Announcing the BlackBerry Classic Insider Event

On March 31st and April 1st we will be hosting a BlackBerry Classic Insider Event within the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Throughout this event you’ll be able to submit any questions you have the about the BlackBerry Classic and get feedback from our insiders

The insiders joining us over this two-day period will be:

Michael Clewley, Director, Handheld Software Product Management
    Michael Dawson, Senior Product Manager
    David Willis, Senior Director, Handheld Product Management
    Full Article

If enough BlackBerry users request a removable battery for the next Classic, it might happen. It happened with the LG G 3, they brought the removable battery back!

So visit the site on March 31 and let's be heard!

EDIT:

The BlackBerry forum page for the Insider Event is now up.

Insider Event Forum Link

Answer from BlackBerry:

There were 2 contributing factors to the choice of a non-removable battery:

It allowed for a larger battery size, while keeping the device slimmer. About 15% more battery capacity was available through the use of the non-removable battery at any given thickness, allowing for longer life without the need to either recharge or swap batteries.

With the trend towards multiple devices (phones, tablets, accessories) we have seen emergence of dedicated external battery packs to replace per-device removable batteries. Users who previously would have purchased additional batteries were tending towards these solutions that can be used across multiple devices (concurrently and/or over time) and that can deliver power without the need for battery replacement and a device restart.

The BlackBerry Classic battery stands up very well against the competition. The BlackBerry Classic contains a sizeable 2515 mAh battery and state of the art power optimization software, which delivers up to 22 hours of battery power (based on mixed use). Plus the power optimization software allows user to boost battery life by up to 15%, simply by customizing your Power Saving Profile.
    Last edited by Mack Gans; 03-31-15 at 11:58 AM.
    jope28, idssteve, moyah8 and 2 others like this.
    03-21-15 02:47 AM
    Great.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 03:32 AM
    Full Article

If enough BlackBerry users request a removable battery for the next Classic, it might happen. It happened with the LG G 3, they brought the removable battery back!

So visit the site on March 31 and let's be heard!
    Thanks for this. It's great that they're doing that.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2582 CB10
    03-21-15 08:06 AM
    This is a great info. I really love my BB. Though I'm the only BB user in my firm. I absolutely cannot stand a handheld without the battery removable feaature. This is a must feature!!!
    03-21-15 08:19 AM
    Sorry. What was that? I was just busy helping people in a few other threads with loose battery contact and random reboots.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    03-21-15 08:30 AM
    Sorry. What was that? I was just busy helping people in a few other threads with loose battery contact and random reboots.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    Not designing it properly shouldn't be what makes them not use a removable battery. How about designing it properly! like many other manufacturers have in the past, or be innovative and come up with a solution to the implementation. That's a thought.
    They have engineers, don't they?

I remember seeing the same kind of comments about physical keyboards when the double typing issues on the Q10 were first starting to flood the forums. The solution isn't to abolish physical KB, but to actually fix the design and make it work.

I just hope BlackBerry never takes away my option to have a BlackBerry with removable battery, Micro-SD card and physical keyboard. Apple and now Samsung with their S6 have none of those 3 things, I hope BlackBerry doesn't go in that "mainstream" direction.

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2582 CB10
    Last edited by jope28; 03-21-15 at 11:45 AM.
    03-21-15 08:40 AM
    Please don't forget to mention charging contacts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    03-21-15 09:37 AM
    Keep in mind the battery might shrink to fit in a removable form factor.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 11:32 AM
    Keep in mind the battery might shrink to fit in a removable form factor.

Posted via CB10
    Why?

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    03-21-15 11:41 AM
    I haven't been in a position to need a removable battery with my Classic.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    03-21-15 01:24 PM
    Please don't forget to mention charging contacts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    I prefer they make wireless charging standard across the board rather than putting charging contacts.
    will308 likes this.
    03-21-15 01:51 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. Neck deep at work (plant startup) so might miss it but will sure try.

Fixed battery stupidity is a real pain for us. My Classic (and PP) stays charging on the desk when i head out of the office toting 9900 with spare batts in pocket. Still exploring options but... no suitable solution so far.

Also, wanting charging contacts and/or wireless charging, AND accessory keys!! JIC i miss the March 31 opportunity...
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-21-15 07:35 PM
    Not designing it properly shouldn't be what makes them not use a removable battery. How about designing it properly! like many other manufacturers have in the past, or be innovative and come up with a solution to the implementation. That's a thought.
    In a perfect world, I would have no issue with removable batteries. There are some advantages to those, no doubt.

But who are these engineers you seek that will somehow come up with the perfect design that BlackBerry couldn't figure out the first time around with the Z10 and Q10, nor all of the other big guys who are almost all switching to fixed batteries after attempting removables?

"Just go design it properly" is a lot easier said than done.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    03-21-15 09:33 PM
    I understand that the batery might have to shrink to accomodate this feature but I'd still want the flexibility to swap batteries on my own when needed. As I tend to keep my handheld for between 3-4 years. I dont like the idea of sending a handheld to a shop just for the battery change...
    03-21-15 11:17 PM
    The battery seems like such a non issue. After a day of heavy using I still have like 40% left before I charge it at bedtime.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    03-22-15 12:36 AM
    I'd personally like to see them compress the design a bit, keeping approximately the same screen size but giving the phone the dimensions closer to the very trim and portable 9900. At least go back to the Q10 size. As for the battery, consider this- a new SOC could be much more power efficient. Keeping the battery at at least the same size as this first Classic and going with modern hardware could dramatically improve battery life alone.

