Sorry, I consider a power user to be someone who is on their phone all day.
    I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that statement in and of itself is sort of sad, really. Something highly ironic about so-called "power users" being technically illiterate. Perhaps the label "power user" might be mis-applied in this case..
    03-01-14 04:36 PM
    So a memory card is not a memory card anymore?

Samsung calls them memory cards. Since when this is not proper terminology?

Memory Cards - SAMSUNG

Memory, when you are referring to a device and without any other context, refers to RAM. Otherwise there would be no way to distinguish between RAM and storage.

And BTW - in this specific case it did not pertain to "memory cards" anyway. It is internal Flash (ie NAND) storage.

Feel free to prattle on endlessly anyway.
    03-01-14 04:36 PM
    Memory, when you are referring to a device and without any other context, refers to RAM. Otherwise there would be no way to distinguish between RAM and storage.

Here's an idea, we call it RAM like everybody else when we talk about RAM, and internal memory when we talk about internal memory.

Samsung doesn't seem to have a problem with the terminology, why do you?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    03-01-14 04:38 PM

And BTW - in this specific case it did not pertain to "memory cards" anyway. It is internal Flash (ie NAND) storage.

You know damn well I wasn't talking about RAM, but you just had to argue about it.

03-01-14 04:40 PM
    So a memory card is not a memory card anymore?

Samsung calls them memory cards. Since when this is not proper terminology?

http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mem...s-accessories/

You didn't say memory card, you said memory, which is RAM, but you were confusing it with storage.

Memory cards are also known as flash cards because they are made from flash memory, but despite the name they are used for storage and are not a form of internal or external memory but rather a form of internal or external storage.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-01-14 04:57 PM
    You know damn well I wasn't talking about RAM, but you just had to argue about it.

Hardly. Whereas your obsession with being "right" in this case when you clearly are not makes it appear you are just trying to pick fights with people.

If you want people to understand your points, you need to be clear and unambiguous in your communications.

The simple fact that someone (two in this case) points out that you are using ambiguous or incorrect terminology does not make such a person your "automatic enemy".
    03-01-14 05:02 PM
    You didn't say memory card, you said memory, which is RAM, but you were confusing it with storage.

Memory cards are also known as flash cards because they are made from flash memory, but despite the name they are used for storage and are not a form of internal or external memory but rather a form of internal or external storage.

Ok, so BB10 has a problem with disappearing internal storage available for installing applications.

The effect is the same, less "memory" to install apps.

03-01-14 05:18 PM
    Ok, so BB10 has a problem with disappearing internal storage available for installing applications.
    Yay! You got it right.

The effect is the same, less "memory" to install apps.
    And then immediately got it wrong again! Apps are not installed to memory, they run in memory when you load them. They are installed to storage.

03-01-14 05:24 PM
    Yay! You got it right.

And then immediately got it wrong again! Apps are not installed to memory, they run in memory when you load them. They are installed to storage.

I know lol, that's why I wrote it in quotes.

Can we agree they both have a similar problem? While it's different the effect is the same, after a point you can't install anymore apps and you have to perform a wipe to restore it.

03-01-14 05:27 PM
    To the folks in this thread claiming that the belt is no longer necessary... LOL!

Have you ever compared copying and pasting text on a 9900 to a Q10?

How about opening a new browser link on the 9900 via the blackberry button vs trying to touch the screen precisely on the Q10?

And on and on. Please, any Bold 9900 power user will tell you that the belt is an invaluable tool that helps them get s*** done!!! Is that not the point of a Blackberry? It's no wonder business/power users are holding onto their Bolds.

Nothing can match the precision of the trackpad, especially on a smaller screen business phone like the Q10. The Z30/Z10 are more geared towards consumers (not power/business users) so these buttons can be left off of those devices.
    03-01-14 05:44 PM
    Less smudges isn't exactly a bad thing, for me anyway.
    03-01-14 05:55 PM
    any Bold 9900 power user will tell you that the belt is an invaluable tool that helps them get s*** done!!!

And any 1957 Chevrolet owner will tell you that double-clutching is an invaluable tool that helps them get to where they want to go... since there was no such thing as a syncromesh transmission in those days.

Is that not the point of a Blackberry?

I would think the "point" of a Blackberry depends on each user's personal priorities and habits. I have Nikon cameras but the photos I make with them don't necessarily look like every other person's photos shot with the same brand of camera, nor do I use them in exactly the same way everyone else does.

I hope that people will try to refrain from completely polarized characterizations, it doesn't help the discussion.

Both camps have their points, neither is 100% correct.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    03-01-14 07:03 PM
    And any 1957 Chevrolet owner will tell you that double-clutching is an invaluable tool that helps them get to where they want to go... since there was no such thing as a syncromesh transmission in those days.

I would think the "point" of a Blackberry depends on each user's personal priorities and habits. I have Nikon cameras but the photos I make with them don't necessarily look like every other person's photos shot with the same brand of camera, nor do I use them in exactly the same way everyone else does.

I hope that people will try to refrain from completely polarized characterizations, it doesn't help the discussion.

Both camps have their points, neither is 100% correct.
    I'm guessing you're not a power user then.
    03-01-14 07:04 PM
    Computers still use monitors...they have improved over the years, but never the less, the monitor is still just as relevant today as it was when it computers first came out.

The trackpad is certainly a productive way to work the phone. So is swiping. It's good to have the option. That is the only fact in this discussion. Period.
    03-01-14 07:12 PM
    I'm guessing you're not a power user then.

