SOooooooooooooo

What's the point of this great keyboard if there isn't a hardware shortcut to copy/paste text

I.E alt+v
    alt+x
    alt+c
    (Held down of course) to paste/cut/copy

Sent from my: SM-N910T/SQC100-4 T-Mobile 4G LTE
    kirson, coffeeaddict305 and Soapm like this.
    05-12-15 10:07 AM
    SOoooooo why wouldnt you press menu button twice and menu button twice ?

Edit: one menu button twice too many menu buttonsm...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 10:50 AM
    You can tap on the place you want to paste thought. Not a shortcut, but gets the work done.
    05-12-15 10:51 AM
    SOooooooooooooo

What's the point of this great keyboard if there isn't a hardware shortcut to copy/paste text

I.E alt+v
    alt+x
    alt+c

There is absolutely no reason in the world for this feature not to be offered. Kind of a mind numbing oversight, in my opinion.
    fanaticalman2, eji930 and Soapm like this.
    05-12-15 10:56 AM
    You can tap on the place you want to paste thought. Not a shortcut, but gets the work done.
    Sometimes it's not working, nothing appears when you tap. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    eji930 likes this.
    05-12-15 11:16 AM
    Sometimes it's not working, nothing appears when you tap. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Tap and hold on something and you'll get the select/copy/cut icons. Copy the thing you want.

Tap on any field, the past icon will come up, either on top or below the glass.
    05-12-15 11:40 AM
    Well, you see, you wouldn't have this issue if you didn't use the trackpad.

But soooooo many people asked for that archaic method of input back, that Blackberry listened to their customers. People who now complain their old phones were still better, and who refuse to learn how to use modern technology.

Nevermind that the trackpad isn't made nor well optimized for the OS.

Copy and Paste on my passport is very nice and simple, if you ask me the 3 row capacitive keyboard is a great way to do things, and going back to outdated methods for ungrateful people will not fix things.

So I'm glad you have your trackpad back. Stop complaining.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-12-15 11:46 AM

But soooooo many people asked for that archaic method of input back, that Blackberry listened to their customers. People who now complain their old phones were still better, and who refuse to learn how to use modern technology.

Copy and Paste on my passport is very nice and simple, if you ask me the 3 row capacitive keyboard is a great way to do things, and going back to outdated methods for ungrateful people will not fix things.

Work Wide and Prosper
    How in the world can adding a feature that some people want, and that can be easily implemented through tweaking the software, be a bad thing? How in the world can listening to customer requests and addressing them be seen as not improving the product? I just don't get this attitude that change makes it better. I'm not saying it makes it worse, but why not give customers more options? That was the beauty of BBOS, and it could be the beauty of BB10 if they would just listen!
    05-12-15 12:58 PM

Work Wide and Prosper
    Why are you so harsh to him? The toolbelt+ trackpad implemitation on the old Bolds is the best!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    vanrickman likes this.
    05-12-15 01:05 PM
    SOooooooooooooo

I.E alt+v
    alt+x
    alt+c

Um, because:
    Alt+v = ?
    Alt+x = 8
    Alt+c = 9

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    spike12 and 3_M4N like this.
    05-12-15 01:25 PM
    There is absolutely no reason in the world for this feature not to be offered. Kind of a mind numbing oversight, in my opinion.
    Yah, absolutely no reason... except the fact that those combinations are already used to type things. And no, they shouldn't make it so while something is highlighted that those things are replaced with those functions because sometimes you highlight to replace the text with something else. Highlighting text isn't exclusively for copying and cutting you know...

05-12-15 01:27 PM
    Yah, absolutely no reason... except the fact that those combinations are already used to type things. And no, they shouldn't make it so while something is highlighted that those things are replaced with those functions because sometimes you highlight to replace the text with something else. Highlighting text isn't exclusively for copying and cutting you know...

Oh, right. Sorry. I missed the fact that at this point we're clean out of key combinations to implement copy/cut/paste. Such a shame. If only it were possible to come up with some sort of other key combination...
    eji930 likes this.
    05-12-15 03:23 PM
    Very often when people say things like this, they gave very little thought and there's plenty of reasons (Bill Mahar for example happens often). It's very rare when it's actually true. I haven't owned a keyboard BlackBerry for like 5 years, and that was an instant thought about different symbol as the reason.

Protip: So next time something has "no reason in the world", think harder and you might understand the true implications or reasoning.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 03:30 PM
    Um, because:
    Alt+v = ?
    Alt+x = 8
    Alt+c = 9

Hey! That's what I get!

Posted using my physical keyboard on my BlackBerry Classic.
    05-12-15 03:39 PM
    Oh, right. Sorry. I missed the fact that at this point we're clean out of key combinations to implement copy/cut/paste. Such a shame. If only it were possible to come up with some sort of other key combination...
    Alt+any key has a resulting symbol/number. Shift+any is the capital of that letter. What combinations do you speak of? Can you provide an example?

05-12-15 04:15 PM
    Alt+any key has a resulting symbol/number. Shift+any is the capital of that letter. What combinations do you speak of? Can you provide an example?

