Why is the warranty support not attached to the device itself?

Why in most cases the warranty is attached to the device, meaning you don't have to provide proof of purchase to get service, but in blackberry's case, warranty is through the Point of sale (aside from amazon / shop blackberry)? Buy a 3month old iPhone on craigslist, you get service from apple, but if you buy a classic / passport, they treat you like a criminal. Please provide proof of purchase, a picture of you holding the device at the store and signatures of two witnesses... I want to be able to call support, give them my pin and get service, rather than get the third degree.

Ridiculous, especially given some questionable quality concerns...

End of rant.
    03-17-15 10:26 AM
    For phones purchased through a carrier, the warranty goes through the carrier. The carrier should be able to look up when the phone was purchased.
    03-17-15 11:26 AM
    The warranty support is bad. I hope my device doesn't malfunction, I won't send it back to BlackBerry, will sell my phone 'as is' or throw it in the trash. This is not apple care, with stores at your local mall to swap devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 11:46 AM
    The warranty support is bad. I hope my device doesn't malfunction, I won't send it back to BlackBerry, will sell my phone 'as is' or throw it in the trash. This is not apple care, with stores at your local mall to swap devices.

Posted via CB10
    Really bad.
    I bought my passport via amazon in december.. amazon basically says I had til the end of January (30 days) to return or exchange and my other options are to sell my device or trade it in..?

It started double typing in February and I've been trying (not very hard mind you) to figure out how to get my phone fixed etc

Contacted BlackBerry, they told me to contact amazon, amazon told me "too late" (but the device has a 1yr manufacturers warranty, so I have no idea why it says 30 days)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    03-17-15 12:27 PM
    This is not apple care, with stores at your local mall to swap devices.
    Apple has the best warranty in the business, bar none.
    03-17-15 01:00 PM
    Really bad.
    I bought my passport via amazon in december.. amazon basically says I had til the end of January (30 days) to return or exchange and my other options are to sell my device or trade it in..?

It started double typing in February and I've been trying (not very hard mind you) to figure out how to get my phone fixed etc

Contacted BlackBerry, they told me to contact amazon, amazon told me "too late" (but the device has a 1yr manufacturers warranty, so I have no idea why it says 30 days)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ BBM. Now on Android and iPhone.
    This is the first thing bb should fix. It should cost nothing to contact them on your own and stand behind the mfg warranty no matter where it was purchased. Most if not all companies do this and if they don't the point of purchase replaces it with a new one.
    03-17-15 01:05 PM
    Here is what happened, a friend bought an ATT passport from ebay and it malfunctioned. Called ATT and they told him since it was not purchased at an ATT store but from a national "retailer" he can't get service, even though it is an ATT branded phone - just ridiculous. I get it that it's not apple where they give you another phone on the spot. Fine have the people send em out and find their own back up to use in the meantime. But warranty the device for the actual stated 1yr warranty.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-17-15 01:09 PM
    BB should buy all the Target Leases and take a small % of foot space and rent out the rest to fitness centers,monster gym,ect.. then we would have a place to go at least in Canada,hell prem could even open a few Keg Resturants in the deal,haha I know they got rid of their real estate but that was stuff in waterloo,no better time to load up on available locations.All the funds own those centers anyway so it's like protecting each other,right?
    03-17-15 01:23 PM
    Apple has the best warranty in the business, bar none.
    I agree, have heard of out of warranty iphones getting replaced with new ones. I use all apple products except my phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 02:48 PM
    That sucks that the process has been so annoying for you. I agree that you shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get something fixed.

I actually had a pretty positive experience - it was purchased through Amazon though. I got a Passport as a gift through, and at about 31 days in, i noticed that there was a mark underneath the screen. I contacted Amazon and they said that even though it was over the 30 days, they would let me return it for a full refund. I couldn't just swap it though, because i wasn't the original purchaser. I didn't want to be without my phone, so i called BlackBerry and explained the situation. I told them that i have been a long time BlackBerry user so i already tried reloading software, performing diagnostic tests, etc..., and that it was definitely a hardware defect. The rep didn't ask for any proof of purchase, and sent me out a replacement. He DID take my credit card though, to put a temporary hold on it, which will be released when I send the defective one back.
    03-17-15 03:06 PM
    BlackBerry has always used the carriers for support and warranty services. Saves BlackBerry money, something they need to do these days. It was a very efficient system for BlackBerry but put a burden on the carriers, yet another reason many of the carriers abandoned BlackBerry. Sure, falling market share was primary, but the costs of support and service also added up.

