Yeah, if you miss a night, as too frequently happens with 24/7 professionals, good luck getting power back into the thing the next day while trying to focus on a client's needs. When a client, on the other side of the planet, is loosing thousands of $$$ per minute, he's not very interested in the space or money BlackBerry saved with fixed battery nonsense. He needs my 110% attentive focus and cravenly hunting down power outlets along sidewalks, in cabs, buses, restaurants, bathrooms, etc, etc is an unwelcome distraction. Maybe not so in NYC or LA but not all of us live in the ivory towers of power outlet convenience.

I took my Classic home for over a week and started getting into a routine but one night, 15 minutes after plugging it in, i got one of those calls. It had about an hour left in it before dying. Fortunately, i called him back on the old 99 and got the job done. The Classic is what it is. Many, if not most, won't miss the swappable battery feature. Some do.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    03-22-15 11:55 AM
    I have no idea what you are saying. Only 6 hours......for what?

Why are you asking if I'm a software developer? I simply stated that a full day is simply the minimum that people need as they usually sleep next to a power source (where they charge).
    My battery is only good for 6 hours max not all day.

Guess you are not Redlightoflove

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-22-15 11:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    I also was about to ask him about Snap v3 lol.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2582 CB10
    03-22-15 12:06 PM
    A removable battery is the last thing on a long list of issues I have with the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 12:31 PM
    Yeah, if you miss a night, as too frequently happens with 24/7 professionals, good luck getting power back into the thing the next day while trying to focus on a client's needs. When a client, on the other side of the planet, is loosing thousands of $$$ per minute, he's not very interested in the space or money BlackBerry saved with fixed battery nonsense. He needs my 110% attentive focus and cravenly hunting down power outlets along sidewalks, in cabs, buses, restaurants, bathrooms, etc, etc is an unwelcome distraction. Maybe not so in NYC or LA but not all of us live in the ivory towers of power outlet convenience.

I took my Classic home for over a week and started getting into a routine but one night, 15 minutes after plugging it in, i got one of those calls. It had about an hour left in it before dying. Fortunately, i called him back on the old 99 and got the job done. The Classic is what it is. Many, if not most, won't miss the swappable battery feature. Some do.
    Hello Steve

Have not seen a post from you. Thought maybe you moved to another device.

We heavy user all want a removable battery. I had to use a 10k mAh portable battery as a back up.

Want the next Classic to have a removable battery? Here's your chance-img_20150313_093659.jpg

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    03-22-15 01:07 PM

So... get a battery pack?
    Quit living under a rock man.
    03-22-15 01:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Either something is wrong with your battery or you are using it under extremely stressful conditions. How can others be getting so much more than you otherwise?
    03-22-15 01:46 PM

24/7 professionals? Really? I don't know any people that don't sleep and thus plug in their phones.

And while there might be an occasional long work day, it rarely involves being away from a power source that entire time. And if it does....get a cheap power pack. Done.

As far as your client on the other side of the world exaggeration, it was you who chose not to charge your phone, not BlackBerry.

Your story about plugging in your phone at night, then having to unplug it for more usage (I guess you left the house with it and had no charger in the car?) could happen to ANY PHONE. Do you honestly expect a phone to run all day, then pick it up and using it heavily over night and keep going forever....without charging at all? Don't you have access to power at SOME point? As far as swapping batteries if you are working in the Outback for two straight days.....just get a power pack. End of story.
    03-22-15 01:51 PM
    As previously mentioned, switching to a removable battery has the potential to decrease the capacity (mAh) in order to fit it into the same form factor, or the phone would have to become larger to compensate.

I believe that with the increased availability of external chargers that are compatible with micro USB, it generally makes more sense to purchase one of those to top off your internal battery when needed if you're not able to connect it to a wall outlet. These portable batteries also provide a benefit when you upgrade to a newer handset -- you can continue to use your external battery as long as the handset uses micro USB for charging, versus having to buy another spare battery to carry around.
    03-22-15 01:59 PM

Oh the drama! Thanks for the entertaining post.
    I have the battery pack for my Classic (which I have never had to use by the way). But on one of those 24 work days all I would have to do is plug it in and I would be able to continue making those mega million deals. Easy peasy.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-22-15 02:00 PM
    Makes me thinj about the Android phone with an internal battery plus a removable battery so you can swap on the go.
    03-22-15 02:12 PM

24/7 professionals? Really? I don't know any people that don't sleep and thus plug in their phones.

