Shopping on CB for accessories for my new Classic, I noticed there are no USB OTG (On the Go) cables, nor SlimPort to HDMI cables.

Looking around, I see lots of references to the Classic being able to use USB OTG and SlimPort, but I don't see any references to people having actually done it. (Unless it's buried in one of the countless "here's what a Classic looks like and what people say it's supposed to do but not an actual demonstration of those things" videos on Youtube. There are a few videos showing Z10 and Passport that I could find.)

So, has anyone used either of these with the Classic yet? Does it work well for you?

Also, any speculation on why CB doesn't seem to carry these cables?

Thanks,

- RG>
    01-16-15 08:37 PM
    Stop searching, Amazon exists.

Someone in my Classic FAQ thread said he's used it on the Classic before.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-16-15 09:08 PM
    I got my slimport from Amazon. Haven't used it yet. Just type slimport for BlackBerry and it lists one for Passport etc. That's the one I had bought. Have not tried USB2GO.

Posted via Classic
    01-16-15 10:09 PM
    I've done it. I keep all my songs backed up into a OTG flash drive. I loaded about 600 songs in it.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    01-16-15 11:55 PM
    USB On the Go / Slimport for Classic-img_20150117_113320.jpg

here you go, working with a simple cheap adapter cable from Amazon!
    Just plug in any USB drive and it appear in the filemanager, works with SD cards and microSD as well if using a right adapter to hold this cards.
    Recognition of this external memory devices happens in an instant.
    Picture was made with my old Z10

Posted via BB-Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.1.2072
    01-17-15 04:41 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150117_113320.jpg 
Views:	1536 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	327913

here you go, working with a simple cheap adapter cable from Amazon!
    Just plug in any USB drive and it appear in the filemanager, works with SD cards and microSD as well if using a right adapter to hold this cards.
    Recognition of this external memory devices happens in an instant.
    Picture was made with my old Z10

Posted via BB-Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.1.2072
    As noted, for USB2GO a simple microusb 2.0 male to usb female adapter will do, it comes short (no cable, just the adapter) and long (with cable) your choice. As for SlimPort, I bought mine from shop BlackBerry and works, both of them, try to buy that brand, they work for sure. If you going to buy a Miracast adapter you can buy the Belkin Miracast dongle, just make sure you update the firmware first to 2.5+, I have it and works, I bought it at a Microsoft store, since Tiger Direct and Best Buy did not have it at the time I purchased it. There's a new Microsoft Miracast adapter so you may try that also.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on AT&T
    01-17-15 08:59 AM
    As noted, for USB2GO a simple microusb 2.0 male to usb female adapter will do,
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on AT&T
    I think you should purchase cables that specifically say OTG. If I understand correctly, these cables have a special feature, the extra 5th pin, the ID pin, is shorted to ground to let the port know to switch to host mode. And supply, rather than consumer, power. I've spent the last few months drowning the details of USB.
    Last edited by lactose; 01-17-15 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
    dpgo likes this.
    01-17-15 10:18 AM
    (Predictably, the quickest responses are the most useless, especially Slagman's especially unhelpful dismissive comment. I didn't ask if they exist or where to buy them, I asked about people's experiences using them with the Q10. The FAQ thread only says that the classic "will" have it and isn't a review or commentary on the feature.)

@hobgoblin1961 thanks for this screenshot, this is what I was looking for.

@jhirizarry - thanks for the advice. When you say "Miracast adapter", this is to say that Miracast functionality is built into the Classic and the adapter you refer to is for the monitor/TV, right?

@lactose - will do, thanks for the reminder.

- RG>
    01-17-15 12:32 PM
    (Predictably, the quickest responses are the most useless, especially Slagman's especially unhelpful dismissive comment. I didn't ask if they exist or where to buy them, I asked about people's experiences using them with the Q10. The FAQ thread only says that the classic "will" have it and isn't a review or commentary on the feature.)

@hobgoblin1961 thanks for this screenshot, this is what I was looking for.

