I gave up on BB a year back and still wants to come back.
    Unfortunately nothing to come back to. Still too many compromise

I just cant understand, BB know what is the problem and they totally ignore fixing it .
    12-25-14 11:47 PM
    I just cant understand, BB know what is the problem and they totally ignore fixing it .
    Once a business becomes identified as a certain specific thing it is incredibly hard to change brand image. BlackBerry knows this by now even after a half hearted attempt to do the IOS and Android thing when BlackBerry 10 came out. All touch iPhone like form factor. App store build out. Promote games. Advertise on the Superbowl. Etc.

Now they are back to serving their core base customer as a priority. Security. Real keyboard devices primary used for email and messaging.

I don't think they're ignoring anything. They are facing reality.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-26-14 12:29 AM
    Once a business becomes identified as a certain specific thing it is incredibly hard to change brand image. BlackBerry knows this by now even after a half hearted attempt to do the IOS and Android thing when BlackBerry 10 came out. All touch iPhone like form factor. App store build out. Promote games. Advertise on the Superbowl. Etc.

Now they are back to serving their core base customer as a priority. Security. Real keyboard devices primary used for email and messaging.

I don't think they're ignoring anything. They are facing reality.

Were the Z10 and Q10 really their best attempt? I don't think they were. The Z10 was running 10.0 which was missing a lot of features. The HW was avg and was not priced agressively. The Q10 suffered from the same fate in addition to missing the belt which made a lot of legacy users unhappy. If anything Blackberry's reality is that they are terrible at spec'ing and pricing their HW and at delivering rock solid SW in a timely manner. Their overall execution is horrible. Abysmal. It's amazing that they have managed to stay in business despite all of the above.

If I were Chen I would give the all touch one more go around. Maybe not next year, but in 2016 when 10.4 most likely drops and the OS is featured out fully and just requires refinement. Advertise that major apps are available. Heck, I would pre-load Candy Crush, Netflix, Skype, etc on the phones so that the highly ignorant people don't return the devices because they can't find those apps in BB World. Advertise amazing specs. Advertise the competitive price. Give people a reason to at least look. Thus far, they have not had any reason.
    12-26-14 10:26 AM
    If I were Chen I would give the all touch one more go around. Maybe not next year, but in 2016 when 10.4 most likely drops and the OS is featured out fully and just requires refinement. Advertise that major apps are available. Heck, I would pre-load Candy Crush, Netflix, Skype, etc on the phones so that the highly ignorant people don't return the devices because they can't find those apps in BB World. Advertise amazing specs. Advertise the competitive price. Give people a reason to at least look. Thus far, they have not had any reason.
    If I were Chen, I would focus on BB's hardcore user base. Release a Classic with decent internal hardware and a decent Camera, get all the Celebs, Lawyers, Bankers and Politicians to use it (starting with POTUS). Kill off BB7 to push people to the new Platform and eventually there might be enough of a user base to attract application developers. Then there might be a market for all touch BBs.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-26-14 11:06 AM
    If I were Chen, I would focus on BB's hardcore user base. Release a Classic with decent internal hardware and a decent Camera, get all the Celebs, Lawyers, Bankers and Politicians to use it (starting with POTUS). Kill off BB7 to push people to the new Platform and eventually there might be enough of a user base to attract application developers. Then there might be a market for all touch BBs.
    Absolutely agree. This is the first step. The PKB market is not as small as people think. PKB users switched to Androids and iPhones not because they loved VKB's, but because BBOS was so limited compared to the competition. If BB can give PKB users a reason to come back (spec competitive, price competitive, modern OS with decent app support) then I think we would see the PKB market rise back to 5% globally.
    12-26-14 11:42 AM
    Were the Z10 and Q10 really their best attempt? I don't think they were.
    Certainly not the best. I am going by the media criticism I heard at the time. Remember the Z10 was the only thing folks saw for months after the BlackBerry 10 launch. Most of the folks I read and heard review it said "looks like an iPhone". Then followed with the criticism of well if you want an iPhone get an iPhone.

That Superbowl commercial was absolute non sense. Had no message to appeal to any core BlackBerry user. Really had no message at all.

Now we have concrete messages. Work wide. Etc. Effective. People that have a need for something like the Passport get that message in less than 2 seconds. Of course the target market is a much smaller one than I think BlackBerry mistakenly thought they could reach with BlackBerry 10, initially.

