According to specs (but unfortunately not to price), Classic is a successor for Curve/Q5 devices. So, we need a device for Bold/Q10 owners. Passport is way too large. Classic has mediocre specs and is overpriced. John Chen, do you have anything for us?
    12-04-14 01:45 AM
    Excuse me OP, but the Classic and the Q10 share mostly the same hardware, plus the Keyboard is the BOLD-Q10 keyboard we've known to love. Curve materials, hardware and separated letters keyboard are NOT on the Classic.
    12-04-14 02:00 AM
    Excuse me OP, but the Classic and the Q10 share mostly the same hardware, plus the Keyboard is the BOLD-Q10 keyboard we've known to love. Curve materials, hardware and separated letters keyboard are NOT on the Classic.
    Same hardware, different time. It's like selling a PC now with specs equal to one sold 2 years ago and calling it an upgrade. Actually, it's exactly like that...
    12-04-14 02:13 AM
    Same hardware, different time. It's like selling a PC now with specs equal to one sold 2 years ago and calling it an upgrade. Actually, it's exactly like that...
    Actually. It's exactly what Apple does so why not? The point of the Classic is not specs but the TOOLBELT. Which is kind of lame and just making the crybabies happy. Soo upgrade it is. Now if the successor to the Z30 comes with same specs then that would be the same as your PC theory as both will be slabs.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 02:24 AM
    I feel the classic is still an upgrade regardless of specs

Battery: 415mAh (increase)
    Screen: 0.36" inch (increase)
    Addition of a Tool-belt

Other than that, according to leaked specs. It's a Q10 under the hood. So it's almost like you painted the car, put some new rims on, and put a sun roof in

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    momofteme and ponpiri like this.
    12-04-14 03:21 AM
    Classic is like Q10 on crack. And as we all know, cracks aren't cheap. That's an upgrade to me.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-04-14 04:28 AM
    If you read all the stuff BlackBerry marketing is releasing regarding the Classic, you'll notice it actually is your typical Bold successor. There is not a single word about how great this device is for any existent BB10 users. BlackBerry always talks about huge jumps in hardware, multiple times better performance and an improved app catalogue - also thanks to Amazon. Yet all this only compared to legacy OS7 Bold and Curve users. If you'd upgrade from a 9790 you'll be really surprised and pleased by the new browser performance for sure. As an existing Q10/Q5 user? Not so much, because there won't be any improvement besides software (10.3.1) related stuff.

This also means there is no real Q10 successor for now, maybe the Passport, but it isn't actually marketed as one and, I am pretty sure of that, it really isn't meant to be one either due to the drastically different formfactor.

Does this make the Classic better? No, because by just looking at pure specs and the additional price you have to pay for the little upgrades, it still seems like some sort of rip-off. If a Bold user wants the exact same improvement in performance, he could've already got it with one of the Qs. He especially can get it right now for almost 1/3 less than the Classic! Of course they'll miss the toolbelt....

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 05:13 AM
    However classic is larger over all..isn't it? both screen and body are larger compaired to Q10....

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 06:44 AM
    According to specs (but unfortunately not to price), Classic is a successor for Curve/Q5 devices. So, we need a device for Bold/Q10 owners. Passport is way too large. Classic has mediocre specs and is overpriced. John Chen, do you have anything for us?
    YES! I want a real 'Classic' phone. With removable battery, higher specs and premium materials, not the cheap Z10 style backdoor.
    12-04-14 06:50 AM
    Curve materials,
    Like plastics backside?

hardware
    3 year old CPU/GPU/camera?

are NOT on the Classic.
    Obviously, they are.
    fatboyp and Q10Bold like this.
    12-04-14 11:18 AM
    If you want a Bold / Q10 successor, I'm afraid you'll have to go for the Classic for now.
    I don't think there will be a new full qwerty bold like device with toolbelt coming up in 2015. Maybe later, but that's just speculation.

Why do the specs matter that much though? Those devices are all about the form factor and BlackBerry productivity - that's why people still buy the 9900.
    12-04-14 02:34 PM
    If you want a Bold / Q10 successor, I'm afraid you'll have to go for the Classic for now.
    I don't think there will be a new full qwerty bold like device with toolbelt coming up in 2015. Maybe later, but that's just speculation.

Why do the specs matter that much though? Those devices are all about the form factor and BlackBerry productivity - that's why people still buy the 9900.
    Then we should just be happy with the same specs forever?

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-04-14 03:06 PM
    Actually. It's exactly what Apple does so why not? The point of the Classic is not specs but the TOOLBELT. Which is kind of lame and just making the crybabies happy. Soo upgrade it is. Now if the successor to the Z30 comes with same specs then that would be the same as your PC theory as both will be slabs.

Posted via CB10
    Apple upgrades their SoC to a great extent for each generation actually. Specs on paper, like clock speed or etc. doesn't matter, but the quality of SoC does. Toolbelt alone does not worths 500 bucks of extra expenditure.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 03:13 PM
    Then we should just be happy with the same specs forever?

