I am post #349 (well maybe). IMHO this has been talked to death. We have to rely on Chen and his decisions. He is listening to us so lets just get on with our lives and see what happens.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-25-14 10:13 AM
    Perhaps, but it's hard to say. I'm sure for most it's not a huge deal since it's just a quick motion. When I'm watching a video (I don't play games or browse in full screen mode) I'm usually more inclined to check or answer an incoming notification than go to the home screen. When I hear my alert go off I tap once and see the alert scrolling in the task bar. I either leave it (it goes back to full when I tap again) or swipe to see the full message.

Considering that Samsong just brought the off screen buttons back in the S5 I'd say I'm right

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-25-14 10:18 AM
    excellent, now I can throw away my iphone as soon as this new q20 comes out.

I like chen more than the ketchup guy,

he is absolutely listening to the users not the fancy and purty device lovers.
    02-25-14 10:30 AM
    The need for buttons is ridiculous, and redundant. The Z10, Z30, and now Z3 are innovative for many reasons, one reason being they are button-less. One step forward two steps back. Many that have migrated from a legacy device, including myself, have adapted and have grown to appreciate the gesture based UI. Rather than changing devices to accommodate legacy users put out some marketing to illustrate the advantages of this UI....again it all comes down to marketing.

Z30 on 10.2.1.537 in Canada
    02-25-14 10:30 AM
    The need for buttons is ridiculous, and redundant. The Z10, Z30, and now Z3 are innovative for many reasons, one reason being they are button-less. One step forward two steps back. Many that have migrated from a legacy device, including myself, have adapted and have grown to appreciate the gesture based UI. Rather than changing devices to accommodate legacy users put out some marketing to illustrate the advantages of this UI....again it all comes down to marketing.

Chen never said anything about the full touch devices, he specifically said qwerty devices. For now anyway. Breath easy.

02-25-14 10:35 AM
    I just love the ones using iPhones glad that the belt is coming back, hey kb buttons have been on Q since day 1. So buttons are only important if it's a bbry and if bbry doesn't have the buttons you want you choose to use another phone that has no buttons
    02-25-14 10:35 AM
    Finally, a reason to seriously consider giving up my beloved 9900.

Sounds like it will be a "premium" device.

The SUPER BOLD that many have been craving.
    deercreekmichael and 2c like this.
    02-25-14 10:42 AM
    It will make text selection a million times easier

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech, deercreekmichael and 2c like this.
    02-25-14 10:46 AM
    People argued against no trackpad and buttons when Q10 first came out...now people argue against the trackpad and buttons for the Q20.

Poor BlackBerry haha, just can't please everyone.
    02-25-14 10:47 AM
    The need for buttons is ridiculous, and redundant.
    Maybe, but maybe not. But the belt/trackpad is just one element in the whole equation that has been keeping some legacy users (including vast majority of enterprise users) from migrating to BB10 devices. I personally value legacy's core functionalities/UI more than just additional buttons.

The Z10, Z30, and now Z3 are innovative for many reasons, one reason being they are button-less. One step forward two steps back. Many that have migrated from a legacy device, including myself, have adapted and have grown to appreciate the gesture based UI. Rather than changing devices to accommodate legacy users put out some marketing to illustrate the advantages of this UI....again it all comes down to marketing.
    You could be right, but the usual argument is that BB10 is now competing in the same turf as iOS/Android are in. So, no matter how superior we think BB10 might be, it has to be able to differentiate itself from others, so that consumers will feel like buying Bb10s over others. Apparently, that has not happened. There are so many potential users who were not convinced of the BB10, worth at least $1B in terms of the Z10 dollars alone.

I would suppose that the BB10 users are a real minority, many of whom reside in a fan site like this. So, it appears and sounds like a large number and vocal, but I am sure the silent majority far outnumbers BB10 users.
    02-25-14 10:47 AM
    Considering that Samsong just brought the off screen buttons back in the S5 I'd say I'm right

Back? Where did they go? Sammy has always had the home button and capacitive menu and back buttons.
    02-25-14 10:49 AM
    I'm all for it, anything that's gonna add to #TeamBlackberry10 user base is good. You all complained when the track pad was removed and now your complaining because it's back. This forum is starting to take things wayyy to serious instead of looking at the big picture. Gestures are not for everyone. Telling ppl to learn the gestures or get lost is the reason the market share for devices is the way it is now. Ppl just need to relax lol

BBM: 2B1F4D96 Channels: C00121E43
    02-25-14 10:52 AM
    Back? Where did they go? Sammy has always had the home button and capacitive menu and back buttons.
    I thought they did with the S4, must be wrong, however, shouldn't we judge Android by the most successful devices instead of some obscure sony that few buy?

