I've had the Classic for a week now, coming from the Torch 9810. For me personally, BB10 hasn't been an improvement or a pleasant experience.
    I understand there is a big difference between the OS's, but where OS7 is clean and simple BB10 is disjointed and confused. Menus and settings are all over the place, and simple customisations are either not possible or too confusing to work out. Go to Blackberry world and there is no option to sort or filter apps. Shazam is not even available for the Classic! WTF?! The LED managing app called 'advanced OS and LED was an app that got the up most out of the notification LED and not only is it not on BB10, there is no LED managing app that is half as customizable. It's literally a step back.
    Why is there a menu key on the screen!? And in some menu's there is a 'more' button that goes to a page with only one other option or the same option as the first page. Honestly simple is always better. If you want to change sms settings, it would make sense that you open text messaging, press the menu key and go to options. Same goes for BBM and email. But on BB10 It is laborious and just too bloody hard. Profiles on OS7 was a case of pressing the icon in the top left corner and selecting and or customising the profile you want, now it's just a joke.
    The keyboard is great and the battery life is pretty good too. But not enough to 'upgrade' for. It's sad that we live in a world where we are programmed and conditioned into buying the latest and 'greatest' but it gets to a point where there just isn't room for improvement, so operating systems are just chopped, changed and tweaked to produce a different product to flog to the masses.
    I've been holding out to upgrade (I'm not even sure why) and although I really want to like the Classic and haven't had it long, I can't see me being anything but disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:21 AM
    Yes, it is a change, and things have been moved around. Have you gone thru the windows OS change, like from Xp to win 7? Win 7 to Win 8? They changed a few things, moved a few things, just takes some time to get used to it and get your device tweaked and set, just like a pc.

Led Notifier app? Have you tried BeeBuzz Pro? Power Tools?

I went thru the same change from a Torch 9850 OS7, and yes, things were moved and some things changed, but now, there is now way I would ever go back to a previous OS.......

Give yourself a bit more time with the device.........
    TinMan555 and nbaliga like this.
    02-06-15 09:43 AM
    All of what you are complaining about is just a learning curve. There are LED apps out there to do what you are asking and aside from what Carl stated there is also Hub ++.
    02-06-15 11:21 AM
    I've had the Classic for a week now, coming from the Torch 9810. For me personally, BB10 hasn't been an improvement or a pleasant experience.
    Having came from a 9900, there is a definite learning curve, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant by any stretch of the imagination. After you get it set up the way you like it, it's almost a walk in the park- well at least for me it is and I'm still learning.

You should have seen my wife after I took away her beloved flip phone; she was kicking and screaming all the way. Now she's starting to get the hang of it just a 'mear' two months later.

I understand there is a big difference between the OS's, but where OS7 is clean and simple BB10 is disjointed and confused.
    I'll give you OS7 was simple, but there is just no way I would ever go back to using a 9800 again- or for that matter the 9900.
    Profiles on OS7 was a case of pressing the icon in the top left corner and selecting and or customising the profile you want, now it's just a joke.
    As having never used a classic before, all I can tell you is on my Z10 it's a simple swipe down from the top, touch notifications and pick your poison. Simple enough to do I would think.
    The keyboard is great and the battery life is pretty good too. But not enough to 'upgrade' for. It's sad that we live in a world where we are programmed and conditioned into buying the latest and 'greatest' but it gets to a point where there just isn't room for improvement, so operating systems are just chopped, changed and tweaked to produce a different product to flog to the masses.
    I'm not into having the latest and greatest. Heck for years and years I gardened with a crank start 1939 Farmall 'A'. O yeah, after a divorce I finally did upgrade to a 1948 W6 that had electric start, but if really care to, it still has a crank...
    I've been holding out to upgrade (I'm not even sure why) and although I really want to like the Classic and haven't had it long, I can't see me being anything but disappointed. Posted via CB10
    Not everything is made for everyone. You have to find whatever works for you.

Good luck in all you do.
    Regards,
    HereticHermit likes this.
    02-06-15 11:49 AM
    Not everything is made for everyone. You have to find whatever works for you.

Good luck in all you do.
    Regards,
    ^^^^^^^^^this. If you want simple, go iphone. If you want an adventure, stay BB.
    duboisstephane0 and Sulaco757 like this.
    02-06-15 12:20 PM
    I agree around the Classic there lacks consistency of menus, fonts and settings; can only hope OS updates fixes these.

