I was wondering, would the physical keyboard and buttons make waterproofing the phone impossible? As in making the phone itself waterproof like the S5 or the S4 Active.

That's one feature I would love to see.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-30-14 09:11 PM
    Of course I meant water resistant, nothing is really water "proof" lol.

03-30-14 09:12 PM
    Probably not, as innovation these days is just insane... but I cant wait for the day I can bring my phone with me and text at the bottom of the pool!
    nappp likes this.
    03-30-14 09:24 PM
    Well, not too concerned about actually using it, just don't want to be concerned about it getting messed up if I'm caught in an unexpected rain storm or something...

03-30-14 10:06 PM
    They could do it but they probably won't.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 11:05 PM
    They could do it but they probably won't.

Posted via CB10
    They should. If it's one thing that we should have learned in today's market is that gimmicks actually work on the people now. And this gimmick is actually a useful one... So I wish they would at least have this one "make a cool commercial" feature...
    03-30-14 11:22 PM
    Check these guys out. They made waves at CES last year IIRC: Liquipel | Watersafe™ Technology
    03-31-14 12:05 AM
    Check these guys out. They made waves at CES last year IIRC: Liquipel | Watersafe„ Technology
    Awesome, I wonder if the coating will feel different or anything. And does it also treat your battery?? I'm not sure how that works...
    03-31-14 01:22 AM
    I've always believed that RIM could have reinforced its business workhorse image with a ruggedized model. Of course, they've spent the last five years running from their own image so...
    04-10-14 09:06 AM
    I don't think they keys are really the weak spot in waterproofing, since they already use a membrane underneath them. The real issue are the ports. I guess you can partially address it with rubber plugs, but that's prone to user error.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:14 AM
    Out of all the "look at the cool stuff this phone can do" gimmicks you see from these Android phone commercials, this one would definitely be useful for productivity and I hope they implement it. Imagine relying on your phone for your business transactions and one day you are walking to your car and get caught in a sudden rain storm before you could protect your phone it is completely soaked. It would be great if this isn't even a concern at all...

04-10-14 10:30 AM
    My understanding is that it adds considerable to the cost of a device ($50-75) and is considered more trouble then its worth. The people I know who need that kind of protection usually opt for truly water proof case. (which also costs a bundle).
    04-10-14 12:55 PM
    My understanding is that it adds considerable to the cost of a device ($50-75) and is considered more trouble then its worth. The people I know who need that kind of protection usually opt for truly water proof case. (which also costs a bundle).
    No bulky cases for me...

And you never know you need it until you do...

04-10-14 01:10 PM
    Look up liquidpel so Yea it is possible.
    04-11-14 09:55 AM
    Look up liquidpel so Yea it is possible.
    Yah, someone else mentioned that and it looks cool. But it doesn't make it so you can keep using the phone, it is just that it won't destroy your phone. They tell you to still take the battery out and dry the phone before using it again. I wish BB would make a phone that is really water resistant where it can be submerged, and you can simply take it out of the water and continue using it. That would be cool.

I'm definitely considering sending in my phone to get treated by liquipel though. :-)

04-11-14 10:34 AM
    I live on the coast. This come up often for all kinds of electronics.
    I advise against it When you seal a device it tends to over heat.
    Depends the your environment. If you get your phone treated let us know how that turns out.
    04-11-14 11:41 AM
    What about coating it with neverwet?

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 11:49 AM
    I live on the coast. This come up often for all kinds of electronics.
    I advise against it When you seal a device it tends to over heat.
    Depends the your environment. If you get your phone treated let us know how that turns out.
    It doesn't "seal" it like it puts a plastic wrap over. Rather it adds a microscopic layer to everything (even internally) so that nothing conducts outside of it. So it wouldn't affect how it heats up or dissipates heat, it's pretty much invisible to the user in every way. So it shouldn't affect that.
    04-11-14 02:28 PM
    Everytime I go to the gym I have this thought "man I would love to have my BlackBerry waterproof", well mainly because gym for me in the hidromassage :P

Anyway, I would buy either a phone or very slim case for BlackBerry to provide waterproof
    04-20-14 07:40 AM
    I would get my daughter a water proof phone. Cheaper than buying a new phone. 2 have gone into the washer and one spent time in a soaking wet jacket pocket.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 03:59 PM