I agree until BES users are done upgrading old phones then I predict they will sell less after that.
    in real world this is called product life cycle
    02-28-14 10:38 PM
    All the legacy BES users I see on the internal boards are asking why they aren't being switched to iPhones and Android, and complain about small screens.

Posted via CB10
    some of the major corporations have already shifted to iphones, another loss for bb.
    02-28-14 10:42 PM
    That's an insult to all those BB engineers that perfected the BlackBerry UX . Sadly they got rid of those engineers and had to learn everything again, the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    The engineers that could not fix the memory leaks after a decade.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    kbz1960 and johnnyuk like this.
    02-28-14 11:43 PM
    The engineers that could not fix the memory leaks after a decade.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    Different engineers lol, but those were also severely limited by specs and security requirements

03-01-14 02:50 AM
    CrackBerry members are very unrepresentative of the majority of BlackBerry users.

That point seems to get abused a lot and shoehorned into allegedly "proving" just about any particular stance people feel like trotting it out as so-called "proof" for.

What we know is that CB users are probably not perfectly representative of the entire userbase. What we do not know is how exactly they differ from the "typical" user.

We ALSO know that the VAST MAJORITY of CB users are not squeaky wheels in the forums.

Ok, I'll ask you this, what is there to see, do or talk about for a BBOS user on CB? It's all about BB10. Why would a BBOS user visit CB anymore?

Well you can't generate news on a platform that has no news associated with it.

1. Yes, there are only 49 completely dedicated forum sections here for legacy OS users. There is really no place for them to go around here.
    2. BBOS app development is almost dead, there is rarely any news to report in this area, however Alicia Ehrlich does do an "App Roundup" blog post on BBOS apps from time-to-time anyway.
    3. BBOS OS development is completely dead, so there is virtually never any news to report in this category.
    4. There are rarely any new BBOS devices released, so there is no news to report here. When they do get released (e.g. the 9720), Crackberry reports on them.

Whereas BB10 is a dynamic platform, lots of changes happening all the time, new apps, new OS builds, new company announcements, new partnerships, etc etc. OF COURSE there is more news to report in this category. That has nothing to do with whether CB is "unfriendly" to legacy OS users. Any more than a general automobile forum is "unfriendly" to owners of a 1957 Chevrolet.

CB is a BB10 bubble.

No it is not. There is a lot of activity on the legacy OS forums. Perhaps you think that because you don't frequent them?

Does the following small snippet look like a "ghost town" to you? (Bear in mind I captured that at 12:30AM, so a lot of the "yesterday" activity in reality is really "today")
    Attached Thumbnails The Trackpad is Coming Back! Q20-crackberry_legacy_forum_partial_2014-03-01.png  
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-01-14 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    kbz1960 and johnnyuk like this.
    03-01-14 03:01 AM
    It will make text selection a million times easier

I don't disagree, but in my view at least half of that reason is poor UI design in BB10, which could be fixed.

Go run an Android app on BB10 and compare the predictability of cursor movement and text copying to BB10. World of difference, once you understand how each works. Same physical device. Both are touch UI's.

A good example of OS7 functionality is "Themes", I would love the ability to customize my device in that manner.

That is definitely one of the features of the legacy devices that I never understood why they thought was so uninteresting to not offer any equivalent in BB10. Other than their initial "puritanism" that they were going to set out some not particularly fully fleshed-out concrete design paradigms that could never be crossed.

It was an ambitious concept, but unfortunately, Apple UI designers they are not. And they handicapped the TAT people, so we ended up with a "meh" UI.

Did anyone mention that this might be the first BB10 device that's usable while wearing gloves?

My 9800's trackpad and buttons remained functional when I was wearing gloves. I miss that on my Z10.

Someone already explained earlier ITT that there are gloves that can be used to solve that problem on a touchscreen.

Many of the typical BlackBerry power users are not that technically savvy.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that statement in and of itself is sort of sad, really. Something highly ironic about so-called "power users" being technically illiterate. Perhaps the label "power user" might be mis-applied in this case..
    03-01-14 03:16 AM
    It was probably far too late to change the design. The Z3 seems really bland me too device...

Re: the Z3 being a touch device, you realize that the device that BB was planning to introduce into the Indonesian market, before Chen made the Foxconn deal, was a QWERTY device, right?

It had already passed through the telecom certification process there.

Clearly Chen & Co. figured out what the Indonesians really wanted, before it was too late.

And guess what: it dovetails perfectly with what my own poll of Indonesian Crackberry users said they wanted, overwhelmingly.

Inconvenient data-points...

So if the buttons are so important in Indonesia, then why did cheap Android devices decimate BlackBerry there?

More inconvenient data points for the True Believers.
    lnichols and avt123 like this.
    03-01-14 04:09 AM
    I'll copy and paste Until ppl get the point. It's sad that every forum page is filled with hate and dislike for this one particular phone lol I'm on a mission to spread positive vibes about the Q20 amongst the hate

Yes, and with all these other people "spreading their personal version of 'positive vibes'", what we end up with is a bunch of people all yelling at the same time, resulting in either no one hearing anyone else or convincing anyone else of much.
    03-01-14 04:12 AM
    Was it you that kept bothering Chen about bringing back the belt?