@jhirizarry - thanks for the advice. When you say "Miracast adapter", this is to say that Miracast functionality is built into the Classic and the adapter you refer to is for the monitor/TV, right?

@lactose - will do, thanks for the reminder.

- RG>
    I also am wondering about the miracast..

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 01:29 PM
    You don't need the adapter for miracast if the display already has a it built-in. Otherwise the adapter is to add miracast functionality to the display.

Posted via CB10
    dpgo likes this.
    01-17-15 01:32 PM
    You guys still still use OTG cables? I get the ones that plug straight into the phone. It's about the size of a quarter and holds 128GB.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    01-17-15 01:47 PM
    You don't need the adapter for miracast if the display already has a it built-in. Otherwise the adapter is to add miracast functionality to the display.

Posted via CB10
    My tv doesn't have it built in.
    I bought a ez cast adaptor but have to install software on phone that doesn't work with blackberry.
    Does this belkin one ask you to install anything on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 02:38 PM
    can usb otg works for external hard drive connected thru usb?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've used usb drives tbh, all types and models. Works with it all, even sd cards etc. But never a hard drive!!
    I assume it will if it's the normal usb hard drive. I can try it for you later today and get back to you.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 05:51 PM
    I've used usb drives tbh, all types and models. Works with it all, even sd cards etc. But never a hard drive!!
    I assume it will if it's the normal usb hard drive. I can try it for you later today and get back to you.

Posted via CB10
    thanks, looking forward to it before deciding to upgrade to classic or not

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 03:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think there are two things that need to work for an external USB hard drive:
    1 There is a file system driver on the phone matching the file system on the drive (probably not a problem)
    2 The phone USB port can supply the amount of current the external drive is asking for.

On Linux, you can type lsusb -vv to see the MaxPower field for a connected device / configuration.
    01-20-15 10:15 AM
    I used the otg the other day and had my mechanical keyboard working.

I too am interested in getting a slim port adaptor

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 11:33 AM
    unfortunately the protocol is not standardized very well. I always have a hard time finding compatible devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 11:34 AM
    Hi, just following this thread with another question.
    Can I connect USB mouse, USB keyboard and HDMI television (via SlimPort HDMI adapter) to my Classic at the same time?
    10-08-15 07:43 AM
    I'm, this minute, using Classic's Miracast thru "Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter" dongle that's plugged in to TV's hdmi and powered from TV's usb A port. Probably better options out there but this worked seamlessly out of the box. Also Miracast Classic to TV at home with built in capability. Seamless as changing channel to hdmi #1 on TV.

Also use Slimport adapter 1004 & 16' flat ribbon hdmi cable from amazon for even more no brainer seamless. Just plug in, change TV to that hdmi port, and it's running. PlayBook "yellow tail" MicroUSB charger into the adapter keeps phone charged in my case.

Really LOVE Classic's trackpad for navigating large screens without having to look at the phone!
    10-08-15 08:24 AM
    Last edited by joewoo; 10-08-15 at 09:33 PM.
    10-08-15 08:58 AM
    I think there are two things that need to work for an external USB hard drive:
    1 There is a file system driver on the phone matching the file system on the drive (probably not a problem)
    2 The phone USB port can supply the amount of current the external drive is asking for.

That hard drive better be asking for "zero" current because I don't think any smartphones including Blackberries will provide any power whatsoever over USB, unless you relish the idea of your phone battery depleting in 30 minutes.

So in a nutshell, if that USB HDD is capable of using an external power source, or if you have a "Y" cable that provides power to the drive without having to draw it from the USB (OTG) cable plugged into the BlackBerry, then it should work fine.

I have however used my Nexus 7 tablet, connected via an OTG cable to one of my Z10's, to charge the Z10's battery.

(The Nexus7 supports OTG, so can supply power via the "host" side of the cable, even though the Z10 does not support OTG, as it is just on the "device" side of the cable.)
    10-12-15 07:52 AM