Bought a used Q20 over the weekend and took it to the VZW store to get the smaller SIM card since I had been using a Z30. For whatever reason the tech was not able to attach a SIM # to the phone via their account system. He said that they could try to use a Motorola SIM card and activate that on my phone first which would then recognize it was a Q20 and then update. I wasn't convinced they knew what to do and left the store. Has anyone ever experience a similar problem with VZW in getting a new SIM card for a Q20 ?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-29-15 09:29 PM
    Bought a used Q20 over the weekend and took it to the VZW store to get the smaller SIM card since I had been using a Z30. For whatever reason the tech was not able to attach a SIM # to the phone via their account system. He said that they could try to use a Motorola SIM card and activate that on my phone first which would then recognize it was a Q20 and then update. I wasn't convinced they knew what to do and left the store. Has anyone ever experience a similar problem with VZW in getting a new SIM card for a Q20 ?

Is the Classic (Q20) a Verizon branded model?
    • SQC100-3 = Verizon branded.
    • SQC100-5 = Also compatible on Verizon.
    • All other models are not, no CDMA radio.

If the device isn't a CDMA device, it generally can't be activated on Verizon.
    See:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...encies-977803/
    Avenzuno likes this.
    12-30-15 08:52 AM
    It's a SQC100-3 in the settings / help menu. The ESN is clear and device shows "good" on their system but they were not able to associate the card to my device. I plan to visit a different VZW store across town after work today see if they can help.

12-30-15 08:57 AM
    It's a SQC100-3 in the settings / help menu. The ESN is clear and device shows "good" on their system but they were not able to associate the card to my device. I plan to visit a different VZW store across town after work today see if they can help.

One other option would be to have your Z30 SIM cut down to Nano SIM size, that is if you do not plan on continuing to use the Z30.
    Z30 SIM is Micro.

However, if you then need to go back to the Z30, you would need to use a Nano to Micro SIM adapter tray which can cause issues with your SIM slot, getting stuck and damaging/destroying the contacts.
    12-30-15 09:10 AM
    Good idea. I do want the ability to switch between phones in the future.

12-30-15 09:14 AM
    Good idea. I do want the ability to switch between phones in the future.

OK, now there are risks in cutting the SIM and, as I said earlier, using an adapter to go back to the larger SIM slot.
    Most cell phone stores have a SIM cutter, so you should be able to find someone to do that.
    And as the SIM is already activated, it should be no issue popping it into the Classic.

Might I inquire; Do you currently have a grandfathered-in old Verizon Unlimited Data plan on your account?
    One possible reason the Verizon rep couldn't get a "new" SIM activated is that they are no longer allowed to activate new devices SIMs on the old grandfathered plans.
    They have also been known in recent months to refuse to issue a replacement SIM for one damaged or lost/stolen on the old plan, forcing the subscriber to change to a current "limited" plan.
    However, as long as you keep your current SIM and can move it around to different compatible devices, you can keep "activating" a new device on your account as you wish.
    In my case, I have a second Z30 as a backup and a Verizon MiFi I SIM swap to when I need them.... you can only use one SIM/Device at a time.

EDIT: Clarifying
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 12-30-15 at 09:47 AM.
    12-30-15 09:35 AM
    I did have one of those old unlimited plans last year but finally upgraded to a more current plan. That was 12 months ago.....

12-30-15 09:42 AM
    I did have one of those old unlimited plans last year but finally upgraded to a more current plan. That was 12 months ago.....

OK, then do try another Verizon location to see if they can activate a new SIM.
    Maybe have them double check they aren't still flagging you as grandfathered in.
    If they still have problems, inquire about cutting down your existing SIM.
    12-30-15 09:50 AM
    Got it working. Apparently having the integrated messaging as a feature causes a problem. BlackBerry phones do no support this and that was preventing the sim card from activating. Once that feature was removed from my Verizon account, I was able to move forward with the activation process. Using my Classic now and really enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-31-15 06:07 PM