12-26-14 01:17 PM
    Absolutely agree. This is the first step. The PKB market is not as small as people think. PKB users switched to Androids and iPhones not because they loved VKB's, but because BBOS was so limited compared to the competition. If BB can give PKB users a reason to come back (spec competitive, price competitive, modern OS with decent app support) then I think we would see the PKB market rise back to 5% globally.
    I am wondering if BlackBerry shouldn't just license the iconic keyboard hardware. And require BBM to be installed as a homescreen icon initially on any phone that uses the PKB.

It's obvious with that Ryan Seacrest Typo thing there is demand on non BlackBerry hardware. And it's also obvious the courts ruled BlackBerry clearly owns the design.

BlackBerry could keep building it's devices, and also make revenue licensing the keyboard. Then when someone turns out a fantastic Android phone with a real BlackBerry keyboard, if it sells well you start to see the BlackBerry PKB re-legitimized as a somewhat popular hardware option. That could help BlackBerry sell more of their handsets to folks that want that, and need more security, etc. Or just sell more to folks because the PKB would no longer have that "dinosaur" stigma.

I am not talking about knock offs like the droid BlackBerry bold clone. Droid pro? I mean a real designed by blackberry keyboard. And also require the device have this imprinted on it. "Keyboard by BlackBerry".

LuvULongTime and Avenzuno like this.
    12-26-14 01:26 PM
    I agree, it was based on my own opinion of the classic.

I was an avid iPhone user prior to this, I still have stock in BlackBerry, and I had the Q10, but the screen was just little to small for my aging eyes. I also missed the trackpad above the keyboard of my berry's of old. So the 6 seemed like a great option.

iPhone 6 - great media device, consumes media like no other. Terrible at email management, even worse at lasting all day. Great camera pics but not one hand friendly. My kids love the iPhone, lots of apps, very very easily to use, or user friendly - which ever you prefer.

BlackBerry Classic - sucks at a media device. Kids hate it because they crnt find netflix on it. I haven't played games, other than brick breaker - which is fine, but it's like playing snake on a 2012 Nokia, not the same as a 3210. Email management - perfect. As a work device, I cannot see why anyone would not want to pick this device up and give it a solid try.

Agreed, this is not meant for the masses, or kiddies, or anyone that doesn't have a work email address for their job. But for the people that do email, work ridiculously long hours and require a device to handle all that. I see no reason why the classic cannot fill that space for them.

I think that the past mistakes made by former CEOs at BlackBerry have maybe left a sour taste in many people's mouths. I just hope that people will see past the odd **** up, and give this baby a whirl.

Posted via CB10
    Amen to that👍👍👍
    12-26-14 01:38 PM
    I agree, it was based on my own opinion of the classic.

I was an avid iPhone user prior to this, I still have stock in BlackBerry, and I had the Q10, but the screen was just little to small for my aging eyes. I also missed the trackpad above the keyboard of my berry's of old. So the 6 seemed like a great option.

iPhone 6 - great media device, consumes media like no other. Terrible at email management, even worse at lasting all day. Great camera pics but not one hand friendly. My kids love the iPhone, lots of apps, very very easily to use, or user friendly - which ever you prefer.

BlackBerry Classic - sucks at a media device. Kids hate it because they crnt find netflix on it. I haven't played games, other than brick breaker - which is fine, but it's like playing snake on a 2012 Nokia, not the same as a 3210. Email management - perfect. As a work device, I cannot see why anyone would not want to pick this device up and give it a solid try.

Agreed, this is not meant for the masses, or kiddies, or anyone that doesn't have a work email address for their job. But for the people that do email, work ridiculously long hours and require a device to handle all that. I see no reason why the classic cannot fill that space for them.
    I agree that the Classic is a fantastic device for email and messaging. However, I disagree that the iPhone isn't good for managing email. There are several third party apps available that do a fantastic job of managing email. I like Mailbox for my personal email management. It also supports every popular messaging platform including BBM and has the MS Office apps with OneDrive and Drop Box integration.

What sucks (for me) on the iPhone (and I have a 5s) is replying to those emails or messages using an on screen keyboard. The classic BB keyboards are so much better. I would love a device that combined the physical design of the Classic with the performance and app library of a late model iPhone. I am not talking about entertainment apps either, I would never watch a movie on a screen as small as the iPhone 5s and I don't bother with games much. I have better things to do with my time.
    southlander and Avenzuno like this.
    12-26-14 02:04 PM
134 ... 456