The moment I started using the q10, I felt the need for trackpad. And it still itches me to date even with all the goodness of gestures and touch.
    I am happy that BlackBerry has fibally understood what the average BlackBerry user needs!
    Pete The Penguin and acovey like this.
    02-25-14 08:13 PM
    Poor comparison. A BB OS 7 IS old technology. This is merely adding an old PROVEN feature back into the NEW platform. It's still BB10, it still has a touchscreen, it still has all of the same gestures. Adding familiar features does not mean the device is magically "old" now despite what you want to think. And if it successfully brings a bunch of legacy BB hold-outs onto BB10, is that a bad thing? The press is already bad on BB, you think they will say anything positive had they not announced this? Come on, get real. The media will always bad-mouth BB no matter what. This isn't going to change or add to it...
    I wonder how the landscape would have looked had Google released their first Android phone which was a copy of a Bold.

Instead, they elected to copy the touch-screen path that Apple set out on.

I'm looking forward to the trackpad on BB10.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-25-14 08:13 PM
    Then don't get it, wait for the next qwerty without it, or buy an all-touch...
    Good thing I have a Z10!

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:18 PM
    Good thing I have a Z10!

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. BlackBerry is trying to appeal to more people. You enjoy your Z10, for those who want bigger screens there is the Z30. I enjoy my Q10, for those who want bigger screens the Q30 will be coming also. And for those on BBOS who want a newer OS with the trackpad and function keys, they will have the Q20.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    02-25-14 09:29 PM
    Good thing I have a Z10!

Posted via CB10
    Yep, congrats. Enjoy it. Now those of us who want the trackpad and buttons will look forward to more details of the Q20.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-25-14 09:31 PM
    Yep, congrats. Enjoy it. Now those of us who want the trackpad and buttons will look forward to more details of the Q20.

See the front page, the Q20 won't be the only BlackBerry Classic
    acovey likes this.
    02-25-14 09:34 PM
    See the front page, the Q20 won't be the only BlackBerry Classic
    Nor will they discontinue making qwerty phones WITHOUT the "tool belt". BlackBerry giving consumers options, more than other platforms do. Every new iPhone is pretty much a software update now.

acovey, damien kupuku and Anilu7 like this.
    02-25-14 09:38 PM
    Not all against the Q20 design are trolling, but plenty are.

This phone will not be a step back, but will provide Legacy device owners a chance to step forward.

Legacy devices still outsell BB10 devices, maybe this can convert those customers.

And like the hokey pokey ....that's what it's all about! Sure, I'm never going to buy one but people will, and it makes a simple transition to BB10 for legacy users. Essentially putting money in BlackBerry's pocket.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    Last edited by Carjackd; 02-26-14 at 10:29 PM.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-25-14 09:52 PM
    Yeah, all this is doing is giving us OPTIONS, you want to complain about the Q10 not having a "belt" bam well here's your Q20, now drop your legacy device and come to the 10 side. And hey while we are at it, your teens need a new phone with a brand ***** new OS, bam Z3(i understand it's currently for emerging markets). Oh you want a big screen with a big battery? BAM, Z30. If you don't like one? Guess what, YOU have options all within the same great company that has dominated once before. Oh but wait, there's more! Because there are more devices coming to us, BlackBerry is far from done. OP I applaud you again for fighting the trolls, I love the track pad being incorporated it's such a great option.

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    Pete The Penguin and Anilu7 like this.
    02-25-14 10:05 PM
    Poor comparison. A BB OS 7 IS old technology. This is merely adding an old PROVEN feature back into the NEW platform. It's still BB10, it still has a touchscreen, it still has all of the same gestures. Adding familiar features does not mean the device is magically "old" now despite what you want to think. And if it successfully brings a bunch of legacy BB hold-outs onto BB10, is that a bad thing? The press is already bad on BB, you think they will say anything positive had they not announced this? Come on, get real. The media will always bad-mouth BB no matter what. This isn't going to change or add to it...
    My point was that this is a bridge to the legacy users. To impose a hardware bridge is expensive, and does not fully do the new platform justice which was designed to operate without it. Again, doing a software built that can be disabled once a user gains familiarity with the platform would have been better.

