04-15-15 09:43 AM
27 12
tools
    Does anyone notice how much faster you can type than the person you are messaging?

I usually have 3 or 4 messages sent by the time I get a reply back.

There are two (2) things that would make typing faster on this BB10 Classic:

1) Spell Check so when you hit a short cut key it would prompt you to the miss spelled words.

2) Speed up the copy, paste and cut to be as fast as the Bold OS7. This is the one thing I hate the most is having to move the highlighted area to what you want copied with gestures. 3x faster using the track ball on OS7. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 09:34 AM
    None of my friends can keep up with the typing speeds I achieve on a Z30 (or Z10, or the 9780 I had previously).

The the "magnifying glass" is tricky at times, but there here is a nice tip: You don't always have to tap/hold/drag it to the place you need to correct. Say you tap and you miss by three characters. tap three times on that direction and there you have it.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-13-15 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

Any other tips

Slagman5 showed me how to change the short cut I reassigned EVERYTHING except the W key

Love the short cuts

After 4 months with this phone I have it all dialed in. I'm glad I paid full $$ for it at launch. There is just to much going on the keep up let alone catch up. If you want optimum performance you have to up load the latest OS leaks and read how to improve.

Btw. I cut off my index finger in November so I actually type faster on the Classic. If I have to type any thing more than a few paragraphs. It is faster for me to type it on Memo Pad then share it to either emails, Hootsuite or BlackBerry Links where I can share it to multiple accounts. On a PC sharing is slower.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 10:46 AM
    None of my friends can keep up with the typing speeds I achieve on a Z30 (or Z10, or the 9780 I had previously).

The the "magnifying glass" is tricky at times, but there here is a nice tip: You don't always have to tap/hold/drag it to the place you need to correct. Say you tap and you miss by three characters. tap three times on that direction and there you have it.
    Again thanks for the tip.

I just got done replacing the screen on a Z10. I used it for 1 week last August and did not like 10.1. I have since loaded the latest leak and use it on WiFi only as a second device to split up my 10 Twitter accounts.

After 2 weeks on it I still don't understand how you can type faster on a gesture screen. Maybe in another 2 weeks I will have a different opinion. The keyboard on the Z30 must be fabulous

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 10:57 AM
    Oh yeah my friends think I've paired my phone to the computer and am typing on a keyboard. I tell them I am typing on a keyboard...BlackBerry keyboard!

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-13-15 11:59 AM
    Yeah... I know the feeling.

When I chat via whatsapp with a friend (Iphone/Android) I see the 'writing' sign for ages, and in the end they sent a small sentence.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-13-15 12:40 PM
    Again thanks for the tip.

I just got done replacing the screen on a Z10. I used it for 1 week last August and did not like 10.1. I have since loaded the latest leak and use it on WiFi only as a second device to split up my 10 Twitter accounts.

After 2 weeks on it I still don't understand how you can type faster on a gesture screen. Maybe in another 2 weeks I will have a different opinion. The keyboard on the Z30 must be fabulous
    Well, I never said mistakes don't happen. I do mistype from time to time and even the suggestions some times mess things up royally.

But the thing is: It's a paradigm shift. In order to type that fast, I let go of control. I just type. I trust the OS to correct whatever it is I don't spell properly. I type, like I said in a post long ago "like a madman". I dont usually flick words up unless typing one handed.

That's the secret. While on a physical qwerty, you are in full control mode, on a BB10 touchscreen, you let the OS do its thing.

Comparing the Z10 and the Z30, the keyboard is indeed better on the Z30, since it's a slightly larger device. More screen, more keyboard, more accuracy.

But I loved typing on the Z10 and I love it even more on the Z30. BB10's fault.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-13-15 01:23 PM
    Yeah... I know the feeling.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!!

Ia Ia fhtagn!!!
    chflower likes this.
    04-13-15 01:27 PM
    Well, I never said mistakes don't happen. I do mistype from time to time and even the suggestions some times mess things up royally.

But the thing is: It's a paradigm shift. In order to type that fast, I let go of control. I just type. I trust the OS to correct whatever it is I don't spell properly. I type, like I said in a post long ago "like a madman". I dont usually flick words up unless typing one handed.

That's the secret. While on a physical qwerty, you are in full control mode, on a BB10 touchscreen, you let the OS do its thing.

Comparing the Z10 and the Z30, the keyboard is indeed better on the Z30, since it's a slightly larger device. More screen, more keyboard, more accuracy.

Is a Spell Check even possible?

Would be nice if BB had it installed as part of the OS

It would definitely bring more people to this platform

My son in law always gives me a bad time about using an "antique" BlackBerry, I don't say anything but I can sure type 3 to 4 times faster on the Classic.

btw: Using a PC for this post and I can't navigate because I do not have a "J" home key. ( no finger) lol
    04-13-15 03:26 PM
    Btw. I cut off my index finger in November so I actually type faster on the Classic.
    I surely hope that I don't have to do this to start typing faster on my Classic Is this recommended by BlackBerry to achieve faster WPM? LOL
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-13-15 03:33 PM
    Is a Spell Check even possible?

Would be nice if BB had it installed as part of the OS
    Surely you noticed it marks stuff you wrote wrong with a red underline... It is indeed backed into the OS, and most of the times you won't even see that, since the OS will correct word.

