One of our users, a very intensive BB classic user, has deleted all his emails and text messages from his device 8 times already.
    It took some time to find out what happened and it seems to be a user-related issue, but one that I can understand that this happens.
    So maybe one of you can deliver me a bright tip how we can prevent this from happening every time

What the user does is he is reading through his emails, scrolling down with the small touchpad.
    When he sees an email that he wants to delete he clicks on the backspace button to delete the message and then clicks on enter to confirm the delete.
    But... Sometimes when scrolling down the user hits the T key, moving the position to the top of his email list. Not the first email, but the header of the list, the line where the date is shown.
    When he then (in a hurry) thought to delete the email he had selected, hits the backspace button, he deletes all the emails (and text messages). There is a confirmation request to do this, but the user hits backspace and then enter, without having read that he is going to delete all messages. He assumed that he had selected one message.

I know... The user should pay better attention. And he is really trying to do this, but this user receives so many emails and is using his device so intensively that in the past 6 months the deletion of all messages has happened 8 times already.

So if anyone has got a smart idea how we could prevent this from happening I am very keen to hear that idea!
    One thing I've thought about, but haven't been able to so far, is to disable the short key T to move to the top of the list of messages.
    If we could disable this function I guess the issue won't happen again....

Many thanks for thinking with me!
    01-05-16 08:38 AM
    I don't see how it would be possible to disable that. To be honest, I don't see how he can accidentally press on t, either.

Posted via CB10
    sakissalonika likes this.
    01-05-16 09:36 AM
    Thats..... outstanding!

One solution may be to scroll to the one email he wishes to delete, long press the trackpad, then click the delete key. I have a funny feeling he's not going to like how this route takes a bit more time... but with the extra time, he should be able to notice if he's touched the 'T' key.

Or maybe try:
    Push and hold shift, then scroll over a few emails to select multiple items. You can now let go of the shift key, and scroll around and click on emails you wish to add or remove from the current group of selected emails. Now click delete to remove the selected email(s).

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 11:30 AM
    Why delete any emails ? And if you do it I'd recommend switching to device only. And not device + server.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    01-05-16 11:40 AM
    why not have him set the hub instant actions - using delete as one and he just has to hit that to delete the emails from the hub itself

but ya I agree with the above on how he continuously hits the t either
    undefinederror and jope28 like this.
    01-05-16 01:27 PM
    why not have him set the hub instant actions
    I didn't think of that one.
    Nice suggestion!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 01:44 PM
    Can you please explain it more how it works?

Thank you
    01-05-16 02:39 PM
    why not have him set the hub instant actions - using delete as one and he just has to hit that to delete the emails from the hub itself

but ya I agree with the above on how he continuously hits the t either
    Now that you have me fiddling around with instant actions, i've learned that the left column also contains commands. Click the email icon in the left column to quickly mark emails read/unread.

Can you please explain it more how it works?

Thank you
    Instant Actions are there to quickly perform common tasks within the hub, such as reply, file, flag, delete, mark read/unread.
    To turn on Instant Actions, click the icon at the top right corner of the hub that has 3 horizontal lines with a check mark on top.
    With Instant Actions on, you will see new columns in your hub with icons relating to each item in your inbox. By default, emails will offer a trashcan to quickly delete, texts and BBMs will have an arrow offering a quick reply.
    To change how Instant Actions work, go to hub -> settings -> display and actions. Then at the very bottom of the 'display and actions' page, you will see two drop down boxes offering options for hub Instant Actions.
    I have my first email action set to 'none' so I can have more space for email titles, and the second offers to delete items.

This video mentions Instant Actions around the 2minute mark, then goes further into it at the 4:50 mark. But i'd suggest watching the whole thing. It's only 5mins 50seconds long.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by undefinederror; 01-05-16 at 04:22 PM.
    sakissalonika likes this.
    01-05-16 04:04 PM
    Thanks all - advising the user to use instant actions isn't a too bad idea. I will discuss this with the user.
    01-06-16 05:13 AM
    You could also change his email settings to delete from hub only, instead of delete from hub and server. Not much of a big deal if he simply deletes an email off the hub
    01-06-16 07:43 AM
    You could also change his email settings to delete from hub only, instead of delete from hub and server. Not much of a big deal if he simply deletes an email off the hub
    Luckily if you delete all emails, they are only deleted from the device and not from his Exchange mailbox.
    That would have been even worse
    01-06-16 09:33 AM