I'm guessing you haven't a clue about many such things, with a statement like that.

In fact, are you just looking to stir trouble up here?
    03-01-14 07:38 PM
    Less smudges isn't exactly a bad thing, for me anyway.
    Sort of embarrassed to admit I'm always cleaning my screen. If I have to do that less that is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 07:40 PM
    Exactly. It's not a terrible thing, but if I have a choice and all things are equal, i'll use the button.
    Sort of embarrassed to admit I'm always cleaning my screen. If I have to do that less that is a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 07:56 PM

I used to always say before I started using full touchscreen devices a lot that I was annoyed about always getting finger grease on the screen.

Lately however I'm less OCD about that, and have noticed that you can typically still see pretty well even if the screen has a thorough coating of finger grease on it. (And I'm fairly picky about such things because among other things I'm a photographer)

I still clean the screen on a heavily used device something like once every day or two, but nothing like I did before.
    03-01-14 08:10 PM
    I'm guessing you haven't a clue about many such things, with a statement like that.

In fact, are you just looking to stir trouble up here?
    A keyboard blackberry without the belt is like a computer without a mouse. Sure you can get things done touching the screen, but its a lot easier to do it with a mouse. It's an invaluable tool. We'll agree to disagree.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-01-14 10:01 PM
    The real reason Blackberry are bringing back the belt is simple:

They finally realised there are more "belfastdispatchers" out there in the real world then users that want BB to be an iphone or android clone, these users seem to make up most of CB right now hence the big disconnect between predominately BBOS users that make up BB user base and BB10 users that practically took over CB.

Most accurate statement thus far. Product orientation is a lost or incomprehensible subject around here anymore.

In the meantime, I like being a dinsoaur who hasn't "moved forward", it's 2014 yada yada solely because I wanted a Berry key and trackpad. So as such, I leave that "this is now" wisdom to the people who believe they have a far broader and smarter business acumen than John Chen.

I'm excited, and certainly willing to drop Sprint in a heartbeat if I had to
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-02-14 04:07 AM
    I really like my Z30 but I definitely miss the track pad and the call buttons, its sometimes a bit of a scramble to slide the button across to answer a call. I must say that it is frustrating when trying to correct or change something with gestures, the track pad is so much more accurate so for me quicker.
    So I will celebrate its return and may even be tempted to treat myself.
    03-02-14 06:11 AM
    I love how people who use or crave the belt or hang on to their 9900 are now self proclaimed power users. I used PKB devices all the way back to the Treo 600 initial release. Heck even my calculator through Engineering school was a TI-92 with full QWERTY.

When the BBOS 7 devices introduced the touchscreen to the all the high end BBOS devices, are stored using it for navigating through the OS and doing various functions and I got faster and more efficient than any previous BlackBerry. In fact when I'd have to work on my kids 9360's it was so frustrating an slow to have to be fully reliant on the track pad to do anything.

Then I upgraded to a Z10. Now after using it for about 11 months I found that when I had to help setup my mother-in-laws Q10 that the PKB was slower and cumbersome to type on. The small 1:1 screen is simply a joke and that is the worst decision BlackBerry made with the device and a 4:3 or 16:9 would have been much better BB10 experience than the Q10 has now as a package.

I have no love for the trackpad because in devices that I have owned or supported through the extended family they have a 50% failure rate. Plus after not using them for a while I see that is is much slower to go to a spot to tell the screen to select another spot than it is to just have my finger to go straight to the spot. I will not buy any device that has an optical trackpad because it will have been made, based on my experience, more likely to malfunction.

I think the true definition of a power user is someone who can take the newest tools and technology available to them and make themselves more productive than they were previously. That's what technology and engineers strive to do. Some people on CrackBerry have done that, and some haven't. I know that I use my phone many, many more hours per week now than I ever did on any small screen BlackBerry. Don't need a PlayBook to compliment the device either.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk likes this.
    03-02-14 06:27 AM
    You just made your own definition of a power user. Unfortunately for you, I don't think Blackberry agrees with you. And just because something works for you, does not mean you are in the majority.

For all of the "power users" I know, screen size is not an issue...even on the 9900.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-02-14 07:48 AM
    lol i think i was living under the rock and never knew this definition of power user before.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-02-14 11:02 AM
    You just made your own definition of a power user.

Seems to be a popular pastime in this thread.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think Blackberry agrees with you.

Speaking on behalf of the company now, are we? LOL

What Blackberry is doing is nursing their tiny remaining userbase to try to keep the rest (mostly working for institutions that issue Blackberries to staff, or who can't afford to change devices every year) from abandoning them.

They are fighting a losing battle, as marketshare surveys have repeatedly demonstrated.

The fact that virtually all of their ex-users are now using full-touchscreen devices should be proof enough that most of the world is not clamoring for PKB devices, and that is not the determining factor for most people any more.

Yes, the PKB partisans are vocal about their partisanship. Nothing new about that.

And all this coming from a guy who would actually consider owning a Q20, depending on what the final product and OS integration looks like.

The difference is that I'm not a rabid dog about it, like it's some kind of religion for me.

Lastly: one of BlackBerry's absolute strongest markets worldwide for legacy BBOS devices is Indonesia. And guess what? I did a survey of Indonesian Crackberry users before any details on the "Jakarta" device were available and the people who said they hoped the "Jakarta" device would be a full touchscreen device outnumbered the people who hoped it would be a PKB device by 3.5 to 1.

Yes, the whole world definitely is clamoring for PKB devices. Not.
    03-02-14 01:55 PM
657 ... 2324252627