Here's their video review:

I actually spent half an hour trying to defend Blackberry in the comments section. There was a guy in the comments saying that virtual keyboards are faster than physical keyboards.... It's sad that so many people are misinformed and biased because society tells them to be. A Blackberry is a rare sight now in London.

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    Well, I'm kind of sorry to say, but virtual keyboards very well could be faster than physical ones. Since they do not require any pressure, it's extremely easy to just pluck away, and also other types like swype. The reason why I prefer a physical one is not for speed, but for accuracy, and the shortcuts and speed dialing it provides as well...
    MarsupilamiX and Mel Calixtro like this.
    12-24-14 12:10 AM
    Design: 7, I think it's 9
    Cameras 4? Come on, it's not the best, but it's at least 6.
    Call quality: 8? Tell me another phone with better call quality. Should be 10.
    Performance: 4, really?!
    Software: 5, I think it's 7.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly this issue of the camera is over labored. Today i was in the midst of some friends all with iphone5, iphone6, Samsung, Htc you name. Took a pix of a couple of them with my Classic. And all were like Woow. They couldnt believe it. The couple i took immediately used the pix as their FB profile pix. So go figure.
    12-24-14 12:49 AM
    Honestly this issue of the camera is over labored. Today i was in the midst of some friends all with iphone5, iphone6, Samsung, Htc you name. Took a pix of a couple of them with my Classic. And all were like Woow. They couldnt believe it. The couple i took immediately used the pix as their FB profile pix. So go figure.
    LOL.
    marty314 likes this.
    12-24-14 01:11 AM
    Why do people on this board hate skinny jeans? lmao I'm perplexed.
    Depends who is wearing them
    12-24-14 01:23 AM
    With Z30 specs this phone would surely have received a better review.

Posted via CB10
    I honestly don't think so. Maybe a 2 point upgrade on performance.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 03:28 AM
    LOL.
    LOL @ banned member MartyMcFly's like of this post.
    12-24-14 07:29 AM
    Dieter, that was a pretty fair video review...until the last thing thing mentioned. You spent the whole time saying how great it would be for certain Blackberry fans throughout, but then the parting shot was, "It's probably time to let go".

Just can't let it be can ya. Just can't let people actually like something that's different and works for them. I'm glad someone embedded the link since I refuse to click-through to the verge.
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    12-24-14 07:49 AM
    Really sounded like he loved the Keyboard, but not having a smaller screen. (SLIDER?)

But where the Classic seemed to fail him the most was just the hardware.... like many have been saying here.

If they had made if look and feel less cheap.
    If it had a great camera in it.
    If it had a more powerful CPU and GPU.
    And if instead of trying to improve the OS and add in more features... they stop and just make a version that is less buggy!
    MarsupilamiX and niss63 like this.
    12-24-14 08:16 AM
    Dieter, that was a pretty fair video review...until the last thing thing mentioned. You spent the whole time saying how great it would be for certain Blackberry fans throughout, but then the parting shot was, "It's probably time to let go".

Just can't let it be can ya. Just can't let people actually like something that's different and works for them. I'm glad someone embedded the link since I refuse to click-through to the verge.
    How is he preventing anyone from liking it?
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    12-24-14 08:34 AM
    How is he preventing anyone from liking it?
    You tell me.
    Vintage123 and Tre Lawrence like this.
    12-24-14 08:37 AM
    You tell me.
    LOL. Exactly.
    12-24-14 08:41 AM
    I think there is a danger in expecting people to like the things we like.

One shouldn't go through life taking names based upon what side of the smartphone aisle one might stand.

Carry on...
    12-24-14 08:44 AM
    I think some of this is a fair critique of the phone but some of the things he says shouldn't be mentioned.

I don't own a Classic but based on its specs I would have to assume it has a worse performing camera than the Passport, which I did own. The Passport camera is not good. It's slow to open and even slower to focus and takes poor photos unless it's a perfectly still object with great lighting.

Android apps also choke on the Passport. A simple streaming app like Sirius XM takes forever to load and is buggy when it does load, which can also be said for many other Android apps. I would assume that if this is the case with the Passport then it will be the case with the Classic.

Where I disagree with the review is the "Don't buy this phone statements." I think they should give their review and leave it up to the buyer on whether or not to purchase it.
    12-24-14 08:47 AM
    If BB was serious about the Classic being the phone to bring people in, then they should have taken it a bit more seriously. I can only imagine if this phone had HW specs like the Passport, the touch sensitive PKB like the Passport, and better app support. It would be the perfect phone for people that slant more towards work, but want to have some fun with their device too.
    12-24-14 08:49 AM

Where I disagree with the review is the "Don't buy this phone statements." I think they should give their review and leave it up to the buyer on whether or not to purchase it.
    Fair point. I see where you're coming from.

I'm willing to give reviewers some latitude with regards to finality of opinion. My reasoning is that the review will most likely lean towards such a proclamation anyway.

Even if he had avoided the last part, he'd still be raked over the coals. The Verge is considered the enemy.
    12-24-14 08:53 AM
    Fair point. I see where you're coming from.

