Anyone else think it would be awesome if the Classic has both a trackpad and a trackpad keyboard, with the option to turn one or the other off if needed?

I feel like I'll be torn between the two new devices, one having no toolbelt but has an innovative keyboard while the other has everything I need but no awesome new functionality.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-07-14 08:04 AM
    One problem I see with the Classic having the capacitive keyboard is battery consumption. The Passport has the size to accommodate a huge battery, the Classic not so much.

There is also the price factor: a capacitive keyboard would cost more in itself - and you'll have to add this to the supplemental cost of a larger battery.
    08-07-14 08:18 AM
    I think adding the capacitive keyboard would lead to higher manufacturing costs. In addition the Classic is meant to satisfy BlackBerry users who like the traditional BBRY usage with a trackpad/trackball. So IMHO adding that keyboard wouldn't really fit to what the target audience is expecting or even wants.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    08-07-14 09:41 AM
    It's the nature of the Classic itself - physical keyboard, toolbet, trackpad. . . capacitive keyboard wouldn't really work (IMHO).
    Interesting to see how it works with Passport though!
    Evilguppy and greenberry666 like this.
    08-07-14 10:25 AM
    i have 0 intrest in a keyboard trackpad the current layout of the classic appears to be perfect for my needs

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Mrluky, phuoc, dmlis and 1 others like this.
    08-07-14 02:03 PM
    I think adding the capacitive keyboard would lead to higher manufacturing costs. In addition the Classic is meant to satisfy BlackBerry users who like the traditional BBRY usage with a trackpad/trackball. So IMHO adding that keyboard wouldn't really fit to what the target audience is expecting or even wants.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    I'm with you on this one. The Classic is bringing back the trackpad to get those legacy users to join BB10. Have a capacitive keyboard might just be too much for many of those users

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    08-13-14 11:54 PM
    BB can't mix up things in the classic. They need to avoid confusion in the side of the users. Focusing one device in a feature of itself would be better. Classic for the the legacy lovers. Passport for people looking for a competitive device. Classic doesn't seem to have the need for a capacitive keyboard. So it's better to just put what is needed to avoid extra costs too
    rthonpm and fwayne like this.
    08-14-14 10:52 AM
    I understand the points about not mixing things up too much with the proven 'Classic' formula...at a minimum though, I expect the touch keyboard to be implemented in the next iteration of the Q10.

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    08-21-14 03:30 AM
    I think this very thread belies the fact that the Classic doesn't need the trackpad, what it needs is the trackpad keyboard instead.

It should become the new standard on all PKB BlackBerry phones, but it leaves the Classic as something of an oddity. It may end up being the only one of its kind.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    08-21-14 04:02 AM
    I think this very thread belies the fact that the Classic doesn't need the trackpad, what it needs is the trackpad keyboard instead.

It should become the new standard on all PKB BlackBerry phones, but it leaves the Classic as something of an oddity. It may end up being the only one of its kind.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    Part of the efficiency of track pad is that it segregates the pointing function from the "click" function. Pointed to item doesn't initiate a command untill the pad key is clicked. A click that provides real time tactile feedback.

Difficult to predict how the capacitive keyboard behaves without actually holding one to try. Whether trackpad, or capacitive, the concept of pointing with a cursor, instead of a finger, promises to improve pointing precision over "classic" touch HMI.

Replicating trackpad's physical key "click" with capacitive gestures will be the challenge, IMO. All depends on how physical key "shortcuts" get implemented. Gotta getta Passport in hand to truly evaluate the concept.
    08-21-14 07:53 AM
    Part of the efficiency of track pad is that it segregates the pointing function from the "click" function. Pointed to item doesn't initiate a command untill the pad key is clicked. A click that provides real time tactile feedback.

Difficult to predict how the capacitive keyboard behaves without actually holding one to try. Whether trackpad, or capacitive, the concept of pointing with a cursor, instead of a finger, promises to improve pointing precision over "classic" touch HMI.

Replicating trackpad's physical key "click" with capacitive gestures will be the challenge, IMO. All depends on how physical key "shortcuts" get implemented. Gotta getta Passport in hand to truly evaluate the concept.
    I agree with that. I'm a Z10 user and love the screen size, but the function of the track pad with the separate pointer and ability to properly hover over menus to click the right link or sub menu was something I miss from my 9300. Still seems like the Passport isn't able to either.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 08:39 AM
    I think the Classic should stay true to its name -- having a normal trackpad. The touch/capacitive keyboard is more fitting for another line, like the Passport series, the Q series, or some totally new series.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 09:11 AM
    From what I've seen I don't think the gesture/trackpad keyboard of the Passport is going to give us mouse pointer control, only scrolling in the Browser and flicking up to select suggested words has been demonstrated.

For the OS to know whether you were scrolling, flicking or mouse pointering there could be a virtual mode button or option in the menu on screen to toggle between mouse pointer and scrolling/word flicking. Or maybe if BlackBerry were feeling very smart they could make it make a judgement based on the context and the style of your gesture to try to work out which of three things you were doing.

If the keyboard is as sensitive as a touch screen or a touch pad on a laptop then when controlling the mouse pointer it might be able to differentiate between a mouse movement gesture and a tap to click like on a laptop. If not then instead when moving the mouse pointer the next physical key you fully press could be a traditional trackpad click.

08-21-14 05:14 PM
    Given Blackberry's god-awful history with making the most horrible, unfriendly, unresponsive touchscreen based devices, I really don't want to see classic with that keyboard. If it was there, I'd turn the feature off.
    I hope you're referring to legacy BBOS devices with touchscreens rather than the BB10 devices because they are absolutely not what you described!

Last edited by johnnyuk; 09-05-14 at 06:56 PM.
    09-05-14 05:38 PM
    You are correct. Storm, storm 2 are prime examples.
    So then you aware of the quality of the touch screens on the current BB10 devices?

Both my Z10 and Z30 were a hundred times more responsive then any android I've ever seen and definitely on par with the iPhones

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 08:34 PM
    09-06-14 08:38 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-4865-0-60208100-1410006739.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	296107
    This is how I feel about this picture.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...64/200/acb.jpg
    09-06-14 09:50 AM