And while there might be an occasional long work day, it rarely involves being away from a power source that entire time. And if it does....get a cheap power pack. Done.

As far as your client on the other side of the world exaggeration, it was you who chose not to charge your phone, not BlackBerry.

Your story about plugging in your phone at night, then having to unplug it for more usage (I guess you left the house with it and had no charger in the car?) could happen to ANY PHONE. Do you honestly expect a phone to run all day, then pick it up and using it heavily over night and keep going forever....without charging at all? Don't you have access to power at SOME point? As far as swapping batteries if you are working in the Outback for two straight days.....just get a power pack. End of story.
    Have you tried single handed texting with battery pack appendages on the thing? Yes, the wired packs are also cumbersome and unnecessarily distracting. Try actually using the things for hours on end. I freely admit to running down my battpack earlier that day and failing to take time to get it charged. My "choice" not to charge the thing is typically dictated by trying to get work done. That particular experience was the end of a LONG day and beginning of another LONG day. I get that YOU, and most ppl, obviously have time in your 9 to 5 world to tether to a wall. I don't. I accept that and also accept that my firm will probably be forced to move to an awful droid of some kind, once our 99s become unusable. We're just 26 device sales and BB has all the sales it needs so... good luck.
    03-22-15 02:53 PM
    Either something is wrong with your battery or you are using it under extremely stressful conditions. How can others be getting so much more than you otherwise?
    Here is a graph I woke up at 5am. Trust me there is not 13 hours left. Going on the charger now.

Want the next Classic to have a removable battery? Here's your chance-img_20150322_131809.png

Extreme user

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 03:20 PM
    Hello Steve

Have not seen a post from you. Thought maybe you moved to another device.

We heavy user all want a removable battery. I had to use a 10k mAh portable battery as a back up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150313_093659.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	343043

Posted via CB10
    Hi Dean, yeah, i haven't had much to say. I really love my Classic and truly hope BB10.3.1 will continue it's maturing. Can't wait to put in my .02 for a swappable batt in Classic 2. Looking like i'll get shouted down anyway but gotta try. That 10AH batt looks like a real horse! We're trying smaller versions and might have to settle on something like that but it's nowhere near handy like simply popping in a fresh batt and restoring to 100% in three minutes. Oh well. Signal plays big on batt life... dunno what yours is but, as you know, we frequently spend all day in an industrial environment with next to no signal. Our batt life suffers.
    03-22-15 03:33 PM
    Personally, I don't really care for a removable battery as long as it's large enough.

I was super big on removable batteries because in the past I would instantly buy an extended battery with double or triple the capacity to actually get through the day. (12 hrs of medium to heavy use a must). Now rocking a iPhone 6 Plus and by 12 hrs I'm at 30-50% and I always make it home before it can die, which is like 10-12pm if I go out. I'd just like to see BB make the Classic with a 3000-3500 mAh battery and I'm good.
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 03-22-15 at 04:33 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 03:44 PM
    Have you tried single handed texting with battery pack appendages on the thing? Yes, the wired packs are also cumbersome and unnecessarily distracting. Try actually using the things for hours on end.
    I haven't tried single handed texting because I put the power pack in my pocket then just run the wire run to the phone...no different than if it was plugged into a wall.

If your pack is powerful enough you won't need it for hours on end; it will charge it much faster, and you can unplugg while using and plug back in when in between use.

I freely admit to running down my battpack earlier that day and failing to take time to get it charged.
    So then it was a user issue, not a battery issue.

My "choice" not to charge the thing is typically dictated by trying to get work done.
    But don't you have any other devices that let you get your work done? Do you ever sleep?

That particular experience was the end of a LONG day and beginning of another LONG day.
    Yep, I've had those too. I think the point you are making is that is a rare situation....and thus not exactly an example to illustrate your daily activities.

I get that YOU, and most ppl, obviously have time in your 9 to 5 world to tether to a wall. I don't. .
    Ah, and here come the inevitable assumptions and comparisons with no data to support it. I don't live in a 9-5 word at all. My normal work days on site are a minimum of 10 hours before any travelling. Some days are easily 15 hours. Much of those days are on my feet. I get it.