When I had issues with BlackBerrys on both Sprint and Verizon it was always simple to get a replacement device if something got borked. In fact, most reps are so eager to get a BlackBerry customer out the door they simply acquiesce and hand you a new replacement unit without really delving into the issue. As long as the BlackBerry didn't look like it got run over by a truck that is.
    03-17-15 03:17 PM
    I think it is hard to tell why BlackBerry warranty works the way it does. I can only imagine this: Since BlackBerry is rather enterprise oriented anyways, most businesses will get their phones via carrier or at least larger sellers anyways, rather than getting them through small business channels. So those sources will do the warranty services.

For an individual customer, that can be quite a problem for sure. However I have to sate I haven't had any real problems with it as of now. Last year I claimed warranty for my roughly 18 months old Q10 due to double-typing. I bought the phone via an online retailer. I contacted them, sent the phone to their warranty department, they checked it and sent it over to BlackBerry. A whopping eight months without a replacement phone, the retailer received a new Q10 in my box from BlackBerry and sent it over to me. I was happy they replaced the phone entirely and didn't ask any questions, yet an eight week service time is very poor at best. Fortunatly I still had my Lumia 1020 to use while the Q was away.

A more friendly way for customers surely would include a less "proof of buy" solution, especially for international customers. I would never buy a BlackBerry in another country, as I fear warranty will be quite an issue then. If I bought a BlackBerry device with a legit serial number which again is capable for any warranty service, I shouldn't proof to anyone where and when I bought the phone. I also shouldn't need to contact several sources just to claim my warranty - I should be able to simply contact a warranty department of BlackBerry and get my device serviced.

I am not even asking for an Apple-like service here, BlackBerry isn't in the position anymore to afford such a "luxury". Nokia also had a great service system many years back here in Germany, today not much is left of this, yet warranty claims for Nokia/Microsoft is still way better than handling BlackBerry. Here you can only hope you bought the 'Berry from a decent source like Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 04:32 PM
    Really bad.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    I contacted Amazon more than 2 months after I bought the Classic, they didn't even ask me if there was something wrong with it, I mentioned wanting to open a service ticket with BlackBerry.com (it kept giving me an error saying my phone wasn't purchased through Amazon even though it was) and they immediately sent me a return label to send the phone in for a full refund...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-17-15 05:56 PM
    I am not sure what yall are doing wrong. My Passport starting having a mic issue (bought from shopbb) I contacted support by email, got a ticket number and a phone call within 12 hours. BlackBerry sent me RMA label and box I shipped it to them they had it for 10 days. They fixed it and repaired all the scratches free of charge and mailed it back. The cost was 0, they did offer to send me a new device before I even shipped the other back at full retail but would credit me if mine was repair able. So bottom line is my phone was 4 months old and the service was top notch.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 06:09 PM
    Apple service would be nice. I wish BB was really good about warranty services. So far, my best experiences with customer service have been with Asus, Amazon, Newegg, Kingston, and maybe some others I can't think of right now... Even AT&T has given me really good customer service so far actually...

03-17-15 06:22 PM
    I am not sure what yall are doing wrong. My Passport starting having a mic issue (bought from shopbb) I contacted support by email, got a ticket number and a phone call within 12 hours. BlackBerry sent me RMA label and box I shipped it to them they had it for 10 days. They fixed it and repaired all the scratches free of charge and mailed it back. The cost was 0, they did offer to send me a new device before I even shipped the other back at full retail but would credit me if mine was repair able. So bottom line is my phone was 4 months old and the service was top notch.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody is doing anything wrong, you got lucky. When a company has that many horror stories, it's not the people, it's the company. Even the worst company will do some things right every now and then. What are the sayings, a broken clock is right twice a day? Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while?

