Hi Dean, yeah, i haven't had much to say. I really love my Classic and truly hope BB10.3.1 will continue it's maturing. Can't wait to put in my .02 for a swappable batt in Classic 2. Looking like i'll get shouted down anyway but gotta try. That 10AH batt looks like a real horse! We're trying smaller versions and might have to settle on something like that but it's nowhere near handy like simply popping in a fresh batt and restoring to 100% in three minutes. Oh well. Signal plays big on batt life... dunno what yours is but, as you know, we frequently spend all day in an industrial environment with next to no signal. Our batt life suffers.
    Nice to see your post.

I tried one of those 2.6mAh chargers the problem is the Classic's battery is to big for a 2.6mAh charger. So I exchanged it for this monster. I was using a cheap imitation leather holster, but the stitching was coming apart so I bought a Seidio Surface Case and Holster. Since the holster came from UK and I bought it on Ebay it cost more for postage than I paid for it. The Anker fits in the holster. Little to big to wear on your belt so I just use it as a case.

Coming from the 99 it takes awhile to use to the Classic and BB10.

We were right about the removable battery, charging contacts and more RAM.

Oh well at least I don't have to pull the battery because the phone is locked up.

The inefficiency of the BB10 Hub has actually forced me to look for alternatives to sharing my social accounts. I'm now using Hootsuite on my PC with Gnewsreader and Hootsuite Apps on my phone. So

I tried one of those 2.6mAh chargers the problem is the Classic's battery is to big for a 2.6mAh charger. So I exchanged it for this monster. I was using a cheap imitation leather holster, but the stitching was coming apart so I bought a Seidio Surface Case and Holster. Since the holster came from UK and I bought it on Ebay it cost more for postage than I paid for it. The Anker fits in the holster. Little to big to wear on your belt so I just use it as a case.

Oh well at least I don't have to pull the battery because the phone is locked up.

The inefficiency of the BB10 Hub has actually forced me to look for alternatives to sharing my social accounts. I'm now using Hootsuite on my PC with Gnewsreader and Hootsuite Apps on my phone. So I'm getting 4-5x more (150-200+/day) tweets per account by using RSS feeds and bulk messages scheduling. Amazing!

So the bad did me good!

Q? Are you able to use this new phone one handed?
    My hands are small and the weight is more than I feel comfortable with.

Q? Your IT guy did some research on changing the the CPU on the 99. Any new news?
    PM me his name and email address I will set up a custom email address for him.
    i.e. [email protected]

If you find a smaller battery that works let me know.

BTW the coiled 90 degree USB cord is cool.

Dean
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 03-22-15 at 06:10 PM.
    03-22-15 05:46 PM
    Nice to see your post.

The inefficiency of the BB10 Hub has actually forced me to look for alternatives to sharing my social accounts. I'm now using Hootsuite on my PC with Gnewsreader and Hootsuite Apps on my phone. So I'm getting 4-5x more (150-200+/day) tweets per account by using RSS feeds and bulk messages scheduling. Amazing!

So the bad did me good!

Q? Your IT guy did some research on changing the the CPU on the 99. Any new news?
    i.e. [email protected]

Dean

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 06:04 PM
    Nice to see your post.

So the bad did me good!

Dean

Posted via CB10
    A few in the office have complained about the Classic's size but they seem to get along ok. We're still monitoring productivity stats and learning curve leveled off impressively. Thanks to the TB. They exceeded our best Z and Q stats within the first week, thanks to the Trackpad. Still haven't caught up with 99s but closing in. That coiled cord might prove helpful with the "brick batts", as we've started calling them. lol.

Also, we're distracted with a new plant startup so back to 99's till we build comfort or decide where we're going. I.T. is still pushing for that awful Casio... Ahrg!!! Fortunately, i still have a little pull with management...