I accept that and also accept that my firm will probably be forced to move to an awful droid of some kind, once our 99s become unusable. We're just 26 device sales and BB has all the sales it needs so... good luck.
    Good luck to you as well. Perhaps look into other methods than switching batteries in and out of the same device all day.
    gokulesh likes this.
    03-22-15 03:51 PM
    Here is a graph I woke up at 5am. Trust me there is not 13 hours left. Going on the charger now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150322_131809.png 
Views:	304 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	343072

Extreme user

Posted via CB10
    I clearly see the problem. You didn't' charge the phone while you were sleeping. So when you woke up at 5am to start your day, your phone was already 25% depleted.

And, if unplugged at 9:22pm, and still have 26% nearly 14 hours later....you're not doing that bad. Perhaps if you aligned your use time with your available charging time you'd easily make it through a day.
    03-22-15 03:55 PM
    Although the battery life is fantastic. I still have to charge it at least once a day.

Posted via CB10
    Are you using your phone while asleep? Charge it when you sleep.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    03-22-15 04:09 PM
    In a perfect world, I would have no issue with removable batteries. There are some advantages to those, no doubt.

But who are these engineers you seek that will somehow come up with the perfect design that BlackBerry couldn't figure out the first time around with the Z10 and Q10, nor all of the other big guys who are almost all switching to fixed batteries after attempting removables?

"Just go design it properly" is a lot easier said than done.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    Blackberry could hire some retired Nokia engineers they produced some excellent designs with removable batteries.
    03-22-15 04:12 PM
    Never can understand why people don't normally charge overnight.
    I understand the exceptional night, but some people seem to enjoy starting a day with 50% battery.
    gokulesh and moyah8 like this.
    03-22-15 04:13 PM
    I haven't tried single handed texting because I put the power pack in my pocket then just run the wire run to the phone...no different than if it was plugged into a wall.

If your pack is powerful enough you won't need it for hours on end; it will charge it much faster, and you can unplugg while using and plug back in when in between use.

So then it was a user issue, not a battery issue.

But don't you have any other devices that let you get your work done? Do you ever sleep?

Yep, I've had those too. I think the point you are making is that is a rare situation....and thus not exactly an example to illustrate your daily activities.

Ah, and here come the inevitable assumptions and comparisons with no data to support it. I don't live in a 9-5 word at all. My normal work days on site are a minimum of 10 hours before any travelling. Some days are easily 15 hours. Much of those days are on my feet. I get it.

Good luck to you as well. Perhaps look into other methods than switching batteries in and out of the same device all day.
    Believe me, we HAVE explored this to extreme. Our use is extreme and i understand that BB is focusing on less extreme users. Much of our daily time is spent in an industrial environment where cell signals are very weak. Batt life suffers. We use our devices as spreadsheet editors for QC validating terminations in newly fabricated control panels, as one example. This activity involves physically contacting the conductor label itself using one hand while entering spreadsheet data with the other hand and then physically running along the conductor to document the other end. A level of dexterity most humans are rarely asked to do. 12 hr days are standard fare, for us. Unless i get stuck supervising double shifts where "cat naps" are the sleep i get. There's no doubt we can "get by" with all sorts of cables, etc but we have competition and productivity is a factor. Appendages and wires on the devices impact productivity in well documented ways. We've been using 9900s, and 9650s before that, to GREAT success. Our year long experiment with the Z, and then the Q, led us right back to 9900 but the swappable battery became essential to keeping the devices powered without tethering and without appendages. We all keep spare batts in our pockets, in chargers on our desks, at home, in autos... our break room has at least a dozen of the things on the table as well as charging cradles... all for 9900. I can't recall when the last time my 99 was plugged into usb and really see no advantage over simply swapping a batt and restoring the device back to 100% in 3 minutes while preserving it's OEM form factor. The Classic has potential to replace the 9900, productivity wise, IF we can find a good way to get power into it without interfering with the users dexterity. There are other examples but this one itself, i think, should explain my situation well enough.