Sure. <z><x> for cut, <z><c> for copy, <z><v> for paste. Or, press and hold <x> for cut, <c> for copy, <v> for paste. Though not having a BB10 QWERTY device to check it out on, I'm not sure if those are already dedicated. The point is there are LOTS of key combinations available. You could even go so far as suggesting they allow users to define their preferred key combinations. All easy.
    eji930 likes this.
    05-12-15 04:52 PM
    Very often when people say things like this, they gave very little thought and there's plenty of reasons (Bill Mahar for example happens often). It's very rare when it's actually true. I haven't owned a keyboard BlackBerry for like 5 years, and that was an instant thought about different symbol as the reason.

Protip: So next time something has "no reason in the world", think harder and you might understand the true implications or reasoning.

Posted via CB10
    I find that very often when people display blind loyalty to an idea or a product, they give very little thought to keeping an open mind. But your point is well taken - when dealing with fanaticism, probably best not to employ hyperbole. So, for ease of reference, let me restate my comment. "I can see very little reason for this feature not to be offered, and most of those reasons that I can see appear to me to be pretty easily resolved." Thanks for the help.
    eji930 likes this.
    05-12-15 04:57 PM
    Uhm... I don't have classic.... but bbos is NOT alt v x etc... why would classic be??

Bbos was is alt+click trackpad, shift+click trackpad

If that doesn't work on the classic... smh@bb

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    05-12-15 05:04 PM
    Sure. <z><x> for cut, <z><c> for copy, <z><v> for paste. Or, press and hold <x> for cut, <c> for copy, <v> for paste. Though not having a BB10 QWERTY device to check it out on, I'm not sure if those are already dedicated. The point is there are LOTS of key combinations available. You could even go so far as suggesting they allow users to define their preferred key combinations. All easy.
    Um, but pressing a regular key would start typing. Would you have to be perfectly in sync with both keys or else everything you highlighted just disappears and is replaced with whatever is the first letter you hit first by a split second??

05-12-15 05:13 PM
    Uhm... I don't have classic.... but bbos is NOT alt v x etc... why would classic be??

Bbos was is alt+click trackpad, shift+click trackpad

If that doesn't work on the classic... smh@bb

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    See, now someone is thinking. Right now, alt-trackpad brings up the side menu with copy highlighted so you just have to click again. So it's not quite as awesome as bbos, but it's only one extra step. I do wish they make it like bbos though. And paste is the same, alt-trackpad after copying will bring up the side menu with paste highlighted, so you just press the trackpad again.

So you highlight using shift-trackpad, the alt+trackpad(twice in a row), the go to where you want to paste, and alt+trackpad-trackpad again to paste. Not too bad actually, just double click the trackpad.

I am on 10.3.2.500 in case this feature is new to this build.

05-12-15 05:18 PM
    Um, but pressing a regular key would start typing. Would you have to be perfectly in sync with both keys or else everything you highlighted just disappears and is replaced with whatever is the first letter you hit first by a split second??

I wouldn't think so. I guess it's possible this would create kind of a flicker when the device first typed a letter, then corrected to the intended behavior. But, more likely, the OS could be modified to interpret releasing the <z> key as the instruction to type the letter z, while holding it down wouldn't cause any change to the screen at all. And, presumably, you could combine with the SYM key (unless already set to immediately drive a certain behavior) , or the MENU/BB key, or event the BACK key - all of which, like the letter z, could be set to respond to being released rather than pressed, which would leave open the ability to combine with other key presses.
    05-12-15 05:25 PM
    See, now someone is thinking. Right now, alt-trackpad brings up the side menu with copy highlighted so you just have to click again. So it's not quite as awesome as bbos, but it's only one extra step. I do wish they make it like bbos though. And paste is the same, alt-trackpad after copying will bring up the side menu with paste highlighted, so you just press the trackpad again.

So you highlight using shift-trackpad, the alt+trackpad(twice in a row), the go to where you want to paste, and alt+trackpad-trackpad again to paste. Not too bad actually, just double click the trackpad.

I am on 10.3.2.500 in case this feature is new to this build.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the point is not specifically which key combinations should be used, but rather that we should be able to use simple key combination to get the result we could in BBOS. And no, double tapping the menu key is not the end of the world, but it is still another step, and even more if you want to CUT rather than COPY.
    05-12-15 05:34 PM
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the point is not specifically which key combinations should be used, but rather that we should be able to use simple key combination to get the result we could in BBOS. And no, double tapping the menu key is not the end of the world, but it is still another step, and even more if you want to CUT rather than COPY.
    Unless I'm mistaken, BBOS didn't have a separate combo for cut rather than copy either... I believe it was just one to copy, the other to paste. It's been years since I've used a BBOS device, so I could be wrong.

05-12-15 05:41 PM
    So shift+trackpad does the same thing, so hold shift and drag the trackpad to highlight, then without releasing the shift, just click the trackpad and click again and you'd copy the highlighted. The shift (or alt) + double click trackpad to paste. It's not too bad...

05-12-15 05:46 PM
    Unless I'm mistaken, BBOS didn't have a separate combo for cut rather than copy either... I believe it was just one to copy, the other to paste. It's been years since I've used a BBOS device, so I could be wrong.

SHIFT and BACKSPACE to Cut. ALT and TRACKPAD to Copy. SHIFT and TRACKPAD to Paste.
    05-12-15 05:47 PM
48 12