As a business owner, the Classic is perfect and replaced my iphone 6.

All I am missing from my iphone is the camera.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:37 AM
    Not sure they matter. There are lots of positives out there for the Passport and the Classic. The Verge hasn't been kind to BlackBerry in some time.
    No one really has which is why Blackberry is in this situation. If Blackberry can break even with the cost of R & D and hardware / phone sales even if it's very low I don't see them killing off the BB10 phones. They'll want some kind of device tied to their enterprise software / hardware that they are going to focus on to make money. So the remaining people on Blackberry shouldn't have to worry about devices except maybe if they like all touchscreen because it seems like those aren't the focus now that Blackberry knows normal customers aren't buying their phones.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.
    12-24-14 10:44 AM
    I thought it was a pretty fair review from a non-blackberry guy. He made a lot of positive comments. What he didn't like most non-blackberry people would probably agree with.
    I love the phone and do hope that as the OS continues to evolve, the next Classic will be a beast. In the mean time, I'm happy no matter what any reviewer says.
    12-24-14 10:44 AM
    I am not typing this to help you make a review observation. Here is your review conclusion: you shouldn't consider this review.

idk, the writing style in particular of the article just irritates me
    12-24-14 12:54 PM
    12-24-14 01:00 PM
    I don't get why you need a slimport adapter - I simply just connect micro to regular HDMI adapter, $5, does the exact same thing.
    12-24-14 01:04 PM
    I don't get why you need a slimport adapter - I simply just connect micro to regular HDMI adapter, $5, does the exact same thing.
    Both the Classic and the Passport do not have microHDMI ports. They replaced them with SlimPort capability.
    12-24-14 01:27 PM
    Most of this isn't even actually a review. It's just some writer trying to make "funny" quips.

The camera focus speed is a real problem though.
    12-24-14 03:44 PM
    Well, I don't think it is that bad. Clearly we know whom the Classic is for. It is for those legacy Bold users who refuse the give up their old phones. The classic is giving an upgrade option to those people.

IMHO, the classic is not meant to switch anyone over. It is BlackBerry part to retain the remaining OS 7 base and make them upgrade, thus momentarily stopping the subscriber bleed.

Posted with my super duper BlackBerry Passport.
    12-24-14 04:24 PM
    I certainly don't think there was malice in the review but I do feel the culture at The Verge is very much an iPhone culture. So when things deviate from the norm they tend to view that as a negative or less than. It isn't just BlackBerry. Certain Android offerings receive harsh criticism as well.

If the site truly wants to be impartial I think they need to take a step back and realize that not every phone has to behave the same or is intended for the same audience.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 07:43 PM
    It looks like Seth Rogan didn't like their Classic editorial either.
    Attached Thumbnails Verge Review of Classic-seth-rogen.jpg  
    12-24-14 10:04 PM
    Yikes. That's harsh! Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:10 PM
    Yikes. That's harsh! Lol

Posted via CB10

He's just a bit on edge with the Sony hack fiasco. Ha!
    12-24-14 10:18 PM
    F Sony
    F Verge

Watching the "interview" as I type this lol

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:21 PM
    When I watch video reviews of BlackBerry phones I just grab the popcorn because I know I'm in for a laugh lol its just a shame most consumers believe the lies smh.

BBM: 2BE320B5 CHANNEL: C00121E43
    12-24-14 10:27 PM
    That's is a response to a comment about the movie not the Classic
    12-24-14 10:42 PM
    That's is a response to a comment about the movie not the Classic
    Debbie Downer!

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:43 PM
    I disagree somewhat. While its a reviewers job to talk about the plusses and minuses of a phone I don't think it's there job to tell someone to buy it or not. A good review is able to lay out the points clearly enough for the reader to make that decision on their own. At least that's what I think.
    Does the review on this site do that? all the reviewer listed is positives with no negatives...it is a disservice and an ad not a review, at least they listed true positives and negatives.
    12-24-14 10:54 PM
    Does the review on this site do that? all the reviewer listed is positives with no negatives...it is a disservice and an ad not a review, at least they listed true positives and negatives.
    This is a fan site.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 12:16 AM

How can you even agree with that? Really, nothing else changed? The camera is not better? The OS is not faster? Did we not get features that were never on legacy BBOS such as Miracast, HDMI, Blend, a front facing camera/video chat, EAS support, remote file access, a file manager that's integrated with Box/Dropbox/OneDrive, not to mention Android support so people can finally have apps like Instagram.
    Android support for certain apps is:
    A) A huge workaround.
    B) Doesn't work with enough apps.
    C) Doesn't work well with enough apps.
    D) I could just as well buy an Android.