I totally understand that most ppl don't use their device this way. But that's where we're at.
    Plazmic Flame and Mack Gans like this.
    03-22-15 04:32 PM
    Charging overnight is a must for anyone who might be having doubts about doing this. The phones are now designed to "trickle-charge" once they get close to and get to 100% charge. We're talking 0.01 amps being drawn. Will not destroy your battery as some myths may state.
    03-22-15 04:35 PM
    Believe me, we HAVE explored this to extreme. Our use is extreme and i understand that BB is focusing on less extreme users. Much of our daily time is spent in an industrial environment where cell signals are very weak. Batt life suffers. We use our devices as spreadsheet editors for QC validating terminations in newly fabricated control panels, as one example. This activity involves physically contacting the conductor label itself using one hand while entering spreadsheet data with the other hand and then physically running along the conductor to document the other end. A level of dexterity most humans are rarely asked to do. 12 hr days are standard fare, for us. Unless i get stuck supervising double shifts where "cat naps" are the sleep i get. There's no doubt we can "get by" with all sorts of cables, etc but we have competition and productivity is a factor. Appendages and wires on the devices impact productivity in well documented ways. We've been using 9900s, and 9650s before that, to GREAT success. Our year long experiment with the Z, and then the Q, led us right back to 9900 but the swappable battery became essential to keeping the devices powered without tethering and without appendages. We all keep spare batts in our pockets, in chargers on our desks, at home, in autos... our break room has at least a dozen of the things on the table as well as charging cradles... all for 9900. I can't recall when the last time my 99 was plugged into usb and really see no advantage over simply swapping a batt and restoring the device back to 100% in 3 minutes while preserving it's OEM form factor. The Classic has potential to replace the 9900, productivity wise, IF we can find a good way to get power into it without interfering with the users dexterity. There are other examples but this one itself, i think, should explain my situation well enough.

I totally understand that most ppl don't use their device this way. But that's where we're at.
    That is certainly extreme. Not sure I understand it all, but it sounds intense.

I don't think BB is focusing less on extreme users, I think.....as another poster also points out....that they are trying to get more life per battery into the device, which means non-user changeable. You are certainly pushing the extremes and the endless one handed use is clearly the issue. Perhaps someone could invent something like a Mophie for the Classic, or perhaps a generic Mophie for phones with a bottom mounted usb.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-22-15 04:44 PM
    As previously mentioned, switching to a removable battery has the potential to decrease the capacity (mAh) in order to fit it into the same form factor, or the phone would have to become larger to compensate.

I believe that with the increased availability of external chargers that are compatible with micro USB, it generally makes more sense to purchase one of those to top off your internal battery when needed if you're not able to connect it to a wall outlet. These portable batteries also provide a benefit when you upgrade to a newer handset -- you can continue to use your external battery as long as the handset uses micro USB for charging, versus having to buy another spare battery to carry around.
    I think for some people, those are valid comments. However, the non-removeable battery is one of a couple of reasons why I haven't switched to the Classic. Unfortunately, the portable batteries are not as convenient as the flat 9XXX or Q battery as the form factor is terrible.

The other day, I needed two battery changes. The form factor of the Q10 battery means it fits easily into a pocket: flat, rectangular. Similar to a stack of business cards. Take out a fresh battery, switch and keep moving. Then when finally in the hotel, use the battery charger pack option and good to go the next day.
    idssteve and hlg8888 like this.
    03-22-15 05:25 PM
    That is certainly extreme. Not sure I understand it all, but it sounds intense.

I don't think BB is focusing less on extreme users, I think.....as another poster also points out....that they are trying to get more life per battery into the device, which means non-user changeable. You are certainly pushing the extremes and the endless one handed use is clearly the issue. Perhaps someone could invent something like a Mophie for the Classic, or perhaps a generic Mophie for phones with a bottom mounted usb.
    Yeah, our fab guys have built several versions of a "charging case" that we might live with, if nothing better. I guess the question of BB's motives here seem to boil down to two criteria, imo. Size and price.

Price is self explanatory. Pretty easy to see where fixed battery is cheaper to implement. There are times when the pennies saved are irrelevant to the end use, however.

Size is also self explanatory. Especially when LiPo heat rejection sinking and sidewall expansion are considered. I, for one, just don't see the advantage of razor thin devices. I, personally, find slightly thicker devices easier to handle. Fitting a 3600mAH aftermarket into our 9900s makes the device EASIER to grasp, IMO. Obviously, others disagree. That said, adding length to the device with an external battery appendage seems counter productive to the assumed motive for making the device thin to begin with. IMO.

Oh well, i'm just excited that BB is taking the time to actually ask for input. I'll probably get voted down but at least hava say.

Edit: BTW, if Tamil Nadu isn't on the other side of the planet, it's close. No exaggeration intended. Point being it's daytime there when night time here. "The sun never sets on our client base."
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-22-15 at 05:55 PM.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    03-22-15 05:26 PM
102 1234 ...