My Blackberry Classic fell in the toilet a couple days ago. I tried putting it in rice, but I think it's a goner.

I'm hoping that Asurion still has some Blackberry Classics and can replace my device (anyone know if they've run out yet since Blackberry stopped making the Classic last year?? I have Verizon as my carrier.)

Assuming that I can get a replacement phone, will my SIM card and SD card be transferred to the new phone and my new phone will be all set up just like the old one? Are my SIM card and SD card backed up somehow so that I won't lose all of my pictures and videos?? My phone won't turn on at all, so I really want to know what can be retrieved and what is gone forever. What about text messages...will those be transferred to my new device? Please help!
    12-07-17 10:45 AM
    My Blackberry Classic fell in the toilet a couple days ago. I tried putting it in rice, but I think it's a goner.

I'm hoping that Asurion still has some Blackberry Classics and can replace my device (anyone know if they've run out yet since Blackberry stopped making the Classic last year?? I have Verizon as my carrier.)

Assuming that I can get a replacement phone, will my SIM card and SD card be transferred to the new phone and my new phone will be all set up just like the old one? Are my SIM card and SD card backed up somehow so that I won't lose all of my pictures and videos?? My phone won't turn on at all, so I really want to know what can be retrieved and what is gone forever. What about text messages...will those be transferred to my new device? Please help!
    Ask them for a KEYone..... LOL
    12-07-17 10:54 AM
    Would they carry an unlocked KEYone for Verizon? Verizon isn't carrying the KEYone. I was really excited about the KEYone coming out until I figured out that Verizon wasn't going to sell it.

Assuming I can get a KEYone, what, if anything, will be able to be transferred from my ruined Classic? Tell me some good news!!
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    12-07-17 11:06 AM
    Would they carry an unlocked KEYone for Verizon? Verizon isn't carrying the KEYone. I was really excited about the KEYone coming out until I figured out that Verizon wasn't going to sell it.

Assuming I can get a KEYone, what, if anything, will be able to be transferred from my ruined Classic? Tell me some good news!!
    If your SD is undamaged and not encrypted, connect it to a PC and see what you can transfer off of it. Internal memory is toast, though. There is no automatic backup provision on BB10 like there is on Android/iOS, unless you set up Box photo sync with the Box app, in which case your photos would be on your Box cloud account.

The Classic SIM and the KEYone SIM are the same size, so provided the SIM itself hasn't been damaged it should carry over.
    12-07-17 11:12 AM
    Would they be able to remove the SD and SIM at the Verizon store and transfer anything on the SD to my new device? I don't know how the Classic opens up and want to leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I apologize, but what information is on the SIM? All of my friends with other carriers always talked about their SIM cards and it seemed like they could just put the SIM in a new device and everything transferred over, but I've never understood what it did with Verizon phones. Pictures and video would be saved to the SD. Are text messages usually saved to the device or would they be on the SD or SIM? Whenever I transferred from my Blackberry Bold to my Blackberry Classic, I was surprised to find that all of my text messages moved over, too, and I didn't know if that was something backed up from my Google account or my Blackberry ID or SIM or SD or what.
    12-07-17 11:29 AM
    Would they be able to remove the SD and SIM at the Verizon store and transfer anything on the SD to my new device? I don't know how the Classic opens up and want to leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I apologize, but what information is on the SIM? All of my friends with other carriers always talked about their SIM cards and it seemed like they could just put the SIM in a new device and everything transferred over, but I've never understood what it did with Verizon phones. Pictures and video would be saved to the SD. Are text messages usually saved to the device or would they be on the SD or SIM? Whenever I transferred from my Blackberry Bold to my Blackberry Classic, I was surprised to find that all of my text messages moved over, too, and I didn't know if that was something backed up from my Google account or my Blackberry ID or SIM or SD or what.
    If you have the SIM eject tool that comes with most phones, or an unfolded paperclip, you can open up the SIM and SD trays yourself: https://help.blackberry.com/en/black...009575688.html

Texts were in the device memory, backing them up such that they could be usable or at least readable on other platforms would have required a dedicated app. When you moved from your Bold to your Classic you were probably using some device switch app, which would include transferring texts from the old device's database to the new device's database.