Apart from that, I mostly agree with the Verge review.
    Specs are bad, ecosystem is inexistant, apps are... Getting better I guess, but the app situation is still bad nonetheless. No one who doesn't have a Q10/9900 and absolutely loves those, would have ever considered the Classic, and it's far too expensive as a fleet phone for enterprises, with its limited capabilities (The Classic should cost 300$ at max, let's be honest here).

It's also interesting to compare the Q10 Verge review with the Classic.
    They gave the Q10 a 7.3. Since the Classic is a Q10 basically, but gets sold one and a half years later, it makes perfect sense for me to lower the score.
    Compared to the rest of the market BB10 doesn't advance fast enough.
    When we look at the competition, it's clear that a Q10 with toolbelt won't cut it in 2015, with specs from 2012.

That's what The Verge said about the Q10:
    " That doesn�t mean I�d recommend a Z10 over this; if it�s a full-touch phone you want and you�re open to using something other than BlackBerry 10, I wouldn�t hesitate to recommend an iPhone or any number of Android devices before it. But for the faithful, make no mistake: the Q10 is the ultimate BlackBerry. All paths in BlackBerry�s nearly three-decade history lead to this phone. Happy Bold users will, and should, upgrade in droves. Unfortunately, BlackBerry needs much more than a stop-loss product."

That's what they say about the Classic:
    " But no, it was not made for you. It was made for the people who are still clinging desperately to their OG 2011 BlackBerry Bolds, stockpiling them like Kim Kardashian. BlackBerry itself chose that three-year-old phone for a spec-for-spec comparison on its own website. What�s worse: it�s not just the hardware that�s slavishly trying to bring back the old magic. The software is, too. The BlackBerry operating system is becoming an arcane and confusing jumble that makes sense only to acolytes of the BlackBerry way."

Which is the same exact narrative.
    Basically, they are saying that nothing has changed in any meaningful way between April 2013 and January 2015.
    Since the Classic is only a Q10 with a belt, it's quite natural when they would give it a lower score than the Q10. A Q10 shouldn't get more points in 2015 (Classic), than in 2013, when nothing meaningful has changed.

What the Verge says, is perfectly correct for at least 99.5% of the smartphone buyers (at max 0.5% are keyboard users).
    For those, the Classic is a nonexistent choice. Something they wouldn't even consider, or accept when you give it to them for free.
    (Never forget what BYOD meant for BlackBerry: It meant that people preferred to pay for their own phone, instead of getting a free BlackBerry).
    So to be honest...
    The Verge is spot on with that review, even though some one liners reminded me more of a failed attempt to sound cool, � la Steven Seagul, instead of the timeless wit an Arnold Schwarzenegger was able to deliver.
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 12-25-14 at 07:32 AM.
    12-25-14 05:59 AM
    Here's their video review:

I actually spent half an hour trying to defend Blackberry in the comments section. There was a guy in the comments saying that virtual keyboards are faster than physical keyboards.... It's sad that so many people are misinformed and biased because society tells them to be. A Blackberry is a rare sight now in London.

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    I am faster on a virtual keyboard than on a physical. I tried it often enough and had enough keyboard phones to know that by now.
    If that's something you can't accept, then the guy you responded to on the YT vid, wasn't the problem...

Don't be daft...

Unbiased conclusion from this review :

"If communication is paramount to you, plowing through tonns of emails is where you're bread is buttered, don't care too much about apps beyond that, then this may be the phone for you.
    If having all the latest apps, watching movies etc is most important to you, you should steer clear of this one."

Actual BIASED conclusion from this review :
    "Nobody should buy this phone. Trust me, it's not for you "

His actual review was okay... his conclusion/recommendation was completely biased by his personal preference, and he uses THAT as the criteria for deciding what is good for everyone.

So you're saying that isn't biased??

