Hello!
    This most likely belongs somewhere else, but I don't exactly know where it belongs and I am too lazy to find out. Anyways I have tried to contact AT&T to get the unlock code, they told me to use their unlocking method on their website, I did so, and it came back with the message "there's an unpaid balance linked to your device, so we can't unlock it" basically stating that the previous owner didn't pay the bill and it is linked to my IMEI/Device, and I, being the new owner of the device have to deal with it. I bought this phone off of eBay from a company who gets phones and re-sells them on eBay, so basically I can't get in touch with the previous owner and they can't get in touch with the previous owner either since we both don't know who exactly that person is.

I am a Canadian, I don't use AT&T, I never plan to use AT&T since I never plan to move to the USA, and they won't let me just pay for the bill, instead they give me their support phone number and they want me to call them to get this all sorted out, that would be an amazingly easy thing to do if it weren't for the fact that the number they give me is from the USA, and like I said I am Canadian so I can't just go out and call an international number, that would probably (most likely) charge me a lot of money, probably more than what's due for the phone. I have tried some tools that I have myself (the main one that is highlighted is the MEP2 code, so I used it and it didn't work) the other thing about the tools I have is that they are for BBOS phones. so I don't have all the required stuff in order for it to work(the MEP code, the PRD code, etc). they failed, I don't feel comfortable going to one online that I just look up since they cost a pretty penny and most likely won't work, I tried looking up some cheap/free ones but nothing pops up, so I am honestly questioning what exactly I should do in this situation.

Should I send it back and just waste my time having had this phone for a week now and I have spent that week trying to look up methods to get around this. and I am questioning if I should try the MEP3-6 codes and see if they work. The only problem is, like I said the tools I have are for BBOS phones, and as you most likely know, the classic is a BB10 phone and I have no way of retrieving the info such as the MEP or PRD code for it.

Also both the Network Subset and Service Provider are unlocked, but the "Unlock Network" button shows up and there is a message above it that says "your current SIM card requires one or more Mobile Equipment Personalization codes before the Mobile Network will be available" does anyone know which MEP code it is asking for in this situation

TLDR: ATT No like IMEI and won't give code for unlock, BlackBerry wants specific MEP code and I don't know which one it wants. If you know which one it wants (I have 1-6... I think) or if you have an unlocking tool that would help me that would be amazing

thanks in advance and I am sorry if this makes absolutely no sense, which is understandable.
    08-08-20 04:59 PM
    Should I send it back
    Yes, send it back. You will have no end of hassle trying to get this unlocked.
    08-08-20 05:53 PM
    Yes, send it back. You will have no end of hassle trying to get this unlocked.
    so I just wasted my time trying to go for the cheaper option and I should just go for one that is unlocked?
    08-08-20 05:56 PM
    so I just wasted my time trying to go for the cheaper option and I should just go for one that is unlocked?
    Yes, look for unlocked.
    08-08-20 06:06 PM
    I was hoping there would be an easier way to get my phone unlocked, that didn't require me to have to send it back
    08-08-20 06:08 PM
    Pretty much.

Also, AT&T has been really bad about getting proper unlock codes for phones of even recent vintage. Users try the code they get and they don't work. That's from spending time in AT&T's community forum for several years. I'm surprised their system even had the IMEI to check against. Usually AT&T purges old IMEIs after about a year or more off their network.
    08-08-20 06:09 PM
    Pretty much.

Also, AT&T has been really bad about getting proper unlock codes for phones of even recent vintage. Users try the code they get and they don't work. That's from spending time in AT&T's community forum for several years. I'm surprised their system even had the IMEI to check against. Usually AT&T purges old IMEIs after about a year or more off their network.
    so even if they do give me the code it would be a waste of time, so I am better off trying my ****ty method of going through all 6 MEP codes I somehow magically pulled off?
    08-08-20 06:12 PM
    so even if they do give me the code it would be a waste of time, so I am better off trying my ****ty method of going through all 6 MEP codes I somehow magically pulled off?
    Maybe. It just seems that it's been a crapshoot the last few years. It might work, and maybe they do more often than not.

Afterall, it's the ones that say it didn't work that you hear from.

I tried their unlock portal for my Z10, which has been off their network since mid-2017. I don't plan to ever use it as a phone again - just a Wi-Fi device I keep on my desk at home - but figured I'd try to unlock it anyway.