Edit: BTW, That "cpu" idea wasn't IT but a couple of our "smart guys". Had merit, IMO, but it's been shelved for now. Time's always the issue...
    03-22-15 06:14 PM
    A few in the office have complained about the Classic's size but they seem to get along ok. We're still monitoring productivity stats and learning curve leveled off impressively. Thanks to the TB. They exceeded our best Z and Q stats within the first week, thanks to the Trackpad. Still haven't caught up with 99s but closing in. That coiled cord might prove helpful with the "brick batts", as we've started calling them. lol.

Also, we're distracted with a new plant startup so back to 99's till we build comfort or decide where we're going. I.T. is still pushing for that awful Casio... Ahrg!!! Fortunately, i still have a little pull with management...
    i.e. [email protected]

Re: 90 degree cord on Amazon $6.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP4KFJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    03-22-15 06:18 PM
    i.e. [email protected]

Re: 90 degree cord on Amazon $6.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP4KFJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Yeah, i added an edit above. Those guys have shelved the idea but haven't canned it altogether. I'll check with them and management and see if we can send you contact info.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-22-15 06:25 PM
    Believe me, we HAVE explored this to extreme. Our use is extreme and i understand that BB is focusing on less extreme users. Much of our daily time is spent in an industrial environment where cell signals are very weak. Batt life suffers. We use our devices as spreadsheet editors for QC validating terminations in newly fabricated control panels, as one example. This activity involves physically contacting the conductor label itself using one hand while entering spreadsheet data with the other hand and then physically running along the conductor to document the other end. A level of dexterity most humans are rarely asked to do. 12 hr days are standard fare, for us. Unless i get stuck supervising double shifts where "cat naps" are the sleep i get. There's no doubt we can "get by" with all sorts of cables, etc but we have competition and productivity is a factor. Appendages and wires on the devices impact productivity in well documented ways. We've been using 9900s, and 9650s before that, to GREAT success. Our year long experiment with the Z, and then the Q, led us right back to 9900 but the swappable battery became essential to keeping the devices powered without tethering and without appendages. We all keep spare batts in our pockets, in chargers on our desks, at home, in autos... our break room has at least a dozen of the things on the table as well as charging cradles... all for 9900. I can't recall when the last time my 99 was plugged into usb and really see no advantage over simply swapping a batt and restoring the device back to 100% in 3 minutes while preserving it's OEM form factor. The Classic has potential to replace the 9900, productivity wise, IF we can find a good way to get power into it without interfering with the users dexterity. There are other examples but this one itself, i think, should explain my situation well enough.

I totally understand that most ppl don't use their device this way. But that's where we're at.
    You make a good case for it, imo. Classic isn't the pro phone people were hoping for.

I'd love to see another BlackBerry with a removable battery. I have been using the 4400mha Mugen battery in my Q10. It's bulky, but gets me 3.5 days on average. That's medium use.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 08:00 PM
    I find removable batteries cumbersome and inefficient. It's based to carry a portable charger with you. I have a flat one thats a little bit bigger than the bold 9900 I can plug it in and talk on it while on the go and leave it in my jeans to charge or on a table.
    03-22-15 08:33 PM
    You don't need charging contacts. BlackBerry already sells a charging dock since the micro USB is now on the bottom of the device. It works better and your device fits much more securely. In addition, non-removable batteries are preferred because it allows a device to be thinner, have a larger capacity battery, does not make your device restart spontaneously when your phone moves around and doesn't require back doors which eventually come loose leading to squeaky phones with poor quality.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by thanasi; 03-22-15 at 09:34 PM.
    03-22-15 08:46 PM
    You don't need charging contacts. BlackBerry already sells a charging dock since the micro USB is now on the bottom of the device. It works better and your device fits much more securely. In addition, non-removable batteries are preferred because it allows a device to be thinner, have a larger capacity battery, does not make your device restart spontaneously when your phone moves around and doesn't require back doors which eventually come loose leading to poor squeaky phones with poor quality.

Posted via CB10
    Qi wireless charging is the better option for a dock.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 08:55 PM
    You don't need charging contacts. BlackBerry already sells a charging dock since the micro USB is now on the bottom of the device. It works better and your device fits much more securely. In addition, non-removable batteries are preferred because it allows a device to be thinner, have a larger capacity battery, does not make your device restart spontaneously when your phone moves around and doesn't require back doors which eventually come loose leading to squeaky phones with poor quality.