I'm willing to give reviewers some latitude with regards to finality of opinion. My reasoning is that the review will most likely lean towards such a proclamation anyway.

Even if he had avoided the last part, he'd still be raked over the coals. The Verge is considered the enemy.
    They get raked over the coal because of parting shots like the one I mentioned. It's like they just have to say SOMETHING to start a flame. Whatever.
    12-24-14 09:05 AM
    I think he could have been more conditional, but I wouldn't tell a reviewer to avoid saying whether or not you should buy a phone. After all, that's the person's job!

The funny thing is, the vitriol levelled against this review is all too common on other platforms... and in reverse, too (wanting a harsher review). There are Samsung fans who get upset that the latest Galaxy didn't rate as highly as an HTC device. Windows Phone fans who want a glowing score for the latest Lumia. Android fans who would never be happy with any positive iPhone review because they have an irrational hatred of Apple. In many cases, the cries of "bias!" are more reflective of the accuser's bias than the writer. A lot of us just want a review to rubber-stamp our preconceived opinions, not to reflect a larger truth.

That's not to say the review score is exactly where it should be, or even that it'll hold true for everyone; a BlackBerry devotee would clearly get more value from the Classic. It's just that some of the criticism seems fuelled more by a desire for validation ("you chose the right phone!") than major problems.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    12-24-14 09:45 AM
    I think he could have been more conditional, but I wouldn't tell a reviewer to avoid saying whether or not you should buy a phone. After all, that's the person's job!

The funny thing is, the vitriol levelled against this review is all too common on other platforms... and in reverse, too (wanting a harsher review). There are Samsung fans who get upset that the latest Galaxy didn't rate as highly as an HTC device. Windows Phone fans who want a glowing score for the latest Lumia. Android fans who would never be happy with any positive iPhone review because they have an irrational hatred of Apple. In many cases, the cries of "bias!" are more reflective of the accuser's bias than the writer. A lot of us just want a review to rubber-stamp our preconceived opinions, not to reflect a larger truth.

That's not to say the review score is exactly where it should be, or even that it'll hold true for everyone; a BlackBerry devotee would clearly get more value from the Classic. It's just that some of the criticism seems fuelled more by a desire for validation ("you chose the right phone!") than major problems.
    I disagree somewhat. While its a reviewers job to talk about the plusses and minuses of a phone I don't think it's there job to tell someone to buy it or not. A good review is able to lay out the points clearly enough for the reader to make that decision on their own. At least that's what I think.
    mister2d and Toodeurep like this.
    12-24-14 09:49 AM
    Here's their video review:

I actually spent half an hour trying to defend Blackberry in the comments section. There was a guy in the comments saying that virtual keyboards are faster than physical keyboards.... It's sad that so many people are misinformed and biased because society tells them to be. A Blackberry is a rare sight now in London.

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    Yeah. This is a heavily biased review. I've seen a lot of people who've never owned a BlackBerry show interest in this phone. If they saw this, they would skip it. Based on the tone alone, I think that was the goal of the reviewer.
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    12-24-14 10:09 AM
    This statement contradicts itself if a person actually likes all the things the reviewer dislikes.
    12-24-14 10:17 AM
    I am a q10 user and can hardly wait for Rogers to deliver my new classic. My BB is for emails and BBMs , twitter and Facebook. Yes I have som eother apps, like news and sports but my main focus and why I love the BB is the hub. Verge had no idea how the hub works and the beauty of the hub probably because he is one and out then back to his android or IPhone where he can download a million useless apps . I have about 30-50 emails a day so the BB is absolutely perfect . I will keep my q10 as a back up
    12-24-14 10:18 AM
    I disagree somewhat. While its a reviewers job to talk about the plusses and minuses of a phone I don't think it's there job to tell someone to buy it or not. A good review is able to lay out the points clearly enough for the reader to make that decision on their own. At least that's what I think.
    Well said, that is why I wish a carrier would actually sell one of these newer BB10 devices. Lisa Gade of http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ does a decent job IMO but typically waits for it to be a carrier device. tick tock tick tock

I HIGHLY recommend her reviews!
    12-24-14 10:24 AM
    He was just trying to avoid the generic "This may be the right phone for you if you like Blackberries" conclusion which is all too common.
    12-24-14 10:28 AM
    If you want to read a balanced review that makes many of the same points, without the attitude, see the review at PC Magazine. That's a fairly critical viewpoint, advanced with more journalistic integrity. BlackBerry Classic (Unlocked) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    12-24-14 10:29 AM
    Lisa Gade of MobileTechReview: cell phone reviews, smartphones reviews, tablet reviews, laptop reviews and news does a decent job IMO but typically waits for it to be a carrier device. tick tock tick tock

I HIGHLY recommend her reviews!
    MobileTechReview is definitely the best for video reviews. Lisa has reviewed the odd unlocked phone in the past. Maybe BlackBerry should send her one.

I like TechRadar for written reviews. Predictably comprehensive.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    12-24-14 10:34 AM
134 ... 23456