I also prefer how much more sturdy the Classic feels over phones I've owned with battery covers. In fact the Q10 I own developed a gap in the cover and not only would it slide out a bit, it made clicking noises as I typed. Give them the freedom to keep the battery fixed, and if you are going to vote for a removable one, let's at least get some kind of lock switch for the cover.

Also make the phone water/dustproof.

Posted via CB10
    tjodalv likes this.
    03-22-15 12:48 AM
    In a perfect world, I would have no issue with removable batteries. There are some advantages to those, no doubt.

But who are these engineers you seek that will somehow come up with the perfect design that BlackBerry couldn't figure out the first time around with the Z10 and Q10, nor all of the other big guys who are almost all switching to fixed batteries after attempting removables?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    Hmm... well, you could start with the 9900's design team. That battery configuration is not known for chronic contact issues that i'm aware of. Myself and 25-26 coworkers have subjected 9900s to extreme abuse for well over three years and no one here remembers a single contact failure on that design. The Q's were a sadly different story. "Fixes" via tape, business cards, post it notes, etc indicate a simple dimensional alteration of about .010" might have made all the difference. Something that possibly might have been accomplished at the plant level by selective fitting within production tolerance stack ups?? IDK.

I've checked with management and they're ok with me offering our services to BBRY to assist designing a swappable battery configuration. We have some "similar" experience in that regard and a division in Ontario so... ??? Our experience with smartphone handsets is, however, non-existent. But then "Car Stereo" experience obviously wasn't up to the task, either. lol

Our Classics work in the field only by adding external battery pack appendages to an already over sized footprint. Nearly all of us grab our old, trusty, 9900 when heading out to coordinate a plant startup, for example. A 24/7 marathon that just doesn't permit device downtime needed for the drained "fixed" battery to adequately recover.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    03-22-15 05:12 AM
    Let the Classic 2 have current SOC!!!!!!!!!!!! Removable battery, lol I actually like the hardware of the Classic! The Q10 is too small the Classic keyboard is better

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 PIN:2BFE4937 T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    03-22-15 07:16 AM
    I would like to offer my humble opinion about removable batteries. This was one of the top 5 features I always bragged about when carrying a BlackBerry. Even recently on a trip with with an iZombie I was able to swap batteries in the airport after a long day without wifi and could brag about this as he and other zombies would look for plugs.

However, if I look at this objectively I can say that even though I've (until just recently) been carrying a spare Bold battery in my back pocket with my business cards for years, I've only gone to this backup a few times, and a couple times it didn't work. Now that I have the Classic, the battery is much more robust. Even with a bigger screen, 4G, etc and lots more reasons to use the phone, the battery just keeps going, and I have confidence in it's ability to get me through a long day on the road. BUT, the biggest reason I don't really care as much about a removable battery is that there are now lots of those lipstick size USB batteries that can give you an emergency charge on any device, not just your specific one. While I can't carry this in my back pocket every day, I always have one in my travel bag (or maybe two, they are CHEAP), and they are much less likely to get washed in the laundry like my spare 9900 battery did twice.

I would have to guess that the reason why many companies that used to go with removable batteries have switched to non-removable is that it's easier to design the device without this option, and it also makes it less likely for bad connections (or bad after market batteries themselves) to cause customer issues down the road.
    03-22-15 08:58 AM

I remember seeing the same kind of comments about physical keyboards when the double typing issues on the Q10 were first starting to flood the forums. The solution isn't to abolish physical KB, but to actually fix the design and make it work.

I just hope BlackBerry never takes away my option to have a BlackBerry with removable battery, Micro-SD card and physical keyboard. Apple and now Samsung with their S6 have none of those 3 things, I hope BlackBerry doesn't go in that "mainstream" direction.

I agree be innovated. Maybe a slide in battery door like on a camera.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 09:02 AM
    The battery seems like such a non issue. After a day of heavy using I still have like 40% left before I charge it at bedtime.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Although the battery life is fantastic. I still have to charge it at least once a day.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 09:05 AM
    Although the battery life is fantastic. I still have to charge it at least once a day.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure all smart phone users are used to this very acceptable minimum. A full day is all you need. You charge while you sleep.
    03-22-15 10:11 AM
    I'm pretty sure all smart phone users are used to this very acceptable minimum. A full day is all you need. You charge while you sleep.
    No only 6 hours.

Are you the software developer?
    If you are great work.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 10:20 AM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    Clearly there were tolerance issues in some devices, but a flaw in the design or manufacturing process (I can't know which was responsible) should not be confused with the impossibility of a solution.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    03-22-15 10:36 AM
    No only 6 hours.

Are you the software developer?
    If you are great work.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea what you are saying. Only 6 hours......for what?

Why are you asking if I'm a software developer? I simply stated that a full day is simply the minimum that people need as they usually sleep next to a power source (where they charge).
    03-22-15 10:40 AM
102 123 ...