Posted via CB10
    I never had an issue with loose doors on the 9XXX models. On some of my Q10's, yes, not quite as tight and built with larger tolerances, it would seem.

As for thinner is better, I am in the opposite camp. For example picking up a thin phone, such as an iPhone 6 of a table is more challenging than it should be. Note, I seldom if ever use a case on my phones. So, I think the Q10 is a good thickness.
    03-22-15 10:05 PM
    Oh the drama! Thanks for the entertaining post.
    I have the battery pack for my Classic (which I have never had to use by the way). But on one of those 24 work days all I would have to do is plug it in and I would be able to continue making those mega million deals. Easy peasy.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    Yeah, well, that's really helpful. Thanks. You should really try using what you recommend at least once. The "mega million deal" was a trouble shooting marathon for a client with a down production plant. Ever clean thermoplastic polymer out of injection molding equipment after it cools off? Not so "Easy peasy". Not so entertaining, either. Especially while roaming room to room seeking the relevant prints while a stupid device dies on a frantic client. The previous 14 hrs were spent in an industrial environment where signal was very weak and only opportunity for tethering during breaks... IF i wasn't on the phone during breaks. Yeah, really entertaining. You're welcome.

Edit: BTW, i had one of those battery packs. It was as dead as the phone when i finally got time to plug them in. I guess i should have at least two. I have considered two phones. Lotsa things can be MADE to work. Always swapped batts in my 99 at bedtime to keep it ready to go through the night.
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-22-15 at 11:11 PM.
    03-22-15 10:45 PM
    My boss has the Classic and she has to borrow my charger a couple times a week, I don't need it because I can simply swap the batteries.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 10:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Unless you have been following this debut for the last yea, it's a moot point.

It has been hashed so much it turn out whipped instead of browns.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 10:57 PM

Also make the phone water/dustproof.

Posted via CB10
    THIS is actually a very good point. I don't necessarily need water and dustproofness on mine, but a rugged BlackBerry would be a very good addition to the lineup, designed for the construction and engineering industry. My civil engineer friend is an iPhone user but he prefers his BlackBerry for email instead of the Android issued to him after they got off the old BES. After all a BlackBerry is about business, right?
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 11:27 PM
    If it means a smaller battery to account for the hardware required for it I'll skip asking for that. In fact, I'll participate to express that if it at all means a smaller battery to allow for that then I'm against it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-22-15 11:50 PM
    Priority is for making the phone water/dust proof and slightly improved specs and camera. And an even larger battery would be nice. If they can make it removeable, great, if making it removeable means a smaller battery, then no.

03-22-15 11:52 PM
    If they can make it removeable, great, if making it removeable means a smaller battery, then no.
    But with a removable battery you can swap the battery, with a fixed battery you are left with juggling the phone and battery pack for hours.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 11:58 PM
    But with a removable battery you can swap the battery, with a fixed battery you are left with juggling the phone and battery pack for hours.

Posted via CB10
    Or just neither, my phone lasts all day on one charge. No fumbling with a battery pack, no fumbling with spare batteries.

03-23-15 12:07 AM
    Or just neither, my phone lasts all day on one charge.
    So you never:

A) Fall asleep before putting your phone on charge
    B) Have to use your phone as a hotspot for an extended period
    C) Take a flight and use your phone for an extended period
    D) Forget to take your charger when traveling to job site/city/hotel
    E) Have to create a lengthy report or presentation from your phone

You're never in any of those situations? Are you aware how awkward it is to use your phone when a battery brick is connected to it?

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-23-15 12:23 AM
    Priority is for making the phone water/dust proof and slightly improved specs and camera. And an even larger battery would be nice. If they can make it removeable, great, if making it removeable means a smaller battery, then no.

+1000 for a ruggedized BlackBerry! Well past due.