If the press is already Bad on BlackBerry what makes you think will make it better? This is fuel for the fire. To think this will have no impact shows you are out of touch with how bad their image is, particularly in the US.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:06 PM
    My point was that this is a bridge to the legacy users. To impose a hardware bridge is expensive, and does not fully do the new platform justice which was designed to operate without it. Again, doing a software built that can be disabled once a user gains familiarity with the platform would have been better.

If the press is already Bad on BlackBerry what makes you think will make it better? This is fuel for the fire. To think this will have no impact shows you are out of touch with how bad their image is, particularly in the US.

Posted via CB10
    Valid point. But what if the track pad is designed a different way? There are no legitimate photos of this Q20, only renders or ideas. So who's to say exactly how it will look and feel? What if it's not in the way? What if it's innovated in such a way where one can choose, at convenience, to hide it?
    See, we just don't know. So to make plain assumptions is utterly wrong.

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    Anilu7 likes this.
    02-25-14 10:10 PM
    over on the other CrackBerry.com there's this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...t-hate-908918/

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:11 PM
    I'm all honesty, releasing a device in 2014 (or late 2014 to be more specific) with physical buttons and a trackpad when they were publicly denounced over 3 years is bad. To think of what the press will say over this when it is released is a nightmare.

I get why this is being released- to push the BBos folks forward, but it would have been better done through a virtual implementation without eating up so much real estate. Those people that want this should see the benefits of more real estate on screen, and have the legacy option to toggle this.

Apart from every thighs already cited, this fragments the OS into variants with hardware keys and those without. Developers already have pains between the Q, Z Lines and this will only add another layer.

Public perception of this will and probably is already Bad. The belt is iconic blackberry, more specific - iconic Java BlackBerry. Hourglass, low memory, horrible camera and app support. You want the stigma of all that back? Bb10 is fresh, is gesture based and arguably you don't need the those buttons. To take another step back like this will only cause more people to lose confidence in direction of the company.

Tell me OP, we're you happy when Thor announced a new OS7 device a few months ago? Just curious. Look up what people said on that one. This has potential go be much much worse.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with your argument is that you seem to believe that BlackBerry has a chance to succeed in the consumer market in the short term.

The "public perception", i.e. tech bloggers, the media and their lackey consumers is that BlackBerry is a tarnished brand to stay away from. They will not buy a BlackBerry no matter what futuristic/amazing innovation they create. So why keep catering to them? Chen has it figured out.

He has turned his focus to the only people who will still buy a BlackBerry no matter what some tool at BGR says about it. Enterprise and prosumers. These people value a trackpad and belt. Simple as that.

And as it has been said many times before, this is only one phone. There will still be all touch phones without it. They're testing the waters. And why shouldnt they? BlackBerry is in dire straits, they should try anything that has a chance to sell. The fact that Chen said that in his first 90 days the trackpad and belt were the most requested feature, is enough. He would be an ***** to ignore it.

Don't even bring up the 9720. TH is/was a moron of epic proportions. Trackpad+belt does not equal inferior specs and java-based OS. It doesnt matter if the mainstream public thinks so, because they are NOT the target market for this product.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:35 PM

Okay all ten of you enjoy that.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 10:40 PM
    I totally agree with OP. WTF is wrong with ppl? Its always good to have choices & options. I've been dying to hear this news for a long time. Many thanks to Mr Chen for listening us.
    02-25-14 10:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    just because a phone doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean there's not a faction of people who want it...the ignorance of some people in these forums is stunning.

Pete The Penguin, RJB55 and Anilu7 like this.
    02-25-14 11:08 PM
    They tend to hate anything which is not following Apple.
    Trolls are the worst thing that happened to the world of technology!