Posted via CB10
    I think that you sadly don't know what bias means.
    Look at your conclusion and find the bias. If you can't, you aren't suited to comment on The Verge being that, or not.
    I'll give you a slight hint because I doubt that you'll find your own bias: communication and media capabilities.
    12-25-14 06:26 AM
    Android support for certain apps is:
    A) A huge workaround.
    B) Doesn't work with enough apps.
    C) Doesn't work well with enough apps.
    D) I could just as well buy an Android.

Apart from that, I mostly agree with the Verge review.
    Specs are bad, ecosystem is inexistant, apps are... Getting better I guess, but the app situation is still bad nonetheless. No one who doesn't have a Q10/9900 and absolutely loves those, would have ever considered the Classic, and it's far too expensive as a fleet phone for enterprises, with its limited capabilities (The Classic should cost 300$ at max, let's be honest here).

It's also interesting to compare the Q10 Verge review with the Classic.
    They gave the Q10 a 7.3. Since the Classic is a Q10 basically, but gets sold one and a half years later, it makes perfect sense for me to lower the score.
    Compared to the rest of the market BB10 doesn't advance fast enough.
    When we look at the competition, it's clear that a Q10 with toolbelt won't cut it in 2015, with specs from 2012.

That's what The Verge said about the Q10:
    " That doesn’t mean I’d recommend a Z10 over this; if it’s a full-touch phone you want and you’re open to using something other than BlackBerry 10, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend an iPhone or any number of Android devices before it. But for the faithful, make no mistake: the Q10 is the ultimate BlackBerry. All paths in BlackBerry’s nearly three-decade history lead to this phone. Happy Bold users will, and should, upgrade in droves. Unfortunately, BlackBerry needs much more than a stop-loss product."

That's what they say about the Classic:
    " But no, it was not made for you. It was made for the people who are still clinging desperately to their OG 2011 BlackBerry Bolds, stockpiling them like Kim Kardashian. BlackBerry itself chose that three-year-old phone for a spec-for-spec comparison on its own website. What’s worse: it’s not just the hardware that’s slavishly trying to bring back the old magic. The software is, too. The BlackBerry operating system is becoming an arcane and confusing jumble that makes sense only to acolytes of the BlackBerry way."

Which is the same exact narrative.
    Basically, they are saying that nothing has changed in any meaningful way between April 2013 and January 2015.
    Since the Classic is only a Q10 with a belt, it's quite natural when they would give it a lower score than the Q10. A Q10 shouldn't get more points in 2015 (Classic), than in 2013, when nothing meaningful has changed.

What the Verge says, is perfectly correct for at least 99.5% of the smartphone buyers (at max 0.5% are keyboard users).
    For those, the Classic is a nonexistent choice. Something they wouldn't even consider, or accept when you give it to them for free.
    (Never forget what BYOD meant for BlackBerry: It meant that people preferred to pay for their own phone, instead of getting a free BlackBerry).
    So to be honest...
    The Verge is spot on with that review, even though some one liners reminded me more of a failed attempt to sound cool, � la Steven Seagul, instead of the timeless wit an Arnold Schwarzenegger was able to deliver.
    I have no issue with Dieters underlying opinion, it is his tone an snottyness that were not necessary.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-25-14 11:56 AM
    I have no issue with Dieters underlying opinion, it is his tone an snottyness that were not necessary.
    Oh. Well, that's another issue all together.
    But I think I at least aluded to that, in my last sentence.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    12-25-14 12:22 PM
    I will not click on that link because I do not want to give verge hits, i have deleted verge from twitter facebook and any kind of media.

This kind of biased media is pointless. it wont teach/inform you of anything important/significant.

Look up to tomshardware, engaged, arstechnica or a million other better websites, for your tech news instead.

Check this one instead:
    http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/c...-10953399.html
    12-25-14 10:28 PM
    I'm so tired of kids reviewing things they know nothing about.

But it's fine, execs, CEOs and people that actually work for a living don't read that crap. Just young, easily influenced kids.
    The "kid" who wrote the review was Dieter Bohn. He used to be the Editor in Chief around here before Kevin. I would surmise that he knows a few things about smart phones.
    LazyEvul, southlander and mikeo007 like this.
    12-25-14 10:48 PM
134 ... 3456