For Verizon's purposes the SIM is used for LTE access, with sub-LTE speeds using device-based CDMA. There is the option to save contacts to the SIM, but that's very limited and as far as I can tell seen mostly in SIMs grandfathered in from a time before email-based contacts were a thing.
    12-07-17 11:34 AM
    Yes, it was a device switch app in the setup section of the phone! If I get a new Blackberry, will I be able to use that app even though my Classic is dead? Would the device switch app have been a Blackberry app and only worked when switching between Blackberry's, or a Verizon app that would have worked no matter what device I was switching to?

Thank you so much for all your help!!
    12-07-17 11:41 AM
    Yes, it was a device switch app in the setup section of the phone! If I get a new Blackberry, will I be able to use that app even though my Classic is dead? Would the device switch app have been a Blackberry app and only worked when switching between Blackberry's, or a Verizon app that would have worked no matter what device I was switching to?

Thank you so much for all your help!!
    Device switch apps only work if both the old device and new device work; since your Classic won't boot, device switch won't help you.
    12-07-17 11:43 AM
    I pulled out the SIM and SD and saw a drop of water on the SD card. It was on the top, not the little metal bit, so I'm hoping that can be saved.

Since it seems like my phone isn't completely dry, should I let it dry longer and then try again to turn it on or is it likely ruined? Can I take any more of it apart to check for damage? How does the battery come out?
    12-07-17 12:04 PM
    Can I take any more of it apart to check for damage? How does the battery come out?
    The back cover comes off, once off the battery is visible.

There is a membrane that holds the battery in, pull on the removal tab and the battery comes out.
    12-07-17 10:12 PM
    If you are taking it apart anyway to remove the battery, I'd recommend stripping it as much as you can, then hosing the whole thing down with electronic contact cleaner, before drying it out again. This should help to minimise mineral and other deposits left behind by the water, which might otherwise cause your phone to die unexpectedly at some point henceforth...

Posted via CB10
    12-08-17 03:07 AM
    How do I remove the back cover? I was able to get the SIM and SD out, but don't know how to take it apart from there.
    12-08-17 09:24 AM
    If you are taking it apart anyway to remove the battery, I'd recommend stripping it as much as you can, then hosing the whole thing down with electronic contact cleaner, before drying it out again. This should help to minimise mineral and other deposits left behind by the water, which might otherwise cause your phone to die unexpectedly at some point henceforth...

Posted via CB10
    So even though my phone currently won't turn on, are you saying that it might not be a goner just yet?
    12-08-17 09:25 AM
    Ask them for a KEYone..... LOL
    Apparently Verizon didn't automatically add device protection when I upgraded to the Classic a few years ago, even though I'd had it on my last several devices, and never asked me if I wanted insurance on it, so now I get to pay full price for a new phone if I want to keep my beloved BlackBerry.

Do you recommend the KEYone? It seems like it might be the ideal successor to my Classic.
    12-08-17 09:38 AM
    I'm hoping that Asurion still has some Blackberry Classics and can replace my device (anyone know if they've run out yet since Blackberry stopped making the Classic last year??
    BB stopped making the Classic (as in, manufacturing) in Jan or Feb of 2015. Most of the manufacturing run occurred prior the release of the device (Dec 2014).
    12-08-17 11:33 PM
    So even though my phone currently won't turn on, are you saying that it might not be a goner just yet?
    It will take days/weeks to dry out properly. Placing the components in a paper bag somewhere warm and totally dry like an airing cupboard, will help. If you tried to power it up wet, there's a fair chance of having shorted something and the battery or phone may be dead.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-17 06:04 AM
    How do I remove the back cover? I was able to get the SIM and SD out, but don't know how to take it apart from there.
    IIRC it just unsnaps - use a plastic pry tool. Remove the screws and the bezel will come off.

There is also a cover plate at the bottom of the keyboard that comes off - there are 2 screws underneath it.

There is a video on YouTube of a Classic teardown, where she butchers the battery removal. Just need to pull the large white tab.
    12-13-17 08:04 PM