My son in law always gives me a bad time about using an "antique" BlackBerry, I don't say anything but I can sure type 3 to 4 times faster on the Classic.
    Your son in law - excuse my language - is a halfwit. The Classic was released this year and runs 10.3.1. There isn't anything ancient about it.
    Last edited by diegonei; 04-13-15 at 08:13 PM.
    Mr4aces and Elite1 like this.
    04-13-15 07:29 PM
    Spell Check like on a PC goes from one miss spelled word to the next

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 10:28 PM
    I am faster on Z30 definitely, I am still trying to understand how Spell Correction works on Classic.

With Classic I am more accurate but slower, most of the times when I type something wrong, the Classic does not correct it, in Z30 this thing would not happen.

Maybe I was getting too lazy to type right or current smartphones made me lazy typer.

...but I am in love with Classic

From my Classic
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-14-15 08:18 PM
    Hi Dean, sorry to hear about your finger, what happened?

During a pretty intense plant startup in recent weeks, I've been coordinating my client's crew with a Classic in right hand while simultaneously coordinating my crew via 9900 in left hand. Not too good at actually typing simultaneously but save a ton of time replying on one hand while waiting for reply on the other. VERY effective! My 3 "top hands" have been experimenting with similar techniques. Almost as intense as some of your activities.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-14-15 10:27 PM

Some professions can tolerate more "errors" and "auto-corrections" than others. FWIW.
    04-14-15 10:30 PM
    @idssteve chop saw last Nov

I know you IT will figure a way to make thing faster

I wish I had a degree in electrical engineering so I could scab a better phone together.

Dean

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 10:39 PM
    @idssteve chop saw last Nov

I know you IT will figure a way to make thing faster

I wish I had a degree in electrical engineering so I could scab a better phone together.

Dean

Posted via CB10
    Well, some days i feel more like a preschool administrator than a EE... lol Seriously tho, it's a rare privilege to work with, and even share the same room with, such a gifted collection of Mensa tinkerers. My "3 wise men" are chomping to get back to our home facility to play with 8255... just to see what's possible and how other platforms managed to leverage it's capabilities.. We're relatively tiny so our resources have limits, tho. Unfortunately, we're large enough to have a legal department to answer to so... that's all i can say.... lol

I have hopes for the Classic but it IS a hand full, by day's end. Using a 99 in left hand and a Classic in right hand all day leaves the right hand pretty fatigued. Left hand is ready for more, by day's end. My Classic type rate is approaching my 99 use but not there yet.

BTW, much of our text entry involves nomenclature that simply can't tolerate "auto correction". For our special case, there are days when 90% of everything we enter would get flagged by "spell check" so i honestly can't speak much about Classic's spell check. Sounds like MS Word style spell check might be nice for "normal" applications, i think.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-14-15 11:32 PM
    I have a problem messaging my brother. He types in landscape mode on a samsung note 3. Lol. I'm like what you can't bang it out in portrait on that huge thing? He types kind of slowly.

But yeah. I am not the quickest typist but seem to be quicker than most of the folks I consistently message.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-15-15 03:26 AM
    Well, some days i feel more like a preschool administrator than a EE... lol Seriously tho, it's a rare privilege to work with, and even share the same room with, such a gifted collection of Mensa tinkerers. My "3 wise men" are chomping to get back to our home facility to play with 8255... just to see what's possible and how other platforms managed to leverage it's capabilities.. We're relatively tiny so our resources have limits, tho. Unfortunately, we're large enough to have a legal department to answer to so... that's all i can say.... lol

I have hopes for the Classic but it IS a hand full, by day's end. Using a 99 in left hand and a Classic in right hand all day leaves the right hand pretty fatigued. Left hand is ready for more, by day's end. My Classic type rate is approaching my 99 use but not there yet.

BTW, much of our text entry involves nomenclature that simply can't tolerate "auto correction". For our special case, there are days when 90% of everything we enter would get flagged by "spell check" so i honestly can't speak much about Classic's spell check. Sounds like MS Word style spell check might be nice for "normal" applications, i think.
    Can't you just manually add your "nomenclature" to the BB dictionary? I've added many unique work related words to the my Passport dictionary.

Posted using my BlackBerry Passport.
    04-15-15 03:54 AM
    @Hplovecraft

Yeah I know what you mean. This Z10 is still faster than my wife's Samaung

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 07:20 AM
    @diegonei

I'm taking your suggestion to just type away on the Z10. I think the auto correct is faster and better on a virtual m
    KB

....... but the Classic is still faster for me

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    04-15-15 07:26 AM
    Key board behaviour has drastically deteriorated on my Z3,Z30 and my Passport ever since an official Beta upgrade to 10.3.2. Non dictionary words are not memorised any more. Mail ids are not remembered for suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-15-15 08:21 AM
    @diegonei

I'm taking your suggestion to just type away on the Z10. I think the auto correct is faster and better on a virtual m
    KB

....... but the Classic is still faster for me
    Whatever works. If it works, I'm pro that.

Key board behaviour has drastically deteriorated on my Z3,Z30 and my Passport ever since an official Beta upgrade to 10.3.2. Non dictionary words are not memorised any more. Mail ids are not remembered for suggestions.
    Settings > Language Input and clear all that stuff. Let it start learning again.
    Mr4aces and Madhuchandran like this.
    04-15-15 08:39 AM
    They are not using a BB and are busy correcting.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-15-15 08:42 AM
    Yes the Classic is way faster. Than other people's phone.

So the OS remembers your individual dialog?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 09:08 AM
27 12