02-25-14 10:54 AM
    I'm all for it, anything that's gonna add to #TeamBlackberry10 user base is good. You all complained when the track pad was removed and now your complaining because it's back. This forum is starting to take things wayyy to serious instead of looking at the big picture. Gestures are not for everyone. Telling ppl to learn the gestures or get lost is the reason the market share for devices is the way it is now. Ppl just need to relax lol

BBM: 2B1F4D96 Channels: C00121E43
    Amen, I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why this has gotten so many people bent out of shape!
    02-25-14 10:59 AM
    And I'm just guessing but I'm sure some owners complain about that, having to do two taps instead of one to get to home screen.

And with Bb10 their is zero taps, just a swipe. Much quicker. And at the bottom after the swipe you have your call, search, and camera. From any app a swipe and hook gets you to the hub. All the time I save by not having to lift my thumb, move to a single small button, press, etc.

Posted via CB10
    deptech and alpha beta gaga like this.
    02-25-14 11:02 AM
    People argued against no trackpad and buttons when Q10 first came out...now people argue against the trackpad and buttons for the Q20.

Poor BlackBerry haha, just can't please everyone.
    Yes they can: they sell the Q10 and Q20 side by side.

Now no one should be COMPLAINING is what.
    deercreekmichael likes this.
    02-25-14 11:04 AM
    Maybe, but maybe not. But the belt/trackpad is just one element in the whole equation that has been keeping some legacy users (including vast majority of enterprise users) from migrating to BB10 devices. I personally value legacy's core functionalities/UI more than just additional buttons.

You could be right, but the usual argument is that BB10 is now competing in the same turf as iOS/Android are in. So, no matter how superior we think BB10 might be, it has to be able to differentiate itself from others, so that consumers will feel like buying Bb10s over others. Apparently, that has not happened. There are so many potential users who were not convinced of the BB10, worth at least $1B in terms of the Z10 dollars alone.

I would suppose that the BB10 users are a real minority, many of whom reside in a fan site like this. So, it appears and sounds like a large number and vocal, but I am sure the silent majority far outnumbers BB10 users.
    If this is the approach they take with their new devices, I hope it's the right decision, I hope I'm wrong, and sales pick up.

However, if the great features of the OS are not mass marketed properly, a few extra buttons won't be the answer.

02-25-14 11:05 AM
    And with Bb10 their is zero taps, just a swipe. Much quicker. And at the bottom after the swipe you have your call, search, and camera. From any app a swipe and hook gets you to the hub. All the time I save by not having to lift my thumb, move to a single small button, press, etc.

Posted via CB10
    And so it's always two taps to get to your call screen. With a dedicated button it's always there in one press no matter what app. I make a lot of calls.

02-25-14 11:05 AM
    I certainly don't have any objection to this move; it appears that this is going to be a high end handset with a fairly healthy margin. Adding these controls back on a premium keyboard phone helps to differentiate it and give it a bit of a boost over the Q10, and it doesn't do anything to damage BB10 as an OS. I DO think they have to market it carefully, though, lest it be confused with legacy BBOS models.

That said, is this going to sell?
    02-25-14 11:07 AM
    but when the device is pictured typically the capacitive buttons aren't backlit: I didn't know they were there until I got my hands on one. So the S5 is still using the capacitive back and recent apps buttons, but still the hard home button. And a heart rate monitor... and other 'innovations' I'm not sure most people want... but they will sell 50 million of them.
    02-25-14 11:09 AM
    I thought they did with the S4, must be wrong, however, shouldn't we judge Android by the most successful devices instead of some obscure sony that few buy?

I think it's just the evolution of Android and manufacturers trying to make distinctive products. In the past, Android devices had home, menu, back, and search physical buttons. Then those buttons became capacitive. Then search went away. Then Sammy made the home button physical again. Then Google made one of the Nexus devices (can't remember which) with no physical or capacitive buttons, and other manufacturers followed suit. If the other manunfacturers thought it was so important, why did they use Google's on screen buttons instead of take a cue from Sammy and continue using a combination of physical/capacitive? Also, the on-screen buttons are able to be customized. You can switch the order and add different shortcuts.
    02-25-14 11:09 AM
    And so it's always two taps to get to your call screen. With a dedicated button it's always there in one press no matter what app. I make a lot of calls.

Are we not getting picky as consumers if we are complaining about one tap verses two, we're taking about one verses two seconds.

02-25-14 11:11 AM
    The 9900 was my favorite device...BB10 is the best OS out there...the best of both worlds!!! I will buy this in a heartbeat!!
    deercreekmichael and RJB55 like this.
    02-25-14 11:13 AM
    Are we not getting picky as consumers if we are complaining about one tap verses two, we're taking about one verses two seconds.

This move is to please business users, not consumers.

xanadome and deercreekmichael like this.
    02-25-14 11:13 AM
    This move is to please business users, not consumers.
    Yup, it might not even make it into stores. If it does it would be with a fraction of current carriers.
    02-25-14 11:16 AM
657 ... 1314151617 ...