of juice

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:57 PM
    Ooh you're on AT&T? I think they lock the ability to drop down to a lower network, even through escreens.
    Frehley likes this.
    01-02-15 02:58 PM
    Settings/Networks and Connections/Mobile Network/Network Mode

You can change it from LTE to either 4G/3G etc. My Z10 eats battery when on 4G at home so I switch it to 2G. Works like a charm and I get an extra hour of battery life.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:59 PM
    I have a Classic, bought unlocked from Amazon, running on AT&T and a weak LTE signal at work is killing my battery...12% drop in 2 hours while it's just sitting on my desk.

Is there anyway to toggle off LTE?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted via CB10
    I'm with Fido/Rogers and my Classic was having the same issue. I switched my network selection mode from Automatic to Manual scan and it seems to have helped a bit so maybe try that?

Posted via CB10
    Frehley likes this.
    01-02-15 03:05 PM
    Really? LTE and 4G can cause battery drain downs even if minimal data is being transmitted (like sitting on a desk idle)?
    01-02-15 03:13 PM
    next week I'll be using my classic with atnt.So i'll see how it goes
    01-02-15 03:18 PM
    Really? LTE and 4G can cause battery drain downs even if minimal data is being transmitted (like sitting on a desk idle)?
    it depends if he using some android apps he did not say
    01-02-15 03:19 PM
    Yes. If the phone is constantly searching for a (distant) LTE tower to latch onto, this activity alone can be bad for battery life.
    Frehley likes this.
    01-02-15 03:28 PM
    Ooh you're on AT&T? I think they lock the ability to drop down to a lower network, even through escreens.
    Does that mean those in a similar position are stuck between airplane mode and finding better reception?
    01-02-15 03:33 PM
    From the home screen pull down the menu by swipping from top to bottom. Tap the square mobile connection icon for instant toggle.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:40 PM
    it depends if he using some android apps he did not say
    No Android apps loaded. Also, I have no option to drop down to a lower network. As raino said, it appears that AT&T disables that option.
    Last edited by Frehley; 01-02-15 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    01-02-15 03:43 PM
    It's definitely lte? There's an app called 'taskmanager' which is great for killing pesky android apps if you're running any. Some of those suck a ton of juice

Posted via CB10
    Not running any Android apps, definitely LTE.
    01-02-15 03:44 PM
    Does that mean those in a similar position are stuck between airplane mode and turning the device off?
    That would be an extreme solution, but yes. A middle ground solution that might be appealing to some would be to turn on airplane mode (to kill all signals,) then manually turn on WiFi so that you have at least some connectivity. And then turn on the cellular radio when absolutely necessary.

But remember, this is a problem for a very specific population--those whose phones are constantly searching for an LTE signal because their carrier won't allow them to change networks. AFAIK, that's only AT&T. The only other equivalent I can think of would be if you're underground for long periods of time (like, say, in the London metro system.) IOW, LTE isn't necessarily the culprit--it's the lack of coverage.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-02-15 03:45 PM
    Can you turn off data?
    Weak LTE signal killing my battery-img_20150102_164620.png

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:46 PM
    Does that mean those in a similar position are stuck between airplane mode and finding better reception?
    No. You also have the option to turn off data and use it for calls only + find a WiFi signal.

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-02-15 03:51 PM
    Can you turn off data?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150102_164620.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	324911

Posted via CB10
    I do have the option of turning off data. If I turn data off, won't that result in only the phone operating...no email or internet?

I do not have the Network Mode or Network Selection Mode options available on my AT&T device.
    01-02-15 03:52 PM
    I live in an area where we have LTE but while it's turned on I see it switch from LTE to H and back again. When that happens I do notice extra battery drain. I did the change to just have 3G and problem solved.

Posted via CB10 on the FrankUnderwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-02-15 03:54 PM
    Put it on the 2G/GSM only. And if/or when you don't need data toggle off the data. So you will have best battery life.

When you need data or, more precisely speed data, you may turn on 3g or 4g, if the signal is good.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:55 PM
    If you have poor signal and no one else around you has poor signal, I suggest getting the phone replaced. I'm going through something like this with my passport at the moment. Waiting to get a new one to test and see if it's hardware.
    01-02-15 03:58 PM
    Put it on the 2G/GSM only. And if/or when you don't need data toggle off the data. So you will have best battery life.

When you need data or, more precisely speed data, you may turn on 3g or 4g, if the signal is good.

I do not have the option to switch down to a lower network...guess it's AT&T's way of MAKING us use LTE.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:59 PM
    I do have the option of turning off data. If I turn data off, won't that result in only the phone operating...no email or internet?

I do not have the Network Mode or Network Selection Mode options available on my AT&T device.
    You said you wanted to toggle off LTE.. so yes it will disable email and Internet. Alternative is a WiFi connection + voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 04:02 PM
    You said you wanted to toggle off LTE.. so yes it will disable email and Internet. Alternative is a WiFi connection + voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, but I guess that I'm stuck...shoddy WiFi at work in many spots that I'm in.
    01-02-15 04:08 PM
55 123