Posted via CB10
    hazarder and Pete The Penguin like this.
    02-25-14 11:12 PM
    What if....

...the trackpad doubled as a fingerprint sensor?

Dun dun duuun!

Then you could call it a new feature instead of an old one haha.
    02-25-14 11:37 PM
    We're pissed because it's a brand new year for blackberry and that's what they came up with.. nothing. Ya it gives you am OPTION but what is the other option? A Q10? Well they sure need to release another one because it's been a year already. What about the people that don't want the belt? Have they forgotten about why BB10 Was designed in the first place?

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    02-26-14 12:31 AM
    I hate BB for giving us toooo many options.(sorry JC)
    slagman5 likes this.
    02-26-14 01:12 AM
    We're pissed because it's a brand new year for blackberry and that's what they came up with.. nothing. Ya it gives you am OPTION but what is the other option? A Q10? Well they sure need to release another one because it's been a year already. What about the people that don't want the belt? Have they forgotten about why BB10 Was designed in the first place?

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    Irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:22 AM
    Trolls?

so now stating a preference is trolling? Dude as much as we have the choice not to use the belt, you have the choice not to read our comments

and yes, after Kevin's comments (see below) now we do have a real choice.

Classic - With a physical keyboard and the "tool belt" making its return, this is where the new Q20 fits in. This is the iconic BlackBerry experience that so many longtime BlackBerry users still love. It may not be a huge growth opportunity, but this is giving those loyal BlackBerry users what they want. Note, don't take the re-introduction of the toolbelt on the Q20 to mean they won't make another Q10-like device without it.

you know, there's a lot of people who love the belt, there a lot of people like me that dont need the belt, the least button the better, when i saw the concept Q30 a few days ago, i got super excited, a 3 rows keyboard, smallest possible, and a rectangular screen!! omg i loved that concept!! i like button, but to write only, not to navigate the OS, the least space the keyboard takes, the better, but hey this is just my opinion!
    02-26-14 01:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    If you think there is something BB can do that will magically change the media's tune, then you're more idealistic than I am. But realistically, no matter what BB does, the media will find a way to show how that's a bad move. They get most of their advertising money from Apple and Samsung. They will do what they can to make sure nobody ever becomes competition for them. This announcement will make no difference in the tune from the media, it'll be just as bad as it was before.
    02-26-14 01:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wow, I guess that's what I get for trying to reason with children...
    Oddsocket and kalphreef like this.
    02-26-14 01:52 AM
    Trolls?

so now stating a preference is trolling? Dude as much as we have the choice not to use the belt, you have the choice not to read our comments

and yes, after Kevin's comments (see below) now we do have a real choice.

Classic - With a physical keyboard and the "tool belt" making its return, this is where the new Q20 fits in. This is the iconic BlackBerry experience that so many longtime BlackBerry users still love. It may not be a huge growth opportunity, but this is giving those loyal BlackBerry users what they want. Note, don't take the re-introduction of the toolbelt on the Q20 to mean they won't make another Q10-like device without it.

you know, there's a lot of people who love the belt, there a lot of people like me that dont need the belt, the least button the better, when i saw the concept Q30 a few days ago, i got super excited, a 3 rows keyboard, smallest possible, and a rectangular screen!! omg i loved that concept!! i like button, but to write only, not to navigate the OS, the least space the keyboard takes, the better, but hey this is just my opinion!
    A preference? clearly you feel like this was directed at you for some reason. If you are not a troll then you also had the choice to not comment on this thread . If one states a preference I imagine that's fine, but if one continually bashes BlackBerry "what are they doing, this is the dumbest idea ever"; and "oh that's so horrible BlackBerry is traveling to the past" I'm sorry but that's far beyond preference. People that have no optimism, no hope, open thy eyes and see that John Chen is opening doors. But hey this is just my opinion!

Posted via my NEW Zed30
    Pete The Penguin and Anilu7 like this.
    02-26-14 01:55 AM
120 1234 ...