I just realized, after all these years, what Dad really meant when he threatened to "Go get the belt" when I was misbehaving!

OH NOEZ, ANYTHING BUT THE BELT!!#*!+!%!!!!!

They finally realised there are more "belfastdispatchers" out there in the real world then users...

NooOOoOOOOOoOooOOoOOoooo!!!!!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-01-14 04:12 AM
    Re: the Z3 being a touch device, you realize that the device that BB was planning to introduce into the Indonesian market, before Chen made the Foxconn deal, was a QWERTY device, right?

It had already passed through the telecom certification process there.

Clearly Chen & Co. figured out what the Indonesians really wanted, before it was too late.

And guess what: it dovetails perfectly with what my own poll of Indonesian Crackberry users said they wanted, overwhelmingly.

Inconvenient data-points...

More inconvenient data points for the True Believers.
    Yeah, excuse me while I watch the Z3 flop, next to any cheap android the only thing they have in common is the large screen. Where are the added value services? What's the USP? Nothing, that's the answer, not even BBM anymore.

It's hold on to the keyboard fans or nothing for BlackBerry at the moment.

And they know it.

Edit: and whatever pools BlackBerry have been following for the past 2 years have been clearly 100% wrong. They simply asked the wrong people, they asked the entire market, not existing BlackBerry users be they corporate or private users.

03-01-14 04:27 AM
    "I don't necessarily disagree with that, but that statement in and of itself is sort of sad, really. Something highly ironic about so-called "power users" being technically illiterate. Perhaps the label "power user" might be mis-applied in this case"

I don't understand your confusion, power users are just that, users, they don't need to know how things work, they just need it to work.

03-01-14 04:42 AM
    Yeah, excuse me while I watch the Z3 flop

Care to make a wager on that?

I say they sell at least 7M of them in the 365 days after hitting stores.

What's your prediction?
    03-01-14 05:35 AM
    Care to make a wager on that?

I say they sell at least 7M of them in the 365 days after hitting stores.

What's your prediction?
    They'll be lucky if they sell 1 million of them. After 365 days it will not even be for sale anymore, similar to the Z10.

03-01-14 05:38 AM
    They'll be lucky if they sell 1 million of them. After 365 days it will not even be for sale anymore, similar to the Z10.

OK, deal.

Now, what happens if they sell 3M?
    03-01-14 05:42 AM
    OK, deal.

Now, what happens if they sell 3M?
    Then were both wrong lol, not the end of the world.

03-01-14 06:04 AM
    I think close to three million Z3s will be sold in one year. Possibly even more.
    03-01-14 07:48 AM
    Different engineers lol, but those were also severely limited by specs and security requirements

Specs and security requirements equal memory leaks?
    03-01-14 08:54 AM

Whatever they sell I hope they aren't making millions of them to only sit in a warehouse to be wrote down once again.
    03-01-14 09:00 AM
    Whatever they sell I hope they aren't making millions of them to only sit in a warehouse to be wrote down once again.
    Foxconn is in control of the inventory management and the risk associated with building too much. BlackBerry is likely only getting a small fee per device sold. I hope it sells well because it will show BlackBerry that they can sell devices if priced properly and competitively out of the gate.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-01-14 09:09 AM
    Specs and security requirements equal memory leaks?
    All the apps were basically installed and ran securely in the ram, that's what made BB so secure. The more apps you used the more that memory would diminish.

For the record BB10 also suffers from some mysterious disappearing internal memory, some blame the android part for it. BB10 just happened to have plenty of it otherwise you'd see bigger problems.

03-01-14 09:14 AM
    For the record BB10 also suffers from some mysterious disappearing internal memory, some blame the android part for it.

You just love to trump things up on the products you don't like, eh?

There is no "disappearing memory".

There is an "Other storage" (not RAM) pool that is not end-user documented. It is basically protected storage on the device and not user-accessible. The assumption is that this is where apps, app installers and protected app data reside by default in order to make it hard to view, copy or exploit protected content.

Probably if I installed the BB10 developer tools I could learn more about that, but since I'm not an app developer I never bothered to do that.
    03-01-14 03:39 PM
    You just love to trump things up on the products you don't like, eh?

There is no "disappearing memory".

There is an "Other storage" (not RAM) pool that is not end-user documented. It is basically protected storage on the device and not user-accessible. The assumption is that this is where apps, app installers and protected app data reside by default in order to make it hard to view, copy or exploit protected content.

Probably if I installed the BB10 developer tools I could learn more about that, but since I'm not an app developer I never bothered to do that.
    Did I say RAM? I said internal memory, read again.

03-01-14 03:41 PM

RAM is internal memory. It stands for Random Access MEMORY.

If you're not talking about RAM then you're not talking about internal memory, you're getting it confused with internal storage.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-01-14 04:05 PM

I know what you wrote. You are not using the proper terminology.

It is storage, not "memory" aka Random Access Memory, aka RAM.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    03-01-14 04:13 PM
    I know what you wrote. You are not using the proper terminology.

It is storage, not "memory" aka Random Access Memory, aka RAM.
    So a memory card is not a memory card anymore?

Samsung calls them memory cards. Since when this is not proper terminology?

http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mem...s-accessories/

03-01-14 04:29 PM
657 ... 2223242526 ...