Certainly not, but what can we do for now? You can go with the Passport for the specs or with the Classic for the toolbelt or whatever. These are the options right now. I'm sure there will follow up some more, and I'm sure this isn't the last full qwerty phone with a toolbelt we will see, so be patient. BlackBerry isn't going to change their lineup or roadmap because of some CrackBerry posts.
    12-04-14 03:18 PM
    Certainly not, but what can we do for now? You can go with the Passport for the specs or with the Classic for the toolbelt or whatever. These are the options right now. I'm sure there will follow up some more, and I'm sure this isn't the last full qwerty phone with a toolbelt we will see, so be patient. BlackBerry isn't going to change their lineup or roadmap because of some CrackBerry posts.
    Changes are not made due to lack of complaints or suggestions...

12-04-14 03:33 PM
    I keep wondering why they've done that - it's very frustrating and insulting.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 03:39 PM
    Looks like to me they just recycled parts from the q10 and z10 that didn't sell

say NO to... Android / IOS / Windows
    Lefty724 likes this.
    12-04-14 03:54 PM
    Changes are not made due to lack of complaints or suggestions...

I absolutely see the point, but why whining around here? This is the device we've got for now so we have to deal with that. And I'm sure most of the target audience for this phone won't care too much about the specs.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    12-04-14 03:54 PM
    I absolutely see the point, but why whining around here? This is the device we've got for now so we have to deal with that. And I'm sure most of the target audience for this phone won't care too much about the specs.
    Stating facts and opinions is not whining even if you don't agree with them, unfortunately... And if everyone simply just accepted whatever is released and decided, then progress will simply grind to a halt, but hey, if you don't care, then don't care. Simple as that.

12-04-14 03:57 PM
    Looks like to me they just recycled parts from the q10 and z10 that didn't sell
    That's exactly what I thought. I am curious whether Classics will have the same complete mainboard as Q10
    And I'm sure most of the target audience for this phone won't care too much about the specs.
    I am sure the phone needs a big price drop to even get a target audience
    12-04-14 04:05 PM
    I posted a thread about this exact issue and, at least from my perspective, BlackBerry will probably not be continuing the Q10's legacy.

Think about it: BBRY is streamlining their market offering to play on their strengths -- productivity and security. JC (John Chen, not Jesus) said so himself. It's a lean and focused BlackBerry.

That means enterprise first, consumers second. Currently, Q10ers like myself aren't exactly thrilled about the Classic specifically because of specs. Otherwise, there's no Q10 user who is adamantly against having a toolbelt. Some are a little annoyed, but we won't be staging protests.

What does this mean? BBRY will probably be paring down the product line to:

- Passport lineage -- the unique concept flagships for the high-end 'Berry addicts.

- Classic lineage -- the worker and mid-tier user base. One camp of toolbelt and QWERTY.

- Touch lineage -- one touch-centric paradigm. This will bring in the BYOD enthusiasts who are loyal but want full-touch. It will also fuel the R&D for the OS' development for the other products.

- Enterprise suites -- MDM, cloud security, enterprise UC (unified communication) tech to compete against GoToMeeting, Webex, Lync, etc.

- IoT -- skeptical, but potentially building the backbone platform for all future "smart" objects: wearables, cars, appliances, etc. [Currently "Project Ion"]

Just my $0.05 (they eliminated the penny in Canada, so my "two cents" doesn't apply anymore!)

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    12-04-14 08:01 PM
    Well I am one of the ones that's perfectly happy with my Q10....a tool belt would make it perfect! I think the Classic will fit my needs just perfect. The Q10 specs are all I need for me to be happy.

I know this is a discussion board and all but if you don't like the specs of the Classic, just buy a Passport and move on? Pretty easy imo.

Not sure why all hate towards the Classic and its specs.
    12-04-14 08:49 PM
    I know this is a discussion board and all but if you don't like the specs of the Classic, just buy a Passport and move on? Pretty easy imo.
    It sounds simple in theory, but when you actually see the size of that thing and try typing on it's awkward keyboard (what's with the space bar?!), I don't think it's a simple "if you don't like the Classic, then the Passport's for you". It's kind-of like saying that if you don't like your tablet options, you should get a laptop. Not really apples-to-apples.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 08:44 AM
    I agree with you to a point...I never thought about size being a factor here, which is also a problem.

My point being if you're after specs, then go Passport and be done with it....

If you want specs and a good size, then maybe the Z30 (never had one) would be the way to go?

Again, all I want is a Q10 with a tool belt. I don't care about specs, camera, etc... I also think that $449 is a great price considering how nice the Q10 is/was, especially with the addition of the tool belt.

This Classic will be my main phone for personal and business use and I think it's priced fair for what you get?
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    12-05-14 09:11 AM
    I agree with you to a point...I never thought about size being a factor here, which is also a problem.

My point being if you're after specs, then go Passport and be done with it....

If you want specs and a good size, then maybe the Z30 (never had one) would be the way to go?

Again, all I want is a Q10 with a tool belt. I don't care about specs, camera, etc... I also think that $449 is a great price considering how nice the Q10 is/was, especially with the addition of the tool belt.

This Classic will be my main phone for personal and business use and I think it's priced fair for what you get?
    What about specs, a good size, keyboard, and toolbelt? SOL right? Oh well, maybe Classic 2...

12-05-14 10:05 AM
30 12