Removeable should mean ability to fit larger, aftermarket. I'd LOVE to fit my Classic with a 3600mAH monster like using in my 99. I, for one, have little interest in the thinness craze. Others disagree, i guess.
    03-23-15 04:29 AM
    Weak signal areas also drain batts quickly. Never heard it officially confirmed but side by side in-house comparison with Z30 seems to indicate Classic didn't get Paratek configuration....??? If not, i'd like to add that to the Classic 2 list.
    03-23-15 04:44 AM
    So you never:

You're never in any of those situations? Are you aware how awkward it is to use your phone when a battery brick is connected to it?

Posted via CB10
    A-i have so many chargers at this point, if I'm near one and the phone is below 20%, I plug it in. I can't imagine if I then fell asleep on the couch that I'd wake up, unplug it and then not plug it back in when I move to the bedroom. I guess this is a case-by-case thing.

B- if I did, I'd plug it in during the Hotspot hosting. If it was a regular thing I'd always bring a charger with me.

C- if I flew more and I was going to consume media on this device, or work from it(ideally I'd buy a laptop/tablet), then I'd probably invest in a large external battery.

D- I have never done this, but I have never been rushed to travel. And if I was traveling a lot, I'd definitely have a laptop with me and I'd make sure I had a usb cable at the least.

E- have not had to do that yet. My company actually doesn't want us using our personal phones for work.

With all those situations it seems forgetfulness is the limiting factor. What's to stop you from forgetting a spare battery?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by krugbot; 03-23-15 at 07:22 AM.
    03-23-15 06:52 AM
    So you never:

Posted via CB10
    A)...sorry, but I've never fallen asleep before preparing for a nights sleep, which includes plugging my phone in. Once I enter the bed....even if I'm still using the phone...it's charging.

B) the hotspot is probably the main reason why you'd drain your battery pre-maturely. In which case yo should connect to an external charger at that time since you're most likely not walking, you're sitting somewhere (where there is no access to electricity) with your other...larger device using the hotspot. And if the larger device is a laptop, use it to top off your phone.

C) if you are on a flight, you should just use some other device that you've brought with you...tablet, laptop etc. Don't run down your precious resources in your phone on a plane when you can't make any calls or texta anyway, and it's basically rendered a wifi tablet.

D) Sorry, again, there is just no excuse for this. When I travel, I have a go bag that goes everywhere. It has multiple chargers and cables in it. There is no way I'm getting into a hotel bed without a charger next to it....I'll run out to to a store and buy one if I have to.

E) Again, if this is the case, plug it in. But there are so many pieces of electronics with us, you can always keep your phone fresh for communications while you use your tablet, etc.

As a traveler, I realize the most important thing with me is a phone. In fact I carry not one, but two back up phones in case something happens.

And, I also plan carefully when using my phones battery....even when I had a spare 9900 battery. If it's a long travel day....up at 4am, etc, I plug in once I get to the rental car or hotel or closest plug. The key is, when ever you have an opportunity to grab some extra juice....do it.
    03-23-15 08:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how powerful the battery is. Some will charge up the phone to a significant level in a half hour. Juggling is a bit of an overstatement. The fixed battery can be in your pocket with a cable coming out, and you can plug into it while you are texting, calling, etc, and unplug at will.
    03-23-15 08:11 AM
    Depends on how powerful the battery is. Some will charge up the phone to a significant level in a half hour. Juggling is a bit of an overstatement. The fixed battery can be in your pocket with a cable coming out, and you can plug into it while you are texting, calling, etc, and unplug at will.
    Personally, and I don't own an external battery pack, I'd rather go that route versus a removable battery. The fluidity of simply plugging in the phone rather than the hassle of shutting the phone down, swapping batteries and waiting for the phone to boot and initialize itself would outweigh the inconvenience of carrying a pack around. But hey, if you're carrying a spare battery everywhere, a slightly larger charging pack can't really be that much of an inconvenience, can it?

All these guys that say "what about when you're in the middle of a report" don't care that their report is interrupted by shutting down and pulling the battery? it's basically uninterrupted workflow and you don't lose your train of thought.
    03-23-15 08:17 AM
102 12345