I ordered a new BB Classic off Amazon ~ VZ web said it was compatible but Corp store and tech support wouldn't activate and says no longer supporting or selling BB~ period.
    08-20-18 09:35 AM
    I ordered a new BB Classic off Amazon ~ VZ web said it was compatible but Corp store and tech support wouldn't activate and says no longer supporting or selling BB~ period.
    No CDMA-only device can be activated on Verizon anymore as of last June. It must be fully compatible with the Verizon VoLTE specs.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is compatible, and is sold unlocked from Amazon, Bestbuy, and other retailers.
    08-20-18 09:43 AM
    I know VZ is going to GSM~ from CDMA~ but why did my old Classic (I got it wet and it died) work fine for 3 years up until a week ago~? New phone ordered from Amazon factory unlocked VZ~ numbers showed compatible until they tried to activate and it wouldn't work. VZ says no more BB's on their ntwrk period.
    08-20-18 10:08 AM
    I know VZ is going to GSM~ from CDMA~ but why did my old Classic (I got it wet and it died) work fine for 3 years up until a week ago~? New phone ordered from Amazon factory unlocked VZ~ numbers showed compatible until they tried to activate and it wouldn't work. VZ says no more BB's on their ntwrk period.
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ has no trouble being activated on Verizon.

They will no longer activate phones that call only over CDMA (Classic and Z30).

Not sure how else to say it.
    08-20-18 10:19 AM
    Because your old phone was activated before the policy change?

Now, you're trying to activate a new one (to them) after the policy change?

Just a guess.
    08-20-18 11:14 AM
    yeah~ I guess so but I missed the memo!!!
    08-20-18 11:16 AM
    I'm beginning to understand...but after being a dedicated BB user for 10 years and Verizon for over 20 years~ when it was PRIMCO!! I can't even describe what the dread of unboxing an iPhone is going to be like ~ let alone using one. And I feel like I got a bucket of programmed obsolescence dumped on me. BB and VZ let me down. SAD>
    08-20-18 11:21 AM
    And the sim swap method of powering off both phones, pulling sim out of old phone, insert in new phone and power up doesn't work?

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    08-20-18 01:26 PM
    they didn't try that. but the tech support said they wouldn't activate it.
    08-20-18 01:40 PM
    sim may have been damaged in old phone. store immediately put new sim in and it didn't work they called tech. No go
    08-20-18 01:42 PM
    I'm beginning to understand...but after being a dedicated BB user for 10 years and Verizon for over 20 years~ when it was PRIMCO!! I can't even describe what the dread of unboxing an iPhone is going to be like ~ let alone using one. And I feel like I got a bucket of programmed obsolescence dumped on me. BB and VZ let me down. SAD>
    Get a KEYᵒⁿᵉ. No issues. Still 2 years of security patches to come.

It's also in the process of being upgraded to Oreo 8.1.
    08-20-18 01:55 PM
    If it helps and saves you the phone $$$ I switched to AT&T prepaid from VZW prepaid after my phone wouldn't work in Mexico.

My VZW Q10 for the most part worked on AT&T, got 4G but wouldn't get the full 4G LTE. But to be honest I've only seen ~15 mpbs on this AT&T branded Classic so not like its anything that a BlackBerry won't make the best of.

Haven't seen much of a coverage difference between the 2, but the AT&T service works in Canada, US and Mexico flawlessly.

Check the bands on the VZW Classic if you do look at switching.

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    08-20-18 07:42 PM
    I'm using a Classic on Verizon right now, and freely swap the SIM back and forth between it and a KEYone. I suppose as others noted in this thread, since my phone was activated on the network before it's in some sort of whitelist status.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-18 02:25 PM
    And I feel like I got a bucket of programmed obsolescence dumped on me. BB and VZ let me down. SAD>
    No one let you down and no one did this on purpose. Rather, it's simply a fact that technology - and especially mobile technology - is constantly moving forward. At the time the Classic was designed, it had the latest features and frequencies available - but that was 5 years ago for a device that only has a 2-3 year expected lifespan.

Even if you hadn't broken your phone, it was going to stop being able to make calls on Verizon in the near future anyway - which is why Verizon isn't letting you activate a new one on your account anymore. It has nothing to do with it being a BB and everything to do with it not having the proper radios and tech inside to continue to be able to make calls once Verizon transitions to 100% VoLTE calling - which is coming soon. Lots of older phones are in the same situation. That's simply the nature of mobile tech - and something I've been gently trying to warn BB10 users (who claimed to have intentions of using their BB10 phone for years to come, or who had a bunch of them stockpiled) for years here.

There are more mobile users every year, more devices-per-person every year, and they all want to have faster connections and use more data - yet the radio bandwidth available to the carriers is extremely limited. Thus, they HAVE to move forward when new tech is created that allows faster or more efficient use of their frequencies - or their competitors will take all their business...
    dkfoshee and pdr733 like this.
    08-21-18 05:09 PM
    Thanks Troy~ I know! You are right. It was just hard to give up the BB. I have an iPad so it wasn't a stretch. But it's like going from a beautiful expensive car to a rental. A cool rental with lots of cool features...but no leather seats. Also it seemed odd that one week ago Verizon was gladly going to overnight a $399 Classic to me. Really? And then activate it? I wonder..and when I said I would pick one up online...well~ it's over now. What about the Evolve?? :~))
    08-21-18 08:00 PM
    If you're on Verizon and going to stay on Verizon, you need to know that you're only going to get a full-featured phone if you buy a Verizon-branded phone from Verizon. Their corporate policies restrict "advanced calling features" to only their own branded phones, even if they legally have to activate some BYOD phones (which often can only get data, and not make phone calls!).

If you want real phone freedom, check out T-Mobile.
    08-21-18 08:49 PM