I tried the portal in mid-2019. No luck. The IMEI was already out of their system.
    08-08-20 06:25 PM
    I've have a similar issue with AT&T. I have a AT&T Passport and have tried to unlock it, but they say "This device is no longer supported". I am hoping to figure a way around this.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-20 06:31 PM
    Maybe. It just seems that it's been a crapshoot the last few years. It might work, and maybe they do more often than not.

Afterall, it's the ones that say it didn't work that you hear from.

I tried their unlock portal for my Z10, which has been off their network since mid-2017. I don't plan to ever use it as a phone again - just a Wi-Fi device I keep on my desk at home - but figured I'd try to unlock it anyway.

I tried the portal in mid-2019. No luck. The IMEI was already out of their system.
    I'm not going to try to risk it with AT&T since I don't want to spend another week trying to get support from them.
    the only thing I need for the code is either the PRD for it or the MEP, not the one that unlocks it, I kinda just hit the ball and hoped for the best trying to find the matching one but the thing about BB10 is that they won't tell you either of those, so I am kinda in a blank on what I did last time, the thing I remember I did last time is find one off the web for one of the BBOS models, I'm not quite sure they totally work for BB10
    08-08-20 06:44 PM
    You can try to get the mep ID from here BBService from SWEN - Find MEP From PRD Number and then the unlock code from here: BBService from SWEN - BlackBerry CODE CALCULATOR
    08-09-20 12:04 AM
    You can try to get the mep ID from here BBService from SWEN - Find MEP From PRD Number and then the unlock code from here: BBService from SWEN - BlackBerry CODE CALCULATOR
    Does this work for BB10 devices?
    08-09-20 11:35 AM
    When the original owner did not pay for the phone AT&T blacklisted the phone. Pretty much saying it is stolen property. No legitimate and even semi iffy sites might not provide a code. They could be charged by aiding in theft. The person who sold you the phone could have checked the phone. They should refund your money.
    08-09-20 01:48 PM
    Hello!
    This most likely belongs somewhere else, but I don't exactly know where it belongs and I am too lazy to find out. Anyways I have tried to contact AT&T to get the unlock code, they told me to use their unlocking method on their website, I did so, and it came back with the message "there's an unpaid balance linked to your device, so we can't unlock it" basically stating that the previous owner didn't pay the bill and it is linked to my IMEI/Device, and I, being the new owner of the device have to deal with it. I bought this phone off of eBay from a company who gets phones and re-sells them on eBay, so basically I can't get in touch with the previous owner and they can't get in touch with the previous owner either since we both don't know who exactly that person is.

I am a Canadian, I don't use AT&T, I never plan to use AT&T since I never plan to move to the USA, and they won't let me just pay for the bill, instead they give me their support phone number and they want me to call them to get this all sorted out, that would be an amazingly easy thing to do if it weren't for the fact that the number they give me is from the USA, and like I said I am Canadian so I can't just go out and call an international number, that would probably (most likely) charge me a lot of money, probably more than what's due for the phone. I have tried some tools that I have myself (the main one that is highlighted is the MEP2 code, so I used it and it didn't work) the other thing about the tools I have is that they are for BBOS phones. so I don't have all the required stuff in order for it to work(the MEP code, the PRD code, etc). they failed, I don't feel comfortable going to one online that I just look up since they cost a pretty penny and most likely won't work, I tried looking up some cheap/free ones but nothing pops up, so I am honestly questioning what exactly I should do in this situation.

Should I send it back and just waste my time having had this phone for a week now and I have spent that week trying to look up methods to get around this. and I am questioning if I should try the MEP3-6 codes and see if they work. The only problem is, like I said the tools I have are for BBOS phones, and as you most likely know, the classic is a BB10 phone and I have no way of retrieving the info such as the MEP or PRD code for it.

Also both the Network Subset and Service Provider are unlocked, but the "Unlock Network" button shows up and there is a message above it that says "your current SIM card requires one or more Mobile Equipment Personalization codes before the Mobile Network will be available" does anyone know which MEP code it is asking for in this situation

TLDR: ATT No like IMEI and won't give code for unlock, BlackBerry wants specific MEP code and I don't know which one it wants. If you know which one it wants (I have 1-6... I think) or if you have an unlocking tool that would help me that would be amazing

thanks in advance and I am sorry if this makes absolutely no sense, which is understandable.
    You have two options.....

1) send the phone back and get refund

2) add USA calling to your plan and then follow the AT&T procedures to sort out everything.

I have Canada and Mexico calling on AT&T, possibly on T-Mobile included free and certain number of minutes. Even if extra charge, drop after one month.

Unless you're on some garbage phone carrier, then you're stuck with option #1
    08-09-20 02:01 PM