03-17-15 06:25 PM
    I contacted Amazon more than 2 months after I bought the Classic, they didn't even ask me if there was something wrong with it, I mentioned wanting to open a service ticket with BlackBerry.com (it kept giving me an error saying my phone wasn't purchased through Amazon even though it was) and they immediately sent me a return label to send the phone in for a full refund...

How did you go about contacting them?

Warranty Support-img_20150317_194911_edit.png

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    03-17-15 06:52 PM
    How did you go about contacting them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150317_194911_edit.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	342045

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    From their website, help, then contact us, and chose chat.

nah.uhh likes this.
    03-18-15 09:53 AM
    The new BlackBerry Care service seems to go along the lines of Apple Care, with next day device replacement (for the cost of the deductible - which is $99 for a Classic), so for $5 a month, it gives me peace of mind, as well as ill have a BlackBerry Classic for a long time to come.
    03-18-15 04:46 PM
    From their website, help, then contact us, and chose chat.

Thanks boss, that worked out perfectly. Should have my replacement by Friday.
    Was my first time dealing with amazon for warranty support and using the contact us form made is extremely painless.

slagman5 likes this.
    03-18-15 05:19 PM
    Thanks boss, that worked out perfectly. Should have my replacement by Friday.
    Was my first time dealing with amazon for warranty support and using the contact us form made is extremely painless.

Keep dealing with Amazon and get used to that. :-) They are awesome.

03-18-15 05:37 PM
    I am dealing with this issue now OP. I purchased a slightly used Classic off Kijiji of a guy who also bought it used. Was in great shape, purchased it and used it for a couple weeks and then it now doesn't power on(I have a thread on this). Guy I purchased from can't get a hold of previous owner of it and phone was unlocked when he bought it so I don't know where to go. Ending up tweeting @blackberryhelp and no help yet. I can't believe their website says to contact your carrier or tweet @blackberryhelp. That's it? That is all the help I get? Ridiculous. Where is the phone number to call??? That Classic is pretty much a paper weight in my drawer, ended up paying full price for a new one with my carrier for one as my replacement. Still not sure how to get my old Classic fixed?

I understand I have no receipt, but if the factory warranty is 1 year and the product has not even been out a year, IMO I should be covered anyways.
    03-18-15 05:47 PM
    I am dealing with this issue now OP. I purchased a slightly used Classic off Kijiji of a guy who also bought it used. Was in great shape, purchased it and used it for a couple weeks and then it now doesn't power on(I have a thread on this). Guy I purchased from can't get a hold of previous owner of it and phone was unlocked when he bought it so I don't know where to go. Ending up tweeting @blackberryhelp and no help yet. I can't believe their website says to contact your carrier or tweet @blackberryhelp. That's it? That is all the help I get? Ridiculous. Where is the phone number to call??? That Classic is pretty much a paper weight in my drawer, ended up paying full price for a new one with my carrier for one as my replacement. Still not sure how to get my old Classic fixed?

I understand I have no receipt, but if the factory warranty is 1 year and the product has not even been out a year, IMO I should be covered anyways.
    Yes, it should be, it sucks they do not provide better customer service. I like the company and want to support them, but they have to really look into improving their customer service experience. It would help make loyal customers in my opinion...

03-18-15 06:10 PM

If you bought trough Amazon the 30 day warranty is to return or replace the device trough Amazon itself.

If you contacted shopblackberry CS they will do nothing for you, instead you need to contact BlackBerry directly and ask for a warranty claim, they will evaluate and decide if you need a repair or replacement device.
    03-18-15 06:15 PM
    If you bought trough Amazon the 30 day warranty is to return or replace the device trough Amazon itself.

If you contacted shopblackberry CS they will do nothing for you, instead you need to contact BlackBerry directly and ask for a warranty claim, they will evaluate and decide if you need a repair or replacement device.
    No need, he contacted Amazon, this time speaking to a customer service rep, and they are replacing the phone for him easy peasy.

03-18-15 06:25 PM
33 12