Classic UI and navigation is touch biased causing OS7 toolbelt users to suffer a bit.

Only way I see this getting ideal for OS7 people is to have a main setting to toggle between touch preferred or trackpad preferred operation. This happening is about as likely as Paris Hilton being a virgin.

Best to hope for is improvements or features from OS7 to be added in updates.
    02-06-15 12:25 PM
    I have been a BBOS user for many years and after more than a year with BB10 I can say that I do not miss anything from the old OS.

It was slow and buggy. Now I have a performing device, and battery pulls are absolutely forgotten. I can execute Android apps when needed and overall it is a much more advanced experience in every way.

The only thing I miss about BBOS is the market share they had back in the good old days.

 Z30 - 10.3.1.1949
    02-06-15 12:29 PM
    I seriously don't get it.
    If my kids, ranging from 3 to 14 yrs of age are able to use BB10, i don't understand how older people don't.
    In this age, unless you are 80, we are totally immersed in technology.

....at least paper and pencil still exist for those unwilling to learn.

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A, RWB3325, alan510 and 9 others like this.
    02-06-15 12:36 PM
    lol
    02-06-15 12:43 PM
    OS7 is "clean and simple"?

lol

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-06-15 12:47 PM
    I seriously don't get it.
    If my kids, ranging from 3 to 14 yrs of age are able to use BB10, i don't understand how older people don't.
    In this age, unless you are 80, we are totally immersed in technology.

....at least paper and pencil still exist for those unwilling to learn.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed 100%
    Some people though
    02-06-15 01:39 PM
    I understand there is a big difference between the OS's, but where OS7 is clean and simple BB10 is disjointed and confused. Menus and settings are all over the place, and simple customisations are either not possible or too confusing to work out. Go to Blackberry world and there is no option to sort or filter apps. Shazam is not even available for the Classic! WTF?! The LED managing app called 'advanced OS and LED was an app that got the up most out of the notification LED and not only is it not on BB10, there is no LED managing app that is half as customizable. It's literally a step back.
    Why is there a menu key on the screen!? And in some menu's there is a 'more' button that goes to a page with only one other option or the same option as the first page. Honestly simple is always better. If you want to change sms settings, it would make sense that you open text messaging, press the menu key and go to options. Same goes for BBM and email. But on BB10 It is laborious and just too bloody hard. Profiles on OS7 was a case of pressing the icon in the top left corner and selecting and or customising the profile you want, now it's just a joke.
    I've been holding out to upgrade (I'm not even sure why) and although I really want to like the Classic and haven't had it long, I can't see me being anything but disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    Ok

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:07 PM
    OS7 is "clean and simple"?

lol

Posted via CB10
    And BB10 doesn't have the spinning hourglass. I really miss that.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    02-06-15 05:55 PM
    I moved from my beloved 9900 to the Z10 -Q10 and now Classic. Love OS10. Fast, Hub is amazing, Blend is so convenient, StoryMaker is a cool feature, having DLNA, Miracast, USB2GO have been great with our other devices. All in all, it has moved us BlackBerry users forward.

Posted via Classic
    02-06-15 06:00 PM
    There is no way in heck I'm going back to prebb10. It's miles improved. No. Leaps and bounds.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 06:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    I miss Adv OS L.E.D. more than you do, but what you're looking for is baked into the OS already. From the Home Screen - swipe down, select notifications, select Normal, select Customize App Notifications...here, you can customize to your hearts content.

The Menu key must be part of the Tool Belt assembly, which isn't present on other OS10 devices. That happened because a small minority had trouble using full touch screen, and cursor placement, so BB catered to them and created the redundant redundancy. In this case, blame the ones that require spoon feeding, the Tool Belt is the bib.

I wouldn't call the Classic the latest nor greatest, by any stretch. It's a recycled Q10, with refined abilities and extra hard keys. The Passport on the other hand, THAT'S the latest and greatest! And for you to expect BBOS to feel like OS10 is premature on your part. Having not experienced OS10, you should have expected to learn something new, relieving yourself of something old. Sounds like BBOS had you programmed and conditioned, huh?
    02-06-15 06:27 PM
    OK ok, obviously people think the Classic/bb10 is awesome and that I'm a whinger. The thing is, I know there are LED managers out there and I've tried a few but they have limitations compared to before. I had unlimited different colours, combinations and speeds for : standby, each contacts, no data, no signal, while charging, when full charged, when battery low, individual email accounts etc. So if these apps available atm can't do all of that, we'll (for me) it's a step back.
    As for the menus OMG. I will give you an example : click on the clock icon and you want to change the clock face. So you press the physical menu button? Nope not there. Ok press the on screen menu key? Nope not there. You actually have to swipe down from the top to find settings!? What the? 3 menu options in the native clock app? Come on, no one could convince me that is an improvement let alone convenient.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TinMan555; 02-07-15 at 07:54 PM. Reason: miss spell
    02-06-15 06:36 PM
    OK ok, obviously people think the Classic/bb10 is awesome and that I'm a whinger. The thing is I know the is LED managers out there and I've tried a few but they have limitations compared to before. I had unlimited different colours, combinations and speeds for : standby, each contacts, no data, no signal, while charging, when full charged, when battery low, individual email accounts etc. So if these apps available atm can't do all of that, we'll (for me) it's a step back.
    As for the menus OMG. I will give you an example : click on the clock icon and you want to change the clock face. So you press the physical menu button? Nope not there. Ok press the on screen menu key? Nope not there. You actually have to swipe down from the top to find settings!? What the? 3 menu options in the native clock app? Come on, no one could convince me that is an improvement let alone convenient.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    All advanced (i.e. not frequently used) app settings have always been accessed via the swipe from the top. The 'menu' item on the screen that you referred to is actually an 'overflow' item, meant to be used as a way of sliding the 'top pane' to the right and seeing what's underneath (i.e. other panes). Try sliding it to the right instead of just tapping it, you'll see what I mean. That's why the underlying development environment is called 'Cascades'.

As for the physical menu key not really being a menu key. That's because it was never meant to be there in the first place... but they added it *just* for folk like you. Luckily you can still get BB10 devices with hardware designed for how the gesture-based OS was meant to be used.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-06-15 07:55 PM
    Anyone know where I can buy the Hozier Album on 8 track? I don't know why the music industry keeps trying to get me to accept cassettes, wait I meant CDs, hold on they moved to mp3 right? Next thing you know they will set up something like streaming and charge a subscription fee. Fools! 8 tracks are here to stay!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:38 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is a lot better than bb os. I have 3 BlackBerry 10 devices and don't miss any of my bbos devices. I had most of them, starting with the curve 8310. Do you miss having to pull the battery? Or the phone freezing from low memory? Or how about how bad the apps would perform. Give it a little time, you will get used to it and see all of the advantages of this great os.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 08:50 PM
    OK ok, obviously people think the Classic/bb10 is awesome and that I'm a whinger.
    You are not a whiner, you are simply noticing different ways BB10 works or lacks.
    TinMan555 and flyingsolid like this.
    02-06-15 08:55 PM
    I am a doughnut.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:08 PM
    Anyone who still embraces OS7 over BB10 is just addicted to it. I however, am addicted to BB10...

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    02-06-15 09:21 PM
    OP, you really need to spend more time trying the device. BB10 at launch, 2 years ago, was not the same OS it is today. Back then you could complain and you would be right, but today it is completely different story. I had BBOS 5 on my 9700 when I bought it and when I say that current OS is just the best mobile OS on the market - it really is. Just take the HUB itself that's not present in Lollipop and there are many others. My wife, who used Torch1 and Torch2, tried the Z10 and told me she would definitely get Torch 3 when it'll come.
    One of the VP's in the company I worked for was cursing his Torch2 for not being able to run Android apps and jumped on BB10 only with Classic.
    To conclude, I do not really get it like many other folks here. I cannot imagine going back to OS7 when I get to play with my wife's white Torch2. Even the Brick Breaker on Classic is amazing.

Posted via CB10
    TinMan555 likes this.
    02-06-15 09:43 PM
    I miss Adv OS L.E.D. more than you do, but what you're looking for is baked into the OS already. From the Home Screen - swipe down, select notifications, select Normal, select Customize App Notifications...here, you can customize to your hearts content.
    Haha that's funny. Thanks bro.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-06-15 11:09 PM
76 123 ...